Why Kaz needs to go...

Do you think Kaz should retire from GT?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think we need to fire Kaz, what he needs is simply open his ears and listen ot us!

That is probably it in a nut shell there priorities are all wrong, correct stars at night are pointless for example when there are still major issues.

Moving the game forward is easy we have in game notifications so do a poll, tick your biggest issue & the next 5 most important sort of thing.
Work on them & do another one.
They could then ask separately what we think would improve the game, for the next one.

If they want my money next time before it reaches the bargain bins they need to make this a racing game again rather than a great handling model but little else works.
6 games in & its still the same format with minor tweaks & few things moved forward, heck most of the race series are identical to GT5, same cars using exactly the same set of tracks, GT500 to name but one.
Things are missing or broken that they patched in the previous game!!!
How does that work?

Kaz is a decent game director, but what he can do with making a console driving sim like GT, other game companies can do much better (with Project CARS and Forza for example) without him.

Kaz and PD primarily have a bad sense of direction of how to fine-tune and perfect the game: they're fixing what doesn't need fixing (such as car graphics, physics, and unnecessary accuracies like star constellations) and ignoring and also apparently making worse in the process what has needed fixing since GT5 (sounds, features, lighting, online play, and other major bugs). That's why I personally think GT can be better off without him.

On a slightly related note: I'm currently studying Lean Six Sigma (LSS) improvement policies, and for those of you who basically know what that is, PD could sure use some right about now.

I wouldn't say Kaz should retire. I just think that he needs someone who can get him more into car culture and more into different kinds of racing. By more into car culture I mean allowing us to recreate different kinds of cars. Let us stance cars by giving us offset adjustments and body flares/ wider body panels, give us drag racing by giving us drag compounds and wider tire widths and drag mode, give us drifting (better represented at least) by giving us the option to make cars that look even more like drift cars and actual drift races. Give us sponsor stickers and REAL body modifications. Swaps even. It's mostly little things that GT needs that would set it apart. If we could stance cars (which not even Forza can do) GT would be hugeeee for tons of people. I mean look at what we could do in GT5 with hacking the saves. How hard can it be to add that stuff when me, a 16 year old with no coding experience prior to GT5 hacking, was able to do it in under 3 minutes. (minus designing the menus and such.)

"The cold war in GTplanet is boiling, and no one can stop it" - said by someone (with Morgan Freeman's voice)

I've said this before but Kaz is well out of his depth when it comes to game design. His involvement and leadership of GT in terms of the physics and general direction of the brand, such as relationships with manufacturers, including all the projects over the years like Vision GT, is fantastic. But strictly speaking game design? He's like an old man trying to play with todlers. Well, well out of his depth. He doesn't know what people want anymore.

How many missing features will continuously be ignored? How many times are we going to get the same game? GT needs a breath of fresh air in game design -- which is after all the most important part. I think Vision GT is a great program but let's not lose track of what Gran Turismo is -- it's a videogame series. If it's a strong brand and not a strong videogame, it's completely missing its mark. I'm not saying we should change from one to the other, but we should be able to have both.

Gran Turismo has been developing into a stronger brand and a bigger part of the automotive world every year, but at the same time it's also becoming a worse and worse videogame. Just look at review scores of GT1-6. It's time for a change.

Actually there's no point to your reply. Did you read the thread title before you came in?
So, in order to participate, we have to agree that Kaz needs to go? ;)

:lol: Have you ever even experienced another gaming community? If you think this is bad, I'm going to go with "No".
Like what community? Any Microsoft forum? ;)

I'm going with "hostile environment" myself. A few of my friends haven't been seen here since before GT6 launched, because they knew what was coming. I like to participate with the nicer folk here, which JohnnyP and cassius probably lump in with the irrational fanatics, which is why I toughed it out.

But when a bunch of people swarm a board and continually harp on a game as if nothing works right on it, I think a unfortunate boundary has been crossed which is toxic for the community.

I'd never thought that one of the hardcore Gran Turismo enthusiasts would get so angred to the point where they would debate in getting Kaz from losing his job. It's threads like this that make me feel like the only person on earth to actually like the game. Oh god.

Gee, maybe because when we caterwauled about wanting damage, the team tried to make something work. When the fans cringed at the result, they mostly scrapped it. But they gave it a shot.

