Why haven't you gotten a wheel yet?

• Thread starter 6nin36
  • 346 comments
Those that try a wheel and return to the pad because they are faster on pad (or easier to control) are basically admitting that, once you put the control of the car in the hands of the player, not some background smoothing routine designed to give bad drivers the impression that they are driving well, they simply lack ability. That may be controversial, but I believe it to be true.

Place yourself in situations where less than perfect wheel driving cannot recover from but the console can rescue you and your extreme joystick motions, you can often get the impression that wheel driving is harder. It is. It should be! But if you want to know for certain that you made that time, avoided that crash, recovered from that slide, you can't continue with a pad. You aren't driving... The console is!

It may be this that gives other games like AC and PC2 such a bad reputation with pad users. Start to play with physics that doesn't hold your hand so much, doesn't baby you when you get out of shape, doesn't drive the car for you when facing inputs from tiny joysticks jerking around like no wheel ever could, and you can easily get the impression it is the game that is at fault.

Those that try a wheel and return to the pad because they are faster on pad (or easier to control) are basically admitting that, once you put the control of the car in the hands of the player, not some background smoothing routine designed to give bad drivers the impression that they are driving well, they simply lack ability. That may be controversial, but I believe it to be true.

Place yourself in situations where less than perfect wheel driving cannot recover from but the console can rescue you and your extreme joystick motions, you can often get the impression that wheel driving is harder. It is. It should be! But if you want to know for certain that you made that time, avoided that crash, recovered from that slide, you can't continue with a pad. You aren't driving... The console is!

It may be this that gives other games like AC and PC2 such a bad reputation with pad users. Start to play with physics that doesn't hold your hand so much, doesn't baby you when you get out of shape, doesn't drive the car for you when facing inputs from tiny joysticks jerking around like no wheel ever could, and you can easily get the impression it is the game that is at fault.

With all due respect I think that's nonsense. If it exists at all how do you know that this "background smoothing routine" isn't active when using a wheel? Where's the evidence for that?

Where's the evidence for that?

In all my crashes in the first few days of wheel usage. I barely ever crashed with the pad but that all changed with the wheel...

I don't think there's any wheel smoothing going on but saying that, there's CSA programmed into the game as an option. A big difference (in feel) between off and strong but it feels like it's all me with the steering inputs with it turned off. Stands to reason as the wheel has more bit depth (for more precise inputs) compared to the pad.

With all due respect I think that's nonsense. If it exists at all how do you know that this "background smoothing routine" isn't active when using a wheel? Where's the evidence for that?

Tend to agree with Zorro.

I use both wheel and pad regularly,

When using the controller well there is no difference at all in my lap times.

If anything I find the wheel to be more forgiving, maybe it's just more natural to correct. But a 'bad' wheel lap is significantly closer to an average lap than what I get if I mess up a controller lap.

The guys who can do longer races on a controller and can still compete with wheel users blow my mind, their levels of concentration and accuracy must be crazy.

My fingers cramp just thinking about an hr of Suzuka on a controller.

I get absolutely no indication that the controller users are being helped out by the game beyond anything that wheel users are experiencing.

1. I'm simply used to a controller because that's what I've been using for so many years.
2. I could afford a wheel but I just don't want one that badly.
3. I don't know where to put one. A couch and a wheeled coffee table just doesn't strike me as a practical or comfortable arrangement to have a wheel on.

I'm not completely adverse to actually getting a wheel but it's not a worthwhile investment for me.

Waited months for a price drop. Ordered one last Thursday. Next morning Canada Post stops delivering. Now I'm told the arrival date is Dec.5th. What luck. :indiff:

You can't actually move a wheel fast enough for background smoothing to kick in. Lock to lock on a stick is an inch or less of motion. A matter of a fraction of a second. Lock to lock on a wheel is three complete turns. With all due respect, I don't think you have thought this through.

We found out shortly after launch that (mostly FF) cars were much faster through hairpins, such as Suzuka's, with a pad compared to a wheel. There is documented evidence that the Pad had "aids" if you will. PD has clearly ironed these advantages out, but it's abundantly clear there are some things going on behind the scenes in regards to DS4 inputs that simply don't exist on the wheel.

I want to say for the record I don't think using a Pad is advantageous at all.

i think there are certainly some control smoothing interventions built into the Ds4 in gt sport. what it does for me is allow control with the ds4 to feel a bit like driving a car. it's not a "cheat." i drove with a ff wheel for many years and loved it. It felt more realistic, but it was in some ways more difficult and in others easier. Now though, it's ds4 only for me. just a convenience thing.

there's no reason at all a controller couldn't be used to drive a real car. with practice you would get the hang of it. and the same smoothing interventions could be applied as well. Hell, an F16 wouldn't even fly without computer assistance...

