Why haven't you gotten a wheel yet?

• Thread starter 6nin36
  • 346 comments
I have the budget ($1k+) and a dedicated room in my basement for the perfect rig, it would be neat, clean, hidden wires etc and i am sure fantastic to use.

However it would mean 3 to 4 nights per week buring in the basement and not with the mrs as we relax after putting kids to bed. So the compromise is i use a controller and she watches her soaps on a tablet so we can be in the same room.

it does work to some degree as we can discuss family matters but she's still not happy watching soaps on the smaller screen and lately has been using a tv in another room ... at which point .. i'd prefer to just get the rig.

Single men, be warned, choose wisely. Very wisely.

My solution is, I bought a new 4K HDR tv when the old 1080p tv started to show weird pixelation. Then I put the old tv on the floor under the window next to the new tv. That's what I mainly play GTS on now (the pixelation pattern doesn't bother me when racing) while my wife and I watch tv (and she chats/browses/plays on the IPhone)

I have a dedicated home theater in the basement where I used to play all my games. This solution works better than disappearing downstairs all the time.

Last edited:
I was in every task with a major gap the way fastest and safest, I did not even taped a single cone. The teacher was heavy impressed. So thats why a sim game driving with a wheel is not limited to beeing only a game from my point of view.

I feel the same. I was at a track day time attack with some less experienced folks in much more powerful cars. I was quicker overall (thanks to years of playing GT with a wheel) in my little 5-speed WRX on street tyres than some people in 6-speed STIs & Evos. I even recorded a faster time than a drifter in her stripped/caged RX-8 on R compound tyres.

My experience in GTSport using a wheel, gave me the knowledge and muscle memory to naturally do what was necessary to regain control of my car. My reaction was automatic, I was off the throttle, counter-steered, and straightened out my wheel as soon as traction was regained. I am 100% certain that if I did not have the experience and knowledge gained from GTSport I would have been in a major accident.

I had an eerily similar experience years ago in my BMW E30, driving on a damp curved exit ramp. Took it a little too quickly, the rear end stepped out (2.7L torque, no TC, no LSD). Instantly, my brain processed what it was like driving the Viper in GT. I eased off the throttle, added countersteer and saved myself, catching the slide and avoiding a huge accident. Funnily enough, this was BEFORE I got a wheel, during the PS2 era. So it's not to say that having experience with a pad doesn't translate to real life driving skills at all. But if I didn't have vivid memories of trying to keep a Viper under control, I would've probably crashed.

I've gone from G25 to T500RS to T-GT, and they really are some of the best things I've blown tons of money on. I've got lots of games left unplayed because GT Sport is all I ever play nowadays. But I'm married and maintaining a relationship is hard work. I try to limit my play to 1 or 2 hours every couple of days. I'm extremely lucky that my wife let me have a man cave where I've got my wheel, guitars, etc. But gone are the days where I can do 3-4 hour continuous stints whenever I want. Gaming can be a selfish hobby if you don't prioritise.

But if you're single, have your own space, got some money and absolutely love cars/driving, a wheel is one of the most fun, involving and immersive things you could ever buy. (And it might just save you from an accident some day.)

It surprises me that some say they are faster with the pad, or equal at least.

And some mention that its just a game. Yes of course it is, but let me tell a little anectode.

3 weeks ago at a sunday we have been as employees of our company on a driving- safety training event. The task was driving a little course with 2 slalom sections, afterwards several braking, braking & steering and different manouvers at a wet underground.

We were 13 people. I was in every task with a major gap the way fastest and safest, I did not even taped a single cone. The teacher was heavy impressed.

Why? Because I saw immediately the driving line to take and was used to brake and steer manouvers.

So thats why a sim game driving with a wheel is not limited to beeing only a game from my point of view.

I suspect you did well simply because you have experience with sim racing. Not necessarily because you use a wheel. However, I won't rule out that you may be better with a wheel than you are with a gamepad. It's common.

I suspect you did well simply because you have experience with sim racing. Not necessarily because you use a wheel. However, I won't rule out that you may be better with a wheel than you are with a gamepad. It's common.

The experience carries over anywhere. I take some mean corners navigating through the supermarket, side by side around the produce aisle, nail that safety bar apex at the meat section and slide in first to the register, clean race bonus!

I’ve had several lobby races just this week where I took the lead, and had at least one seriously fast player breathing down my neck the entire time requiring me to race mistake free and push the limit. I closed out some great wins, broke personal records with team members cheering me on, and finished shaken and sore from some serious adrenaline rushes.

I’ve had similar experiences on the controller, but they were much less frequent. It seemed tougher for me to “get in the zone” I guess.

