Who still plays Need for Speed Carbon?

It's fun but short if you're a legitimate driver :P
Weirdly, I`ve never completed it. I had it for the PS3, and I just never got into it. It never felt fun on the PS3 weirdly, but I love it for the 360? Weird haha, hopefully I should complete it this time. And the main guy in the red coat (forgot his name) looks like Aiden Pierce of Watch_Dogs.
Edit: I also had it on the PS2, and I hardly even started it but I was young and I wasn't really into cars like I am now haha!

I played it before, raged a fair bit upto beating it years ago, in the Viper on PS2. Started playing it on Original Xbox a couple months ago and came to the realization I was/am an idiot. Horrible rubberbanding and handling from go, and after clearing the first area in...three hours including time spent wandering the streets, I couldn't keep playing it.

A shame, really, because the crew aspect could be a great thing if done well. Unfortunately on this last attempt they were all 🤬 idiots without fail.

I've got a question for those of you that have played the game on PS3, Xbox 360 or PC.

When you clear career mode, can you start a new game plus where you keep all your reward card achievements along with everything remaining unlocked in quick race mode, or do you start over completely from scratch?

I have this game for the ps2/ps3 and I love to play it. Apparently I've gotten good enough to beat Darius in kenjis rx7.
I would think so because that last canyon duel is a real doozie at times.

own the PS2 version and I've beaten it five times.

First time I started out with the Muscle Career and just kinda did whatever on car choices.
Second time was a little more organized. I knew from my first playthrough what cars were the best, and this time around I had a uniform color scheme for all of my cars.

The next three times I actually did (somewhat) simultaneously. I decided that I would try the career on the different classes, and my car choices were to stick with the class that I started with. (This extended into crew members, so Muscle Career I had Neville, Samson, and Sal) I got the pink slip to all three boss cars, and just sold the other two that didn't fit into the class I picked. My progression was as follows:

Muscle Career:
Camaro > Angie's Charger (best Tier 2 vehicle I think) > Chevrolet Corvette (though Viper would have been second choice)

Tuner Career:
RX-8 > Kenji's RX-7 > Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX

Exotic Career:
Brera > Wolf's DB9 > Lamborghini Murcielago
I started out with the Alfa Romero Briera and then chose muscle. I eventually got tuner at some point later on, but I have beaten the career so many times I don't remember anything past that.

Every career had a "theme" to it too. My muscle career cars were stylized like Hammerhead from Twisted Metal 2: Black with flames and skulls.
Oh yes, another game! :)👍

I never really customized my cars career most of the time because I wanted to get that million dollars for the Chevelle. I did all my customizing in "My Cars" on the main menu.

With that being said, Cross you are a 🤬 for totalling my reclaimed car from Razor.
Yea I remember Cross, he was something back in the days, but that only made it more rewarding when you could finally wreck him in a pursuit at x5 heat level. :sly:

It's fun but short if you're a legitimate driver :P
The career is somewhat short, but the game itself including the challenge series and reward cards all together certainly isn't. They added the reward card system to keep you playing Carbon for a long time and I imagine it was to make up for the somewhat short career as well.

Undercover's career is even shorter than Carbon's believe it or not.

I've got a question for those of you that have played the game on PS3, Xbox 360 or PC.

When you clear career mode, can you start a new game plus where you keep all your reward card achievements along with everything remaining unlocked in quick race mode, or do you start over completely from scratch?
If you get all your cars impounded by getting 3 (or sometimes 5) impound strikes and you don't have enough to pay for it, you get to start the whole career over with everything you have unlocked. (Except the territories if I remember correctly)

If you get all your cars impounded by getting 3 (or sometimes 5) impound strikes and you don't have enough to pay for it, you get to start the whole career over with everything you have unlocked. (Except the territories if I remember correctly)

So, you can keep everything you've unlocked if you get a game over, but not if you want to start a new career after you beat the game? I recall on the PS2 version, if you wanted to get all of the unlocks from the reward cards, it had to be on the same career profile, which would've been fine, except three of the requirements involved you filling your garage entirely with one class of car, for all three classes. You couldn't really just grind money until you got them all because redoing a race you already beat gave you a measly 500 credits. This would've made grinding for money much more tedious. What I think would have been good to do is enable a New Game + option. You start career mode from scratch, but everything you unlocked would remain unlocked.

