Why haven't you gotten a wheel yet?

Discussion in 'Gran Turismo Sport' started by 6nin36, Sep 25, 2018.

1. 6nin36

6nin36

For those of you on DS4, any reason for not getting a wheel apart from cost?

2. Sven Jurgens

Sven Jurgens

Space and playing on different tvs all the time.

PSVR is already a hassle to move around, wheel, pedals, chair, no room!

Atomi and philipPF like this.
  3. Cerebral303

Cerebral303

Disability.

4. AUTISTICBOYX

AUTISTICBOYX

Frugality

5. 05XR8

05XR8

Deciding where to make space.

DesertPenguin likes this.
  6. zzz_pt

zzz_pt

I have a wheel now but:

1) Space
    2) Fitness / hilness
    3) Wife ^^
    4) Some people prefer controllers

7. syntex123

syntex123 Premium

I had a wheel (sold it a couple of weeks back) but:

1) Space
    2) Dust collector
    3) Fiancé
    4) I prefer controller. (At the moment)

:D

xXMann07 and zzz_pt like this.
  8. .star.

.star.

I don't take the game that seriously. It's fun and all but it's just a game. Rather spend money on the real car/track.

xXMann07 and SecretAgentZero like this.
  9. Nielsen

Nielsen

I haven't because I wouldn't want to use a wheel without a seat, and then I'd constantly have to rearrange my living room. Besides, I don't have any trouble driving fast with a gamepad. In GT Sport I'm particularly fond of the fact that steering can be done by tilting the DS4, so the difference between that and a wheel is not really huge, other than not having FFB and floor pedals.

10. syntex123

syntex123 Premium

Same. I wasn’t quicker with a wheel, but I’m not slower with a controller either.

JockeP22 and Nielsen like this.
  11. Salty66

Salty66

I guess it's related to cost but I personally don't see the value in buying one. I can't justify spending a few hundred dollars on what is essentially an expensive controller you can only use for a handful of games. If I had more time and only played racing games then I could probably see myself getting one.

.star. likes this.
  12. Victoria H

Victoria H

I'm a casual player so I don't think I can justify buying a wheel only to play GTS. Plus I live in a small apartment and have no room to place a wheel anyway...

I'm happy with the DS4.

perja55 and SecretAgentZero like this.
  13. azrilnazli

azrilnazli

Wheel is only for serious simrace who have dedicate space and time to enjoy game.

Using wheel also quite tiring and for DS4 user to relearn will took them some times.

I have few friend retired their wheel after a while because its tougher than a controller 42453006_10156634683807145_2902682522343178240_o.jpg

14. MrBrunoA

MrBrunoA

Space. Want to keep the room clean. Might buy one in the future though.

15. syntex123

syntex123 Premium

Saying wheels are only for serious simracers is a bit.. I don’t know. You know where I’m aiming. Playing with a wheel can be fun for casuals too, but the investment might not be as worth it as it was back in the day. I remember back before my dad died, we played the hell out of NFS Porsche Unleashed with an all-plastic Microsoft wheel. No FFB or anything. Still a lot of fun. Doesn’t take a simracer to have fun with a wheel.

16. FRR35H

FRR35H

I wouldn't say it's just for serious racers only. I am a casual gamer at best. I do love my racing games and invested in a wheel and got myself a rig for it purely because the majority of my gaming is racing. I got my VR for the imerssiveness (is that even a word?) of racing games that support it. They can take up space that is correct, but aside from that there is no real downside to it if you get the right equipment.

My setup is this:
    • Logitech G27 racing wheel with modified pedals by GTEYE.
    • Next Level Racing GT EXTREME V2
    • Chronus Max Drivehub wheel converter (converts the wheel to work on most systems by emulating other wheels. Works flawlessly)
    • PSVR for VR racing in GT Sport
    The good thing about this setup is that the G27 can be used alot more for different games. So it's not just a one game wheel. I use my G27 on Forza games, Gran Turismo (including Ps2 era), PC games (including games like Truck Sims).
    The stand itself is even compatible with flight sticks and yaw pedals for Flight sims, something i am looking to get next for my flight simulator sessions.

