Who's Still Playing?

Since I just got the game two days ago, of course I'm still playing! I haven't been in a rush either, and have done some cruising, some racing, and tried out about all of the game modes for a few minutes each. After about 5 hours of play time i'm at 8% complete with the blue wristband, and at my going rate of about 4 hrs of xBox time per week, it'll be about 15 weeks before I even get close to finishing the game. I plan on enjoying it for a long time, and getting my $60 worth a couple of times over.

The first thing I did? Turned off the suggested line, turned off all the assists and turned the AI difficulty down to "Medium"... I'm not the best driver, but my goal with this game was to stop relying on the suggested line. So far so good!

I just finished my "Discovery" stats page with the 100th discount sign. I'm at 51.4% on the Orange wristband, with 2692 miles over 36 hours. I haven't even collected all of the cars I want yet, much less driven all of the ones I own. :)

Only managed about 45-minutes play today, just in my Martini RUF, but even that was a joy. This game really doesn't require you to work at it to enjoy yourself. I'm in no hurry to do races, although finding the last two discount signs is proving to be an ongoing obsession!

Perhaps it's the game's more casual nature - meaning a lot of the crazy-fast guys from FM4 have stayed there - but I ended up 5th globally in one of the Rivals events last night. One of the festival point-to-point races, the third-last wristband (purple?). Whoa :D

Managed to go through it patiently for about 20 hours, and now I'm out of it.

Sheer disappointment in a lot of aspects. I won't elaborate in detail, but mainly the physics, sounds, 30 fps, off roading, the way the game's structured... looks shiny and inviting on the outside, but very pale and stale on the inside. No depth, or replay value. Cars don't do much justice to their real life counterparts in terms of performance and handling. Lack of tuning.. list goes on.

Back to FM4 then.

I'm not sure of your first sentence. Are you saying you beat the game in 20 hours?

I defentiely disagree that there's no depth or replay value. If you're only concentrating on getting to the end of the game, it's going to be a shallow exprience. And trust me, the career mode is one of my most important priorities I look for in a racing game. But there's a reason why I'm still on my pink wristband. I only do one festival race per session, and I don't even do that all the time. I'm just too busy having fun with other things to worry so much about beating the game.

Its definitely tons of fun, especially since I was never able to get into FM4 or 3's singleplayer career... Its definitely disappointing being a drifter that there is no advanced tuning and I feel like a monkey can drift in Horizon...

That being said, it truly is an amazing game. Beautiful graphics and great for photos.

It really depends on how you approach it... If you're expecting FM4 style sim racing implanted into a free roam game you will be disappointed. If you judge it as a free roam racing game it's the best on the market. Most realistic for sure. NFS and Test Drive and the others are.... not so good....

So I gotta say I adore Horizon just driving around is fun, but if you're looking to GT style road race stay on FM4. I have circuted the N-ring countless times :)

Didn't feel like typing this again lol but I'm in the process of making a video comparing FM4 to Horizon in terms of driving. It's basically the same if not exactly the same. One thing that might be throwing you off is the arcade style dynamic camera when you brake and accelerate. Other than that when I'm done with the vid it'll show you its pretty spot on.

I'm not sure of your first sentence. Are you saying you beat the game in 20 hours?

I defentiely disagree that there's no depth or replay value. If you're only concentrating on getting to the end of the game, it's going to be a shallow exprience. And trust me, the career mode is one of my most important priorities I look for in a racing game. But there's a reason why I'm still on my pink wristband. I only do one festival race per session, and I don't even do that all the time. I'm just too busy having fun with other things to worry so much about beating the game.

Nope, I said I've only played about 20 hours of it, didn't say anything about beating it. I'm not motivated at all to get to the end.

I'm not concerned at all about beating the game. It just feels really flat and dull. For the record, I strongly detest colorful/fun/action oriented/arcadey racing games. Real sucker for sims. Nowhere close to the depth and exhilaration of driving a really fast car that FM4 offers. My initial expectation was: Forza game in an open world setting. Sadly, it isn't. I know a lot of gamers are going to defend that, but it just didn't GRAB me the way FM has all these years.

FH unfortunately, is missing key components that make a Forza game well...a Forza game. This is also why I feel it's such a let down, and a rather shallow experience when it's all summed up. To me, it's just another alternative to NFS/TDU. However, since PG did the majority of development, I've just written this off as another non-serious racing game. Looking forward to what FM5 brings to the table.

