Wii U Latest News and Discussion

So, Fatal Frame/Project Zero is getting a physical release in Europe and it comes with a steelbook amongst other goodies. I will definently be pre-ordering this once it goes live. Got a feeling it will be really rare though due to Nintendo only releasing a 'limited edition' for retail.

I'm not quite sold on starfox yet. It looks interesting though, and maybe it is just me that isn't sold on it. Xenoblade X is the type of game I never play, but watching it is making me more interested. It may be worth a pickup, but I'll wait until after the reviews. I think I'm (finally) going to get Splatoon this weekend to reward myself for getting some extra work :-D. Maybe I'll catch some of you on one of the arenas ;-)

@Benny44 -- I get the feeling Star Fox Zero won't be terribly meaty in terms of content. I'm okay with it being built to be a retro "arcade" style two-hour (or so) romp across the Lylat system, like the original games -- a game like SF64 is what I've wanted from the series since SF64. But it's a shame that circumstances have pushed Nintendo into an accelerated development period, because it shows. I'm sure I'll still enjoy it. 👍

I don't know anyone who is as excited as I am for XCX, and I can't understand why, personal preferences notwithstanding. :) The sum of its parts expands upon each part in ways I could only dream about. Platforming...in a massive, seamlessly explorable world. Open world RPG gameplay...with customizable mecha-vehicles to ride. Mecha combat...in a big RPG with lots of stuff to do (and downtime to enjoy).

It's a groundbreaking experience for anyone like me who grew up fantasizing about futuristic armored suits, interstellar warships and mecha, and battles fought with both longswords and laser rifles. The self-insert protagonist, customizable classes/abilities, variety of equipment sets, Skell loadouts/painting, and open-ended gameplay just crack it out of the park. :D

@Benny44 -- I get the feeling Star Fox Zero won't be terribly meaty in terms of content. I'm okay with it being built to be a retro "arcade" style two-hour (or so) romp across the Lylat system, like the original games -- a game like SF64 is what I've wanted from the series since SF64. But it's a shame that circumstances have pushed Nintendo into an accelerated development period, because it shows. I'm sure I'll still enjoy it. 👍

I don't know anyone who is as excited as I am for XCX, and I can't understand why, personal preferences notwithstanding. :) The sum of its parts expands upon each part in ways I could only dream about. Platforming...in a massive, seamlessly explorable world. Open world RPG gameplay...with customizable mecha-vehicles to ride. Mecha combat...in a big RPG with lots of stuff to do (and downtime to enjoy).

It's a groundbreaking experience for anyone like me who grew up fantasizing about futuristic armored suits, interstellar warships and mecha, and battles fought with both longswords and laser rifles. The self-insert protagonist, customizable classes/abilities, variety of equipment sets, Skell loadouts/painting, and open-ended gameplay just crack it out of the park. :D
You sound enthused about it :). I think the thing for me is that I don't really care for RPGs. If I made a list of top 50 video games of all time, there would not be an RPG among them. But, I do like exploring (Metroid) and I like the single player instead of an MMORPG style. No man's sky appeals to me (if I had a PS4), and this seems to have some similarities. And I love customisation (I'm the guy who creates complete 50 man teams on Madden from scratch :D).

Also, maybe you've seen this on the eshop already

I need to preorder this now

Last edited:
XCX's combat draws inspiration from MMORPGs, with auto-attacks and skills ("arts") that have a cooldown between each use, but the online elements complement the singleplayer experience rather than it actually being an MMORPG. And yeah, there's customization. :) This four-minute segment of the Dolls/Skells preview was the first thing that hooked me into anticipating the game.

Super Mario Maker has surprised me with how deep and appealing it turned out to be. I was only mildly curious when it was first announced, but now it looks nothing short of a must-have for anyone who enjoys Mario games.

