Who else is giving up on GT Sport?

• Thread starter Will Dias
  • 278 comments
Question is what is your DR and SR?

What is the problem in having a level field? Gives more competition i think. People with no knowledge of tuning will suffer. Actual driver skill is tested in a level field.

How many races have you won in a level field? What are your FIA Points?

lol, What is this?? ...I've won my fair share of races, I haven't poled outside of the top 4 in the past 2 weeks for any race I've qualified. I'm currently at B_A.

...But more to the point what does that have to do with anything? People with no knowledge of tuning, should either learn or play another game. This is 'Gran Turismo' not 'Crusin USA'. Myself and others would like to see the depth in potential of this racing sim actually put into competition. This isn't NASCAR. I should be able to adjust my ride height, gear ratios, lsd, ect. That's what has been at the heart of the series since PS1, testing, tuning, racing, rinsing, repeating. I don't care if some players don't know what their doing, all the more incentive to learn.

Again, go ahead and lock the power, weight and vehicle class for the race. I actually prefer it be that way, because that's the way races at all these tracks are governed. Everything else about your car should be free to tune. This would add so much more depth and competition into sport mode, again, more in tune with real life racing.

If that doesn't sound like fun, you're playing the wrong game.

i'm not sure if my answer will satisfy you but for me(!) GTS delivers in the following departments better over other racing titles:
- replays
- lighting
- car model movement on track
- ambience sounds
- menus
- presentation (i.e. music, over all mood)
- fantasy track driving fun
- except iracing it delivers a very solid online experience with pretty good racing

i am a sucker for how a game is presented to me and how it feels to be in the game besides the pure driving phyiscs. i know i know, physics are important and all, but to me the overall feeling i get from a game is more important than one particular aspect.
thats why i put also a high emphasis on the things i mentioned above.

What your list accomplishes is showing how barren and lacking GTsport really is when you have to use presentation and replays to find strengths in a car/racing GAME.

lol GTsport is like the best makeup ever done, but on a cow and i mean literally a freaking cow going moo moo in a field.

Again you fail to make a point (against mine).

Can you actually prove this?

I never talked about updates in general.I was talking about cars/tracks DLC.Do you actually know that these will be free?

I think its pretty clear that almost any point you make is a speculation.

I agree.And there also people that complain because others make complains.

Read my posts.I can also ask you this:what this has to do with OP topic/post?

I saw that and I asked you questions about what your wrote.And many people actually are ready to "give up" because they dont have answers to those.So you can either help them by giving them answers or just acknowledge the fact that from their point of view,they have the right to feel that way -not because of you not having an answer but because of PD lack of information-.

One of my favorite numbers too.

So in your opinion how many months people have to wait until they start judging a game?

I know all that.I just made a point about a (big imo) bug/exploit in GTS.And in fact I asked if its adressed yet or not because I honestly dont know the answer (since I dont use exploits I dont have a way to know if its fixed or not).
this as for point three reaction from you:

I must say you have a point there about whether it'll be free or not, Update pack cars/tracks will be for free, without doubt. (my point)

Do you know that or you are just making another speculation?Is there any official info about it?
(yours)

I must say you have a point there about whether it'll be free or not, Update pack cars/tracks will be for free, without doubt. (mine)

Do you know that or you are just making another speculation?Is there any official info about it?
(yours again)

go figure

as for other points:

1 - i said my opinion
2 - Show me VGT's in other games, and show me one of them which was paid in previous game
4 - you never know, you can have a granted info, yet it might be a speculation
5 - I agree with this aswell
6 - confused about them, a bit
7 - nothing more to say

judging - okay, erase this point, i judge the game aswell, so no point to talk more about (my apologies)

Bugs/exploits - neither I am the one who uses them, what more, who cares about them. I guess (nothing more I can say) it is reported and will be fixed.

lol, What is this?? ...I've won my fair share of races, I haven't poled outside of the top 4 in the past 2 weeks for any race I've qualified. I'm currently at B_A.

