Who still plays Need for Speed Carbon?

Cool! Man, I don't remember a lot about the game, it has been way too long since I played it to remember much. But it was a fun one for sure. I wish they could recapture the NFS magic basically from NFSU2, MW, Carbon, and Prostreet. If they could somehow wrap all of those games together, taking the best from each, that would really be something.

What would you guys want from each of those games and why?
Just like what Marcus Nilsson said in the E3 presentation of NFS2015.

UG2- Customization (bodywork plus rims)
Most Wanted- Pursuits and Heat level system
Carbon- Nighttime, Autosculpt, Crews, and Canyon events.
Prostreet- Wrap Editor, race events such as Speed Challenge, 1/4 and 1/2 mile drag races, etc, and bosses from different style of event.

I think this is what Ghost needs to do on the next installment. Nilsson needs to rephrase on what he said. He was right on combining those 4 but it wasn't executed right.

For bosses, I'm thinking of this:

Drag- Angie
Drift- Kenji
Circuit- Eddie
Speed- Razor
Overall- Ryan Cooper

Last edited:
Hard to believe Carbon will 10 years old this year! I can still remember playing it for the first time, it's been awesome ever since. Lately I have been thinking about playing Carbon again since I haven't in a while. I figured maybe I could go through and max out both of my NFS MW 2005 profiles, then start another. Once that's done, I will do the same for Carbon on the PS2, but with the collectors edition. When the 10th anniversary comes around, I will play the PS3 version finally and that should bring new life to the game for me. (Not that it doesn't have any already, it will just make it better)

Just like what Marcus Nilsson said in the E3 presentation of NFS2015.

UG2- Customization (bodywork plus rims)
Most Wanted- Pursuits and Heat level system
Carbon- Nighttime, Autosculpt, and Canyon events.
Prostreet- Wrap Editor, race events such as Speed Challenge, 1/4 and 1/2 mile drag races, etc, and bosses from different style of event.

I think this is what Ghost needs to do on the next installment. Nilsson needs to rephrase on what he said. He was right on combining those 4 but it wasn't executed right.

For bosses, I'm thinking of this:

Drag- Angie
Drift- Kenji
Circuit- Eddie
Speed- Razor
Overall- Ryan Cooper
Pretty much all this and for me:

The engine sounds from the 2nd gen titles like Carbon.
Sounds strange to some, but it's a huge plus for me.
Quick Race and the ability to customize cars for them. Seriously, why can't we have this again? :irked:
Challenge Series. Why should the career be the only thing to do? This gives you more reasons to play the game than just that.
Simpler physics. By that I mean something like what Carbon had. I don't care how "unrealistic" Carbon's physics may seem to some, I just want something tolerable and fun again. I miss the days when hitting a traffic car only slowed you down instead. Those that want realistic physics can just play another game.
The ability to start the career over with everything already unlocked. Unknown to some, but in Carbon and I think MW 2005, if you lose all your cars, you have to start the career over again, but everything you already unlocked will still be unlocked. Kind of unorthodox I guess, but it gives you another reason to play the game again.

Like I said earlier, I liked NFS 2015, but I never did agree with the physics or collision detection in the game and I feel like it lacks replay value. I mean the game has replay value, but just not much of it. Once I finish it, their just isn't much to do after that, not like Carbon or any of the 2nd gen titles. That's about all I am going to say about this, don't want to go too far off topic.

Last edited:
The ability to start the career over with everything already unlocked. Unknown to some, but in Carbon and I think MW 2005, if you lose all your cars, you have to start the career over again, but everything you already unlocked will still be unlocked. Kind of unorthodox I guess, but it gives you another reason to play the game again.
I had no idea that was how it worked. I just presumed if you failed everything would be locked again.

I had no idea that was how it worked. I just presumed if you failed everything would be locked again.
Nope. Once you start over in Carbon, everything you already unlocked will be there. I have been told you can start over in MW 2005, but I am not certain about the things being unlocked or not. I'll give it a try when I play the game again.

When I couldn't get the 20 defensive races reward card for Cross's Corvette, I did this and it worked! :D

This was trickier than you might think it would be... (2 laps of that one really long drift track)

nfscarbon016.jpg

Speaking of restarts, I'm gonna do some "piss off the cops" reward cards, and then do the restart. I managed to get the one for getting $1 million, and I used that to do the "fill your garage with muscle, tuner, and exotic cars". I've gotten a lot of stuff done in this one playthrough.

Right now, I've got a fully modded Challenger and 'Cuda, ready to do some free-roam challenges, and do the pursuit cards that I managed to steer clear of in my playthrough.