I was the same way with Mario maker. But it has me completely hooked on buying it. The problem I'm having with XCX is that I don't yet have splatoon, ssb, not to mention mario maker and yoshi over the next two months. So it'll be a while before I get XCX

I was hugely excited when it was revealed and ut still hasn't disappointed me. Now I can make my own legit Mario Adventure and send the Levels online :P

I really don't know how any game can top Splatoon in terms of Wii U's definitive title. It just gets more and more fantastic with each minor update. It feels so fresh and out there that everytime you play it you know you are playing something that has never been done before. Mario Kart is great, as is Smash, Bayo, TW101 amongst others and I'm sure XCX, SMM and Starfox Zero will be incredible too. But, from where I sit. Splatoon is Nintendo's gamechanger and if they build upon it in following iterations or follow similar belief in radical ideas we will be entering a new golden era in Nintendo games. As it stands the Wii U is in my top 5 gaming devices of all time...who knows how high it'll be after Super Mario Maker, Fatal Frame, FAST Racing NEO, Starfox Zero, Freedom Planet, XCX and Mario Tennis Ultra. What game drought is this thing supposed to be having? :P

I really don't know how any game can top Splatoon in terms of Wii U's definitive title. It just gets more and more fantastic with each minor update. It feels so fresh and out there that everytime you play it you know you are playing something that has never been done before. Mario Kart is great, as is Smash, Bayo, TW101 amongst others and I'm sure XCX, SMM and Starfox Zero will be incredible too. But, from where I sit. Splatoon is Nintendo's gamechanger and if they build upon it in following iterations or follow similar belief in radical ideas we will be entering a new golden era in Nintendo games. As it stands the Wii U is in my top 5 gaming devices of all time...who knows how high it'll be after Super Mario Maker, Fatal Frame, FAST Racing NEO, Starfox Zero, Freedom Planet, XCX and Mario Tennis Ultra. What game drought is this thing supposed to be having? :P
The ones that are also on other consoles of coarse :P.

I must say the Wii U is a very misunderstood console. It is so filled with gems that people seem to shrug off.

I personally can't be bothered with buying Splatoon, it does looks fresh and interesting and I do think it is doing rather good for the Wii U but I don't see myself playing it over Mario Kart 8 and the eventful Super Mario Maker.

Not sure about you guys but I'm actually a big fan of the M&S Series since I first got the 2010 Winter Games on the DS, I later got the 3DS 2012 Summer Games and on the Wii U, 2014 Winter Games but seeing it on the latest game reveal has gotten me excited with all the Sports and the brand new Characters are looking good, ESPECIALLY NABBIT :D

All I want now is a 3rd Pokemon Orre Game that takes place after XD, it actually had an excellent set up with Ardos actually planning to revive Cipher but we are still yet to see it.

I was talking to @Mrs Wolfe today about those special games that you "live and breathe." You know, those sterling titles you can play day after day, not just to complete it, but maybe for years, and a standby you can fall back on whenever you're taking a break from or have finished some other game. Gran Turismo would be one of those games for a lot of members here, and I used to have Enthusia Professional Racing for that, as well as Forza Horizon after my time on EPR waned.

For @Brend it might be a third person shooter like Splatoon, and for @RESHIRAM5 it might be Mario games. For myself, it's been some time since Forza Horizon was a staple of my gaming time, and even longer since I've had such a game that isn't a racing game. Lately, when I finish a new game, all I've done is look for another one. :indiff:

That's why I'm so excited about XCX. Given impressions of the Japanese version, I'm reasonably convinced XCX will be my definitive title for the Wii U, and something I could be playing until Monolith Soft launches its sequel. I really haven't had a game like that in years.

I was talking to @Mrs Wolfe today about those special games that you "live and breathe." You know, those sterling titles you can play day after day, not just to complete it, but maybe for years, and a standby you can fall back on whenever you're taking a break from or have finished some other game. Gran Turismo would be one of those games for a lot of members here, and I used to have Enthusia Professional Racing for that, as well as Forza Horizon after my time on EPR waned.

For @Brend it might be a third person shooter like Splatoon, and for @RESHIRAM5 it might be Mario games. For myself, it's been some time since Forza Horizon was a staple of my gaming time, and even longer since I've had such a game that isn't a racing game. Lately, when I finish a new game, all I've done is look for another one. :indiff:

That's why I'm so excited about XCX. Given impressions of the Japanese version, I'm reasonably convinced XCX will be my definitive title for the Wii U, and something I could be playing until Monolith Soft launches its sequel. I really haven't had a game like that in years.
If you think for me is Mario games. Just wait until you see me with Pokemon :P

The news of Freedom Planet being cancelled indefinently sucks. Shame the devs have come across unfixable freezing issues and need an indefinite amount of time to fix them, I can respect their commitment to releasing a fully function title though.