...But more to the point what does that have to do with anything? People with no knowledge of tuning, should either learn or play another game. This is 'Gran Turismo' not 'Crusin USA'. Myself and others would like to see the depth in potential of this racing sim actually put into competition. This isn't NASCAR. I should be able to adjust my ride height, gear ratios, lsd, ect. That's what has been at the heart of the series since PS1, testing, tuning, racing, rinsing, repeating. I don't care if some players don't know what their doing, all the more incentive to learn.

Again, go ahead and lock the power, weight and vehicle class for the race. I actually prefer it be that way, because that's the way races at all these tracks are governed. Everything else about your car should be free to tune. This would add so much more depth and competition into sport mode, again, more in tune with real life racing.

If that doesn't sound like fun, you're playing the wrong game.

I'm all for tuning, but I would say leave it to private lobbies. Sport mode is a "jump straight online to race" environment that tuning would disrupt the more level playing field. The more casual racer would become disenchanted and move on IMO.

I know how to tune, and enjoy dialling a car into a track, but I don't think it's place is in sport mode. Maybe the FIA events, but not dailies.

To expect a casual player to learn how to tune is a bit pompus IMO. I enjoy the level playing field. I wouild say if you are after tuning, and a more "real" online racing experience you are playing the wrong game. GT is trying something different.

FYI I thought I wanted a more sim/true to real life racer, but when I played PC and AC I found that there were to many times I wanted to just race, and not have to delv into tyre pressures, track temps and setups etc. This is where GT is filling a hole in the market. Very sim like, but streamlined and more "jump in and play".

That's just my 2 cents. No attacks or right and wrong. Just my opinion on where I think they are heading with GTS.

I'm all for tuning, but I would say leave it to private lobbies. Sport mode is a "jump straight online to race" environment that tuning would disrupt the more level playing field. The more casual racer would become disenchanted and move on IMO.

I know how to tune, and enjoy dialling a car into a track, but I don't think it's place is in sport mode. Maybe the FIA events, but not dailies.

To expect a casual player to learn how to tune is a bit pompus IMO. I enjoy the level playing field. I wouild say if you are after tuning, and a more "real" online racing experience you are playing the wrong game. GT is trying something different.

FYI I thought I wanted a more sim/true to real life racer, but when I played PC and AC I found that there were to many times I wanted to just race, and not have to delv into tyre pressures, track temps and setups etc. This is where GT is filling a hole in the market. Very sim like, but streamlined and more "jump in and play".

That's just my 2 cents. No attacks or right and wrong. Just my opinion on where I think they are heading with GTS.
I agree for the most part. I was originally for no tuning. But I think they should at least allow LSD adjustments. Most of the stock settings are way too high if you have any throttle control at all.

What your list accomplishes is showing how barren and lacking GTsport really is when you have to use presentation and replays to find strengths in a car/racing GAME.

lol GTsport is like the best makeup ever done, but on a cow and i mean literally a freaking cow going moo moo in a field.

you can feel triumphant and all although i don't see why you would do that and what your benefit is, because even if you are right and GT Sport would be a bad game, its not a good thing in the bigger picture of things since FM7 is stagnating and has earned some criticism also. it would actually be better for everyone if racing games on consoles would kick ass so other developers get inspired and fired up to deliver themselves a good game.
but thats just a side note and i'm sure you did not think in this context when you wrote your post.

so i will take your post for what it wants to be and i'll say this: i only highlighted in the list the things that gt sport does in my opinion better than other games. we clearly all agree that physics wise forza and gt are not the pinnacles, so i did not feel the need to adress that as i thought its well known. for me though, the physics are not that bad that they make me to not wanna play the game. they are just some decent simcade console phyiscs and thats it. no drama.

i enjoy the game as an overall package and i guess thats what should be the most important thing when you purchase something.

Last edited:
People with no knowledge of tuning, should either learn or play another game.

The issue isn't really worth a discussion. It's fairly obvious that something about tuning is seriously broken or glitched. If it worked perfectly it would be allowed. It isn't, and glitched tunings have always been a part of the franchise since tuning was allowed. There are just too many variables to thoroughly test and clearly what they've tested so far has been too broken in some way to be usable for competition.