I’d say racing a wheel is kinda like being in a fight. Some folks enjoy the pain. I’m online looking for folks that will crush my hopes and dreams. I want to fight my way out of a bloodbath. It’s the best way to get faster IMO.

For those of you on DS4, any reason for not getting a wheel apart from cost?

I have a DFGT + adapter and I'm much faster with it but I normally use a controller anyway. I don't have the space to keep the wheel set up when I'm not using it and it's a chore putting it away and taking it out again. It's undeniably a better feeling to drive with a wheel but I'm happy enough just being reasonably competitive in the top split and I can do that with a ds4

One of my main issues with wheels is that they take up room, they sort of make use of a TV or PC monitor unusable if you leave it there.

I just leave my stuff set up permanently.

Further I think the 26 mile daily requirement means I just play that for each day so if I had to set it up and take it down every day I wouldnt bother.

For those concerned with space, the playseat challenge seat is amazing it can fold up very quickly to take it in and out of the closet etc.. I have that and thrustmaster t300 rs gt. All well under 1k. Could not be happier.

I was looking at exactly the same offer. Like a lot here though I have my reasons not to leap even if you can get the wheel and seat at a half reasonable cost:

1: Half reasonable cost is still a price that would help pay for a lot of other essentials.
2: I'm a casual gamer with only half an our or so in the eve. It seems like overkill unless I'm going to start to lose bigger chunks of my life to GT.
3: Pad control may not be as immersive but I can complete a race with a half dignified result without spending serious money.
4: Wouldn't it be horrible to order a wheel in the expectation that it would improve your times and only to find out that you were quicker with a pad? I know it's more about immersion but I've seen members post that were actually faster with pad.
5: Related to 2, when you only dip in and out of the game and have a few mins to do it even a 5 min set up can be a chunk of your time.
6: If you play with a partner in the room who may read, use a laptop, phone or other while you mess about on the game the seat and wheel seem a little more "get lost I'm playing" than just sitting with a pad on your lap.

But yeh...I'd love a Playseat and wheel.:lol:

It took me a long time to build up the courage to buy one, but now that I did I could never go back to DS4, even though I am less competitive with the wheel.

Now don’t be telling me that. It totally undermines my lame ass list of excuses.

• Learnt with a controller since GT4 as a 6 year old.
  • Space.
  • I would prefer a complete setup instead of a wheel and pedals.
  • I don't need a wheel to be a pro. I still dominate with a controller.
  • All of the above.

I'd always played Gran Turismo with a controller but bought a wheel for GT5. As much as i loved the extra immersion you get from using a wheel and the fact i was much quicker, i never had a proper set-up for it, i just used a cheap fold-up table and sat on my sofa. So once i grew tired of GT5, the wheel ended up gathering dust down in my utility room until i lost it in a house fire and it never got replaced. GT6 came and went without me buying or playing it, but GTS offered features i was more interested in so was eventually bought.

Without a wheel i don't feel i'm getting the most out of the game, where as earlier versions were just as controllable with a controller, which means i play it less. But because of this i don't feel i can justify forking out for a wheel or have reasonable space for all the gubbings - stand, seat etc that i feel i'd need to make a wheel purchase justified. So i end up playing the game less, which means buying a wheel doesn't make sense. It's a vicious circle.

Sure is your PSN the one listed?
Cool, you accepted. Moving to PS4 DMs.

Here are my stats too (yesterday got my 91 wins trophy. Only level 50 left)
IMG_20180927_155116.jpg

Yes, my Kudosprime are bloody bad.. I can't stay high for a long time..

My solution is, I bought a new 4K HDR tv when the old 1080p tv started to show weird pixelation. Then I put the old tv on the floor under the window next to the new tv. That's what I mainly play GTS on now (the pixelation pattern doesn't bother me when racing) while my wife and I watch tv (and she chats/browses/plays on the IPhone)

I have a dedicated home theater in the basement where I used to play all my games. This solution works better than disappearing downstairs all the time.

Nah that's never gonna fly, two TV's will ruin the entire look of the family room.

I've tried wheels and I don't really like them. I also don't even like using the analog sticks with GT and opt for the d-pad with the X and O buttons.

Plus, they're absurdly expensive in my opinion.

@zzz_pt, playing with a controller can be a pain. I'm on the same side as you, trying to even get my TT lower and lower and pushing to the limits.
My left thumb hurts some tines from hard steering.

Now multiply that pain by 10, in your knees, ankles, shoulders, arms, wrists, etc. :)

Cool, you accepted. Moving to PS4 DMs.

Here are my stats too (yesterday got my 91 wins trophy. Only level 50 left)
View attachment 769049
Yes, my Kudosprime are bloody bad.. I can't stay high for a long time..

What app is that? I like some of that data (laps leading and top5 finishes).

Back