You enjoy it while you can. Cheers.

JustChyllan, drive your favorite stock car in FH, then right after, drive it in FM4.

See how much "richer" and "deeper" the experience is.

Oh well... FH targets a different audience altogether I suppose.

Nope, I said I've only played about 20 hours of it, didn't say anything about beating it. I'm not motivated at all to get to the end.

I'm not concerned at all about beating the game. It just feels really flat and dull. For the record, I strongly detest colorful/fun/action oriented/arcadey racing games. Real sucker for sims. Nowhere close to the depth and exhilaration of driving a really fast car that FM4 offers. My initial expectation was: Forza game in an open world setting. Sadly, it isn't. I know a lot of gamers are going to defend that, but it just didn't GRAB me the way FM has all these years.

FH unfortunately, is missing key components that make a Forza game well...a Forza game. This is also why I feel it's such a let down, and a rather shallow experience when it's all summed up. To me, it's just another alternative to NFS/TDU. However, since PG did the majority of development, I've just written this off as another non-serious racing game. Looking forward to what FM5 brings to the table.

You enjoy it while you can. Cheers.

Play NFS and tell me its the same as Horizon.... Some things are disappointing but its the most sim like free roam. I'll have fun with it while I can but I'll always end up running the N-Ring.

FM4 just blows my mind friend. Every time I boot it up after a couple of days.. it's like I'm falling in love all over again with my favorite cars. And there's just a strange kind of thrill and excitement about tuning up your car to no end, and pushing it to the edge on any given track. Never experienced physics this spot on in a console game. My friends half-faint when they come over and see FM4 in action. FH... they're like..mehh. They did find the visuals interesting, unlike me.

Best fix for lowering stress levels and boosting testosterone: FORZA MOTORSPORT 4!

I am a car nut at the end of the day... and while Horizon may be great fun to play, as contested by quite a few gamers and members here.. it still is IMHO, a non serious racing game. Maybe if I were 15 years old, I might have enjoyed it a lot. That's just me. A lotta folks will probably disagree with me I'm sure.

^ I'll just disagree with the "15 years old" bit. I'm fine with everything else, but the "you have to be a youngster to enjoy FH" attitude I've seen quite often really annoys me.

FM4 just blows my mind friend. Every time I boot it up after a couple of days.. it's like I'm falling in love all over again with my favorite cars. And there's just a strange kind of thrill and excitement about tuning up your car to no end, and pushing it to the edge on any given track. Never experienced physics this spot on in a console game. My friends half-faint when they come over and see FM4 in action. FH... they're like..mehh. They did find the visuals interesting, unlike me.

Best fix for lowering stress levels and boosting testosterone: FORZA MOTORSPORT 4!

I am a car nut at the end of the day... and while Horizon may be great fun to play, as contested by quite a few gamers and members here.. it still is IMHO, a non serious racing game. Maybe if I were 15 years old, I might have enjoyed it a lot. That's just me. A lotta folks will probably disagree with me I'm sure.

I agree its not a serious racing game but its some fun for now and I'll take that for what its worth. I'm bored with the game, addicted to photomode because of all the scenery.

I'm a gear head too in person so FM4 will always interest me more but because I'm also a photographer photomode in Horizon is just so impressive I can tinker with it for hours.

^ I'll just disagree with the "15 years old" bit. I'm fine with everything else, but the "you have to be a youngster to enjoy FH" attitude I've seen quite often really annoys me.

That gets on my nerves too. Just because of the way the game is presented they automatically assume only kids can enjoy it. The truth is, even the most "childish" racing game series out there, Mario Kart, has players who play on a serious and competitive level.

The "it's for kids" attitude bugs me too. Conversely, does this mean someone my age (46) should only be playing F4? Look, I don't mind when posters come here and say that the game isn't what they expected or that they don't get it or their preference is for a more sim-like experience. I get that. But I'm tired of posters who insinuate that kids who are too young to drive are the only ones who can possibly find this game enjoyable. Please Speedster911, don't take this as a knock on you - you've given it a try and simply prefer the depth of F4 and I respect your opinion. There's just been too many other posters who seem to relish in bashing FH.

For the record, I enjoyed playing F4 for most of the past year (at the expense of my GT5 now gathering dust), but I'm having a blast with FH and can't wait to get home from work so I can play some more.