Give us your feedback. Enjoy it!
I found out that it's just not gonna really work until I can get it anchored to something solid. I messed around with it a little, yesterday. I think maybe I need to turn off the CSA because the wheel was moving when I didn't want it to. I assume that's the reason.

I found out that it's just not gonna really work until I can get it anchored to something solid. I messed around with it a little, yesterday. I think maybe I need to turn off the CSA because the wheel was moving when I didn't want it to. I assume that's the reason.
CSA doesn’t make the wheel move.

Yes. When I make turns, even slight ones, it's shaking and moving. I don't like that feeling, but is that what it's designed to do?
Thats what it’s supposed to do yes, its giving you feedback of what the wheels are doing/hitting. If you find it to much turn down the frequency you will get used to it but turning everything down to 1 is the least of everything you’ll get with a wheel.

Yes. When I make turns, even slight ones, it's shaking and moving. I don't like that feeling, but is that what it's designed to do?
Have you driven a car before? The whole point of a ffb wheel is to provide feedback, like you get in a car.

Last edited:
You can't actually move a wheel fast enough for background smoothing to kick in. Lock to lock on a stick is an inch or less of motion. A matter of a fraction of a second. Lock to lock on a wheel is three complete turns.

This.

There is definitely some kind of smoothing routine going on behind the scenes when using the ds4. Similar to the normal steering setting in the FM games with the Xbox controller. There is nothing like this on a wheel, using one does not automatically make everything easier despite what some people say.

Last edited:
It’s been a long time since I’ve used a DS in a racing title. The only game I drive with the DS is GTA or some other game that forces me to, but I swear I’m faster lounging on my sofa using the DS in chase cam than cockpit/bumper with a wheel on my rig. No doubt. I’m not as precise, but there’s no beating the small input movements the DS will allow. I will never go back just for the added speed.

Controversial.... more like provoking just to see what a narrow minded view can bring up?

OR!
Those that try a wheel and return to the pad because they are faster on a pad they have used for 20+ years admit that they simply do not have the time (or space?) to give up in the name of speed.

In my mind there is absolutely no doubt that i can be faster with a wheel, it is SO MUCH EASIER to correct mid corner, it feels like cheating compared to the Controller that requires absolute precision when you commit to a corner. And when you correct with the controller it requires the tiniest of input that makes a brain surgeon look like a lumberjack.

The reality is that my wheel takes up to much space so there is no way i can have it up permanently and that makes it hard/impossible to get the needed hours behind. When i do i have so much fun on the nordschleife, it feels natural and hard corners on the controller are suddenly easy. But it will take me a loooong time to catch up with 20+ years experience on the controller, not to mention the countless hours i have spent learning the tracks with the controller.

20+ years on a pad... How many years driving? Any?

If you are faster on a pad and went back to it rather than master the wheel, for God's sake stay away from me when you are out driving!

20+ years on a pad... How many years driving? Any?

If you are faster on a pad and went back to it rather than master the wheel, for God's sake stay away from me when you are out driving!

I've been using a pad since my Sega Master System and I've been driving real cars, vans, buses & lorries for 38 years. What's your point?

For those of you on DS4, any reason for not getting a wheel apart from cost?

I did not realize how you can play a racing game with a comptroller, I mean when you play racing game you drift,use gears. In your opinion, why in Gran turismo championship drivers use wheel and not comptroller?

I'd like to say I, once upon a time was quick on a pad. Over GT5/GT6 (what I did play of 6), I seemed to win most online races. During GT5, I was heavily involved in the drifting side of it and the Hybrids. I got a wheel after a year or so of it being released and I was so bad. I'd been driving all sorts of cars for 3/4 years at the time so I thought it would be simple.

I quickly learned that with time I could get to where I wanted to be. It is frustrating and yes you do want to go back to the pad but the sense of achievement when you win that first hard race or catch that drift and keep it on track, it's a whole different feeling of accomplishment.

As for this Background smoothing mallarky. You have very small input to whip the car full lock to full lock, you don't need to worry about your feet, you don't need to spin a wheel so of course it's going to be a more appealing option. But as usual, you always get the wheel supremacists who just can't help but whine about the pad users. Accept some people just don't have the co-ordination/time/space and let it be.

Back