This was trickier than you might think it would be... (2 laps of that one really long drift track)

View attachment 548284

I don't have the Dump truck, but I do have the fire truck unlocked. Maybe I'll give that a shot. I can't really post proof though.

In a dump truck? :P

Yep.

It's actually waaaay more fun trying to drift in a dump truck than it is trying to drift in any other car; there's actual challenge involved when the ridiculous drift physics, presumably designed for the light, powerful cars that you're normally supposed to drive, are applied to something as slow and ungainly as the dump truck. You really have to keep your angle under control because if you oversteer too much it's incredibly easy to reach >90 degrees and lose all your speed, which is incredibly important because the dump truck absolutely needs to keep up as much speed as it can get if it's going to rack up any relevant points.

I don't have the Dump truck, but I do have the fire truck unlocked. Maybe I'll give that a shot. I can't really post proof though.

I've tried the fire truck before - it's similar to the dump truck, but I really couldn't handle crashing so often just because I couldn't even see the back of the fire truck when it collided with a wall. Then again, my first outing with the dump truck wasn't so great either - it definitely took a couple of runs to figure out how to handle it, because you definitely can't drift it the same way you'd drift a Viper.

Just tried it, it's really weird. You're expecting the steering to be sluggish, and then all of a sudden it jinks itself sideways. It's really hard to get that thing drifting properly.

I would if I still had it. But I got rid of it as well as my old Xbox so I could get a 360. I kinda feel bad for doing so.

Yep.

It's actually waaaay more fun trying to drift in a dump truck than it is trying to drift in any other car; there's actual challenge involved when the ridiculous drift physics, presumably designed for the light, powerful cars that you're normally supposed to drive, are applied to something as slow and ungainly as the dump truck. You really have to keep your angle under control because if you oversteer too much it's incredibly easy to reach >90 degrees and lose all your speed, which is incredibly important because the dump truck absolutely needs to keep up as much speed as it can get if it's going to rack up any relevant points.
Now this is truly impressive! :bowdown:

Just tried it, it's really weird. You're expecting the steering to be sluggish, and then all of a sudden it jinks itself sideways. It's really hard to get that thing drifting properly.
Yea it will do that, the fire truck is very similar as well, but with obvious differences.

Getting the reward card for 1,000,000 drift points may sound challenging, but it really isn't that hard. Just pick a circuit drift track and then set it to 8 laps. :P

I highly recommend this car for drift races as well:
nfs-showroom-1170352258.jpg

Not going to lie, that is the best drift car in the game surprisingly. I have yet to find a better one.

I'm fairly proficient at the drift events in this game with normal cars. I may not be world record material, but I always finish several hundred thousand points ahead of the computer players.

For the PS2 owners of the game, if you have a cheat device, I recommend you check these cheats out:

http://gamehacking.org/game/104456

Cars like the Audi Le Mans Quattro and pretty much any of the cars from the reward cards can be used in career and even customized slightly! (Hear that Dan?) You can also have invincible tires and never get busted.

Here is the really interesting one, swapping the normal physics with drift physics. In other words, you would be using the physics from drifting events in free roam and such. Too bad it can't be done on the PS3 version.

More reasons to play Carbon in 2016! :dopey:

Here is the really interesting one, swapping the normal physics with drift physics. In other words, you would be using the physics from drifting events in free roam and such. Too bad it can't be done on the PS3 version.
Do you know if this is possible on the PC version? Would be interested in trying that out but only have it on PC

For the PS2 owners of the game, if you have a cheat device, I recommend you check these cheats out:

http://gamehacking.org/game/104456

Cars like the Audi Le Mans Quattro and pretty much any of the cars from the reward cards can be used in career and even customized slightly! (Hear that Dan?) You can also have invincible tires and never get busted.

More reasons to play Carbon in 2016! :dopey:

:grumpy:

So you find out really odd things when you're not playing the game as you usually would.

Obviously, when you're out on free roam and chased by the cops, you are completely subject to the consequences of the pursuit if you're caught. You have a fine to pay, an impound strike gets put on your car, the whole nine yards. However, if you get busted during a race, literally all that happens is you lose the race. No fine to pay, no impound strike. I had finished all but one reward card through this entire playthrough, and I was wanting the last impound strike on my blue and orange Cuda to be during a race, but it was literally a slap on the wrist.

Then, I got into a regular pursuit, hit select to reset my car (that instantly busts you), and that was the end of my fabulous 'Cuda. I had caused a lot of a headache to the Federal Police Interceptors, wrecking hundreds of them, but it came to a close, hauled off to the junkyard, and ending my career.

Started a new career, got some new territory, ran a defensive race, (literally the very first one of that playthrough) and then boom, got the last reward card. I have them all now. Just have to 100% career mode again, and I'll say I've officially 100% Carbon.