In other words, they released an incomplete game for the full price.
I still think they should have done more in the four years that where given.
GT5 Prologue was released 4 years after GT4, but the upgrade in visual fidelity was night and day. We went from SD (with the option to output in pseudo 1080i) with stoneage PS2 hardware to a modern HD game that still holds up well today.

I just played some Tourist Trophy yesterday, exact same engine as GT4. 480i looks absolutely dreadful. Pseudo 1080i was barely tolerable. That's the gap between GT4 and GT5 Prologue. I don't think the gap was nearly as massive between GT6 and GT Sport, even taking into account the law of diminishing returns, ie have to put in more work and have more processing power for a smaller increase in fidelity.

But Polyphony is no longer the 15 man dev team that started work on GT1 in 1992.

No, they are like a 100 man dev team, but dev teams shrink and grow as needed. I am sure they are no different.

Anyone who codes for a living will tell you that the most dreaded sentence they hear is "I had this great idea last night". Game development is NEVER EVER an A to B process where you start on day 1 with fours years worth of work and trudge forward four year until you are done.

What you get is a development window of X amount of years and you work within that. Tons of work gets scrapped. I remember when the Kinect came out. I was working at Ubisoft and we all got an email that everything had to support Kinect now. Tons of work was redone. Then kinect went belly up, and tons more work got tossed. That's reality.

When the PS2 was ready, we got GT3, then GT4. When the PS3 was ready, we got the prologue we all know and love, then GT5, then GT6. The prologues are (nearly) feature complete versions of the game that are lacking full content. Sport fits the bill exactly. If it walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it's a duck.

Last edited:
you can feel triumphant and all although i don't see why you would do that and what your benefit is, because even if you are right and GT Sport would be a bad game, its not a good thing in the bigger picture of things since FM7 is stagnating and has earned some criticism also. it would actually be better for everyone if racing games on consoles would kick ass so other developers get inspired and fired up to deliver themselves a good game.
but thats just a side note and i'm sure you did not think in this context when you wrote your post.

so i will take your post for what it wants to be and i'll say this: i only highlighted in the list the things that gt sport does in my opinion better than other games. we clearly all agree that physics wise forza and gt are not the pinnacles, so i did not feel the need to adress that as i thought its well known. for me though, the physics are not that bad that they make me to not wanna play the game. they are just some decent simcade console phyiscs and thats it. no drama.

i enjoy the game as an overall package and i guess thats what should be the most important thing when you purchase something.

Isn't it like that already ? Forza7 Pcars2 Horizon are all great games we haven't seen such quality in racing games for some time. Yet they haven't inspired PD and Kaz to create a better GT. Nothing will inspire them.

I enjoyed many mediocre games, but they are still mediocre. I won't pretend otherwise.

I remember back when GT6 launched and the PS4 came shortly there after. All y'alls were like "there's going to be a GT6 ported to PS4".

I said nah, there won't be another GT for a while, probably 3-4 years and likely a fall /Christmas release. Everyone made fun of me, said how stupid it was, said how pointless it was for Sony to do that, etc, etc, etc...

TADAH!!! 2017 fall/pre-Christmas release. I am being optimistic in saying that GT7 will come next Christmas, it will likely come Christmas 2019, but it is coming. I have said it before, and I will say it again, GT is not a profit project for Sony. It's only purpose is to move consoles. It earns Sony money by virtue of the other games/content/peripherals people buy as a result. How many people bought a VR because of GT? Forza is a racing game that is much like GT, but it's business purpose is vastly different. It actually has to make a profit. That's why there are so many iterations.

From a business strategy stand point, Forza and GT are apples and goldfish.

I am happy to have this game to fill the gap until the full release, just like I was happy to have Prologue before GT5.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't the GT6 servers still up? How long were the GT5 servers up after GT6's release? Not that long IIRC. We were told of the shut down pretty soon after the release. IF this is indeed the next GT, then the GT6 servers will be shut down in a few months and everyone will need to migrate over and I will begin to doubt my opinion on this. If, however, the GT6 servers remain up into this time next year, then I hold firm on my prediction.

