Will PD be reviewing laps?

• Thread starter GT Motion
  • 132 comments
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have said this before. Even if the penalty system was 100% accurate........the same guys would be at the top.

You couldn't be more right... and if there were more laps, or limited laps... the same guys would still be at the top.

Isn't this horse beat to death yet? Jeez

south-park-dead-horse-300x202.jpg

I have said this before. Even if the penalty system was 100% accurate........the same guys would be at the top.

Thank you! I've also said this before on the forums that no matter what the rules are the same people would win. Although I would've liked to have driven cape without cutting, I had no problem doing it given the prizes up for grabs.

Where was the track cutting exactly? Going wide if I remember correctly isn't really track cutting. Track cutting involves making the track "shorter" in a sense. gaining extra time by taking away some of the corners.

Nice job, here's to round 2. I kept it "clean" at Cape Ring(through personal choice) and made it to round 2 so for the one's who say you have to; wrong. It's a personal choice not to deviate for those that didn't, and for any who failed to move onto round 2 because of it... Sounds like if you weren't fast enough to move on cleanly, sounds like you should have broken your rule... I am also a believer in not deviating, but I was able to do it.

Bottom line, sometimes in "chasing" a dream you may have to get a "little dirty."

Same, I figured I'm not quite gifted enough/couldn't put in enough practice time to be battling it out for a playseat or wheel so I focused my efforts on practicing the track as it'll have to be run at the national finals if I end up making it that far.

here's the rules:

Sponsor may have one or more race judges on site to monitor contestants during competition. The race judges (whose judgment on all race matters is final) may monitor races and may issue warnings for behaviors that violate standard rules for professional racing. Examples include:
• A slower driver that is holding another driver up can be asked to move over. Failure to comply would result in a warning.
• Any driver that is overly aggressive or hits another driver
• A driver deliberately cutting a corner
• A driver not moving over when asked

Each contestant is allowed two warnings. A contestant receiving three warnings will be disqualified from the race. Certain flagrant behaviors may also result in immediate disqualification.

Again, it's all up to each individual's interpretation of the rules, but I'd interpret cutting to imply gaining an advantage by leaving the racing surface. I've said before that I'm morally opposed to those kind of tactics and while I'm hoping I don't have to, if it turns out in the next round I need to, I'll hop right off my high horse and onto my JD tractor and go to town on those patches of grass.

The Cheef

the cutting rules deal are for races when it doesn't matter if you have a "red" time if you're still in front of the other guy. Doesn't apply to the TT

Plus, they announced I got a playseat, they obviously reviewed everything so in their eyes I did good :)

I always sleep fine.
I would not be sleeping well at all with that kind of driving though, win or lose.

My lap time does not matter in this conversation at all because I had no chance to continue through the 2nd round to the 3rd anyway as I know I'm not that good.
I could care less if I were first or dead last.

The best that can come from this is a learning experience for all involved, from the participants and the organizers, especially the organizers.
That is my gripe, the GT Academy as a whole, more so than how people drive.
The driving is another issue left to the individual to do as they see fit.
I have been driving against clean racers here at GTPlanet for many years, that's why I see this competition as the G(rass mowing) T(rack cutting) Academy.
I learned to drop out of such endeavors that are poorly organized.

Nothing but respect to you as a long time GTP Member- But I'm really having trouble understanding why you are so concerned with people that go wide in to the grass (not cutting a corner) or go wide in to the pit exit (also not cutting a corner) to their advantage, when you could care less about finishing first or last. I also sleep just fine at night. I am also a VERY clean racer, perhaps to a fault, when I am racing wheel to wheel with people, either in real-life or not. Heck, I even created a "Clean Spec Racing" lobby which was built around the fundamental ideal of clean racing held in the highest regard, always with penalties on low at a minimum. I also excel at and love autocross, where you have to push right to the absolute limit (within millimeters) without hitting cones. This kind of precision driving demands you to be clean, else you get a penalty.