So you find out really odd things when you're not playing the game as you usually would.

Obviously, when you're out on free roam and chased by the cops, you are completely subject to the consequences of the pursuit if you're caught. You have a fine to pay, an impound strike gets put on your car, the whole nine yards. However, if you get busted during a race, literally all that happens is you lose the race. No fine to pay, no impound strike. I had finished all but one reward card through this entire playthrough, and I was wanting the last impound strike on my blue and orange Cuda to be during a race, but it was literally a slap on the wrist.

Then, I got into a regular pursuit, hit select to reset my car (that instantly busts you), and that was the end of my fabulous 'Cuda. I had caused a lot of a headache to the Federal Police Interceptors, wrecking hundreds of them, but it came to a close, hauled off to the junkyard, and ending my career.

Started a new career, got some new territory, ran a defensive race, (literally the very first one of that playthrough) and then boom, got the last reward card. I have them all now. Just have to 100% career mode again, and I'll say I've officially 100% Carbon.
Most Wanted '05 also had that. When you get busted during a race then you lose but no fines and impound strike.

I actually wonder if you can get your car back by paying it. The one thing I was scared the most is losing my M3 GTR in Most Wanted. The reason why I kept going back to Most Wanted is because of the M3. Man that car is good for pursuits. Not to mention it feels like you can relax when getting chased.

Also another weird part about Carbon is that they just recycled RPD and turned into Palmont City Police. Not to mention Cross driving his RPD Corvette and not his new one.

Nope. Every time you get caught, an impound strike gets put on your car if you don't have a "Get Out Of Jail Free" card. You lose the car after you get caught four times. (Or more, depending on how many more impound strikes you win from bosses)

You lose the car after you get caught four times.
Can you not pay to get it back after doing a number of races (provided you own a second car)? Haven't had a car impounded on Carbon but I'm pretty sure that's how it works on MW

Well I am glad it worked for you! :) I am not sure if I ever got the 20 defense races the first time around or not.

Even though some don't even know about it (Which is understandable), being able to start the whole career over again with everything unlocked was a really nice touch in the game. It really expands the replay value and that's something I wish more games would do these days.

You lose the car after you get caught four times.
Could have sworn it was 3 times in Carbon. Of course, like in MW 2005, you can up the limit to five. However, MW 2005 had a wealth of bosses in the game to get markers from. Carbon? Not so much. If you ever get one of them in Carbon, consider yourself lucky since their aren't many bosses in comparison.

Can you not pay to get it back after doing a number of races (provided you own a second car)?
Nope. Once it's gone, it's gone. The only way to pull it from the impound is if you have the marker that does just that. As I said above, consider yourself lucky if you get it.

I tried out some of the codes I posted above and I can say about it. Will post about it later.

I'm really glad that there was a new game plus feature, but the way you do it, it's a bit like a "hidden" feature to me. The only reason I knew about it was because of this thread.

As for the impound strikes, I thought it was just three as well, but as it turns out, that just outlines how many extra chances you have. I got arrested three times, thinking that was going to be it, but it kicks me back to the car selection screen, and I'm still able to pick the car and drive. I got arrested again, then it told me that the car was off to the crusher.

I wasn't even aware you could get your car back after getting it impounded in Most Wanted. Granted, I don't play that nearly as much as Carbon, and I haven't even beaten Most Wanted. When I normally play, I do everything in my power not to get busted, even if it's through save-scumming. When I started intentionally pissing off the cops, there's only two occasions where they managed to box me in and make it so that I couldn't move.

Edit:

Just beat Angie again. Not liking that it skipped to reward card claiming sequence. I usually rely on getting her Charger to take through the middle of the game.

*sigh* Now I need to buy my own.

Last edited:
I'm really glad that there was a new game plus feature, but the way you do it, it's a bit like a "hidden" feature to me. The only reason I knew about it was because of this thread.

As for the impound strikes, I thought it was just three as well, but as it turns out, that just outlines how many extra chances you have. I got arrested three times, thinking that was going to be it, but it kicks me back to the car selection screen, and I'm still able to pick the car and drive. I got arrested again, then it told me that the car was off to the crusher.

I wasn't even aware you could get your car back after getting it impounded in Most Wanted. Granted, I don't play that nearly as much as Carbon, and I haven't even beaten Most Wanted. When I normally play, I do everything in my power not to get busted, even if it's through save-scumming. When I started intentionally pissing off the cops, there's only two occasions where they managed to box me in and make it so that I couldn't move.
Do you happen to have a screeenshot of the game saying that your car was off to the crusher plus the game over screen?