The only thing that will stop it is a sea change in console sales. If the industry starts seeing consoles drop off completely, then it may change, but there are still too many people that prefer consoles for the casual game. As the OP pointed out, he has a regular job and maybe only a few minutes a day to play a quick game. Consoles still do that job better. at least at the triple A level.

TADAH!!! 2017 fall/pre-Christmas release. I am being optimistic in saying that GT7 will come next Christmas, it will likely come Christmas 2019, but it is coming. I have said it before, and I will say it again, GT is not a profit project for Sony. It's only purpose is to move consoles. It earns Sony money by virtue of the other games/content/peripherals people buy as a result. How many people bought a VR because of GT? Forza is a racing game that is much like GT, but it's business purpose is vastly different. It actually has to make a profit. That's why there are so many iterations.

From a business strategy standpoint, Forza and GT are apples and goldfish.

I don't know how you came up with that but it does not actually make much sense.

For one GT is all about profit for Sony, only 3/4 out of ten Sony games actually are profitable. It takes Uncharted Gran Turismo or TLOU selling ten million to cover all those other games. The health of worldwide studios is very dependant on the big guns selling great.

Nor is Gt about moving consoles, a game that is a driver of console adoption would release in the first year or second at the latest. That's when it truly matters. PS4 already sold 60,000,000 consoles and had it best year, Gran turismo is plain irrelevant to its success.

Forza strategy is mostly tied to giving MS a great game to market each year for the holidays, they can't compete with Sony punch for punch in self made exclusives so they doubled down on Forza given the ease of content sharing between games.

By the way all games are about profit, none go into thinking they are making it at a loss and its ok. Large publishers just have the ability to eat loses better in a grand plan of things.

Last edited:
Take my advice. Race only with GT4 cars. More control, less practice and more competitive.

Even if i had only 30mins then 15 mins for good qualifying which will place you in Top 7 maybe. Should be a good race there.
More control? No way man. Gr3 is so much more responsive.

I don't know how you came up with that but it does not actually make much sense.

For one GT is all about profit for Sony, only 3/4 Sony games actually are profitable. It takes Uncharted Gran Turismo or TLOU selling ten million to cover all those other games. The health of worldwide studios is very dependant on the big guns selling great.

Nor is Gt about moving consoles, a game that is a driver of console adoption would release in the first year or second at the latest. That's when it truly matters. PS4 already sold 60,000,000 consoles and had it best year, Gran turismo is plain irrelevant to its success.

Stupid question but if GT isn't a system seller then why is it always bundled with a Playstation of one kind or another?

Exhibit A
gt3ps2bundle.jpg

Exhibit B
17294_front.jpg

Exhibit C
220bbb00f3b165c77e8b67d18038026e.jpg

Exhibit D
gt6-bundle4_mx.jpg

And last but not least Exhibit E
163250.jpg

Not a system seller you say? :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

I don’t want to bash the game or anything. I can appreciate games for what they are, and what I can get out of them. I think it’s a great game, but I’m actually thinking about stoping and starting PCars 2.
I’m currently DR: A / SR:S, and I’m being matched with Gumball, Z28, Te9.... and those guys that are really fast. I usually Qualify just after them, but I have to force my way into that position. It doesn’t come naturally. That means I will probably make a mistake during the race.
So I feel I’m at that point where, if I really want to have some progress, I’ll have to dedicate more time to this game. I understand we all have lives and all... and I really like been there with those guys, but I don’t think I can handle more training time without either making my wife or my professional life suffer.
It feels like I was dragged into this “MMO” world, and I gotta do “just this last tiny thing” before going to sleep. Then is 3 in the morning, and I gotta wake up in 3 or 4 hours.

I don’t want to bash the game or anything. I can appreciate games for what they are, and what I can get out of them. I think it’s a great game, but I’m actually thinking about stoping and starting PCars 2.
I’m currently DR: A / SR:S, and I’m being matched with Gumball, Z28, Te9.... and those guys that are really fast. I usually Qualify just after them, but I have to force my way into that position. It doesn’t come naturally. That means I will probably make a mistake during the race.
So I feel I’m at that point where, if I really want to have some progress, I’ll have to dedicate more time to this game. I understand we all have lives and all... and I really like been there with those guys, but I don’t think I can handle more training time without either making my wife or my professional life suffer.
It feels like I was dragged into this “MMO” world, and I gotta do “just this last tiny thing” before going to sleep. Then is 3 in the morning, and I gotta wake up in 3 or 4 hours.
grinding that never ends ... I'm lucky to leave World of Warcraft at the end of thee Vanilla days ..that game was so addictive

20 years of making video games :)...that's where I came up with it.

