Which new or returning car are you most looking forward to giving a spin?

• Thread starter Magog
  • 69 comments
That's just up to video quality quality, angles, etc.

The CLK-LM has one only ever raced in one engine spec.
Then why exactly does this:

Sound so different from the one driving around Goodwood? Its clearly not the CLR looking at the shape of the greenhouse.

Last edited:
Then why exactly does this:

Sound so different from the one driving around Goodwood? Its clearly not the CLR looking at the shape of the greenhouse.

Because the camera is placed above the engine cover and you don't get much exhaust sound most likely.

This car had one engine, the GT108B 5.0l V8 which was a highly modified version of what they had used in the Sauber C9 and there is plenty of resource on that.

All the footage I've seen seems to suggest otherwise. Granted the FIA GT one I'm mainly going off the car that's appeared at Goodwood as its the one that shows up the most and is in the best quality but the one that raced at Le Mans seems to sound much deeper.

Just from that admittingly not all great clip, that sounds nothing like this:

And even listening to a meh quality clip from said 3rd round Hockenheim, still not hearing that deep roar:

The one at Goodwood has the wrong engine. It's not supposed to sound like that.

Last edited:
Because the camera is placed above the engine cover and you don't get much exhaust sound most likely.

This car had one engine, the GT108B 5.0l V8 which was a highly modified version of what they had used in the Sauber C9 and there is plenty of resource on that.
So went to the channel where that video was and interestingly found this one with multiple angles and again its sound nothing like the one from Goodwood:

However, I noticed something really different between the two: The exhaust.

Rear of the car seen around Goodwood:

1640491829980.png

1640491868398.png

Rear of the car in the above video:

1640491625470.png

1640491790456.png

I have several questions now.

So went to the channel where that video was and interestingly found this one with multiple angles and again its sound nothing like the one from Goodwood:

However, I noticed something really different between the two: The exhaust.

Rear of the car seen around Goodwood:

View attachment 1101724
View attachment 1101725

Rear of the car in the above video:

View attachment 1101722

View attachment 1101723

I have several questions now.

OK OK the CLK-LM with the central exhaust must be the one owned by a Japanese collector because it says ArtSports.co.jp on the airbox above the block. The one at Goodwood is owned by someone else who has obviously elected to replace the engine with a flat-plane crank V8. They didn't change the exhaust outlet though, unlike the Japanese one.

That's how it looked at Le Mans for comparison, couldn't find a better shot sadly.
Doesn't look that different to the Goodwood one to me.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211226-053922_YouTube.jpg
    Screenshot_20211226-053922_YouTube.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
OK OK the CLK-LM with the central exhaust must be the one owned by a Japanese collector because it says ArtSports.co.jp on the airbox above the block. The one at Goodwood is owned by someone else who has obviously elected to replace the engine with a flat-plane crank V8. They didn't change the exhaust outlet though, unlike the Japanese one.
Ah, I read about that Japanese collector one but didn't realize that was exactly what I was looking at. Weirdly though, the clips I watched from Le Mans and the FIA GT Championship have the car sounding completely different with the FIA one sounding alot closer to the one at Goodwood, which is what at first had me thinking there were two different V8s. I guess judging from how slightly unhealthy it sounds in that clip (at least in the low revs anyway), that's the reason the Goodwood car had its original replaced?

Last edited:
Ah, I read about that Japanese collector one but didn't realize that was exactly what I was looking at. Weirdly though, the clips I watched from Le Mans and the FIA GT Championship have the car sounding completely different with the FIA one sounding alot closer to the one at Goodwood, which is what at first had me thinking there were two different V8s. I guess judging from how slightly unhealthy it sounds in that clip (at least in the low revs anyway), that's the reason the Goodwood car had its original replaced?
The cross-plane V8 was used in the FIA GT Championship after Le Mans.

