Who else is giving up on GT Sport?

• Thread starter Will Dias
  • 278 comments
@JulesDennis Well, but lets be honest, you actually dont play racing games nowadays mainly because they have something other racing games dont have, but more because you like the aspects they share with other games more on that particular game than on others.
And beside that, isn't it actually the more adult approach to deny to pick just one game but instead (if you have the means) to enjoy different racing games for different reasons? It is said for example that AC is the better simulator when it comes to just driving alone on a track hunting times. For racing it is said that PCars2 does a very decent job as they also have a pretty ok AI. For car collecting it is said that FM7 is pretty nice and if you dont want to spend relatively much money and dont have a wheel (iracing) but still want to enjoy online racing, then GTS may be for you :)

@JulesDennis Well, but lets be honest, you actually dont play racing games nowadays mainly because they have something other racing games dont have, but more because you like the aspects they share with other games more on that particular game than on others.

The truth is that if you are a more "hardcore" fan of racing and you want a pure sim experience you wont pick the same title with another that is more of a casual gamer,that want a title less "sim" but really good,polished with features that actually dont have anything to do with the actual race.
So the first would pick iRacing or Automobilista (examples) while the second guy would pick GTS or Forza (examples).
Yet not all racing titles have the same "common" things/features done differently.
Examples: AC or GTS does not have dynamic track model like iracing has or dynamic time/weather like Pcars 2 have.
Pcars 2 does not have any kind of livery editor like GTS or iRacing has.
iRacing does not have "scapes" mode like GTS has.
So when "what this title has that others do not" comes,there things you can mention (or there are not).
Then we can debate if those features worth the prize of that game/sim or if those are what me/you/others are want and cannot find in other racing titles.

Last edited:
Depends on how you define adult I suppose. I've always looked at it that every game shares the same similarities at their core (otherwise genres wouldn't exist) but it's the unique or different approaches to that core that make a game standout and be better than the other offerings. I tend to compare them to the other offerings on market currently and compare them also to past experiences and then favour the game or games that do/does the approach the best. Obviously some subjective bias will play pivitol to my choice.

I just don't see, in my subjective bias, what GTS could offer that's better than other racing games, except perhaps the online racing and even then I don't do online racing due to lack of interest and shoddy internet, so it's an aspect of the game which I therefor wouldn't consider with relevance.

'Tis a good talk man. I enjoy discussions about the human mind.

Last edited:
Clearly not, it would appear that you are stalking me around the forum making note of every conversation I have. There is no discussion being had. You are unhappy with the things that I say. However, all you are doing is vocalising your displeasure, you don't even attempt to counter the points that I make. How about you actually read what I say and tell me why I am wrong to hold the opinion that GTS lacks content, has little variety in what you can do when you sit down to race in Sport mode or for a game that is so focused on racing has a relatively ordinary physics/handling model and ffb, which are three examples of what I have said.

Stalking you. That is so funny for you to think you are important enough in any aspect for me to stalk you. To be honest with you I simply have an almost eidetic memory which comes in quite handy in forum debates and your aggressive negativity is an easy target.

I'm not unhappy about the things you don't like about GT Sport. Simply your insolent way of expressing it. Not a problem anymore, complain away. You're literally not worth another second of my time.

If it took PD four years to release 160 cars with about a quarter of them being fantasy models and a lot of others being duplicates in some respect (a road version, a Gr.4 version and a Gr.3 version, even a rally GrB version), I wouldn't hold my breath for them releasing another 340 cars over this game's life cycle, even as paid DLC.

That's a little disingenuous. It took 4 years for them to create a game with state of the art lighting and graphics, develop an online racing structure and penalty system(whether you think it works or not) etc etc, plus 160 cars and the tracks. The teams don't stop working when a game gets close to release they refocus on dlc and enhancements. I have nothing but my instinct to back it up, but I think we will see cars and tracks and other changes soon.

It could be worse, we could be waiting on a patch to fix 150 known bugs 2 months after release date. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Stalking you. That is so funny for you to think you are important enough in any aspect for me to stalk you. To be honest with you I simply have an almost eidetic memory which comes in quite handy in forum debates and your aggressive negativity is an easy target.

