~which skyLIne~ ?

• Thread starter de2es
  • 40 comments
hi.
im pretty new,
and wanted to ask,
which skyline is the best out of all of them? (in gt3)
is it calsonic? other?
please reply:) :)

My R32 that I won and did the GT-R race with, cause I refuse to drive one for any other reason... I am the anti Skyline fanboy... >_>

Probably the Calsonic though... but I haven't even touched it... refuse to drive any of them unless I MUST...

The R34 Vspec and Vspec II are capable of the most HP, but the racing ones are probably have capability to do faster laps.
I don't know that any of the race versions are very different, I'd just go with the Calsonic. It's the best looking :)

any is good, but it depends on what youre lookign for

r32 gtr
pros: good car and chassis dynamics
cons: not as powerful when fully tuned as other models

r32 gts
pros: good drfit car
cons: expected more power from the rb20det =\ less than 500 hp

r33 gtr & 400r
pros: slide friendly and fun to drive, my favorite of the production skylines
cons: unstable/twitchy rear end thru corners (hence the pro =P) can be diluted with better settings

r33 lm
pros:rwd
cons:800hp fully tuned (i think) is abit much for rwd w/o tcs or asm, and only comes in silver

r34 gtr
pros: most powerful non race body skyline when fully tuned, very fast stock for "280hp" delgihtful and easy to drive on fast tracks
cons: awkward computerized handling characterics when pushed to the limit, and cant floor it exiting slow tight corners (ease up on throttle)

JGTC r34s
pro: fast, predictible and can handle other race cars higher up in class
cons: cant enter into normal car races

Welsome to GTP de2es! First you have to decide what type of race you want to enter your skyline in. It's probably good to have one racing and one non-racing Skyline anyway. The racing ones are basically the same, but the Calsonic seems to be a favourite and some say it drives slightly better. As for non-racing, Nismo is awesome. The V-Spec II R34(J) is capable of being tuned to 1000+ HP, but you'll have to know your way around vehicle settings to tune it right so it doesn't just become a rocket-powered tank. Check out www.gtvault.com for hundreds of user-submitted settings for every car in the game. Fumes is a reliable user on that site whose setups usually work quite well. Good luck!

Azuremen
My R32 that I won and did the GT-R race with, cause I refuse to drive one for any other reason... I am the anti Skyline fanboy... >_>

Probably the Calsonic though... but I haven't even touched it... refuse to drive any of them unless I MUST...

I agree :) 👍

I really fail to see why the Skyline is so popular. They are heavy beasts, even after weight mods.

The Calsonic and Pennzoil are the best in my opinion. They handle awesomly and are fair fast too.

Ah the Pennzoil, I knew I was forgeting something. I can't comment on it as I don't have one in my garage. I'm sure it's damn good though, infact I'll get one tonight.

Sohcahtoa
I agree :) 👍

I really fail to see why the Skyline is so popular. They are heavy beasts, even after weight mods.
Have you driven one? sat in one? I am sure you will want to differ after you have believe me. (No I am not saying I have sat in one or driven one.)

The R32 RWD is a very capable car for RWD races but if you want to have a 4WD Syline, buy the R34. It's the only non racing Skyline that has a 6 speed transmission, and it's a real advantage.

Pimp racer, my personal problems with the Skyline is weight... fat fat car... and the fact that it can be driven fast with less skill than say an NSX, because of all the computers involved... you can launch them at 8000 RPM and the computers will still make sure the power gets to the ground... Its more a driving computer or something...

All the JGTC Skylines (Calsonic, Loctite & Pennzoil) are RWD. The Pennzoil can get more power, but it's heavier, so it ends up slower.

For me, the S-Tune R32 is the most enjoyable with the DFP.

Sort of goes like this in Skylines...

1)Nismo S-Tune R32 Skyline
2)Nismo 400R
3)Mine's Skyline GT-R

Azuremen
Pimp racer, my personal problems with the Skyline is weight... fat fat car... and the fact that it can be driven fast with less skill than say an NSX, because of all the computers involved... you can launch them at 8000 RPM and the computers will still make sure the power gets to the ground... Its more a driving computer or something...
Yeah that car does have a lot of computers something like 8! Crazy huh? If you would like to know ALOT more on this car go check out the Nissan Performance Zone and I am sure Skyline GTR guy has posted a lot of things about the car. Also you might wanna watch the Topgear test of the R34 Skyline.

I really don't want to more about the car, I have little interest in it, except understanding its basic ablitities, though I doubt I'll ever have to compete with one in real life.

Its Nissan... its turbo, its AWD, and its got 6 cylinders... none of which I like too much.. Turbo I can handle... just cause of the MR2 GT-S... and GT-4 Celica, but it has AWD... :P But Toyota is my company, and always will be.

Yeah, I know the GT-R is a damned fast car, but its not cause of a good driver, and the computers make it much easier to drive fast. Which kinda ruins things a bit for others :P

Yo, thought I'd stop by to say something about this since Speak of the devil, I've been doing a bit of research on Skyline models and have driven a few in GT3.

Z32 beat me to the punch (and since it takes me a while to get time to actually reply more will...) but...

