Will PD be reviewing laps?

• Thread starter GT Motion
  • 132 comments
Status
Not open for further replies.
GT-Motion
I just read through a whole lot of that "fed up with cutting" thread and this thread is not supposed to turn into a conversation like that one, so please, just limit this to whether or not you think we will get DQ'd or not.

I have yet to still post my fast time on Cape Ring, so before I sit down and make a concentrated effort, I wanted to see what you guys thought about this.

At the end of Round 1, when they review the leaders, review their replay's to award prizes/promote to the next round. Do you think they are going to find the Cape Ring driving off the racing surface to be acceptable? Or do you think they may hand out some DQ's to whoever in the top 128 used the pit lane and grass edges, and then hand the spots to those next in line who didn't use them.

I am not arguing about whether or not cutting is right or wrong in your mind, I am only asking if you think PD will DQ people for driving off the racing surface at the end of round 1.

Honestly, in my opinion they have probably heard or seen replays of the alleged grass cutting technique by now because GT Academy is such a big thing for them. Therefore, if they were bound to say anything then they would have probably said it by now. I doubt they will DQ anyone who has done for this simple reason stated above and that the penalty system in-game does not prohibit this technique.

I'm sure if PD is really serious about this stuff they will probably double check the next rounds tracks and redo the penalty areas if necessary.

Also, if you look back to the old GT Academy/TT Demo players even Kaz cut a little bit of the track heading to the last long turn to the start/finish straight.

NO

there is a lot of good clean driving, there is no way they would take that away from people for doing nothing wrong.

plus if they see everybody do it they should understand that its still as fair as it can get.

NO

there is a lot of good clean driving, there is no way they would take that away from people for doing nothing wrong.

plus if they see everybody do it they should understand that its still as fair as it can get.

I hope your right, I am going to do the fastest clean lap I can, and I wont worry about driving in the grass unless I make it close to the top 25, I already know I am in round 2, so the only reason to drive in the grass now would be to nab a prize.

Keep in mind SCEA runs GT Academy, not Polyphony Digital. These sorts of questions have been raised before, when we collectively called out the worst cheaters in a Logitech GT5P competition and got the attention of the organizers. They chose to just let the in-game penalty system decide what was or was not allowed to reduce as much subjectivity as possible.

Keep in mind SCEA runs GT Academy, not Polyphony Digital. These sorts of questions have been raised before, when we collectively called out the worst cheaters in a Logitech GT5P competition and got the attention of the organizers. They chose to just let the in-game penalty system decide what was or was not allowed to reduce as much subjectivity as possible.

I wish you had posted this here. Would have put the topic to rest. Thanks for posting that link!

That was from Logitech though, so of course he is going to let GT5's penalty system be the deciding factor.

Since GT Academy is through SCEA like you say, you don't think they may handle things differently?

Yes, that was Logitech, but it's the only situation I'm aware of in which the "corporate" organizers formally addressed this sort of issue. I would be very surprised if SCEA handled it differently.

Yes, that was Logitech, but it's the only situation I'm aware of in which the "corporate" organizers formally addressed this sort of issue. I would be very surprised if SCEA handled it differently.

You are probably right, plus these offs in the grass aren't nearly as bad as those wall bounces from videos I saw.

PD Will review just leaders lap, because the they will win $$$ prizes

And probability they will DQ just the guys that use shortcuts...

For e.g. > In Rome, is faster if you "Throw" the car into the wall before the straights

unfortunately what is or isn't cheating can end up being too subjective. They will likely leave it until the finals in Orlando and then make some sort of rule (probably a 4 off rule) thats easily policed by a judge with the replay and that the person can easily protest on the spot.

PD Will review just leaders lap, because the they will win $$$ prizes

And probability they will DQ just the guys that use shortcuts...

For e.g. > In Rome, is faster if you "Throw" the car into the wall before the straights

This is just not true. If you "throw" your car into any wall it will be detrimental, especially before a straight :scared: . A slight bump can help you with braking into turn 1 and maybe the hairpin, but it would be nearly impossible to perfect (fix, I'm making a point try not to prove me wrong :D). But on that note, none of the top guys are hitting walls like that and are you even participating? Where does your"knowledge" that "PD WILL REVIEW" come from?
This competition is being handled by SCEA as other guys stated, so if anyone reviews the replay its not PD. Also they didnt just start the competition and walk away. We can all watch the top 10 replays for our region and the national boards so don't you think that they would be doing at least the same?

There is nothing to reveiw but, some fast ass laps.I been reading forums since start of comp its racing. If the lap time doesnt go red and im flying why should i police myself. Shame on the makers of game to allow it. Stop the crying already slow people always cry.Go fast or put the car on the trailer and go home.

reveiw what blistering fast lap times.do you think there going to shop the first 1000 times cuz they went off track .not

No possible way the leaders won't advance. Every one of the top times I watched used the "lawn" to there most advantage if possible. If you were to participate in a real race on Cape Ring I would encourage you to use every edge and every advantage you have possible. Why do some racers think not going all the way is most commendable; go for the damn win. If your hero is Ayrton Senna GO ALL OUT!!!