So, you can keep everything you've unlocked if you get a game over, but not if you want to start a new career after you beat the game?
If you get all your cars impounded and can't pay for them, you start the career over with what you have unlocked.

If you however select new career after beating it, you're basically starting a whole new save from scratch with nothing unlocked.

My point is, if you want to start over without losing what you unlocked, just get busted and have all of your cars in career impounded and you're good to go. 👍

I recall on the PS2 version, if you wanted to get all of the unlocks from the reward cards, it had to be on the same career profile, which would've been fine,
It has to be on the same save game pretty much.

except three of the requirements involved you filling your garage entirely with one class of car, for all three classes. You couldn't really just grind money until you got them all because redoing a race you already beat gave you a measly 500 credits. This would've made grinding for money much more tedious.
I hated that reward card. What I did was went to career free roam, waited and then a car will come by after about 2 minutes and then you could engage in a "rival crew challenge" which lets you pick where the finish line is and then you can win more cash in less than a minute by winning. Once you have enough, just buy the cheapest car from whatever tier you need and keep doing them races until you have them all. :)

(You don't have to choose a different car class at the beginning of the career to fill your garage with a certain tier.)

Just struck me as tedious is all. Leaves me to wonder how many people got all of those through legitimate means.

I'd probably go through three different careers dedicated solely to each class of car like I did on the PS2 version. It's more fun when you try out different ways to beat the game.

Just struck me as tedious is all. Leaves me to wonder how many people got all of those through legitimate means.
Some reward cards are more difficult than others, but you eventually figure out how to get them. ;)

I'd probably go through three different careers dedicated solely to each class of car like I did on the PS2 version. It's more fun when you try out different ways to beat the game.
I used to do that too, now I just do the method of losing all my cars and starting over. 👍

One thing I like about this game along with Most Wanted was that body kits and visual customizations weren't required to move through the game. If you wanted to add bodykits/wings/roof scoops etc, then you could. But if you didn't want to, you didn't have to.
Yes I totally agree with this! 👍 I have heard people say before about how NFS was never about customization and such. If if it is like Underground 2 and you have to get your visual rating up to continue, I can understand why they wouldn't like it, but if it is like it is in Carbon, besides development times, I see no reason to complain about it.

That autosculpt feature was amazing in Carbon, I hope they bring it back.

I would like to get carbon back. I had it on the ps2 but the one of the police car's didn't unlock after doing the challenge or something and that was when I quit.

I would like to get carbon back. I had it on the ps2 but the one of the police car's didn't unlock after doing the challenge or something and that was when I quit.
The Police Interceptor (Corvette) I assume, I had that problem with it too. I had to use Action Replay Max to get it. I think certain copies did that while others worked as they should.

I recently acquired NFS Carbon on my PS3 just for the sake of childhood nostalgia. And I have to say, this has got to be one of the last best NFS games.

I started out with the RX-8, and somehow i managed to beat Kenji just with a Nitrous upgrade :lol:
Acquired Kenji's FD, refurbished it to look like Keisuke Takahashi's FD3S from Initial D, and managed to beat the other two bosses with it. (and acquired both cars)

Until i finally had to buy a Skyline GT-R to beat Darius.

This game is basically NFS Underground with Touge races, Crews, and no forced rice! :bowdown:

Also, my favorite songs:

Another thing that bugs me is the fact that this game had better sounds than GT... :rolleyes:

I recently acquired NFS Carbon on my PS3 just for the sake of childhood nostalgia. And I have to say, this has got to be one of the last best NFS games.

I started out with the RX-8, and somehow i managed to beat Kenji just with a Nitrous upgrade :lol:
Acquired Kenji's FD, refurbished it to look like Keisuke Takahashi's FD3S from Initial D, and managed to beat the other two bosses with it. (and acquired both cars)

Until i finally had to buy a Skyline GT-R to beat Darius.

This game is basically NFS Underground with Touge races, Crews, and no forced rice! :bowdown:

Also, my favorite songs:

Another thing that bugs me is the fact that this game had better sounds than GT... :rolleyes:

Carbon had one of the best soundtracks of the entire franchise. And the engine sounds!