When the fans howled that the car sounds weren't good at all, the sound team updated the sounds, sometimes amazingly.

When the fans griped about the lackluster bot A.I., suddenly the bots got smarter.

When the fans lamented a much loved Race Mod system, the team cobbled something up. It was pretty meager, just a few cars, with pretty sad livery templates, but it was there.

When the fans insisted on time of day transitions and weather...

Seriously, what game are you playing? Or maybe I should ask, how long have you been playing Gran Turismo?

Kaz really is one of the best things to happen to racing games. I will admit that his experiment with GT5 was a mixed bag, and several things irked us. But at the same time, this game, which some critics here said was the worst racing game ever, sold more than 10 million copies. And it continues to sell because there is no other game like Gran Turismo, and because there is no developer like Kaz and his team.

GT6 was rushed out the door to capitalize on the PS3 install base, Christmas sales, and the 15th Anniversary (plus) of the Gran Turismo franchise. From description of intended updates, it seems almost like half the game has yet to be built. And now, with indications that GT7/Prologue may be in the works, much of it might not be. Instead, the team might be focusing on that next gen experience. I won't cry about it. Like Earth, I wanted GT6 to be made for the PS4 to start with, so I'm happy whatever we get. If GT6 gets its updates, awesome. If GT7 Prologue gets made, or GT7 itself, fantastic.

When the full blown GT7 finally gets made, it's going to be a good racer because Kaz will be at the helm of a very talented team.

By the way, endurance racing isn't everyone's cup of tea. Some of us haven't touched them because we don't have the time or patience to sit down for two and a half hours to race even GT2's enduros, never mind 24 real hours.

But what if GT7 is released with the same engine recordings as 5 & 6?

wouldnt that be like a slap to our face?

I'd never thought that one of the hardcore Gran Turismo enthusiasts would get so angred to the point where they would debate in getting Kaz from losing his job. It's threads like this that make me feel like the only person on earth to actually like the game. Oh god.

This debate has gone on at least since GT3 days. Maybe even earlier. Don't let it get to you. ;)

Since those first two paragraphs had absolutely nothing relating to what I said, I assume it's just the same copy/pasted "here are my thoughts on GT5" speech for the hundredth time.

And blaming us GT lovers for Gran Turismo just not being good enough is misplaced.

Indeed it would be misplaced, if that's what I had said. I said it'll continue to sell well if fans will willingly accept an incomplete game (read: cash grab) on the backs of the ever-present promise that "the next game will fix things". That's like buying a car missing half of its features, and thanking the company for giving you the chance to drive it, even promising to buy the next car they'll give you because you're just so gosh-darn sure they'll get it right that time.

There is some clear picking and choosing of factors to address in a game so large

Heh, quite.

Standards were improved.

Some. The vast majority weren't.

Sounds were improved.

Changed =/= improved. The modern Lambos all still share the same basic sample, right?

Bot A.I. was improved.

Changed =/= improved. AI that slows down extensively to ensure I don't lose isn't progress in my book.

it's hard to remember all the stuff we're anticipating.

Heh. Think about that sentence for a minute. It's hard to even keep track of all the features that we've been promised that aren't even in the game, that don't even have a set time line for inclusion. Progress?

Slip, you know this is offensive to all those who love the franchise, correct? Especially coming from a mod like yourself. Just because others loves GT, doesn't mean their the problem of why GT is what it is today, and why it sells well. The same thing can be said to any franchise. ANY.

If you consider the idea that a complacent fanbase breeds an equally complacent company producing the product as offensive, I don't know what to tell you. Complacency gave us the modern Corolla and Civic - bought in vast amounts every year in North America despite being regularly reviewed as two of the worst cars in the class. But they sell on name alone, and especially in the case of the Corolla, Toyota doesn't bother to update it in any significant way to match its competitors in many key areas. Sound familiar?

Competition breeds excellence, so it's downright sad to hear PD state that they don't even look at the competition. Though that could be because, in certain areas, the competition is already so far down the track...

Wait GT3? I thought it was loved by Gran Turismo fans back then. Good to know I guess.

That's not to say GT3 wasn't/isn't loved. Like anywhere, the moods change with the times. There's always somebody trying to fire Kaz though, lol.