I'm not sure what one would label a 'best' car, it's all down to driver's opnion and what they are trying to do. I mean sure on one end it could be an obvious but on another it's not.

As for some comments...

Azuremen... and Sochahtoa...

Okay... first I was going to ask what beef you have with the Skylines, I guess on one end you could be right, but only idoits or novice drivers (and I'd rather be a novice than an idoit) tend to let the computer systems and such of a GTR model run the car. A true skilled driver can really open it up and do more damage, and hell, if you have a Skyline (GTR that is), whomever would defeat a said driver driving one, would be on one or a combo of situations and or more.

1- the driver sucks

2- The opponet is a better driver

3- The opponet has a 'better' car than yours (depending on the situation)

4- The opponet has a car that's not as 'good' as yours (that's even worse)

5- the course you're on (turns and such) puts your car at a disatvantage in some way

6- You're Takeshi 'Zack' Nakazato...

Okay the last one is a joke but still... I guess I could see what you mean, but come on... that's sounding a bit one sided and rather biased, even if it's sorta true although I don't think all of the GTR's driving is heavy on computer stuff, but then again I never drove IRL and I can't exaclty walk into a Nissan Dealership and say 'Hey, Can I test your $60,000 machine so I can prove somebody wrong. Forget the fact I'm still unfamilar with real driving and the fact Skyline GTR models aren't even officaly solid in America to begin with.' or ask anybody else.

It's heavy becuase it has all that damn technolgy in it, ATTESA, the four wheel steering, the RB26DETT Bi Turbo Inline 6. On one end I can see what you mean I guess... but the Skyline GTR is a great car, if you have a problem with at the least the GTR models... what about the FR models like the 32 GTS types?

On one end, one would wonder what's the fuss about em, the same can be said for Ferraris, Lan Evos, Corvettes, Porsches, Lambos, TVRs, Mustangs, Lotus', BMWs, Vipers, etc...

But what's the fuss about complaining about em? All of them excell and fall in some areas somewhere... whatever and wherever it may be...

You could argue that it's only the tech of the Skyline GTR models (note, I said GTR, not all Skylines obviousy carry the same technology besides something obvious...) that they run fast, on one end it's true, but also the fact a driver could be very skilled and know just what the hell he/she is doing...

Same for any car, and up to some point Nissan is famious for it and by some rule a sports car has to change down a certain line less something speaks otherwise or whatever. The Corvette design has remained fundamentaly the same, FR, origonally a Inline 6 (a crap worthy one at best) before it had a V8), construction part of fiberglass to some degree, etc. Or a Lancer Evolution, emphasis on Evolution, you could say they are only fast for one the 4WD and later toys like the AYC which relies less on human manipulation (that started with the Evo IV, picture someone like Kyouichi looking down on other Lan evo drivers past no III since that means more is expected of them since a damn computer is handling them far as he would see it... least with an intresting fan-fiction written somewhere but that's another tale for never...)... despite some crap proving otherwise...

Or for a TVR, or Lotus given some models are very light yet have engines with a good to 'Oh My Freaking Gawd!! they are powerful' engines that could make owners of -insert super cars here- start to sweat. Saying they're only good becuase they lack weight...

Yada yada yack yack yack. Maybe I'm somehow being a bit of a pain but that's the case or so I figure of it anyway. Feel free to say I'm wrong about it in some way somehow. Maybe it's the fact far as GT is concerned 9/10 if I have a car like a Corvette or whatever, I don't feel any given car, be it a Vette, GTR or any RWD model, even a EG or EK (never under-estimate any, I repeat ANY car, the monster inside could not be the engine or suspension or something but the driver) Civic can find dominace somewhere in a given situation. Any car can be defeated. I'm guessing you really just not like the Skyline models in general or at the least the GTR ones, but you tell me.

If noting else, so what if a Skyline has ATTESA, an RB26DETT, yack, yack, and I'm up against an example... even a RWD model... for me, and maybe this will change somehow, don't ask how or why since I don't know... I just figure...

"Winner or loser, you'll never know until you race!"

Does all that computer stuff really make a difference? We will only tell in a given race.

As for what in the freaking hell my favorite Skylines are... since that was the original topic at hand... For me they are all good... it's to what I may want to do...

The R32 Model, and perhaps Initial D has a little to do with it, but it's a cool car as far as I'm concerned. It's the first of the modern GTR models, yes it has an understeering tendency, same for the Audi S4 but if you know just how to work a car, it can cut thru corners like a knife. Plus it has the cleanest look, I try and not look at cars for their look but their performace but all freaking hell, I like how the 32 looks, espicaly in black but heck, how many people don't have GTR 32's in black?
Maybe I'll be MR exception but still... may want to get one when I come home for Thanksgiving break, put on sims, turn off ASM and TCS and give it a few runs around a course, get a feel for it and crap.

The R33 is a car that tends to oversteer a lot, as Gabkicks said somewhere even more so than a Viper GTS... it's driver's opinion but hell, if you don't know how to drive that GTR you can spin out with it like almost any other car save for maybe FF, but it's a car I had used a LOT in GT1 and GT2, it's good fun too.

