Will GT5 and the G27 (wheel)?

• Thread starter lokness
  • 177 comments
hey guys this is my first post in 4 years LOL.

Anyways when GT5 finally comes out, will i be able to make full use of the clutch in my G27?

lol like i said i havent been here in very long time. makes sense i should have posted this in the appropriate section, sorry!

Also at mick, its great to hear that atleast the g27 is fully supported, but how did it drive? were you able to shift even if you didnt drop in the clutch?

lol like i said i havent been here in very long time. makes sense i should have posted this in the appropriate section, sorry!

Also at mick, its great to hear that atleast the g27 is fully supported, but how did it drive? were you able to shift even if you didnt drop in the clutch?

If you have prologue that will answer your question as well. In order for the clutch to work on my G27 you have to press triangle right after the race starts. And if you don't push the clutch in it won't go into gear. And if you release the clutch to early you will skip a gear totally awesome. But the paddle shifters don't work.

lol that sounds totally awesome. this was the only thing concerning me, but its reignited some faith.cheers guys!

Hopefully the G25 and G27 will be in the menu because it was absent in GT5P. I remember seeing in the Q&A somewhere, somebody asked if the wheel would be supported in GT5P and one of the answers were, " We heard that people were able to use the clutch."

I guess they would have made it supported, there is no way the triangle button would engage the clutch on accident.

Hopefully the G25 and G27 will be in the menu because it was absent in GT5P. I remember seeing in the Q&A somewhere, somebody asked if the wheel would be supported in GT5P and one of the answers were, " We heard that people were able to use the clutch."

I guess they would have made it supported, there is no way the triangle button would engage the clutch on accident.

Don't count on it turning up in the options menu, Kaz has been asked on a couple occasions about it and the answer has been the same. The G25 (and G27) are not official GT wheels like the Driving force wheels of the past so they are not officially supported, but that doesn't mean they wont work.

As we know, there is no N gear in GT5P, at least with a controller. What happens when you set the stick to N on a G25/G27?

As we know, there is no N gear in GT5P, at least with a controller. What happens when you set the stick to N on a G25/G27?

It will go to Neutral, the same if you shift without clutch.
Let's hope they have an option to switch between manual with clutch and manual with paddle shifters in game. I'm so tired of pressing triangle when the race start.

If you have the clutch enabled it will go into neutral, if you don't have the clutch enabled it will just stay in the current gear until you move it to another gear.

Yeah the above is all correct, and i also agree that we probably wont see it in the options but i think it will work just fine with GT5, im not at all worried that iv wasted my money on the G27! :lol:

A pic of Kaz working on GT5.

Notice the box in the bottom left corner! A G27.

picture3zw.png

Oooh I am excited after seeing the pic of the G27... Hopefully it will be in the menu and be supported.

Man remember when mom used to tell you not to sit so close to the television? Man I don't think anyone could get closer than that.

Man remember when mom used to tell you not to sit so close to the television? Man I don't anyone could get closer than that.

Hah, I thought the same. Huge screen, a foot away!

Thanks for the clarification on the G25/27. The fact is that both these wheels will be supported, no doubt about that. The question is, will they be officially supported? These are PC peripherals, after all, not PS3.

Yes they work, but how Logitech and SONY markets their products matters too. The DFP and DFGT work on PC despite being PS3 wheels, yet Logitech does not market them as PC wheels and the opposite happens with the G25/27.

Hah, I thought the same. Huge screen, a foot away!

Thanks for the clarification on the G25/27. The fact is that both these wheels will be supported, no doubt about that. The question is, will they be officially supported? These are PC peripherals, after all, not PS3.

Yes they work, but how Logitech and SONY markets their products matters too. The DFP and DFGT work on PC despite being PS3 wheels, yet Logitech does not market them as PC wheels and the opposite happens with the G25/27.

I doubt you will see official support for the G27 as in a option for it under wheel settings. But you can just pick a Logitech wheel from the options and map things the way you like. Like users of the G25 have been doing since GT4.

You can already do this in GT5P, even though the G27 released well after GT5P. PD will pretty much make sure that every Logitech product is supported and mappable.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=24399741&postcount=3560

I know that the clutch was disabled for the Indy Time Trial. When I asked Kaz's Interpreter about the functionality of the G27 in GT5 last Wednesday at the GT Awards Party, I was told " The G27 will not be Fully Supported, but the DFGT will". Now what exactly that means is not clear to me. The Paddles did work on the Indy TT as well as the shift lights, for whatever that is worth. I would not be surprised if the clutch was not supported on the G27, but I do not know.