Firing Kaz is only gonna make things more hectic. He's got the passion and he's got the drive to meet his vision of the perfect GT game. I feel like if he were replaced, it'd just be some moron who'd make the GT franchise another Forza-y "give me money cuz we suck" franchise. I don't blame Kaz for the sloppiness of GT6, I just think this is one of the many examples of the modern video game world. If something's unfinished or broken, then developers can just promise it'll be fixed, or in some cases (Forza) charge extra for it. At least PD is giving us all these things for free, at least that's what they claim but they've always been rather good about paid DLC. Compared to the PS2 era and before it, when you made the game, that was what you had and there was nothing you could do repair it after release. That showed in the earlier GT games, when you can simply tell they busted their asses making the best game they could and they took their sweet time.

Now though they like many other companies are just rushing things to get them released sooner and then giving us promises of what we were told would have on release day. I don't think Kaz and PD need extra guidance or anything, I just think they need to shift priorities on improving 6 instead of worrying about 7.

And for what it's worth, I think GT3 is still the best of the franchise and it beats 4's pompous face in =)

I believe kaz has become more of a photomode/colector fan instead of the real racing aspect. He has to put tracks and driveable cars just because it started that way. Now he has deep pockets, a real car colection, and his racing is done irl.
Its a bit like coldplay... They were depressed/sad and poor, made some great(for those who like them) songs. Now they are rich and all they can come up is songs like paradise, they can't even pretend to be depressed anymore.... Sony should freeze all kaz assets until he delivers, if they did that he would invent even time travel to deliver it to us yesterday.

But what if GT7 is released with the same engine recordings as 5 & 6?

wouldnt that be like a slap to our face?
A-hem. ;)

according to many of you, nothing ever changed.
It's disappointing when little time passes and my remarks get validated...

Look, there are plenty of YouTube examples of the sound improvements WITHIN GT5 itself, from Spec 1 to Spec 2. GT6 saw further improvements. Now having noted that, I may dismay a few people here when I state that GT7 may well have legacy car sounds from GT6. All those horrible pencil sharpener sounds you guys dislike may be there. Then again, street cars are solidly muffled to make them comply with overreaching government sound regulations. Memo to Forza 4 fans: those unmodified sports car sounds aren't accurate. Street cars by and large really do sound like leaf blowers. You guys may now weep.

Still, I've only stated a number of times that I want Gran Turismo to be improved all up and down, including sounds. But if it isn't in certain areas, it's not the end of the world to me. Especially since I can recognize fantastic improvements that really are in the game which make it the best ever in each incarnation. And yes, to me, but I'm not about to run around here asking people what I should and shouldn't like. Sounds kind of stupid, really.

Since those first two paragraphs had absolutely nothing relating to what I said, I assume it's just the same copy/pasted "here are my thoughts on GT5" speech for the hundredth time.
True, pearls before swine...

(GT6 will) continue to sell well if fans will willingly accept an incomplete game (read: cash grab) on the backs of the ever-present promise that "the next game will fix things". That's like buying a car missing half of its features, and thanking the company for giving you the chance to drive it, even promising to buy the next car they'll give you because you're just so gosh-darn sure they'll get it right that time.
You're right, nothing has ever been improved in a Gran Turismo game...

Some (Standards were improved). The vast majority weren't.
Gee, I hadn't noticed! Thanks for telling me. ;)

Changed =/= improved. The modern Lambos all still share the same basic sample, right?
Gee, I hadn't noticed! Thanks for telling me. ;)

Changed =/= improved. AI that slows down extensively to ensure I don't lose isn't progress in my book.
Gee, a number of us have lost races to the bots. Quite a few of them, actually. I can share replays sometime if you like...

Heh. Think about that sentence for a minute. It's hard to even keep track of all the features that we've been promised that aren't even in the game, that don't even have a set time line for inclusion. Progress?
Gee, you're right, GT6 is hardly any different from GT1...

Now, I know that this is a sore point with some of us, and I want those goodies too. I'm the guy who makes every salad into a feast. But I'm going to make reference to a door shortly.

If you consider the idea that a complacent fanbase breeds an equally complacent company producing the product as offensive, I don't know what to tell you. Complacency gave us the modern Corolla and Civic - bought in vast amounts every year in North America despite being regularly reviewed as two of the worst cars in the class. But they sell on name alone, and especially in the case of the Corolla, Toyota doesn't bother to update it in any significant way to match its competitors in many key areas. Sound familiar?

