Which CAM view do you guys prefer? Why?

Which CAM view do you guys prefer? Why?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Bumper, better sense of speed.
Cockpit is for VR, just looks wrong on tv and takes up to much screen space.

Bumper has disadvantages though. Close behind another car you can't see the track. Or maybe that teaches you to keep a bit of distance so you can see where you're going and not follow the other car blindly into the grass!

Chase cam.
Impervious to what others think.

Great way to see all cars around me, great way to see where all 4 wheels are situated on track, great way to see the performance of the car when braking/cornering.
Some who don't understand the external limits of their car could learn a thing or to from using this view.

I actually use both Chase cam or Bumper cam depending on the track. I use Chase cam more (probably 60/40) so I voted for that.

Do you cockpit guys not find it a bit restrictive with regards to seeing your surroundings? I tried a few laps with cockpit and felt I could barely see
Nope, not if you set up seat position (and in most titles, but annoyingly not GTS) and FOV correctly.

Then again if you have ever driven with a helmet, in comparison standard race title cockpit views are suddenly not restrictive.

Do you cockpit guys not find it a bit restrictive with regards to seeing your surroundings? I tried a few laps with cockpit and felt I could barely see
Depends on the car. Tried it with a couple of LMPs and was like driving looking through the slot in a post box but worse as you could not see the edge of the track over the wheel arches.

CJ

Nope, not if you set up seat position (and in most titles, but annoyingly not GTS) and FOV correctly.

Then again if you have ever driven with a helmet, in comparison standard race title cockpit views are suddenly not restrictive.

Ha... fair point.

Depends on the car. Tried it with a couple of LMPs and was like driving looking through the slot in a post box but worse as you could not see the edge of the track over the wheel arches.

CJ
You get used to it with LMP1's after a while.

The reality of what F1 drivers see is the most surprising one.

And just in case anyone can't bother to watch 4 minutes to see the end, this is the camera placement.

eye level.jpg

And one from a Formula 3.5 V8 driver.

What I love most about both of these is the number of people in the comments of both telling the actual drivers they are wrong about what they see!

Last edited:

I found that my spacial awareness improves with cockpit cam because I can see the car around me, gives me a better idea of the cars physical position on the track and in relation to other cars.

I found that my spacial awareness improves with cockpit cam because I can see the car around me, gives me a better idea of the cars physical position on the track and in relation to other cars.

I find the opposite though... I can't tell when the car is starting to slip and have less concept of other races. Maybe it's different when using a wheel as you get feedback when the car loses traction?

I find the opposite though... I can't tell when the car is starting to slip and have less concept of other races. Maybe it's different when using a wheel as you get feedback when the car loses traction?

No idea, I use a DS4 :lol:

But yeah, I also find it easier to catch the car when it snaps. It's something I got used to in PCars as the sterring input on console was insane (on controlelr), so the only way I could drive cars was if I could see the steering input (via the wheel), and then in F1 2017 as you can properly adjust the FOV.
GT Sport isn't as good in that regard, but I still find it easier to orientate myself with cockpit cam. I will admit that this is really, the first GT game I've been able to race properly in cockpit cam

I would love to see F1 drivers in real life try to drive when some guy in front using helicopter view is driving around knocking all the corner post markers over.

Edit : the wheel doesn't seem to give any slip feedback, its all sound and visual cues

Bumper.

Traditionally it was always due to the sensation of speed, these days it's just habit - any other view feels too weird.

It's not actually a cam on the bumper though. I think the camera still resides at the same longitudinal point along the cars length as the cockpit view... it just doesn't display any of the car.

In reality there is a zone in the view that you still have to treat as your car even if you can't see it...

gts.jpg

... this varies by car. Get a long bonnet coupe, and a sambabus and see how close you can get to the car infront before there's contact!

No idea, I use a DS4 :lol:

But yeah, I also find it easier to catch the car when it snaps. It's something I got used to in PCars as the sterring input on console was insane (on controlelr), so the only way I could drive cars was if I could see the steering input (via the wheel), and then in F1 2017 as you can properly adjust the FOV.
GT Sport isn't as good in that regard, but I still find it easier to orientate myself with cockpit cam. I will admit that this is really, the first GT game I've been able to race properly in cockpit cam

Good point re: seeing the steering wheel. I was able to be control the steering much more smoothly when I could see the wheel. Shame the rest went to shhhht

I can drive equally fast with the bumper, hood and cockpit view, but I prefer the hood view as it most closely resembles what you actually see from the windshield (I have a playseat, so if I'd use the cockpit view, I could see two steering wheels - my Logitech G25 and the in-game steering wheel of the car).
I cannot drive at all with the chase view, just can't.

When i started playing GT 1 i used chase cam, but for every new GT game i changed it, in GT 5/GT 6 i used hood cam, but in GT S i started with hood cam, but changed it to bumber cam, because i find it easier to find the right braking spot and in/exits in turns :).

I would love to see F1 drivers in real life try to drive when some guy in front using helicopter view is driving around knocking all the corner post markers over.

Edit : the wheel doesn't seem to give any slip feedback, its all sound and visual cues
GTS doesn't give much in that regard, plenty of other titles do. The amount of slip feedback you get in PC2 and to a slightly better degree in AC, is extremely good.

Sorry to cut up your post so much but I just wanted my reply to read a bit easier :)

Chase cam.
great way to see where all 4 wheels are situated on track

This is something that is a really good point, and I wish that the TV Pod camera view existed in GT with a semi ghosted version of the car in-front of you. Allowing you to see the wheels and the car, might not work great for all cars, but I would have dreamed about something like that when learning LMP1's in GT6.

Some who don't understand the external limits of their car could learn a thing or to from using this view.

I think this is true of any view where you can physically see the car though...

In sport mode I use bumper because of the rearview mirror and more useful hud. If hood cam provided the same I'd prefer it because it gives at least to me a closer view to the real thing, gives a better feeling of the car, also of surroundings (like a car next to you). However without a mirror it can't be used without mirror.

Chase cam.
Impervious to what others think.

Great way to see all cars around me, great way to see where all 4 wheels are situated on track, great way to see the performance of the car when braking/cornering.

100% agree. It shows your exact track position which really does help to eliminate contact - a lot of people could benefit from that not to mention the victims of spacially unaware people. And like you say you really can get a better feeling of what the car is doing. I used to do bumper cam all the time but found spacial awareness was restricted even with mirrors. Chase cam has made me faster and cleaner and in this game that really matters. Plus you get to see those lovely designs - otherwise whats the point in having them cos not everyone has time to watch a full replay!

Back