Yes, I used to love the engine sounds they had in the 2nd gen NFS games and how they were carried from Underground 2 to Undercover. Strange but true, the sounds they used in these titles is one of the things I miss the most. If they brought them back, I may actually play the series again.

Last edited:
There's sort of a running gag whenever I race on the canyon against Angie:

I always say "There won't be a second run!" Initial D style and actually overtook her. This happened both on the boss race AND the second race (where the rest of the bosses join Stacked Deck) :lol:

Mods. Not hidden options
I know, but it is still awesome! (Some of those tracks are hidden though.)
Carbon had one of the best soundtracks of the entire franchise.
Funny, I ripped the music from it recently and I have been listening to them a lot lately. I almost want to play it again. :D
NFS has always had awesome engines. Just listen to this Gallardo.
Yes I can never forget the Gallardo! I can still remember the first time I heard it. :) It sounded so good back then.

One thing I find strange about that car is that in NFSMW, you upgrade it all the way you get that sound you here in the video. Carbon and Undercover however is different, you have that sound to start with and you get the stock sound from NFSMW by upgrading. :odd: (I never have liked that)

I know, but it is still awesome! (Some of those tracks are hidden though.)
Funny, I ripped the music from it recently and I have been listening to them a lot lately. I almost want to play it again. :D
Yes I can never forget the Gallardo! I can still remember the first time I heard it. :) It sounded so good back then.

One thing I find strange about that car is that in NFSMW, you upgrade it all the way you get that sound you here in the video. Carbon and Undercover however is different, you have that sound to start with and you get the stock sound from NFSMW by upgrading. :odd: (I never have liked that)
I haven't played Carbon in ages but I used the Gallardo. I don't like the Gallardo on MW because there are no wings that suit it on MW. autosculpt fixed that for Carbon.

I haven't played Carbon in ages but I used the Gallardo. I don't like the Gallardo on MW because there are no wings that suit it on MW. autosculpt fixed that for Carbon.
I never did think the customizations in MW was all that great. The autosculpt feature in Carbon was really awesome and took it to the next level.
Truck chasing a pack of ricers :lol:
"Sheriff, I need a new pursuit vehicle."
"Here you go!"
"This isn't what I had in mind. :indiff:"

:lol:

That reminds me so much of the scramble from 2Fast 2Furious and it's like the truck is trying to chase them all down! :lol:

I haven't played that it ages, I do remember depending on the ss camaro (I kept that thing stock lol) and then depending on a SLR McLaren (fully upgraded at the stacked deck part of the game)

Just got this on PC. Will be posting videos I make of it here
NFSC 2015-07-31 13-37-25-962.jpg

First Carbon video! Kenji's RX-7 V PPD. Note: Controls were really awkward with a DS4 (until I fixed them).

First Carbon video! Kenji's RX-7 V PPD. Note: Controls were really awkward with a DS4 (until I fixed them).

looks good :) I think I want to pick up carbon for PS3 and if it means anything I still have my collectors edition of nfs carbon that comes with the awesome Koenigsegg CCX

Well, hey! There's a thread on this! I still have the game (PS2), but I don't play it much anymore. I don't remember if I still have my old save, but this thread is making me want to play it again right now. I might just do that, actually...

EDIT: I just beat Kenji with an entirely stock RX-8, didn't spend a penny. Got his ride too.

EDIT:
The online for Carbon might have been turned off. I know they axed ProStreet's online service & since Carbon was before Prostreet it might of got axed as well.
I don't think so, i was able to download a ghost (which is part of the online exclusive reward card) and it worked just fine. I didn't get any errors on connecting to EA Nation ether.
http://www.ea.com/1/service-updates

If you ever wonder which EA games are getting online axed that's the page to go to.

& no I don't have Carbon for the PS3 just the PS2.
Looking at the webpage, I read that EA shuts down services that have significantly little use. Are that many people still playing this game online? At this rate I can sit relaxed while I wait for the chance to acquire a PS3 and a copy of NFS Carbon for it, since I'm still sat here with a PS2.

EDIT: After a bit of resetting, I beat Angie with Kenji's RX-7 completely unmodified and got the pink slip (<- cause of resets).

Last edited:
The main thing I don't like about Carbon is that it's hard to earn cash after completing the game. I remember having jut enough for a Skyline & Supra at the end of the game but only having enough to performance tune one of them

Back