People buy a console because of it's dedicated games (so GT, uncharted, etc). Sony gets paid for every game that sells on their console. Every one, not just their games, but every game. If people are going to play Call of Duty, Sony and MS want them to play it on their console. Not to mention, the annual fee to play online. Madden, FIFA, etc...they all pay Sony when someone buys a PS version of the game.

How many people on this forum alone bought a PS4 in anticipation of a new GT? How many games have those people bought since they've been waiting? The degree of profitability for each of Sony's games need only be toward the positive. They don't need to be block busters. If GT was solely about profits, we'd see a new version annually.

Yup, this one is about the competition for sure.

I mean, didn't anyone find it odd that game that has sold 50mil+ copies over two decades by being the ultimate car game suddenly ditches it's huge catalog of street cars for a handful of race cars and a few tracks?

And the PP system is gone after a decade? Now, if you make a change, you car jumps an entire category? Like, in previous titles, if you bump your horsepower you go from 500pp to 501pp. Now you go from 500 to 600.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not possible Sir. Impossible if you race online.

Every race is different.

I agree with you, but tbh I'm not much of a online racer.... there are a certain games that I only play online (like shooters), but racing games I've never really been fond of online...
maybe I should give this a go. I think I only did 1 online race in GTS

I agree with you, but tbh I'm not much of a online racer.... there are a certain games that I only play online (like shooters), but racing games I've never really been fond of online...
maybe I should give this a go. I think I only did 1 online race in GTS

You should definitely give it a go. It is the heart and soul of this version of GT. If I had any advice, it would be to just ignore both your SR and your DR and drive as safe and as fast as you can. Your DR and SR will go up automatically the more time you invest in Sport mode.

Not giving it up, just playing less. Completely enjoying Assassins Creed Origins atm so all racing games gotta dim it a bit for now. :)

Stupid question but if GT isn't a system seller then why is it always bundled with a Playstation of one kind or another?

Marketing mainly.

If it were strictly a system seller, it wouldn't be getting released 4-5yrs after the system launched (GT5, GT Sport)

I wouldn't call qualifying for an hour and only getting through one race in the next hour, a "jump in and play" format.

This is why this game is going to fail. It doesn't know what it wants to be or who it's audience is anymore. Nothing about GTSport has ever been advertised as 'casual' or 'jump in and play'. I didn't buy this game to have my hands tied behind my back the whole time. I want what I paid for to actually be in the game.

They've already fractured the fan base by completely scraping the original theme of GT, now they're doing it again by the lack of choice and depth in the game. The entire focus of the game is the 'Sport' mode, this what we gave up a proper and full inteneration of GT for? 5 daily races, with little to no freedom of choice in tuning or driver preference. I'd really just like to see this game open up, and actually let us race. Where's the Rally's? or the N600 races????? These races should be available in Sport mode everyday.

Exhibit A
gt3ps2bundle.jpg

Exhibit B
17294_front.jpg

Exhibit C
220bbb00f3b165c77e8b67d18038026e.jpg

Exhibit D
gt6-bundle4_mx.jpg

And last but not least Exhibit E
163250.jpg

Not a system seller you say? :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

I get market realities fly over most heads on here.

Because its a sony IP the same way they bundled the hell out of Uncharted.

System seller is a game that actually increases system sales typically month to month. HAlo5 was a system seller Uncharted 4 was a system seller. GTA is a systems seller for all.

NDp is in, GTsport flopped in US and PS4 saw no uptake in sales from previous month.

lol

Try doubling that and you'll be a lot closer.

Sure. Either way it's irrelevant. All teams ramp up at full production and decrease after release. Even if they do not, game development is always a process of doing work, validating whether it's good enough, and scrapping what does't make the grade.

