Wii U Latest News and Discussion

While, his recent choices were a bit questionable. There is no doubt that this is a tragic lost for Nintendo and its fans :(. As I grew up, if it isn't Gran Turismo, Ratchet and Clank or V8 Supercars Race Driver. I would be playing on my Nintendo Consoles, especially Pokemon and Mario. Most of my handheld games were Pokemon while most of my console games were Mario.

I bid farewell to Mr. Iwata and hope that his mark on Nintendo will keep Nintendo on being as amazing as it is.

Crushed to hear this. Can't remember exactly who wrote in but it was one of the tributes on either Verge or Polygon, but the writer basically said Iwata was the best kind of CEO. He rose through the ranks of the company, starting as a programmer, running HAL and then eventually of course, Nintendo. He cared about his employees and refused to lay anyone off. He took a pay cut when the Wii U and 3DS failed early. He thoroughly loved and believed in what he did, and what Nintendo was. He never lost that childlike enthusiasm for games, and because of that he was tremendously charismatic and a big hit with fans. The world has lost a truly great man, and I'm still shocked over it.

Very sad to hear about the death of Iwata. 55 is quite a young age. :(

But without Iwata, there wouldn't be Nintendo as of now, but I just wish if better times are going to come for Nintendo, especially for the NX...RIP. :(

So I'm a huge fan of 2D platformers, and the Wii U has provided me with a handful of indie platformers that have exceeded my expectations and made me a firm believer in the future for indie games, which I kind of overlooked before.

Maybe that was only natural. Today, Nintendo Enthusiast posted an editorial about the maturation of indie platformers, arguing that until more recently, very few of them could be considered "complete" or fully-realized -- that even "retro" games failed to measure up to the generations of games they nostalgized:
...a lot of indie platformers that were clearly trying to invoke third and fourth-gen nostalgia in their presentation yet had limited gameplay that felt more like an extension of second-generation [console] platformers.

What do I define as second-generation platformer gameplay? A simplicity and repetitiveness in the combat and level design is my main criteria. Short levels that use the same graphics and assets for large portions of the game, enemies that you can’t directly attack, a lack of boss battles, a pasted on feel for obstacles and platforms in levels instead of complex and varied terrain...I remained cynical towards independent platformers and felt the genre was being done a disservice by claims that they were the future of the genre.
On the whole, I agree with this.

The author goes on to point out a "dramatic upswing" in quality platformers that truly feel like the third- or fourth-generation platformers that he (and I) grew up playing. My first experience with this was Shovel Knight, which blew me away when I gave it a try last year. The author names it as an example, along with Guacamelee!: STCE and Shantae and the Pirate's Curse, which are two other games I've enjoyed this summer.

Freedom Planet is due on the eShop in two weeks, and there will be more to follow it (including the "indie" creations on Super Mario Maker this fall). Does anyone else feel like the glory days of 2D games are returning? I figure I haven't been this happy with a console since the SNES -- maybe because these games offer experiences like the SNES, and with modern twists. They're totally on my wavelength. :)

So I'm a huge fan of 2D platformers, and the Wii U has provided me with a handful of indie platformers that have exceeded my expectations and made me a firm believer in the future for indie games, which I kind of overlooked before.

Maybe that was only natural. Today, Nintendo Enthusiast posted an editorial about the maturation of indie platformers, arguing that until more recently, very few of them could be considered "complete" or fully-realized -- that even "retro" games failed to measure up to the generations of games they nostalgized:

On the whole, I agree with this.

The author goes on to point out a "dramatic upswing" in quality platformers that truly feel like the third- or fourth-generation platformers that he (and I) grew up playing. My first experience with this was Shovel Knight, which blew me away when I gave it a try last year. The author names it as an example, along with Guacamelee!: STCE and Shantae and the Pirate's Curse, which are two other games I've enjoyed this summer.

Freedom Planet is due on the eShop in two weeks, and there will be more to follow it (including the "indie" creations on Super Mario Maker this fall). Does anyone else feel like the glory days of 2D games are returning? I figure I haven't been this happy with a console since the SNES -- maybe because these games offer experiences like the SNES, and with modern twists. They're totally on my wavelength. :)
Perhaps, which I'm kinda glad but also kinda sad. I love both 2D and 3D but we never get a true balance of both. When 2D Platforming came back with the likes of NSMB, 3D Platformers started to get more linear and become a lot like a 2D Game. Of coarse they are still amazing, but it feels a little odd.