I found a post on FM.net and I agree with almost all of it, and while we're still on the subject of the game being considered "childish", I especially agree with the bolded portion:

I've been playing Forza since the very beginning (that's right kids, that means Forza 1 all the way back on the OG Xbox) and although I was skeptical after the demo I believe Horizon has delivered in a big way. I even think it's better than Forza 4 (gasp!). And that's coming from a hardcore racing sim fan.

First of all, if you honestly can't feel the Forza physics engine working under the hood in Horizon with all the assists off and your difficulty on expert (eliminates the hidden STM), then you have not played a Forza game. It isn't quite one-to-one, but it's pretty darn close considering the team has added an open world and an extra 60 or so driving surfaces. Only the most ardent players will be able to tell a difference, and even then it's barely perceptible. More importantly, Horizon feels precisely nothing like NFS or TDU or any other arcade racer for that matter. If you take a high-end car out in Horizon and drive it like a maniac with all the assists off and the difficulty on expert you are going to get nowhere fast. Sure, you can fling a D-class Civic around with little effort, but that's true to life. Normal cars are simple to drive. Super cars are not. This has always been reflected in the Forza games. I know my Forza, and Horizon drives like Forza. Saying otherwise is simply incorrect.

I do wish tuning had made an appearance, but I understand why it didn't make the cut this time. Turn 10 has said previously that they couldn't possibly add any other surfaces or weather effects for fear of ruining Forza's immaculate but fragile physics engine. Horizon manages to fit new surfaces in (pretty impressive in and of itself), but tuning would exponentially increase the variables that the game would have to process at any given second. The 360 is no spring chicken these days, and I strongly suspect that it wouldn't be able to compute the tuning differential variables without crushing the game's frame rate. Besides, only about 5% of the community on FM4 actually knew how to tune. Everyone else simply bought tuning setups. Not really that exciting unless you are chasing .00001 second differences on Laguna Seca. I'd like to see it added back in for the next Horizon because it does admittedly add some depth to the experience, but I can easily live without it until then.

As for the age argument... Well, you're wrong. I'm a grown man with a wife, a full-time job, and a plethora of "grown-up" responsibilities. I find Horizon's upbeat atmosphere to be wholly preferable to FM's sterile, lifeless feel. The story isn't meant to be taken seriously and all of the characters are ridiculously tongue-in-cheek. Seriously, listen to the lines of dialogue and the radio DJs; these people were designed as half-jokes meant to keep things light-hearted while still moving you forward. If you are attempting to take the story or characters seriously, you're doing it wrong. Ironically, I suspect that you are a kid (probably right on the cusp of adulthood, maybe 20 or so) who is so self-concious that you can't enjoy anything unless you can be serious and "grown-up" with it. Real grown-ups don't have that issue.

I like bright colors and lively music and, most importantly, I love driving. Horizon provides all of these things while still feeling like Forza at its core. I think the game is impossibly good considering what the dev team took on here, and I'm going to have a lot of trouble going back to the clinical grinding that used to be the hallmark of Forza Motorsport after being let off the leash to stretch to my automotive legs as I see fit. The series needed desperately to evolve (look at FM4s comparitively poor sales and the posts attacking it as "Forza 3.5" all over the internet if you need evidence of that), and I think Turn 10 and Playground moved the series in exactly the direction it needed to go. Demanding that a series never grow or evolve will eventually lead to its death. The devs made the right call here, and if their first step is any indication then I think we can expect some truly awesome stuff from them in the future.

Sorry you hate Horizon so much, hopefully one day you can stop being "serious" and enjoy a game that finally gives automotive masterpieces the playground they deserve. I, for one, am all in on this one.

Love,

A "serious" Forza fan

TL: DR version: OP is dead wrong, Horizon is amazing.

Hey, meant no disrespect about the age thing. Good luck though, with extracting shelf life out of it.

Lot of folks have sold or returned their copies, unfortunately.

I don't think its a 15 year old thing. Some of the characters are cheesy but in all honesty the fact that there aren't any police makes it feel a little more grown up for me... Also there aren't random jumps and things like that, just natural scenery.

Its more fun for me when I have 30 minutes to play, FM4 I feel like I have to sit down and play for a while, where as in Horizon there are so many small objectives good for blowing some time.