Edit: A total of 2 CLK-GTR's were built for the 1997 GT1 Championship and a third was added later on. Each of them had a V12 engine in the beginning. In 1998, 2 of them competed in the FIA GT1 Championship and the third, Chassis #5, was pretty much a spare I believe. At Le Mans, the 2 cars that had competed in the FIA GT1 Championship from rounds 1-3 had their aero changed and received the C9's engine without the turbos, subsequently turning them into CLK-LM's. After Le Mans, I suspect the crankshafts were changed from cross-plane to flat-plane, which would explain the different engine note. Aero upgrades put onto the cars for Le Mans stayed on them for the rest of the GT1 championship.

Last edited:
The cross-plane V8 was used in the FIA GT Championship after Le Mans.

Edit: A total of 2 CLK-GTR's were built for the 1997 GT1 Championship and a third was added later on. Each of them had a V12 engine in the beginning. In 1998, 2 of them competed in the FIA GT1 Championship and the third, Chassis #5, was pretty much a spare I believe. At Le Mans, the 2 cars that had competed in the FIA GT1 Championship from rounds 1-3 had their aero changed and received the C9's engine without the turbos, subsequently turning them into CLK-LM's. After Le Mans, I suspect the crankshafts were changed from cross-plane to flat-plane, which would explain the different engine note. Aero upgrades put onto the cars for Le Mans stayed on them for the rest of the GT1 championship.
A few things to clarify:
They started the 1998 season racing with 4 GTRs (2 of them run by Persson Motorsports all season) while developing and testing the CLK LM.
It really was a completely new car, not just aero upgrades and a different engine on a GTR for Le Mans, they did not just upgrade their old GTR chassis.

Second on my list is probably the FXX. Hopefully it's more than just a more impressive looking La Ferrari.

Last edited:
A few things to clarify:
They started the 1998 season racing with 4 GTRs (2 of them run by Persson Motorsports all season) while developing and testing the CLK LM.
It really was a completely new car, not just aero upgrades and a different engine on a GTR for Le Mans, they did not just upgrade their old GTR chassis.
I was wondering about that when reading the post, because the size and shape of the cockpit or dome are completely different from the GTR to the LM. The GTR looked more bulbous, with the pillars reaching further towards the sides of the car. The LM was a noticable evolution toward more of a prototype than GT car.

I remember when the 1st generation came out in 86. I loved those cars and I always wanted one. So they were always among my favorite cars in every GT I have played. In fact that might be my 1st car in GT7 now that I think about it

kjb
I remember when the 1st generation came out in 86. I loved those cars and I always wanted one. So they were always among my favorite cars in every GT I have played. In fact that might be my 1st car in GT7 now that I think about it

Has there even been another mass produced cheap mid-engine, rear-wheel-drive, 2-seater besides the MR2? None I can think of off hand.

Has there even been another mass produced cheap mid-engine, rear-wheel-drive, 2-seater besides the MR2? None I can think of off hand.
MG F, Fiat X1/9, Pontiac Fiero.
AZ1 and Honda Beat if you want to count kei cars.
Opel Speedster/Vauxhall VX220 were pretty reasonably priced new, they're kinda rarer now.
Early Porsche Boxsters were relatively expensive new but on the second-hand market the prices aren't that different to an MR2.

There's probably more, but that's all I can think of off the top of my head that would be cheaper than a second hand 20 year old Elise.

My friend had one of those and took me out drinking in it. Of course he was swerving all over the place and I threw up. Luckily since it was a convertible I managed to only get it on the outside of the car.
No, luckily you managed to not kill anyone. Idiot.

My friend had one of those and took me out drinking in it. Of course he was swerving all over the place and I threw up. Luckily since it was a convertible I managed to only get it on the outside of the car.
Well, at least if the car's in GT7 you'll be able to go drink-driving with your buddy without being selfish, dangerous pricks.

Although we have no evidence right now that it will be in GT7, so I don't know why it's even in this thread - about cars in GT7 people are looking forward to driving - in the first place.

Back