I'm not unhappy about the things you don't like about GT Sport. Simply your insolent way of expressing it. Not a problem anymore, complain away. You're literally not worth another second of my time.
Yet again all you can do is pick fault with me rather than the points I make. I'm as important as every other forum user no more, no less. And for someone who states they don't care about what others think you sure as hell do spend a lot of time caring and commenting on what people think.

You really need to spend more time discussing the points people make and leave users posting habits for the moderators to deal with.

i'm not sure if my answer will satisfy you but for me(!) GTS delivers in the following departments better over other racing titles:
- replays
- lighting
- car model movement on track
- ambience sounds
- menus
- presentation (i.e. music, over all mood)
fantasy track driving fun-
- except iracing it delivers a very solid online experience with pretty good racing

i am a sucker for how a game is presented to me and how it feels to be in the game besides the pure driving phyiscs. i know i know, physics are important and all, but to me the overall feeling i get from a game is more important than one particular aspect.
thats why i put also a high emphasis on the things i mentioned above.

I agreed GTS triumph over other titles in the field you mentioned except
- car model movement on track
- ambience sounds
- menus
-fantasy track driving fun

Oh well, patience guys, patience.

There will be more cars
There will be more tracks
It will all be for free as a DLC

Just patience guys.

Its these kind of person who keep giving false hope to public non forumer to keep their hopes high without credible source of their claims. Its all nothing but words till the day these all start rolling in. I wouldn't ask any person to stick around or buy a game hope it will be update or there will be things coming.

That's a little disingenuous. It took 4 years for them to create a game with state of the art lighting and graphics, develop an online racing structure and penalty system(whether you think it works or not) etc etc, plus 160 cars and the tracks. The teams don't stop working when a game gets close to release they refocus on dlc and enhancements. I have nothing but my instinct to back it up, but I think we will see cars and tracks and other changes soon.

It could be worse, we could be waiting on a patch to fix 150 known bugs 2 months after release date. ;)

I don't get how everyone seems to think this is a sequel. As the name states, this GT Sport. It isn't GT7. This has all the earmarks of being a prologue and even if the folks at Sony try to talk it up as the new GT, it isn't.

Where's all the content that they previously stated (or that was uncovered)? Where the Isle of Man? Where's The SEMA cars? No one has to "give up" on Sport. This is built to be balanced competition-centric (as near as they can get). Heck, you don't even have to tune your car, nevermind that it's locked out for the most part.

Nope, I seriously doubt that the GT series is going out with GT6. If they had gone out with GT5, maybe, but 6 was so much a farmed out product. GT Sport is the prologue. I would be shocked to see us go longer than a year without a GT7. The two games could even be companion titles, with the saves working across both games (since the saves are online now).

Nope, I seriously doubt that the GT series is going out with GT6. If they had gone out with GT5, maybe, but 6 was so much a farmed out product. GT Sport is the prologue. I would be shocked to see us go longer than a year without a GT7. The two games could even be companion titles, with the saves working across both games (since the saves are online now).

Anything is possible, but I don't think that is very probable.

I have nothing but my instinct to back it up, but I think we will see cars and tracks and other changes soon.

I agree they'll add car/tracks.
But what cars?What tracks?When?Are those gonna be free or paid DLC?(that is what people are expecting PD to answer).

So you think that there are no (game-breaking or minor) bugs in GTS?Or that all bugs 1 month after release have already been addressed compared to another title?

@Voodoovaj
so you think PD takes four years to develop GT Sport, releases it, and one year later they release a full blown GT7 that they announce maybe only half a year before release? kidding, right? :)
talking about being hopeful or optimistic :D

there's a lot of weird implications about PD on the net. A lot of people don't understand all the back end work that goes into designing a robust platform that can handle future monetizing and content delivery schemes. besides, content creation has always been a huge bottleneck for PD, their meticulous nature guarantees it. (I saw a Forza 7 vs GT Sport model comparison, GT had modeled the nozzle shape on the Ferrari's windshield wiper nozzle)

You've been a member for almost a month now, please don't double post.