When talking with the highest levels of Polyphony Digital, they did indeed confirm that the fault for the G27 not being fully supported lies with Logitech. Logitech failed to code certain things with the G27 firmware that PD required, so it will only be partially supported. I too have a brand new G27, so I am in the same exact postion as every other G27 owner. I am a huge Logitech fan, but PD said that there were issues that gave the G27 an unfair advantage, whatever that refers to. I am just relaying info that I got from Kaz's interpreter. That's the most accurate and believeable info for me.

All I know about the Firmware issues are directly from the highest levels of Polyphony Digital. When I was asking them at the GT Awards Show about the G27, Taka told me:

" When we tested the G27, it had some functionality in the shifting process that gave it an unfair advantage over other peripherals. You were able to shift the G27 without losing any speed/ power. We repeated worked with Logitech to remedy this, but Logitech refused to alter their Firmware to our standards. Therefore the G27 will not be fully supported in G27"

I too, do not fully understand exactly what this means. I am just giving you the exact words, from Kaz's interpreter. That is the highest level of PD , as far as I am concerned. You cannot get any more direct info than this, in my opinion.

It is unclear to me if the paddle shifters will work or not. I certainly hope so, as I bought a new G27, and have been waiting to use it, like many others. I am hoping that the lack of full support is just having to do with the clutch function.

:( :( :(

And i wanted a G27 ... i will reconsider.

To me it's normal that Logitech allows ultra-fast gear changes, heck a F430 sc changes gears in 60ms ...

I was hoping for a dogbox-mode in GT5, where the clutch is activated so you can boost the revs out of slow corners, but it isn´t necessary to use when shifting. These kind of gearboxes are standard in many group N rally cars, but also older WRC, group A and possibly group B cars. It would make them easier to drive, without removing the realistic part of the driving experience.

" When we tested the G27, it had some functionality in the shifting process that gave it an unfair advantage over other peripherals. You were able to shift the G27 without losing any speed/ power. We repeated worked with Logitech to remedy this, but Logitech refused to alter their Firmware to our standards. Therefore the G27 will not be fully supported in G27"

This statement really comes off a bit arrogant on PD's part so I have my doubts. But assuming this is true and correct, I can only shake my head at the irony. Logitech refuses to change their firmware on an existing product for one particular PS3 title which (was) still in development and the result is, PD doesn't officially support it? Madness. There had to be a way to code around it. And if it really gave an unfair advantage, just turn off the clutch option for TT events.

Driving cars, especially classic cars with my G27 and clutch enabled was something I was really looking forward to. It's going to be very disappointing if the clutch is not functional. I hope this is all a mistake. Ever since the first leaked video, it seems like it's one small thing after another. But either way, we already know that the G25/G27 is not officially supported in the wheel list--something I find absolutely inexcusable. It means, clutch questions aside, no button mapping for the additional 4 buttons on the wheel which could have been programmed for looking sideways or for high beams or windshield wipers or a myriad of other possibilities.

I really wonder what's behind this. Perhaps PD just have some special agreement with Logitech to try and push the Logitech GT wheel.

Does anyone know if this means no clutch with the G25, even though it worked on GT5P?

My guess is that it will work like in GT5p.. with that stupid button press every race. I hope I am wrong.

About that G27 debacle. http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=24399741&postcount=3560

This probably has been discussed somewhere on this forum but I'm not sure.

I know for a fact that in GT5p with my G25, if I shifted too FAST- but still shifted properly with clutch, I would get thrown into neutral by the game. The reason it threw me into neutral was because the upgrades for the transmissions (or cars with faster transmissions) will obviously shift FASTER in the game. This happened a lot more with the slower economy cars, in the faster cars it would happen less because it was much harder to shift "too fast" because they had fast transmissions in the game to start.

What I think happens with the G27 - just a theory - is that it somehow overides this built in delay that slower shifting cars have in GT5. Then you would get quicker shifts n slower cars with the G27 than the G25 if using the clutch.. Hence the "advantage" Kaz talked about. What else could it be? The only other thing I can think of is that the G27 was able to use clutch, gated shifter, and paddles at the same time?

I don't know but I'd be pissed off if I got a G27 and Kaz and Logitech couldn't get their act together and compromise a solution which made the shifters or clutch not work in GT5. Damn that would suck. I'm glad I have two G25s.. one I'm using and one new sitting in it's box for when this one ever stops working..

