Why haven't you gotten a wheel yet?

• Thread starter 6nin36
  • 346 comments
Since getting my T150 I don't want to go back to pad.

I'm lucky that my spare room is my man cave so I have a permanent setup (be it a desk and rocker gaming chair).

It's only worth buying a wheel if you intend on spending a lot of time on driving games. I play drivers and shooters pretty much exclusively and tend to pick a title and stick with it for a year or two.

It surprises me that some say they are faster with the pad, or equal at least.

And some mention that its just a game. Yes of course it is, but let me tell a little anectode.

3 weeks ago at a sunday we have been as employees of our company on a driving- safety training event. The task was driving a little course with 2 slalom sections, afterwards several braking, braking & steering and different manouvers at a wet underground.

We were 13 people. I was in every task with a major gap the way fastest and safest, I did not even taped a single cone. The teacher was heavy impressed.

Why? Because I saw immediately the driving line to take and was used to brake and steer manouvers.

So thats why a sim game driving with a wheel is not limited to beeing only a game from my point of view.

I want to write "Wife." but it isn't her, it's me -- something about "priorities", blah, blah, blah.

Also, my greatest driving (and cycling!) pleasure is a well executed manual shift (on the bicycle both with STIs, but especially with stepless barcons....), which in previous wheel/chair experiences I have never gotten that feeling/satisfaction.

Wheelers.jpg

Last edited:
At first I had a T300 Alcantara setup including the TH8A shifter all mounted on a PlaySeat Challenge. Then the damn wheel broke down but fortunately I got a full refund for that. That's the moment I upgraded to Fanatec CSL Elite with loadcell brake. Oh, and I also sold the PlaySeat and the Logitech shifter (for GT Sport we don't need a stick shifter anyway) and upgraded to the Rseat RS1.

Yes it takes up space. Luckily the wife thinks the Rseat (white frame, black seat) with the Fanatec gear looks like some sort of art piece. And when I want to race I just slide the seat in front of the TV.

The thing is, I have zero regrets, a hole in my wallet but lots of fun. Every-single-time. Just buy a wheel, any wheel will do for Pete's sake and enjoy.

Its the absolute best thing i bought in years. i own a T300 for 3 years now and there's nothing that beats the fun and immersion from a FFB wheel in combination with a playseat and PC1- PC2 and Dirt Rally. Be carefull though! it is very addicitve. and before you know u have spent another 100 on a new rim, another 100 for new pedals and another a 150 on a shifter.. then the buttonboxes come.. i guess i will never be done now..

Last edited:
If you are more than casual GT, get the wheel! I ran the controller since GT1 and picked up a G29 this year. The adjustment was very tough and I was way slower for months, I wanted to go back to what was comfortable. Now, I’ll never go back. Don’t expect to be way faster, do expect the experience to be much more involved, challenging, realistic, and ultimately exciting.

Should have a counter argument. Why do I need a wheel?

Well, for me, the big thing with a wheel is mainly immersion (like PSVR :D ). I remember when I first used the wheel, the first track, the first overtake, it is something wonderfull to feel with a FFB wheel :)

Space was really my biggest concern by far, I made a custom solution to modify my TV desk with a removable woodboard.

It takes me 2 minutes to install or remove, otherwise the wheel is stored in the closet

yKNWe6e.png

During the build of the custom woodboard system (female part), thanks IKEA :D :

RoNTF3F.png

Well, for me, the big thing with a wheel is mainly immersion (like PSVR :D ). I remember when I first used the wheel, the first track, the first overtake, it is something wonderfull to feel with a FFB wheel :)

Space was really my biggest concern by far, I made a custom solution to modify my TV desk with a removable woodboard.

It takes me 2 minutes to install or remove, otherwise the wheel is stored in the closet

During the build of the custom woodboard system (female part), thanks IKEA :D :

Where there's a will, there's a way.👍

I don't work any more and had to save for 6 months to buy my set up. It would have been 4 months but the freezer died and I had to start again.🤬

I'm starting to put money away for a Fanatec or T-GT wheel now and by this time next year, I should have one. Fate permitting... I'm keeping a close eye on the white goods.:lol:

I had a wheel years ago during GT5, and just didn't care for it. Plus I like the convenience of a controller. You can't kick back in a recliner, with a wheel. :D

I have the budget ($1k+) and a dedicated room in my basement for the perfect rig, it would be neat, clean, hidden wires etc and i am sure fantastic to use.

However it would mean 3 to 4 nights per week buring in the basement and not with the mrs as we relax after putting kids to bed. So the compromise is i use a controller and she watches her soaps on a tablet so we can be in the same room.

it does work to some degree as we can discuss family matters but she's still not happy watching soaps on the smaller screen and lately has been using a tv in another room ... at which point .. i'd prefer to just get the rig.

Single men, be warned, choose wisely. Very wisely.

I have the budget ($1k+) and a dedicated room in my basement for the perfect rig, it would be neat, clean, hidden wires etc and i am sure fantastic to use.

However it would mean 3 to 4 nights per week buring in the basement and not with the mrs as we relax after putting kids to bed. So the compromise is i use a controller and she watches her soaps on a tablet so we can be in the same room.

it does work to some degree as we can discuss family matters but she's still not happy watching soaps on the smaller screen and lately has been using a tv in another room ... at which point .. i'd prefer to just get the rig.

You just described the reason why I sold my PSVR. I have the racing rig in the living room but my family situation is quite similar to yours. With PSVR it was like I wasn't there (duh). It kinda sucks because I'm really into VR but using it means no more communication with your direct environment/family.