Agreed, they've had 4 years and have developed a superb lighting model, graphical genius. Unfortunately that's where it ends in my opinion. The physics remain sub-par feeling like a mildly updated GT6.
If you are going to print "The Real Driving Simulator" on your packaging, then the driving experience must be the baseline of your product.
It is quite a handsome piece of software, that just becomes irrelevant to me because of little things like...
Once the oversteer begins it doesn't end, track surfaces become ice with TC disabled.
Focus on the tire model, stop masking the driving feel with anyone can drive physics and you'll have my attention.

there's a lot of weird implications about PD on the net. A lot of people don't understand all the back end work that goes into designing a robust platform that can handle future monetizing and content delivery schemes.
So the last four years went into preparing GT Sport as a SERVICE to milk as much money from us as they can? (Shudders)

So the last four years went into preparing GT Sport as a SERVICE to milk as much money from us as they can? (Shudders)

Yes. They are a company.

But that being said, as a company you'd want to get all of your infrastructure stuff out of the way so that you can begin to simply issue monetized content after that. I would hope that their time spent was to ensure that a longer lifespan than 4 years and that they'd want to ride out the console life cycle issuing content the whole way.

@Voodoovaj
so you think PD takes four years to develop GT Sport, releases it, and one year later they release a full blown GT7 that they announce maybe only half a year before release? kidding, right? :)
talking about being hopeful or optimistic :D

Well, having made games for two decades before I retired, YES. Polyphony is a notoriously small team and all the guts of the game as well as the most important cars and made in house. Actually, it's not 4 years, it's more than that. GT6 has the bones of the GT Sport renderer (at least, that was what they said at the time) so you could say that it's been in the works since the release of GT5.

Content is the easier part. You can outsource a boatload of game designers and implementers to make tracks, or populate the bare track with banners, etc. Same with the cars. You don't need a top notch modeller to put together a mid-90's Copen that few will ogle over. Once the pipeline is in place, you can outsource talent to produce content.

Sport contains SO MUCH technical gain over 6 that takes a TON of time (Hello VR). On the point of VR, by the way, Sport is very limited. I would expect to see this worked on a little more for GT7.

Here's a secret, this is how Electronic arts makes a lot of their games. A small team works for years and years to get the core of the game right (no public person sees it). Then, when management is happy, they throw a boatload of content developers at it for six months and they crank out the full game. It's a proven process. GT Sport, to me, is in no doubt the first part of the puzzle. All the tech is in place, but the content is lacking.

Where are all the new McLarens? Where are the rest of the Ferraris? Where...? Where...? Where..? Everywhere you look, it's limited. Fire up GT5 Prologue and compare. You will see far more similarity between Prologue and Sport than you will between Gt5/6 and Sport.

Not to mention that all the high res content from the previous games is already done, so why hold it back? The Alfa Romeo Mito for instance is the same one from GT5.

So you think that there are no (game-breaking or minor) bugs in GTS?Or that all bugs 1 month after release have already been addressed compared to another title?

That is not what I said. You are putting words in my mouth. But to answer your question, no I don't think there are 150 bugs of any kind in this game. it is very polished compared to the other title I was referencing which already had a big patch fixing a myriad of bugs.

My point was simply that with all the complaints I think we fail to recognize that GTS is a well polished release with a few minor bugs compared to almost every other release in the gaming industry.

Yes there will be more cars/tracks.The question is when?
In one month?Three months?One year?
And what cars/tracks?
Ferrari 488 GT3 or another Vision?
SPA or another fantasy track?

I actually did ask where was that officially comfirmed (if those are gonna be free or some of them) but I cannot remember getting an answer.Can you point me to where I can find that info?-btw I too believe there is going to be a lot of free DLC-

If PD did better communication and people actually had a "map" about what is going to be added and when,I think most of the people would actually be patience.
Thats the problem.People cannot "wait" because they have nothing officially announced in order to wait for it.
On your first question - "when?" - i must say what i said - be patient.
"In 1 / 3 / 12 months?" - all i asked was to be patient.
"And what Cars/tracks?" - this is probably a point of speculation, mainly, I dont count Vision GT's into the list of DLC/future update pack cars - as those were and are a project to show up Visions of Manufacturers future of the 4-wheel industry (and i personally like this idea). As for this, there was no VGT as a paid DLC, so at least these will be free for sure, and them will be just added value of the main DLC / update pack. I must say you have a point there about whether it'll be free or not, Update pack cars/tracks will be for free, without doubt. As of DLC, i guess those will be mainly newly added things to the series and may/may not be free. Old content (tracks and cars once appearing in series will be free (my speculation)). As for tracks, Because GTS is a FIA sanctioned game, there will be more real life tracks to be included in these packs (i am sure of this), yet there might/will be fantasy tracks also (not a big fan of these either, yet some are great and fun to drive).
I agree with you that there could be better communication from devs, yet i am not sure if people sulking here would change their mind about, if they'd know what and when will come out - they would demand more and something different etc...