17. zzz_pt

zzz_pt

Playing on a steering wheel does demand more of your body. Long sessions or endurance races can be tough. With a controller, it's easier to maintain the "fitness" because you're only using your hands/fingers.

I know this because I've played with a controller since the first GT back in 1998 and only got a wheel for GT Sport (19 years, all GT games and thousands of hours of play time). I was fast before and I'm faster now but I do feel the "pain" after a day driving in GT now, which is good in a way because I have to stop and do something else.

I'm one of those people who can stay for hours on end doing something (like doing TT trying to shove another tenth or fighting a tough boss in a souls game or any other "mechanical" task). I got a tendinitis playing Bloodborne (farmining gems)... I bet if I was playing it on a steering wheel, I would pause once in a while and avoid the injury. ^^

18. kilesa4568

kilesa4568

My wheel leaves me exhausted and sweaty and that's just from setting up a Playseat challenge and G29. After 2 or 3 hours using the wheel, my knees, back and ankles ache. I've also got rhino hide callouses on my thumbs.

My wheel is one of the best things I've ever bought. I love it.:lol:

Mat73, ZappaD, Sentry87 and 17 others like this.
  19. 05XR8

05XR8

This.

When GT4 came out, I had a man cave in my old house. I moved house a couple times and had the space, but didn't want to invest. A friend has GTS VR and loves it. So, it's not about being hardcore. It's about enjoying the game any way you want to play it.

20. Skygrasper550

Skygrasper550 Premium

Space. Not enough of it.

21. TonyJZX

TonyJZX

This^^^

I have a G29 and the toy shifter and an old recaro seat and I use an old 40" fhd tv... this takes up significant room and further to this, I feel like its 'work' driving a full setup... I'm faster on DS4 but of course, I normally drive 6 spd manual clutch and you know PD still hasnt fixed the on/off clutch.

I like to relax and the controller is close enough.

Also I feel like the G29 is about as cheap as you can get and any other option is a fair bit more. I quite like a T300 etc. but if the G29 aint broke...

Alpha Cipher likes this.
  22. Hoof Arted

Hoof Arted

As FRR35H eluded to, for a majority of wheel users it's about immersion; it's a driving game after all. Of course the level of immersion depends on how much you're willing to invest in the wheel itself and any other accessories.

I'd say space is a limiting factor for most people. I use a study/computer desk that I share with my PC and simply bolt on/off my wheel when needed. It's not that sturdy, but it works for me. I'm using a wheel that I've had since GT5 and have never looked back.

23. TonyJZX

TonyJZX

THere's also some laziness involved. eg. I have the wheel set up permanently and I can move the stuff away from the TV however you can only do that and it tends to hogg that TV so you cant use it for anything else...

24. I-Runner

I-Runner

I have the wheel but at the moment I have "space" problems at home .... or me or the wheel (no other choices) .
    I hope for a new lay-out of my "environment" in the future...

IR

25. Crazy Taylor

Crazy Taylor Premium

I have better things to waste 200 quid on. Also I'm not that into this.

26. azrilnazli

azrilnazli

Once they comitted to driving game, then they will justify the cost of buying a wheel

A wheel can cost from usd199( g29 newegg ) or usd5500 ( leo bodnar simsteering 2 )

fastone371 and perja55 like this.
  27. CrimsonKing

CrimsonKing

I play video games mainly to relax so I play from my bed.

Alpha Cipher likes this.
  28. FA Racing

FA Racing

Play only racing games, so changed from DS4 pad to wheel a few weeks ago and love every minute of it [when I have time to play]. Did not make me faster, but much more consistent on more technical tracks. Fortunate to have two spare rooms in the house, so have one now as a games room and the other as wife's "studio".

29. Tired Tyres

Tired Tyres

I have two wheels. A T150 with G29 pedals in my Playseat Challenge in my spare room and a replacement G29 stored but easily attached to a desk in moments.

There are times, especially with GTS, when I can't be bothered to use a wheel when I can park my butt in an armchair use a pad.

30. Crazy Taylor

Crazy Taylor Premium

Should have a counter argument. Why do I need a wheel?

MrCrynox, Victoria H and MMX like this.