For the same reason that I don't bother upgrading my cell phone constantly, like so many others do. I can get by just fine with the controller. Plus, like @MMX said, I can relax on the couch with the controller.

T150 Pro with playseat challenge... The best thing I've done! Pure driving joy experience in GTS, Dirt, F1, assetto, projects...

After the gaming session, I fold up the playseat, goes to the closet and done... And my wife is happy also with this system :lol:
Ideal for people that don't have a lot of space!

IMG_20180614_141840.jpg
IMG_20180614_142854.jpg

Next step is the Thrustmaster TH8A Shifter, and that will be very soon..

You just described the reason why I sold my PSVR. I have the racing rig in the living room but my family situation is quite similar to yours. With PSVR it was like I wasn't there (duh). It kinda sucks because I'm really into VR but using it means no more communication with your direct environment/family.

'Tis a delicate balance. To make matters worse i simply CANNOT use the sticks on the controller so yeah, old school X and box and D-pad ... so i REALLY want a wheel.

I have no issue with the compromise but if she is going to go upstairs anyway .. i may as well be in the basement.

MMX
I had a wheel years ago during GT5, and just didn't care for it. Plus I like the convenience of a controller. You can't kick back in a recliner, with a wheel. :D

Same. Still have my trusty G25 at moms house. Which reminds me.. I have to find the powercord. I forget every time I visit her. Giving it to @Mires, if you still want it, that is?

It surprises me that some say they are faster with the pad, or equal at least.

And some mention that its just a game. Yes of course it is, but let me tell a little anectode.

3 weeks ago at a sunday we have been as employees of our company on a driving- safety training event. The task was driving a little course with 2 slalom sections, afterwards several braking, braking & steering and different manouvers at a wet underground.

We were 13 people. I was in every task with a major gap the way fastest and safest, I did not even taped a single cone. The teacher was heavy impressed.

Why? Because I saw immediately the driving line to take and was used to brake and steer manouvers.

So thats why a sim game driving with a wheel is not limited to beeing only a game from my point of view.

I second this viewpoint and would like to share an anecdote of my own.

I was on the freeway in my Mazdaspeed Miata and needed to lane change to my right. Halfway into the lane, a second car does not see me and merges left into the same lane. I had to steer sharply to my left to avoid an accident. However, upon doing so, my rear tires lose traction. My experience in GTSport using a wheel, gave me the knowledge and muscle memory to naturally do what was necessary to regain control of my car. My reaction was automatic, I was off the throttle, counter-steered, and straightened out my wheel as soon as traction was regained. I am 100% certain that if I did not have the experience and knowledge gained from GTSport I would have been in a major accident.

Using a wheel can give you skills that are applicable to real life situations, that you simply don't get with a controller.

This!

To be fair i think for most people its the price thats the biggest issue. and i can get that.. its like an extra console your buying.. but for me worth every penny.
It may make the experience double the price, but you get more than double the fun.
PSVR makes the experience 50x better and just for the price of another console.

I reckon I could fit my rig in the cupboard under the stairs and just use psvr without a tv. Or I could insulate an area above the loft hatch to fit in. I certainly would never give up my wheel.
I’ve seen a guy with a motion rig in a garden shed!

Space is an excuse, not an issue

You only get one life, you can have several wives if need be! Now go buy a wheel [and psvr, as you would need to be crazy to have a wheel and not have psvr!]

Single men are single for a good reason :cheers:

Same. Still have my trusty G25 at moms house. Which reminds me.. I have to find the powercord. I forget every time I visit her. Giving it to @Mires, if you still want it, that is?
I'm still interested, so we can discuss further details in here as my PSN app still doesn't want to work as it should. Maybe we need to make new group chat ^^

PS: to the topic, why I still use controller is simply because all wheels seem to be a bit expensive for me and the motion controlling setup suits me reasonably well to this date.

I'm still interested, so we can discuss further details in here as my PSN app still doesn't want to work as it should. Maybe we need to make new group chat ^^

PS: to the topic, why I still use controller is simply because all wheels seem to be a bit expensive for me and the motion controlling setup suits me reasonably well to this date.
Yeah, no worries! I've recently gotten WhatsApp so maybe that works well too, if you've got that. Rest of this discussion is PM material. Just wanted to put it up here, I still haven't forgotten, I just forget everytime I visit my mom. (The irony :lol:)

T150 Pro with playseat challenge... The best thing I've done! Pure driving joy experience in GTS, Dirt, F1, assetto, projects...

After the gaming session, I fold up the playseat, goes to the closet and done... And my wife is happy also with this system :lol:
Ideal for people that don't have a lot of space!

View attachment 768746 View attachment 768747

Next step is the Thrustmaster TH8A Shifter, and that will be very soon..

Almost my exact rig (bigger TV and sit closer!). Anyone using the 'no room' excuse, problem solved. Folds away when done.

The money excuse? $500, total for wheel/pedals and seat. Seems like a lot. But new games are $40 or more. You'll get probably 5+ years of service from it (my DFGT went 8 before it was obsolete) that's $100 a year or way less if you can go 8+ years with it. Or, 2 games a year and some DLC. Who doesn't cough that up each year? Think long term, kids!

Lastly, it would be fun to see how many of the people content with a pad and the couch actually drive. Or are actually motorsports fans. The wheel makes a huge difference there, plus opens you up for more hardcore racing sims like PC2 and AC, where, trust me, you aren't going to like the pad control (GT is far easier on a pad than realistic handling sims)!

Back