https://www.gtplanet.net/kazunori-yamauchi-gt-sport-will-feature-wider-variety-cars-launch/
If it took PD four years to release 160 cars with about a quarter of them being fantasy models and a lot of others being duplicates in some respect (a road version, a Gr.4 version and a Gr.3 version, even a rally GrB version), I wouldn't hold my breath for them releasing another 340 cars over this game's life cycle, even as paid DLC.
Look, This game at least isn't copy/paste thing released every 2-ish years to squeeze more money from gamers. Look at the link i added, there you have Kaz's quote about why they decided to release this type of cars - yes, this is a FIA sanctioned game so there was a reason for this selection to prepare everything towards the main start.

developing game isn't a calculation, where i take time(for instance) which i need to model one car and multiply that by count of cars in the end. As I said, this is not a copy/paste game, so each car needs it's time and touch to model/code/balance/integrate to the game world and this all takes time. We don't want a game where 500 cars look different, but behaves the same.

I'm about to after the 3 races I had in todays daily Nxxx. People drove like mentally disabled. And this is SR B. Smh. You get punted, go off track and get 10s penalty. WTF? Awesome!
Rant over.

XXI
You've been a member for almost a month now, please don't double post.

Agreed, they've had 4 years and have developed a superb lighting model, graphical genius. Unfortunately that's where it ends in my opinion. The physics remain sub-par feeling like a mildly updated GT6.
If you are going to print "The Real Driving Simulator" on your packaging, then the driving experience must be the baseline of your product.
It is quite a handsome piece of software, that just becomes irrelevant to me because of little things like...
Once the oversteer begins it doesn't end, track surfaces become ice with TC disabled.
Focus on the tire model, stop masking the driving feel with anyone can drive physics and you'll have my attention.

Are you a mod? I kept those post separate for a very good reason. One was the last post in an ongoing heated debate between Slim and myself, hte other was completely unrelated and I wanted people to be able to respond without dragging all that mud into the conversation.

That is not what I said. You are putting words in my mouth. But to answer your question, no I don't think there are 150 bugs of any kind in this game. it is very polished compared to the other title I was referencing which already had a big patch fixing a myriad of bugs.

My point was simply that with all the complaints I think we fail to recognize that GTS is a well polished release with a few minor bugs compared to almost every other release in the gaming industry.

You say that GTS is a better title than another (that you dont name) because that (2nd) title has a lot of bugs.I did not put any words in your mouth.I asked a question (read again).
But to the point:
When you say that is very polished (compared to an unnamed title) when there is/was actually one big game-breaking bug that actually affected the core of the e-sports racing then dont you think its a poor argument to prove your point?
(and I am saying is/was because I've havent used that bug ever and I did not read anywhere if its fixed or not so I cannot be sure).

I agree they'll add car/tracks.
But what cars?What tracks?When?Are those gonna be free or paid DLC?(that is what people are expecting PD to answer).

About the bugs - PD at least updates / fixes those known bugs on the go. Not sure about other games though...

Content is the easier part. You can outsource a boatload of game designers and implementers to make tracks, or populate the bare track with banners, etc. Same with the cars. You don't need a top notch modeller to put together a mid-90's Copen that few will ogle over. Once the pipeline is in place, you can outsource talent to produce content.

PD has such a weird fetish issue over doing their modeling in house. It's a huge bottleneck and a source of income loss. If I was Sony I'd be throwing resources at them so they can fast track their content development. PD probably has the best racing net code on any console platform right now and it would be a shame for them to squander it because of the lackluster reviews due to the lack of content.

if they could fast track content development and bring back weekly Seasonal Events they could probably win back their pissed off GT5 crowd.