I get market realities fly over most heads on here.

NDp is in, GTsport flopped in US and PS4 saw no uptake in sales from previous month.

lol

But, as I already stated, the folks that would have bought a PS for "the next" GT already did when they thought GT6 was coming to the system. A full GT7 will be different I recon and will likely launch later in the PS4's life to gain stragglers...like two years from now :D.

Just youtube the Blancpain series and watch the 2017 recap, or any other video. GT Sport may as well be called GT Blanpain.

But, whatevs. I am fine being wrong, if indeed I am. Time will tell :D

Sure. Either way it's irrelevant. All teams ramp up at full production and decrease after release. Even if they do not, game development is always a process of doing work, validating whether it's good enough, and scrapping what does't make the grade.
Doesn't matter if they have 100 or 200? I beg to differ. From all accounts we've read it's always that PD is different, PD is family, they don't contract out etc. The game a team of 100 will put out in 2 years vs. a team of close to 200 should be quite different and expectations will be wildly different.

Doesn't matter if they have 100 or 200? I beg to differ. From all accounts we've read it's always that PD is different, PD is family, they don't contract out etc. The game a team of 100 will put out in 2 years vs. a team of close to 200 should be quite different and expectations will be wildly different.
Kaz and PD are invulnerable, they can take as long as they want and do as they want. Which I would be 100% OK with if they released a complete game, not a Prologue for full triple A price with Kaz BSing that this is the new "beginning" for Gran Turismo. If they needed to take another two years to do it, so long as it was on the PS4, I'd be OK with it.

Just want to let you guys know that I bought PCARS2, and I’m using a CSL Elite (Fanatec), so I had to use an older firmware... but, apart from curbs... ffb is incredible! As my main problem was the obligation to play every day (MMO like), now I can pace myself through the career.

Just want to let you guys know that I bought PCARS2, and I’m using a CSL Elite (Fanatec), so I had to use an older firmware... but, apart from curbs... ffb is incredible! As my main problem was the obligation to play every day (MMO like), now I can pace myself through the career.

Pcars 2 has the best physics and ffb imo (I use a Logitech G27 on PC), even better than Assetto Corsa I think, though some will disagree with that.
What it suffers from is a glitchy damage model and inconsistent AI. Both areas are still better than GT Sport's imo.
Also, a strange issue with PCars 2's graphics when racing in sunny conditions with a fair amount of trackside objects and environments casting shadows, they look quite ugly, the shadows are all aliased and the picture overall looks meh. When the weather is cloudy or rainy/snowy, the graphics look amazing. Dunno what gives. Have everything close to maxed out with 4x MSAA at 1080p.

The thing GT Sport is better at than Project Cars 2, besides graphics, is the pick up and play element with the controller. Project Cars 2 still feels really bad with a controller and I tried all sorts of settings. I don't always have the energy or the time to haul out my wheel and set it up properly, so I don't get to play PCars 2 as much as I'd like. Similar issue with Assetto Corsa.

Isn't it like that already ? Forza7 Pcars2 Horizon are all great games we haven't seen such quality in racing games for some time. Yet they haven't inspired PD and Kaz to create a better GT. Nothing will inspire them.

I enjoyed many mediocre games, but they are still mediocre. I won't pretend otherwise.
Forza 7 and PCars 2 are both nice but without matchmaking or a basic sportsmanship system all the qualty is worthless, except if you are in some racing club or like to play singleplayer only. Just as someone else pointed out, if AC had a matchmaking system it would be the best game on the market. And Pcars 2 physics cant compare to ACs but it's livetrack 2.0 should be in any game of the next generation.
Right now GTS with the matchmaking system is the king of the hill for me. If it doesn't sell so well, so what? Maybe the online races on GTS are better without the casuals, who might divebomb me because of inexperience.
GTS is just out a month and a have already 100 hours in it , if that continues I will surpass my AC playing time in just another 2 months. And AC was my favourite driving game for the last 2 years. I have maybe about 15 hours in GT6 and 10 in Forza 7.

Last edited:

Latest Posts

Back