Competition breeds excellence, so it's downright sad to hear PD state that they don't even look at the competition. Though that could be because, in certain areas, the competition is already so far down the track...
Well, if Gran Turismo is so offensive to you, there is this little thing known as a door...

And once again, it's kind of sad that even a moderator carries on as if nothing ever changes in Gran Turismo land. Nothing ever improves, nothing is ever fixed, just a sad, sad game played by sad, sad people who can't bring themselves to let go of it because of nostalgia or whatever, with polls that reflect our sad, sad lack of intelligence. I mean, obviously no one with a working brain would DARE like Gran Turismo with all those farting lobster sounds and car models that come from 1800s technology.

Or, maybe, just maybe, you're completely going overboard, and we really do have reasons to like this game, and the company making it, and the visionary president at the helm. And keep playing GT6 while we wait for GT7.

It could actually be true, you could be burning down the forest because you don't like the weeds...

I know its
NA
That's not to say GT3 wasn't/isn't loved. Like anywhere, the moods change with the times. There's always somebody trying to fire Kaz though, lol.
I know its kind of extreme, but when I was enjoying GT3 and GT4, if someone wanted Kaz fired, I would of wanted to crack their head open. lol

True, pearls before swine...

Moving on to veiled insults; always a good sign.

You're right, nothing has ever been improved in a Gran Turismo game...

Please, show me where I said that.

Gee, a number of us have lost races to the bots. Quite a few of them, actually. I can share replays sometime if you like...

No need, daan already has:

Gee, you're right, GT6 is hardly any different from GT1...

Well, if Gran Turismo is so offensive to you

Please, show me where I said that. Telling a member of staff where to go is almost as wise as insulting them...

And once again, it's kind of sad that even a moderator carries on as if nothing ever changes in Gran Turismo land.

Nothing ever improves, nothing is ever fixed, just a sad, sad game played by sad, sad people who can't bring themselves to let go of it because of nostalgia or whatever, with polls that reflect our sad, sad lack of intelligence. I mean, obviously no one with a working brain would DARE like Gran Turismo with all those farting lobster sounds and car models that come from 1800s technology.

Please... oh, you should get the point by now.

Or, maybe, just maybe, you're completely going overboard

Coming from a person that resorts to grossly misreading things and wild hyperbole in an attempt to prove a point, that's rich.

Actually, never mind. Your relationship with Gran Turismo is unfathomable, and I have better ways to waste time than to try and thumbwrestle with you over it.

Last edited:
Well, if I'm so wrong, where is your praise for anything in this game? Just curious because your post history is pretty lean...

That's not how it works; if you want to make claims about what I apparently said, that's up to you to back them up. If it's something I said, it really shouldn't be too hard to find it. If you'd really rather keep fabricating, I'll just remind you of this little line:

AUP
  • You will not knowingly post any material that is false, misleading, or inaccurate.

Kazunori is a great producer bringing in nice stuff like the VGT cars and other features which extends the GT universe. But he seems to have gone past his best days as a game director. Which is really sad since it once was a franchise that not only was on the forefront of simulation, but also had new, exciting features. There's fundametal things, some seemingly small ones, that would make it a better game. Some which he even has acknowledged such as having a better time splits available to the driver but they have gone missing in the latest installment.

That is pathetic.

I first noticed this sort of AI behaviour when I drove an Evo VI at Tsukuba against an R35 GT-R. Not only did the GT-R get a head start (being at the front of the rabbit trail), but it obviously had a performance advantage over me, being that my car was stock. Nevertheless, I managed to win a hollow victory.

GT5 has more competitive racing, no doubt at all. GT6 is going backwards in this area.

@cassiusclay99 It's pretty awesome to be able to draw conclusions about an organization based on the result, rather than the process. I think you could have a bright future as a business consult. Any company would just have to show you a product and you can immediately tell who should be fired and why. That's like magic!

You have no idea how he runs things.

isnt it obvious??

It is not. What's obvious is the product (at least the obvious parts of the product, the actual code and underlying architecture is of course harder to see), not the process behind it.

eran0004.... is this the first gran turismo you have played?? sure seems like it. Ive been with the series since day 1. It should be way better by this stage. Its 2014!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back