I'll be back and forth between FM4 and FH because I still love FM4.

Almost completed the game..ive made it to the final, but ive still got a few gold events left to do first..won all the street races..got all the upgrade discounts, one barn find left and 31st popularity..

Almost completed the game..ive made it to the final, but ive still got a few gold events left to do first..won all the street races..got all the upgrade discounts, one barn find left and 31st popularity..

Only 31st in popularity?? I was 1 before the festival final. Hmmm

Ok.........I bought the game day one and have played about an hour a day more or less and have beat every race/festival event/showdown in the game. The only thing that I havent done is win all of the Outpost challenges...Im ranked 31st in popularity...and have over 14 mil in money.....AND IM OFFICIALY TIRED OF THE GAME....The multi-player is a joke...If you get a private lobby its fun but most of the time is a bunch of people crashing into you on every turn..So I turned on FM4 for the first time yesterday and I have to say Forza Horizon has made me appreciate the crisp sounds and looks of the hundreds of cars I have in my garage....So Im going to step away from this game until the expansion pack comes out......

@Speedster911:
So you think FH feels flat and dull, and offers a shallow experience. I think FM4 feels flat and dull, and offers a shallow experience. Sure there are a ton of races to do, but they're all very short, they all run the same few (flat and straight) tracks, and you're asked to do very similar challenges over and over and over again. After the Season Pass ended I was completely disinterested in more DLC cars because there was nothing fun to do with them. The track list is seriously weak.

Different games, different audiences, like you said. I happen to enjoy playing all kinds of racing games. However, physics are high priority for me so I'm drawn to sims. On that note, I believe Horizon delivers on its "Forza authenticity" promise, and I couldn't have said it any better than in that post MuoNiuLa quoted from FM.net.

I think the reason Horizon seems a bit enigmatic/controversial is because its concept is an anachronism. It's a straightforward, traditional racing game, but it makes an honest attempt to simulate a car. That niche has been left mostly empty since the dawn of 3D gaming in the 1990s. Back then, there was no reason to "pull punches" on physics because high-fidelity simulation in real time wasn't possible. If developers didn't try their best, the game wouldn't really feel like a car at all.

Since then, in the wake of Gran Turismo, "realistic handling" became attached to a particular kind of racing game, and if you ask me it got stuck in a rut. While mainstream titles refined the "arcadey handling" concept, games with sim-like qualities could be found in one of two forms: the Gran Turismo clone, and the bargain bin gem. Making a challenging racing game that didn't ape the GT formula was a risk, and only small & inexperienced developers seemed willing to try.

Now it's been so long that no one knows what to make of Horizon. It's a game, that's also a simulator, and fully acknowledges that it's a game. People are confused. If it didn't have Forza's reputation to stand on, I'm sure it would have crashed and burned like every non-GT-clone before it.

For all its contemporary flamboyance, I think Horizon is truly oldschool. Even "The Need for Speed" sported more sim-oriented handling than most of its offspring. It's not like Playground Games stumbled upon a new idea. They've simply revived a forgotten one. Personally, I've been waiting for a game like this for a long, long time.

Well, you certainly make very valid points, and I can relate to quite a few of them. Made for a good read too!

I would though, quite humbly disagree over the fact that FH is a simulator. It is, however, among the best looking open road racers out there, and standing next to the likes of NFS and TDU, it is quite realistic IMO.

However, I can't help but feel disappointed over certain aspects that were given less focus. Key areas being lack of tuning, crash physics, overall toned down driving physics, and a little lack of polish in the special effects department (PS1 style tire smoke anyone?). It is what it is though, and it can be fun. But gets boring far too quickly. In all honesty, the game can be really fun at a distance.. but when examined closely lacks polish and refinement. I understand I'm making a bold statement, and there are going to be quite a handful of disagreements.

The thing you got to REALLY appreciate about FM4 is the learning curve, and to me that means only one thing: depth and shelf life. Sure, the circuits seem all too familiar, but it's the endless tuning options and car set ups, that keep you coming back for more.

I'm starting to think maybe FH was just an experiment that devs wanted to undergo in order to see how the "hardcore sim fans" as well as the "general Forza fan" react. Just to keep us all busy until FM5 arrives.

I truly hope FM5 sticks to its roots though.

Cheers man, to each their own. Happy driving!