Well, having made games for two decades before I retired, YES. Polyphony is a notoriously small team and all the guts of the game as well as the most important cars and made in house. Actually, it's not 4 years, it's more than that. GT6 has the bones of the GT Sport renderer (at least, that was what they said at the time) so you could say that it's been in the works since the release of GT5.

Sport contains SO MUCH technical gain over 6 that takes a TON of time (Hello VR). On the point of VR, by the way, Sport is very limited. I would expect to see this worked on a little more for GT7.

Here's a secret, this is how Electronic arts makes a lot of their games. A small team works for years and years to get the core of the game right (no public person sees it). Then, when management is happy, they throw a boatload of content developers at it for six months and they crank out the full game. It's a proven process. GT Sport, to me, is in no doubt the first part of the puzzle. All the tech is in place, but the content is lacking.

Where are all the new McLarens? Where are the rest of the Ferraris? Where...? Where...? Where..? Everywhere you look, it's limited. Fire up GT5 Prologue and compare. You will see far more similarity between Prologue and Sport than you will between Gt5/6 and Sport.

Not to mention that all the high res content from the previous games is already done, so why hold it back? The Alfa Romeo Mito for instance is the same one from GT5.

I agree with a lot of what you have said and I was in IT for 20 years myself. I just feel that those things you mention will be incorporated into GTS, not a new game ie: GT7.

In other words, they released an incomplete game for the full price.
I still think they should have done more in the four years that where given.
GT5 Prologue was released 4 years after GT4, but the upgrade in visual fidelity was night and day. We went from SD (with the option to output in pseudo 1080i) with stoneage PS2 hardware to a modern HD game that still holds up well today.

I just played some Tourist Trophy yesterday, exact same engine as GT4. 480i looks absolutely dreadful. Pseudo 1080i was barely tolerable. That's the gap between GT4 and GT5 Prologue. I don't think the gap was nearly as massive between GT6 and GT Sport, even taking into account the law of diminishing returns, ie have to put in more work and have more processing power for a smaller increase in fidelity.

But Polyphony is no longer the 15 man dev team that started work on GT1 in 1992.

Last edited:
On your first question - "when?" - i must say what i said - be patient.
"In 1 / 3 / 12 months?" - all i asked was to be patient.

That did not adress my point.You -like everybody else- dont know.

"And what Cars/tracks?" - this is probably a point of speculation, mainly, I dont count Vision GT's into the list of DLC/future update pack cars - as those were and are a project to show up Visions of Manufacturers future of the 4-wheel industry (and i personally like this idea). As for this, there was no VGT as a paid DLC, so at least these will be free for sure, and them will be just added value of the main DLC / update pack.

Again you did not add anything in terms of my points.This is just a speculation from your part.

I must say you have a point there about whether it'll be free or not, Update pack cars/tracks will be for free, without doubt.

Do you know that or you are just making another speculation?Is there any official info about it?

As of DLC, i guess those will be mainly newly added things to the series and may/may not be free. Old content (tracks and cars once appearing in series will be free (my speculation)). As for tracks, Because GTS is a FIA sanctioned game, there will be more real life tracks to be included in these packs (i am sure of this), yet there might/will be fantasy tracks also (not a big fan of these either, yet some are great and fun to drive).
I agree with you that there could be better communication from devs, yet i am not sure if people sulking here would change their mind about, if they'd know what and when will come out - they would demand more and something different etc...

Again all you do is pretty much speculate.And this was the core of my point and why people complaing.People dont know anything because PD has not said anything about all these.
What you speculate may be true (or not).Since you cannot back up any of these,why do we have to take your word for them?

About the bugs - PD at least updates / fixes those known bugs on the go. Not sure about other games though...

Like the bug that pretty much allow people to go backwards to the pits and win the race (because that was the one I had in mind.Other minor bugs,I dont even care about).

That did not adress my point.You -like everybody else- dont know.

Again you did not add anything in terms of my points.This is just a speculation from your part.

Do you know that or you are just making another speculation?Is there any official info about it?

Again all you do is pretty much speculate.And this was the core of my point and why people complaing.People dont know anything because PD has not said anything about all these.
What you speculate may be true (or not).Since you cannot back up any of these,why do we have to take your word for them?

