Why haven't you gotten a wheel yet?

• Thread starter 6nin36
  • 346 comments
Well no time to play GTS really and also space in the room, plus wife doesnt like to much clutter around

Re: the wife objection. There are strategies that can be employed. ;-) Perhaps get something that folds away like the Playseat challenge I pictured above. Don't hesitate to point out how cheap a sim racing setup is compared with buying a sports car and/or thrashing your everyday road car on a track. Also point out how lucky she is not to have you spending lots of time away from home indulging a hobby like that and stress how there's no life or limb threatening injuries being risked. Play that set of cards right and she'll be practically begging to buy you a home setup!!

Full disclosure though. My wife isn't overly thrilled with the look of the Playseat, even if it can be folded away when not being used. We still have a small apartment and she understood "a steering wheel" christmas gift to be just that. I didn't elaborate on the pedals and I may have neglected to mention that it needed to be attached to something solid like a playseat or wheelstand.

Is it even worth it to buy a wheel for gts?

I'm asking this cause I have a wheel with a brake mod and in any other racing games like project cars 1 and 2, dirt rally, f1 series, etc, I have no problem with the wheel and pedals but in gts, due to the lack of wheel and pedal settings.... it's awful.
I have to remove the brake mod to be able to break.
There are no wheel or pedal calibration, no sensitivity options, nothing.

I’d say yes, but it takes a fair bit of time invested to get the most benefit.
You have 2 settings ffb torque and ffb sensitivity.
It’s not like project cars where the default settings don’t even work.
In gts the game sets the wheel rotation per car-you could change it but I never do.
Also you can’t custom cal pedals to have brainless threshold braking which I like.

I’d say yes, but it takes a fair bit of time invested to get the most benefit.
You have 2 settings ffb torque and ffb sensitivity.
It’s not like project cars where the default settings don’t even work.
In gts the game sets the wheel rotation per car-you could change it but I never do.
Also you can’t custom cal pedals to have brainless threshold braking which I like.

OK. I thought I was missing something, but I see I wasn't.
So only toy like pedals work.

Don't have need for one. Even though they are nice to have, I couldn't justify spending several hundred dollars on a good wheel. The money that I didn't spend on a wheel could go somewhere else.

This G29 is honestly one of the best toys I’ve ever purchased. Love it more by the day. I also told myself that I didn’t need a wheel and that I enjoyed the game plenty using ds4 and the price tag could be better spent on other stuff but really.....it’s amazing.

And resale value is really decent on them so if worst comes to worst and it doesn’t meet expectations, you can recoup most of your money.

This G29 is honestly one of the best toys I’ve ever purchased. Love it more by the day. I also told myself that I didn’t need a wheel and that I enjoyed the game plenty using ds4 and the price tag could be better spent on other stuff but really.....it’s amazing.

And resale value is really decent on them so if worst comes to worst and it doesn’t meet expectations, you can recoup most of your money.

I highly recommend a wheel and pedals. Figure our cost per hour. Super addictive and good for one mind and body.
Personally, I don’t use a rig. Pedals can be mounted to a nice heavy flat piece of wood or a pre made shelf or something if you have a cordless drill or can borrow one.
Standard upright chair. Something to clamp or bolt a wheel to. I use a 2x6 and 2 c clamps holding it. One could use sawhorses easily if aesthetics are not a concern.
With a bit of ingenuity you can get mounting good enough to make your skills your limiting factor.
If one enjoys driving games I think it’s a must.
If you have even a bit of ingenuity or a friend who does and can flip em a couple beers for help it’s the price of the wheel and that’s it.
If you haven’t tried ffb it’s worth it IMO.
A t80 is under a hundred bucks I’m pretty sure although no ffb it gives you a sense of what is available.
A wheel is an experience.

It's arrived. A nice little Xmas present to myself. Now I just need to figure out how I'm going to mount it until I grab a wheel stand, next payday.

Then I'll be hopping on my girlfriend's account to get some practice.

49204860_10218393795816242_5138374683955036160_o.jpg

Considering what entertainment cost such as going to the movie theater, concerts, dineing out or the cost of repairs, gas, tires and such if I were to do some track days with my car. It makes the PS4, wheel, rig and game seem like a bargain.

But the final nail in the coffin that convinced me to buy a wheel and rig was adding up what I've already spent on just replacing worn or broken ds3's.
7 of them @ $50. each playing GT5 and GT6. Then with a PS4, the R2 trigger broke within a month on two ds4's @$60. each playing GTSport.
it just didn't make any sense for me not to buy a wheel.

My only regret is I wish I bought one sooner.
After the learning curve, to get back up to speed, I rather stop playing then go back to using a controller.

Everything is relative.

Imagine what gas alone would cost IRL. Tires. Repairs. Insurance. Even a T-GT is cheaper than a Recaro seat. You're saving thousands of $s. :P

[disclaimer: I may be trying to justify a recent Black Friday purchase]

Last edited:
The R2 trigger on my DS4 wore out late last year. It’s the one that came packaged with my system. I haven’t had any problems with my replacement. I’ve read that the triggers that come bundled with the systems tend to wear out sooner.

Is there some good advice for making adaptation from ds4 to wheel more efficient and effective?

Like run on certain track or use certain setup? Don't recommend me run into Sport Mode yet, sometime I still overshoot and easily out track or hit wall cause of that.

Notch up some game hours on different tracks and differnt cars. I bet after 6 hours with the wheel, you'll find it weird to use the DS4. My wheel is less than 2 weeks old and DS4 driving feels really strange now....

Don't be mad. I'll buy you a g29.

Nah, a t100. G29 has FFB. It's buying advantage.

I have a t80, but it’s going to a friend. I use the old faithful t300. The thing that’s great about sport mode is equal footing.
Knowledgeable sim people put a lot of time and energy into tech to try to gain an advantage as pretty much is standard it seems in the gaming world.
People will do anything to win and if they don’t they cry.
Custom mapping braking and throttle is in effect playing a different game imo.
Setting up your brake for a given car to get threshold braking is no longer a skill. It’s a pre race tech thing.
I honestly feel like having a wheel over ds4 is an advantage when it comes to tire wear and certain parts of tracks, but I am not a gamer with good ds4 skills.
Another thing that’s great is I can pit my skills against those on pad. Think about that for a second. Gt has done a great thing by this. It’s possible to be very very fast on pad.
So you have more competition. I think it’s great.
Tbh the cost of a wheel factored over time vs other forms of entertainment expense is nominal.
A wheel is very cheap fun where you figure cost per hour. It’s very easy to rack up serious hours on this game if, like a dolphin you have leisure time...

Back