Who here drives manual?

SSJ3_Raditz
After breezing through GT4 in automatic transmission, I tried to use manual in GT5. I got used to it and now muscle memory makes me shift even if my car is on automatic.

Any other people here who uses manual?

Honestly, for those who are worried that they will find manual too hard, give it a try, and its easier than you think, especially if your using the DS3.

Honestly, for those who are worried that they will find manual too hard, give it a try, and its easier than you think, especially if your using the DS3.

I think it's harder using the DS3 as oppose to the DFGT. I used auto until I got the DFGT, and now the only car I drive auto is the X2010. I'm too focused on simply keeping the car on the track.

I'm almost always racing manual for cars that don't cycle through gears every second.

Mazda Mazda
After breezing through GT4 in automatic transmission, I tried to use manual in GT5. I got used to it and now muscle memory makes me shift even if my car is on automatic.

Any other people here who uses manual?

The question should be "do people actually use auto?" while some certainly do, the better drivers all use manual. Auto in GT is not actually a an automatic tranny but more of a manual shift assist, therefore considered a Driving Assist/aid.

I recently switched to manual. It's way better than auto. I only use auto for the Spoon S2000 racecar since it stays in the redline.

I recently started my quest to master manual instead of using an auto, and with the ds3 its fairly easy. The one problem I have however, is that when racing online, I sometimes cant hear the car over other peoples car, which means I generally dont know whan to change. Bit annoying, but its all the more rewarding.

Manual in real life and on the game! =)

Much faster on the game and better control than the auto.

I use automatic. But that doesn't mean that I don't use manual. I tried manual just recently; still not much of a difference because I use a DS3. HUD should always be present though because when doing manual with a DS3, it's quite confusing when you start asking yourself "Which gear am I on?"

Absolutely love the control whether it's drifting, racing or dragging with a manual tranny!

Since I play using a wheel, automatic is huge no-no. The game is a lot more fun with a manual.

GT5 was the first time I used manual. I decided to push myself into using it. Got the hang of it, and never went back. Started with the DS3.

I use automatic. But that doesn't mean that I don't use manual. I tried manual just recently; still not much of a difference because I use a DS3. HUD should always be present though because when doing manual with a DS3, it's quite confusing when you start asking yourself "Which gear am I on?"

True, I wish u can customize the hud.

Always manual when I use a wheel (usually paddle shifters, no clutch, though I have now and then over the years used the H-shifter or sequential stick - with or without manual clutch - on my G25 in various sims).

However on the rare occasions where I've played a racing game that hasn't been pure arcade (some of those don't even have actual gear changes anyway) with a gamepad, I've mostly been using automatic - I simply can't get the hang of correctly timing gear changes on the buttons while my other fingers are trying to manage steering, acceleration and braking on the same controller. It just feels terribly awkward - though I could probably learn it with some practice.

I could never dream of using an auto trans. I've had times where the settings have switched to auto before a race on certain cars and I would just saw screw it I'll run it with it. I would usually crash on the first corner. The auto does not down shift quick enough. Engine braking is a LARGE part of your stopping distance (how short it is), thats one of the reasons manual people are faster.

Depends on the car mostly manual but if it's the X2010 the damn car goes sooo fast that I can't focus enough on shifting.

You can actually, (while racing) just pause the game, go to Options (or whatever it's called) and it's there.

No, I'm saying making it able to set it how you want it. Disable speedometer, and just have the gear number on the bottom right corner with your speed number. And have your place and lap number pop up whenever you pass a lap. Make the screen as clear as possible without completely eliminating your vital instruments.

Bonker
Ummm, do people actually use AT? I can't imagine...

Yes, i rather concentrate on driving, then having to shift gears. I only use it for casual drives, and when im using no assists.

Back