The R34 is another car I like, it seams the better balanced far as I figure, then again it's been God knows how many weeks since I've turned a lap in that 4WD, they do seam 'easy' to drive compared to other cars, but heck, that means more is probaly expected, and if you lose, the driver whom you were up against must be good or has a car that's 'better' than yours in some way.

The Mines tuned R34, is a monster... the Japenese word for it I can't seam to recall... even the guys at best Motoring felt it was too fast, being able to accelerate as fast as GT500 cars from the Japan GT, and I don't think they were exaggerating either. Trying to beat a time set on a course with that car can be easy or hard depending on what other car you're trying to use. I haven't given it too much of a drive but it is something that can be a blast to drive I guess.

The Race model Skylines are very good too, haven't tested them enough to really say much, same for the RWD models but that may change soon enough.

Not sure what else to say, I've bound to have forgotten something imporant, oh well, life goes on.

Till later.

I can see the Initial D influence on ya just a bit...

Umm, the computers assist no matter what in the Skyline, making an ok driver good, a good one better, and a skilled one damned nice looking. I've heard this from commentaries from mulitple PRO level drivers in REAL life, such as Millen and what not.

Additionally, I simply have something against any car that weighs over 2700 lbs, and has more the 4 cylinders. I dislike the Supra, even though I am a Toyota fan, for that very reason. Yes, it is a bias, and a strong one at that :sly:

I also tend to dislike Skylines cause they are such a fanboy car... just ask any group of rice boys, they will know WHAT a Skyline is (though not much about it, one guy that thought Skylines were awesome didn't understand the diff between FWD and RWD) and then mention an NSX, an Elise, or something that is also very amazing, and they'll be like "whatever."

Yes, I do like the AE86, despite its current fanboy status. But thats because I was trying to find a cheap, affordable RWD car that still got decent gas milage. Thus, the RX-7 FCS3 was killed off imediately. The 200SX S12 had a rather weak engine, torquey, kinda, but weak power output. So that got killed. The 240SX S13 was removed to due excessive weight on and prices due to the year the KA24DE engine was used. Thus I was left with the AE86 and the MR2 AW11, both sharing the same 4A-GE powerplant, and light weight (around 2300 lbs)

Yes, it is an extreme bias, but thats how it goes with people sometimes. Yes, I know the GT-R is fast, and powerful, and an amazing car. But I just can't bring myself to like and find it all "ohhh and ahhh."

Azuremen

No offense, but that's what we call a technological advancement. Wether it deters the need for skill or not, it makes performing a task easier, and this is what the general public likes. So, in turn, this is what Nissan gives them.

Yes, it is was the general public likes, but I race, and I HATE ABS systems and and power steering, and the public likes those.

Most things designed for the public are not good for an enthuisist. ABS now, the fairly modern stuff is nice, and not intrusive like it is on cars I can afford, but power steering drives me insane...

Yes, things will advance, and yes, they will appeal to the masses. But I am not the masses, so all that stuff can go to hell :P

Well, I do suppose that about sums it up! ^_^

Anyway, on a more useful note, R32 GT-R all the way, in my honest opinion. Sure, it doesn't match up to the other Skylines in maximum power, but I keep most of my vehicles under 400HP anyway. ^_^

Yeah... I am a stubborn ass about these things.

I must admit though, that in a common pratical sense, most technology is a good things, such as ECS, TCS, ASM, ABS, and other control assists. Most peopel do not know how to control a car under the limits. This in turn makes the roads safer for drivers.

Its just for me... alot of the intrudes into my ablitity to drive... ECS (Benz's ASM and TCS) made the C230 I've driven, combined with the steering and ABS.... extremely awkward to drive... ABS in the older SVX and currently the Town and Country Van I've been shoved into driving... extremely irritating...

Its mostly just a matter of personal taste at this point.

I can agree with you in a way, actually. As a GT3 drifter, ASM and TCS are the enemy in most, if not all cases.

Well, in real life, from a safety standpoint, ASM and TCS a good for most people... however, I have the control to make a Tercel go 90 degrees sideways and bring it back onto the road and keep it going straight. ASM always induces understeer... which is the bane of my existence. On snow, if I hadn't pulled the E-brake and oversteered... I've had it were I would've slid into on coming traffic cause of understeer induced by the snow.

Yeah, I kill ASM in GT3 as well.. makes the cars feel very unnatural...

Why is it you hate such things as power steering and ABS(i dont really like ABS either)?

Power Steering, how can you not like this? Now what i am curious about is that is it the power steering altogether or the fact that some cars have very dead steering wheels in which you do not get alot of feedback from the wheels?

Firstly ABS, will not effect you unless you are JUMPING on the brakes really hard in normal driving. On that note i personally dislike ABS because i find it rather harsh in the way it acts, having been in many cars and trying it out by slamming them on from a high spped just is well a bit violent for my tastes, BUT it is helpful for those other drives who would normaly lock the wheels and panic and make matters worst for themselves.

But in GT3 the ASM and TCS are a little bit over the top for my liking...

F1's & Sportscars have power steering.

Azureman - You seem to say that you drive like you are on a racetrack when you are on the public roads?

Latest Posts

Back