Why doesnt PD allow us with only a DFGT to have a button set for using a clutch?

  • Thread starter Thread starter GTOne2Three
  • 32 comments
  • 3,068 views
TheProfessional
I'd hate to be mid-turn feeling around on the wheel for a button to push while changing a gear.

Same here, clutch is meant to be for your foot, not your hand, I only have two hands, you can only do so much.

I can barely use the paddle shifters alone when I'm on the ring with my DFGT.
 
Having a clutch button on the wheel wouldn't imply that the auto-clutch feature (which makes it automatically engage/disengage during gearshifts) would be disabled. It would be there to enable the user to disengage it at any time for any other reason (starts, drifting, etc) while retaining gearshift ease.

By the way, several months ago I proposed that a limited (yet powerful and not hard to use) and optional form of clutch control without a clutch pedal could be enabled by holding any shifting button (up, down or reverse). This would bypass the autoclutch/rev matching feature.

In the most complex case (downshifts) it would go like this:

[Hold Shift Down Button] -> Clutch disengaged -> [Accelerate to match engine rpm] -> [Release Shift Down Button] -> Clutch engaged, gear engaged.

The user would have control on how fast the gear is engaged. The quicker buttons are pressed, the faster the clutch would be engaged/disengaged. But he would have to pay attention to not do that too quickly or the gear might not engage. Holding down the shift button (but a generic clutch button to disengage it without pre-loading a gear could be added) would enable the user to freewheel the engine.

Of course, this would be complex, but optional.
Even so, though, I don't see PD ever implementing such a thing or anything similar. They're too scared to innovate and provide options and possibilities.
Or rather, I feel that Yamauchi's vision of the automotive world is closer to the idea of admiration of static cars rather than driving technique and car control and this hinders improvements or revolutions on that aspect.
 
Last edited:
I own a G27, and the clutch implementation in this game is absolutely abysmal. You're not missing out on anything, I promise.
 
Back