Like the bug that pretty much allow people to go backwards to the pits and win the race (because that was the one I had in mind.Other minor bugs,I dont even care about).
We'll see, mr.

1. I know it'll come, enough for me to not rage quit the game.
2. VGT's are GT babies, they won't be paid for.
3. You don't pay for update of the game, do you? Or did you paid in the past for some of the game updates? In other games?
4. :) didn't i said that in my post that i speculate?
5. People complain about everything and everywhere, not matter if they know more or less.
6. What exactly is your point? To the topic, where someone asks if anyone else gives up on this game?
7. This just because 7 might be a lucky number, and i don't have the need to make list till 13. - my personal lucky number... (JK)

To the topic - people, be patient, judging game less than a month from release as there was info about future updates, not a smart move.

well, people will constantly search for glitches, to cheat the system - peoples mentality tbh. No game ever was, is and will be so perfect there won't be the way to cheat...

Edit: edited with bold and itallic

Last edited:
@BarbarianGoth
In other words, they released an incomplete game for the full price.

And they'll add free stuff into it like others do(well others might ask for bills for DLC)

I still think they should have done more in the four years that where given.
GT5 Prologue was released 4 years after GT4, but the upgrade in visual fidelity was night and day. We went from SD (with the option to output in pseudo 1080i) with stoneage PS2 hardware to a modern HD game that still holds up well today.

Comparing GT5P to GTS is like comparing early smatphones to those of today - we were blown away when they came out back in time, and now we look at them like something common. GT5P was a prologue, there was nothing planned to add to that game, it was basically an online experience with how many? 60+ cars to try? GTS is standalone instance which will be updated and will get more content over time.

I just played some Tourist Trophy yesterday, exact same engine as GT4. 480i looks absolutely dreadful. Pseudo 1080i was barely tolerable. That's the gap between GT4 and GT5 Prologue. I don't think the gap was nearly as massive between GT6 and GT Sport, even taking into account the law of diminishing returns, ie have to put in more work and have more processing power for a smaller increase in fidelity.

Again my point to the smartphone comparison...

But Polyphony is no longer the 15 man dev team that started work on GT1 in 1992.

Let's see, what was the poly count in GT1 for each car? Was it 1/20 of those cars from Today? I know we have more powerful hardware to work with, yet still it is silly to compare lowpoly to current models. We no longer live in the past...

We'll see, mr.

1. I know it'll come, enough for me to not rage quit the game.

Again you fail to make a point (against mine).

2. VGT's are GT babies, they won't be paid for.

Can you actually prove this?

3. You don't pay for update of the game, do you? Or did you paid in the past for some of the game updates?

I never talked about updates in general.I was talking about cars/tracks DLC.Do you actually know that these will be free?

4. :) didn't i said that in my post that i speculate?

I think its pretty clear that almost any point you make is a speculation.

5. People complain about everything and everywhere, not matter if they know more or less.

I agree.And there also people that complain because others make complains.

6. What exactly is your point? To the topic, where someone asks if anyone else gives up on this game?

Read my posts.I can also ask you this:what this has to do with OP topic/post?

Oh well, patience guys, patience.

There will be more cars
There will be more tracks
It will all be for free as a DLC

Just patience guys.

I saw that and I asked you questions about what your wrote.And many people actually are ready to "give up" because they dont have answers to those.So you can either help them by giving them answers or just acknowledge the fact that from their point of view,they have the right to feel that way -not because of you not having an answer but because of PD lack of information-.

7. This just because 7 might be a lucky number, and i don't have the need to make list till 13. - my personal lucky number... (JK)

One of my favorite numbers too.

To the topic - people, be patient, judging game less than a month from release as there was info about future updates, not a smart move.

So in your opinion how many months people have to wait until they start judging a game?

well, people will constantly search for glitches, to cheat the system - peoples mentality tbh. No game ever was, is and will be so perfect there won't be the way to cheat...

I know all that.I just made a point about a (big imo) bug/exploit in GTS.And in fact I asked if its adressed yet or not because I honestly dont know the answer (since I dont use exploits I dont have a way to know if its fixed or not).

Latest Posts

Back