I don't have a screenshot. I play the PS3 version and I don't have any recording software. I guess what you could do is start a throwaway profile, get a car, and then immediately get in trouble with the cops four times, (or spend all your money so you don't have enough to pay your fines).

I don't have a screenshot. I play the PS3 version and I don't have any recording software. I guess what you could do is start a throwaway profile, get a car, and then immediately get in trouble with the cops four times, (or spend all your money so you don't have enough to pay your fines).
It's been years but back in the day 2006 I had that happen loose my car and loose my money and game over. Short memory but I think I done it on purpose to see if you would really loose your car and have to restart the game.

It's bluntly mentioned in the game on a loading screen, but it doesn't go into much detail about it. It took me years to realize you could start the career over again like this. I found out by googling a few years back. I like doing this better than creating a new save since I can start over with what I have unlocked and not have to create another save that takes up my memory card space.

Ah yes, that does make sense. MW 2005 was different.

I wasn't even aware you could get your car back after getting it impounded in Most Wanted. Granted, I don't play that nearly as much as Carbon, and I haven't even beaten Most Wanted.
I have always preferred Carbon over Most Wanted. I have beaten Most Wanted twice and I don't even know how many for Carbon. Probably a dozen times or more.

It's been at least 5 1/2 years since I have played through Carbon again though. I have been into the game to do a few things over the years, but nothing as extensive as playing the whole career over again. That's going to change soon though.
When I normally play, I do everything in my power not to get busted, even if it's through save-scumming. When I started intentionally pissing off the cops, there's only two occasions where they managed to box me in and make it so that I couldn't move.
Same. Ever since I got MW 2005 nearly 10 years ago, I have always tried my best to never get busted in any game. I don't really like getting busted in Carbon just to start over, but knowing what I get to do afterwards makes it all worth it.

Just beat Angie again. Not liking that it skipped to reward card claiming sequence. I usually rely on getting her Charger to take through the middle of the game.
I always get their cars to sell for money. It helps with getting the million dollars for the Chevelle SS.

If I'm doing a one-type career run, I usually sell two of the bosses's cars for extra money as well. What I didn't realize, is that you can't get the reward cards for beating the bosses again on the second run, so I can't get Angie's Charger, Wolf's DB9, or Kenji's RX-7 on the second playthrough.

For the second playthrough, since I've already completed career mode six times through legitimate means (five on the PS2 and once on the PS3) I decided to do the infinite nitrous/speedbreaker/crew charge cheats for this last run. Makes the Camaro loads easier to keep up with Tier 2 cars. And, as an added bonus, instead of buying a Tier 2 vehicle, since I already had the Tier 3 cars unlocked, I managed to get enough to buy a Shelby GT500. Beat Downtown and Fortuna without much difficulty, and next time I pick it up, I'll finish up Silverton, and I will have beaten Carbon for the seventh time.

Funny enough, I found my PC Collector's Edition disc, still in relatively good condition. Since I'm busy with exams now, I can't really devote any meaningful playing time to any game, but I loaded it up when I got home from campus and dabbled in the Challenge series. I'm currently busy with the Silver Canyon Duel Challenge, having completed all the Bronze Challenges.

Need for Speed Carbon's a good game. I rarely touch my PS2 nowadays but I might get back to it someday. Created a Supra which has a "dualistic" vinyl job on it. Essentially, the car has a vinyl dividing it into half white and half black, with the black part having a chrome look to it and the white part a matte look to it (that happens when you put vinyls in chrome painted cars), then there's white vinyls on the black part and black vinyls on the white part, mirrored on the other side manually. It looks really cool. The first time I had done this my game crashed just as I had finished after several hours, so I had to redo the whole thing.

How far have you guys gotten in minimalist runs? I managed to conquer the first three districts with nothing but a stock RX8 (it's not that hard, but winning the Beachfront race requires luck). However in the final district I couldn't find a way to beat races, just too fast at that point. Had to use a stock RX7.

What I didn't realize, is that you can't get the reward cards for beating the bosses again on the second run
Oh, I forgot about this, as I said earlier it's been a while since I have played through the whole career again. Thanks for pointing that out. 👍 I usually save before doing a boss race. If I don't get the bosses ride, I reset the game and do it again until I do. Been doing this since Most Wanted.

I decided to do the infinite nitrous/speedbreaker/crew charge cheats for this last run.
That's actually how I have always played it. :lol: I have thought about playing the game the way I "normally" do first just to get the feel I always had for it. Then start the career over again using a cheat device since their is so much unexplored fun I have to look forward to.

The thoughts of taking the fire truck in career free roam and smashing cops with it just fills me with excitement. :D

Back