You said/implied in a previous post that the course exploits were going on because drivers were not "skilled" enough to control their car from going in to the grass, which would mean that "noobs" were beating the "better drivers" because of a game glitch. This is incorrect. Rather, the best drivers are utilizing a tactic to get better exit speed and corner entry position for the following section. In fact, controlling the car while mowing the lawn after the esses, or managing the oversteer/loose condition at the pit exit is more difficult than staying on the tarmac. I lost control many times attempting these manuevers as I learned the technique required to do execute them.

So please, feel free to hate on us for mowing the lawn or running wide. It doesn't bother me one bit. But do not suggest that our driving skill is lacking for choosing to do so. :) 👍

Last edited:
This is the definition of "cheat" that I was working with.

avoid (something undesirable) by luck or skill : she cheated death in a spectacular crash.

I was avoiding elimination :D

After a second thought. Round 1 WAS unfair.

I did not have near the time available to work for the big prizes.lol.. Heck, I put in about 3 hours total(was top ten in se at that time) Then dropped back to 50ish. If i only had the time that some of my teammates do...*cough HUNK cough*

Only managed a 2:47 on cape that is so ugly i laugh every time i watch it. Yeah I mowed, but the mistakes and bad lines more than made up for it. Not using the entire track when needed, bit of sliding, and holy cow did i mess up that chicane after the sweeper.

Guess i will post it...just to show a ugly lap could put you in top 30 in SE on cape.(it was a top 20 at the time) count the places i lost time...lol

Nothing but respect to you as a long time GTP Member- But I'm really having trouble understanding why you are so concerned with people that go wide in to the grass (not cutting a corner) or go wide in to the pit exit (also not cutting a corner) to their advantage, when you could care less about finishing first or last.
Thanks for the respect and having a reasonable response.. 👍

No track cutting. Have a look at the 3rd pic down on the right..
I can add more if you all like.
You said/implied in a previous post that the course exploits were going on because drivers were not "skilled" enough to control their car from going in to the grass, which would mean that "noobs" were beating the "better drivers" because of a game glitch. This is incorrect.

If they were skilled they could of stayed on the track.
I said nothing of noobs and never will use the term, ever.

I am content with myself, my life and my driving and need not prove anything to anyone.
That's why I could care less.

I can see that I have been racing clean for far too long for you all to understand and likewise I can not understand why anyone would drive using such tactics unless they have to because they are short on talent.
Going off track, and hitting walls are not a talent, more an excuse for no skill.
And there are plenty of excuses going around.
If the laps were done clean, well that does take talent and I applaud them.

Again it's the fault of the organizers to allow such tactics and it's too bad for those who might have won something for their talent to be edged out by such terrible driving.
That's my problem with the event, it's preposterous, and I will do my part to announce it as such so as to not let it happen in the future.
It may fall of daft ears but I doing my part.

I don't hate anyone, I do find most of the human race a waste though.

Last edited:

No track cutting. Have a look at the 3rd pic down on the right.. https://us.gran-turismo.com/us/gt5/user/GTP_01GTP/#profile

I am content with myself, my life and my driving and need not prove anything to anyone.

I can see that I have been racing clean for far too long for you all to understand and likewise I can not understand why anyone would drive using such tactics unless they have to because they are short on talent.
Going off track, and hitting walls are not a talent, more an excuse for no skill.

Again it's the fault of the organizers to allow such tactics and it's too bad for those who might have won something for their talent to be edged out by such terrible driving.
That's my problem with the event, it's preposterous, and I will do my part to announce it as such so as to not let it happen in the future.

Others have thought the same as you. One of 'em loved schwimmwagens.

Also we are unable to see your "evidence" due to the fact that none of us are your friends. And based on your previous statements I highly doubt anyone will be friending you any time soon.

I love the GTP OLR but you sir are not an accurate representation of the average GTP member.

