Why do cars put on weight and lose power when you buy them?

  • Thread starter Thread starter trini_gangsta
  • 12 comments
  • 1,783 views
Messages
24
Ferrari F40 at the dealership: 478HP, 1100kg
Ferrari F40 in my garage immediately after buying: 440HP, 1352kg

WHAT?! Turned into something I wouldn't have bought.
 
normal PD programming glitch, its only needed fixed since GT3, maybe in 10 more years they can fix it.
 
Well, the horsepower spec at the dealer is the factory rated horsepower when the car was new. Just like a real used car, over time things wear out and power is lost.
First thing I do after I buy a used car is go to the maintenance section and perform the Engine Rebuild option. This typically gets the car back to, or close to, the production spec.
As for the weight addition, I'm not really sure. Maybe they are including driver weight once you own it?
 
According to some other guys here, the specs you see in the dealerships are the manufacturer specs, so they're all a bit optimistic and loose with the truth. When you buy them you get the real specs.

I'm not sure if I like that. On one hand it's annoying not getting as powerful a car as you'd hoped, on the other it's kinda funny that even virtual dealers are talking out of their asses in order to make a sale.
 
As for the weight addition, I'm not really sure. Maybe they are including driver weight once you own it?


Yep. You shouldn't tell your real weight when you did your account.
 
I checked the list of "typical competitors" to find a suitable car to race, and the '01 GTI was listed at something over 200 hp. I bought a brand new one from the dealership, changed the oil, and got stuck with 140 storming ponies. I won what I needed to but it was frustrating to see the "same" AI car banging into my bumper as the field accellerated away at the start. I also thought I'd bought a decent Alfa for the Italian challenge in the second tier, only to see the Lancia Stratos sports car in the field -- though never mentioned in the list. It rocketed away and was uncatchable when the game put it in the front row, but I caught it when it started farther back.
 
I checked the list of "typical competitors" to find a suitable car to race, and the '01 GTI was listed at something over 200 hp. I bought a brand new one from the dealership, changed the oil, and got stuck with 140 storming ponies. I won what I needed to but it was frustrating to see the "same" AI car banging into my bumper as the field accellerated away at the start. I also thought I'd bought a decent Alfa for the Italian challenge in the second tier, only to see the Lancia Stratos sports car in the field -- though never mentioned in the list. It rocketed away and was uncatchable when the game put it in the front row, but I caught it when it started farther back.

The "Typical competitors" list seems to use modified cars. Interestingly, it can both add power and take it away; the Veyron being listed with 600-something horsepower, or the Griffith popping into the Pro British race with 240-something. I guess it's PD's way to increase the variety of competitors at the expense of realism.

As for the weight changes after purchase, maybe what MidianGTX said is true; the dealer numbers are the manufacturer's quoted specs. I know that Lambo likes to quote dry weights for their cars to appear lighter.
 
The R32 GTR I bought lost weight (significantly, 150KG or more) and gained power. I get the gaining power thing, Japanese cars of the era were marketed at 276HP max but went a bit over this. Weight is weird, but it went down to 1500 off KG, which is right for the car. they're all around 1700KG in the dealer, but only the 35 is that heavy IRL. Maybe they want to make the 35 look better? :p
 
Well, the horsepower spec at the dealer is the factory rated horsepower when the car was new. Just like a real used car, over time things wear out and power is lost.
First thing I do after I buy a used car is go to the maintenance section and perform the Engine Rebuild option. This typically gets the car back to, or close to, the production spec.
As for the weight addition, I'm not really sure. Maybe they are including driver weight once you own it?

Maybe he's a family man, and they added the weight of his wife and two kids aswell ?? :L
 
The F40 weight was wrong in prologue, it APPEARS that the weight was changed in the DEALERSHIP but NOT in the actual CAR SPECS.

I noticed this in prologue at least when people complained to PD that the weight was wrong PD changed it but ONLY in the dealership ;)
 
Well, It may be a very stupid thing I'm about to say, but:

American version of Ferrari F40 was heavier that the worldwide version. By any chance your F40 is a US version?
 
According to some other guys here, the specs you see in the dealerships are the manufacturer specs, so they're all a bit optimistic and loose with the truth. When you buy them you get the real specs.

I'm not sure if I like that. On one hand it's annoying not getting as powerful a car as you'd hoped, on the other it's kinda funny that even virtual dealers are talking out of their asses in order to make a sale.

This. Its so funny, it almost makes it acceptable. And because of this, I dont get excited about the specs until after I brought it home and gave it an oil change.
 
Back