Pre-ordered 'Rodea: The Sky Soldier' yesterday. Got the limited edition and it looks pretty snazzy.

rodea-le-1.jpg

Another new map arrives in Splatoon tomorrow, can't wait to set about it with my Splatling gun! Also, recently surpassed 100 hours playtime. :D

So I had been considering supporting Yacht Club with the new physical release for Shovel Knight, but the new SK amiibo will do! If I can get one before they're sold out and gone...

I also just found out that Kerbal Space Program is coming to the Wii U, which has piqued my interest considerably more than the original Steam release, partly for a unique touchscreen interface and a Star-Fox-Zero-esque split view with the cockpit on the Gamepad screen. :)

Freedom Planet is pretty great. The difficulty scale is impressive; on "Normal", some of the bosses and the later levels kicked my butt until I could figure them out, while @Mrs Wolfe has really enjoyed playing on "Casual" because the challenge is just about right and there are very few bottomless pits. The platforming is engaging, the soundtrack is good, and it's all quite authentic to the Genesis games from which it draws inspiration.

I'm glad they could figure out the issues and get it released. FYI, @Brend, according to Galaxy Trail they hope to have it on the EU eShop by November; it's ready, but they had an extra delay in certification over there. They said they hope to "speed it along."

Freedom Planet is pretty great. The difficulty scale is impressive; on "Normal", some of the bosses and the later levels kicked my butt until I could figure them out, while @Mrs Wolfe has really enjoyed playing on "Casual" because the challenge is just about right and there are very few bottomless pits. The platforming is engaging, the soundtrack is good, and it's all quite authentic to the Genesis games from which it draws inspiration.

I'm glad they could figure out the issues and get it released. FYI, @Brend, according to Galaxy Trail they hope to have it on the EU eShop by November; it's ready, but they had an extra delay in certification over there. They said they hope to "speed it along."
I really hope so. Wii U is pretty stagnant just now for me. :( :(

A thing happened! (@Pseudopod)

We made a trip into Madison yesterday for a couple appointments. I had some birthday money to spend, so on a whim I went to Gamestop to see if they had any older games on my wanted list. I now proudly own a copy of Xenoblade Chronicles. :D Based on my experience with buying Metroid Prime Trilogy, we can now expect XC to pop up on the NA Wii U eShop in the next two or three weeks, so you can thank me for that. ;) It's nicer to have a physical copy anyway.

I was concerned that XCX's gameplay would be "spoiled" a bit by playing this one, but I'm glad I went for it because the controls, combat, and various levelling systems all take some adjustment and learning. I'll be well prepared come December.

After playing a lot of Xbox ONE and having a bit of experience on the PS4. It makes me actually respect and like the Wii U a lot more.

The Wii U still gives us the gaming opportunities and features from last gen that is long gone on other consoles. It has Physical Backwards Compatibility, and you can also transfer the save data over for an added bonus. Online is totally free. I can easily just hop in for a quick session of MK8 or play some hectic SMM without worrying about my wallet. When I pick up a Wii U game, I know I'll experience something amazing once I put the disc into the console. I don't have to wait several miutes for an installation, I don't have to worry about Day 1 patches nor do I have to worry about glitchy messes because the game was rushed and relys on patches. I feel like an actual customer and supporter of Nintendo instead of a beta tester. When I here people say it is behind, I honestly can take it as a compliment sometimes, it isn't trying to be a better Xbox ONE or PS4 but rather its own thing that its consumers can enjoy like they have ever since the NES days.

I don't hate the Xbox ONE, hell I love it but experiencing it just makes me miss the gaming of old that the Wii U still supports to this day.

I really hope Nintendo doesn't follow the path Sony and Microsoft are continuing to do with their consoles. It is becoming much more of a choir each generation with those 2 companies and it isn't mostly paying right. Forza 6 is fantastic but the walls you have to go through just to pay a game when all you had to do was insert a disc into the console. The reason why I say this is because, I am worried. If Nintendo tries to follow, I might just give up on Console gaming. I have a feeling Xbox ONE will be the last time I ever own a PS/Xbox console and I surely hope the Wii U isn't my last Nintendo console.

Back