P.s: fond memories playing the first NFS! Every now and then, you get to see a lot of "original NFS" and "Midtown Madness" in FH which is cool!

I have to agree with Wolfe about FH rekindling a forgotten idea in racing games. These days it's either hardcore sim or complete arcade, nothing in between. I grew up with the 'in betweens' like TNFS and NFS Porsche Unleashed (PC version). They weren't sims by any means, but realism was kept in mind while blending that with the fun aspect associated with arcade racers of that time.

When I learned about FH being somewhat of a simcade, it reminded me of the oldschool racers I grew up with, and sure enough FH delivered that but with modern gameplay and graphics. A game like this is long over due IMO, and I'm glad to finally see it.

I also want to mention that this is my first Forza game that I've gotten into. So no, I'm not a long time follower of the main series. But I hope that doesn't invalidate my or any newcomer's opinions. I feel that I bought FH for different reasons than those who are into the main series, and I hope that's okay. Those reasons being a game centered around the love of cars in an open world environment, coupled with a laid back atmosphere and fun, easy to pick up sim-ish physics. That's all my expectations entailed.

By the way, this was a day one purchase and I'm only 17% done. I'm going to take my sweet time completing this.

Well, you certainly make very valid points, and I can relate to quite a few of them. Made for a good read too!
:cheers:

I would though, quite humbly disagree over the fact that FH is a simulator...Key areas being lack of tuning, crash physics, overall toned down driving physics
I don't think the driving physics are toned down. FM4 was already an easy game by simulation standards, with magic save-anything countersteer and nerfed lift-off oversteer. You've got to agree it's no PC sim. Horizon is hardly any easier than FM4 -- your average gamer will still loathe this game on Expert settings -- and with the switch to lumpy public roads I think Horizon is actually more challenging/rewarding than FM4. I know my friends are having a harder time with this one.

As for tuning and crashing, my view is this: you could spend all day in the most realistic driving simulator in the world without ever tuning something or hitting anything. They're just not essential features for me. I hardly tune my cars (final drive ratio and differential lock, that's it), and I'm actually partial to the "slip-n-slide" collision model PG went with here, because it facilitates fair online play and keeps your momentum going. A realistic collision model opens the door to abuse and multiplies the number of spinouts you'll experience. It's not very fun.

I'm also very happy they added the option to disable damage completely. FM4 replays were frustrating for video or photo opportunities because the tiniest bumps would shatter and crumple everything.

In all honesty, the game can be really fun at a distance.. but when examined closely lacks polish and refinement. I understand I'm making a bold statement, and there are going to be quite a handful of disagreements.
What I find when I examine the game closely is a circuit racer that has been chopped up and rearranged into a makeshift open world with traffic: There are no parked cars where we can bump into them, no actual pedestrians, collisions are a bit sloppy, and new special effects like the headlights are limited compared to other games (eg. Shift 2 Unleashed).

Horizon isn't completely polished and refined, but it's considering it's a Frankengame I think they did an admirable job sewing it back up. I can't wait to see what they do with the next game, and I know I'll be playing this one constantly until then. :)

I have to agree with Wolfe about FH rekindling a forgotten idea in racing games. These days it's either hardcore sim or complete arcade, nothing in between...

I also want to mention that this is my first Forza game that I've gotten into...I feel that I bought FH for different reasons than those who are into the main series, and I hope that's okay. Those reasons being a game centered around the love of cars in an open world environment, coupled with a laid back atmosphere and fun, easy to pick up sim-ish physics. That's all my expectations entailed.
It's great to hear a perspective on Horizon from someone new to Forza. 👍

As I described above, Horizon and FM4 don't feel terribly different. Speedster911 may disagree, but Forza has always been a bit "simcade," although it leans more heavily on "sim" than almost any other console game. The main difference with FM4 is how it frames its gameplay, and the options it offers. Both games are highly accessible.

If there is one thing that FM4 and FH have in common besides the obviously shared name and assets, it's the accesiblity.

It's great to see that the game draw someone new to the Forza franchise - and I think that's exactly what the game was supposed to do. I doubt that it was created with the hardcore sim-racers in mind. And that's okay, in my opinion. I'm really looking forward to purchasing a good gaming PC so I can enjoy the whole range of sim-esque driving games, from hardcore PC sims to the sim-heavy simcades like FM4, to the more arcadey simcades like FH.

Back