Goose I just hope you have enough time to take care of business when it counts...round 3. I WILL be in Orlando, and it would be great to have a teammate there. Plus, we will get to meet the alien 3wide and I can introduce you to the super mellow, Conman. ;)

Goose I just hope you have enough time to take care of business when it counts...round 3. I WILL be in Orlando, and it would be great to have a teammate there. Plus, we will get to meet the alien 3wide and I can introduce you to the super mellow, Conman. ;)

I should have enough time. Been to Orlando for the WCG nationals for my first pro event(PGR3) Going to do my best to get it done. WOuld be cool to meet everyone.

No track cutting. Have a look at the 3rd pic down on the right.. https://us.gran-turismo.com/us/gt5/user/GTP_01GTP/#profile

Fair enough sir, agree to disagee:tup:

I do agree with you 100% though on this statement: "I don't hate anyone, I do find most of the human race a waste though." :dunce: (as far as ignorance goes)

Last edited:

It's weird how you and the most brilliant man in history have different views on the human race. Maybe you should reconsider your findings.
Check my sig clarification.

It's weird how you and the most brilliant man in history have different views on the human race. Maybe you should reconsider your findings.
Check my sig clarification.

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.
— Albert Einstein

I actually was tested and had a very high IQ in grammer school and was in a class for it, but anyway..........

I'm sorry to judge racers that don't stay on the track then.
Seeing that fish don't climb trees that is a good comparison, thanks.

I don't compare myself to Einstein either, so why would you compare my view to his.
If he met the morons I meet day in and day out he might tend to differ, but I don't know Albert.
Do you?

I was very surprised at the fact at how many (use to be clean) racers have taken the lower road in this event.
These events are becoming worse every time.
I remember members talking about the problems at finals from other years and I think it has gone on long enough.

Think what you want and I'll do the same, we have the right.
Agree to disagree? I do.

I guess Pd reviewed the laps and said at least mine was ok, my email confirming my round 2 entry arrived! +1 for the John Deere club!

I don't compare myself to Einstein either, so why would you compare my view to his.
If he met the morons I meet day in and day out he might tend to differ, but I don't know Albert.
Do you?

Think what you want and I'll do the same, we have the right.
Agree to disagree? I do.
He was a Jew that lived during the Holocaust, and he still had faith in everyone. Yet you can't get over a very minute problem, that was negligible at best, without using derogatory name calling. So, there is no comparison, and there never was one. Besides, ol Albert wasn't a genius in grammAr school like you.

As for disagreeing about the GTAcademy, I couldn't care less about what you feel, or your opinion, about the whole situation, but I do disagree with most humans are a waste comment (that's why I addressed that comment).

Last edited:
I always sleep fine.
I would not be sleeping well at all with that kind of driving though, win or lose.

My lap time does not matter in this conversation at all because I had no chance to continue through the 2nd round to the 3rd anyway as I know I'm not that good.
I could care less if I were first or dead last.

The best that can come from this is a learning experience for all involved, from the participants and the organizers, especially the organizers.
That is my gripe, the GT Academy as a whole, more so than how people drive.
The driving is another issue left to the individual to do as they see fit.
I have been driving against clean racers here at GTPlanet for many years, that's why I see this competition as the G(rass mowing) T(rack cutting) Academy.
I learned to drop out of such endeavors that are poorly organized.

^That is why he is upset

Last edited:
I am going to quote myself from that other thread that beat this horse to death. I know that my post will not change anyone's mind, but I think that both sides of this argument can relate to it.

This whole thread is a debate between two thought processes. Those who are willing to do anything it takes, within the rules given to them by the event organizers, and those who would prefer to abide by a self imposed code of ethics.

I don't think either of them are wrong. I just feel that at times we must adjust our attitude to suit our environment. Like I said before, if I am a team owner I take the guy that is willing to do what it takes to win, and uses the rules to his advantage. Ethics has its place in friendly competitions, but when racing for more than just bragging rights, the line becomes a little more blurry. This is not a community run racing series (GTP), this is a North American(except in Canada ) competition. There is no way anyone can expect everyone else to abide by their own personal rules. It's not going to happen. The fastest laps that are within the rules of the tournament will be the ones moving on. Nothing is going to change that.

To the OP, hopefully they will be reviewing laps and learn something. The things that are happening in the viewable top are not good 👎

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back