Perhaps, which I'm kinda glad but also kinda sad. I love both 2D and 3D but we never get a true balance of both. When 2D Platforming came back with the likes of NSMB, 3D Platformers started to get more linear and become a lot like a 2D Game. Of coarse they are still amazing, but it feels a little odd.
I certainly agree in the case of Super Mario 3D World. It's a great game, but a step backwards from Super Mario Galaxy, which is arguably kind of linear itself. It would have been better if they hadn't implemented the time limit. And personally, NSMBU is the only NSMB game so far that has seemed genuinely inspired to me, but that series may be responsible for helping to revive the genre.

I would have loved an HD followup to Super Mario Galaxy with more large explorable areas, connected by those delightful smaller planets that allow you to jump into orbit (before the game forcibly pulls you back down), :D but I don't think we'll be getting one this time around.

Big Aug. update brings tons of new content to Splatoon (FREE)
1438016374-splatoon-august-update-1.jpg 1438016373-splatoon-august-update-4.jpg 1438016373-splatoon-august-update-7.jpg 1438016373-splatoon-august-update-9.jpg 1438016372-splatoon-august-update-5.jpg 1438016374-splatoon-august-update-6.jpg

Last edited:
Super Mario Maker looking as darlin' as ever.

Splatoon continues to impress and steal my Wii U playing time.

Good news that you can team up with a friend and still join up with other "twin squads" to play 4v4 matches. I was concerned that the matchmaking would be more limiting than that.

Good news that you can team up with a friend and still join up with other "twin squads" to play 4v4 matches. I was concerned that the matchmaking would be more limiting than that.
Likewise! Tri-squads are a welcome addition too.

Good thing is that Super Mario Maker comes out at the very end of my exams :D.

I'm totally going to make a Mario Adventure on the Holidays and send them online :)

There definitely is. Wife and I are currently making our way through lego batman 3 and lego marvel. Good fun!

So Kirby's Return to Dreamland is apparently coming to the NA eShop, one of three VC games to celebrate Kirby's birthday this weekend, with Kirby 64 and Kirby's Squeak Squad. I didn't know until now that a copy of Return to Dreamland is actually slightly rare and pricey these days.

I highly recommend Return to Dreamland for any Kirby fans here. To me it's one of the very best traditional platformers in the series, and I love playing it with @Mrs Wolfe because it's cool to flit around as Meta Knight. :D

I currently have Yoshi Wooly World in my possession but I will be waiting till Friday to play through it as I can do so with the girlfriend. She loves Yoshi and of course, has a Wii U, but money troubles mean she can't buy it just now. So we'll just tackle it together. :D

The game looks absolutely beautiful in the first level I played. I always find it hilarious when reviewers compare something light-hearted like Yoshi Wooly world on the same scale has something like Tom Clancy's The Division.Mind-blowing.

Oh, also ordered this beauty today:

boxarts-1.jpg
I can't find anywhere to preorder this. The game itself, yes, but not with the amiibo (and possibly the book?). I know we are in different countries...I'm in Canada, and I think you might be in Scotland (my flag reading abilities are sub-par :D), but amazon has only the game itself.
Money has been tight, and I've had to put off getting Splatoon and SSB, but I want this day one after getting myself so pumped for it by watching videos.

I've been playing Metroid Prime 2: Echoes via the Trilogy collection, and enjoying it a hell of a lot more than the first time I played it. I might actually complete it this time, which would leave Metroid II: Return of Samus as the only Metroid game I've never beaten.

Part of it is the sublime controls -- IR aiming + nunchuck FTW -- but I've also changed my habits since the first time around. I never liked the limited ammo for the dark/light beams so I formerly avoided using them, but some of the rooms are such a slog to traverse or clear out that I'm determined to make the most of my arsenal. Then I discovered that while the game advises you to kill enemies with one beam to earn ammo for the other, you can easily refill your ammo by shooting the various canisters instead! With all that ammo, dark space pirates are done in just four light beam shots. Gah. :ouch:

On a related note, playing Xeodrifter has made it clear how much I'd rather play a Metroid-Prime-sized game in that classic 2D style. "Why not Metroid II?" Well, I'm kinda holding out for Another Metroid 2 Remake... :)

Mighty No. 9 (Mega Man spiritual successor) delayed.

Looks awesome. I grew up playing megaman on NES
@Wolfe it's funny you are into the Prime games right now. I only ever owned Echoes, but I'm now playing through the first Prime right now. Almost through it. Then it'll be on to #3. They hold up well

Ridiculous the collection isnt coming out on Wii U because of the Virtual Console.

Back