The bigger question is this: WTH is so wrong with Sony, PD, Kaz, and Logitech that they didn't OFFICIALLY support both the G25 and G27. Anyone playing GT5(p) knows those wheels are 100 times better than anything "officially supported".. I had a DFpro, I know how SLOW the FF is in that compared to the better wheels. I talked to the designer of the G25 over at RSC back then and that was one of the major things that was lacking in the DFP(GT), among the long list of other problems.

Bottom line, why no official support for G25 and G27? It makes NO sense.

I know that the clutch was disabled for the Indy Time Trial. When I asked Kaz's Interpreter about the functionality of the G27 in GT5 last Wednesday at the GT Awards Party, I was told " The G27 will not be Fully Supported, but the DFGT will". Now what exactly that means is not clear to me. The Paddles did work on the Indy TT as well as the shift lights, for whatever that is worth. I would not be surprised if the clutch was not supported on the G27, but I do not know.When talking with the highest levels of Polyphony Digital, they did indeed confirm that the fault for the G27 not being fully supported lies with Logitech. Logitech failed to code certain things with the G27 firmware that PD required, so it will only be partially supported. I too have a brand new G27, so I am in the same exact postion as every other G27 owner. I am a huge Logitech fan, but PD said that there were issues that gave the G27 an unfair advantage, whatever that refers to. I am just relaying info that I got from Kaz's interpreter. That's the most accurate and believeable info for me.All I know about the Firmware issues are directly from the highest levels of Polyphony Digital. When I was asking them at the GT Awards Show about the G27, Taka told me:" When we tested the G27, it had some functionality in the shifting process that gave it an unfair advantage over other peripherals. You were able to shift the G27 without losing any speed/ power. We repeated worked with Logitech to remedy this, but Logitech refused to alter their Firmware to our standards. Therefore the G27 will not be fully supported in G27"I too, do not fully understand exactly what this means. I am just giving you the exact words, from Kaz's interpreter. That is the highest level of PD , as far as I am concerned. You cannot get any more direct info than this, in my opinion.It is unclear to me if the paddle shifters will work or not. I certainly hope so, as I bought a new G27, and have been waiting to use it, like many others. I am hoping that the lack of full support is just

Oh, and if the clutch works in GT5 w/ the G25- but not with the G27? Damn.. people will RIOT in the streets. Plus both my G25s will instantly become much more valuable.

Last edited by a moderator:
This statement really comes off a bit arrogant on PD's part so I have my doubts. But assuming this is true and correct, I can only shake my head at the irony. Logitech refuses to change their firmware on an existing product for one particular PS3 title which (was) still in development and the result is, PD doesn't officially support it? Madness. There had to be a way to code around it. And if it really gave an unfair advantage, just turn off the clutch option for TT events.

Driving cars, especially classic cars with my G27 and clutch enabled was something I was really looking forward to. It's going to be very disappointing if the clutch is not functional. I hope this is all a mistake. Ever since the first leaked video, it seems like it's one small thing after another. But either way, we already know that the G25/G27 is not officially supported in the wheel list--something I find absolutely inexcusable. It means, clutch questions aside, no button mapping for the additional 4 buttons on the wheel which could have been programmed for looking sideways or for high beams or windshield wipers or a myriad of other possibilities.

I really wonder what's behind this. Perhaps PD just have some special agreement with Logitech to try and push the Logitech GT wheel.

if bougght a G25 just coz it had a clutch and was built with proper materials...

the GT wheel, although nice seems like some sorta cheap plastic version, but still costs quite a lot for what it is.

However, in GT5P i never tried this neutral stuff you guys mention with thr triangle.
I usually use the paddle shifters behind the wheel anyways, mostly coz i have a crappy chair ect. no "real" driving position like one of those race seats with proper placing for the wheel and pedals. :(
(hard to use the cluth if you get a cramp if your ankle :P)

That will annoy the hell out of me if i cant map the buttons on my fanatec wheel. Premium wheel, Number 1 console racing game not going together? Madness

This wont happen! It can´t be that we are not able to use the clutch. I mean it´s GT and when there is no clutch the game would make no sense for me. I would go back to play with the pad because it´s set up much faster than my playseat.
This hole quotes came from the TT era? I still wonder that they took the clutch out of the TT. I think when there are price races or special online events they can ban the clutch, no problem but when I play against friends or the AI I should be able to use the clutch.

I sure hope you're right and this is just a storm in a glass of water, otherwise it would reduce a small part of the charm of GT5 for me. In less than a week we'll know.

I just hope I wont be spending the first night with the game seting the wheel up. I'll end up using the DFGT and what a waste of time getting a new wheel would be.

Back