Ya it isn't pretty and I would have liked it more if the grass edge were a automatic DQ. Can't remember if I used the pit lane I didn't really think about that before I saw someone mentioned it.

Last edited:
There is nothing to reveiw but, some fast ass laps.I been reading forums since start of comp its racing. If the lap time doesnt go red and im flying why should i police myself. Shame on the makers of game to allow it. Stop the crying already slow people always cry.Go fast or put the car on the trailer and go home.

lol This thread was posted out of curiosity, not crying.

I think what is done is done for round 1. As for round 2, if a patch is issued before the start we should go back and run Cape ring and see how much grass mowing is allowed. If nothing has changed, expect round 2 to go just like round 1. Fastest times that don't go red will advance.

I think what is done is done for round 1. As for round 2, if a patch is issued before the start we should go back and run Cape ring and see how much grass mowing is allowed. If nothing has changed, expect round 2 to go just like round 1. Fastest times that don't go red will advance.

I did a race with off track physics set to "real" and as soon as I hit the grass I was into the barrier. I think they have it set to "low" for the academy...lame.

If you were to participate in a real race on Cape Ring I would encourage you to use every edge and every advantage you have possible.

Here is the problem with that. In real life you avoid grass at all costs because it's crazy slippery, especially with slicks on. It's an unrealistic glitch / exploit because on a "real" Cape Ring you'd be eating wall if you hit that grass coming out of the corner.

I hope they do something. I'm tired of seeing people online who exploit this stuff or just outright cheat. DQ them and put up a wall of shame for them or something.:)

I didn't know that was an option...it is lame...but then again it was probably done thinking it would make things easier for novice players to put up faster times...not realizing that expert players would abuse the ability to cut corners and mow grass.

At the end of Round 1, when they review the leaders, review their replay's to award prizes/promote to the next round. Do you think they are going to find the Cape Ring driving off the racing surface to be acceptable? Or do you think they may hand out some DQ's to whoever in the top 128 used the pit lane and grass edges, and then hand the spots to those next in line who didn't use them.

I would be all for the review. But then, just about everybody used the extra bits of track... I was really dissapointed to see some of the guys that I view as role models, use the exploit. Knowing them, I thought they would still post top 10 without the getting in the grass, but they just followed along with everyone else. Besides that, I posted a clean 2' 48.6" in hopes of any kind of reviews.

Here is the problem with that. In real life you avoid grass at all costs because it's crazy slippery, especially with slicks on. It's an unrealistic glitch / exploit because on a "real" Cape Ring you'd be eating wall if you hit that grass coming out of the corner.

I hope they do something. I'm tired of seeing people online who exploit this stuff or just outright cheat. DQ them and put up a wall of shame for them or something.:)

This would make you feel all warm and fuzzy inside wouldn't it?

I understand why exploiting the rules are frowned upon. What I don't understand is why the people least affected by it are the ones that cry about it the most?

Ghost +1

I tried to put up Cape Ring laps without using any of the corner cutting. The best I could manage on a blistering lap was low-to-mid 2:46s without cutting a single blade of grass. Top 10 times without touching a blade of grass is impossible...

I heard someone say that the pit exit "cheat" at Cape only helped them by .150 - they obviously weren't carrying enough speed. You can carry about 25 km/hr more speed through that whole straight, but the biggest thing is that you set up the next hairpin better - you carry THAT speed all the way to the ring. I would guess that you are looking at about .5-.7 in the pit exit alone, and another .5s in sectors 1/2 with the corner trimming.

It is what it is - it wasn't a minor shortcut, prizes were on the line, and the game allowed it.

I was really dissapointed to see some of the guys that I view as role models, use the exploit. Knowing them, I thought they would still post top 10 without the getting in the grass, but they just followed along with everyone else.

It's quite a bit more likely that a person will have thoughts toward others about cheating, disappointment, inadequate moral standards, etc., when they are not in a situation where it is neccesary to stretch the rules in order to achieve a goal.

However, if you are one of those in a position to win a prize, or if you are hovering near the cutoff point for advancing to the next round, then perspectives may very well change for most people.

For me, I held out as long as I could with staying off the grass at Cape, but once I no longer had any doubt that I could not possibly claim the top prize without equipping myself with the same tools others were using, I finally decided to use the grass and put my name at the top for the week 2 Playseat.

I completely stopped running the Academy after that, and look forward to a round 2 with tracks that have less opportunity for exploitation. However, if at any time in rounds 2 and 3 I find that I am in danger of not advancing, I will make use of any methods that my competitors are also employing, to be sure that I am given the same tools as they are to reach the next stage.

Best of luck to you and others in the upcoming rounds. 👍

Last edited:
I felt the disappointment Mr. M3 speaks of. Getting a free wheel while not going back to Tsukuba made up for it though. :)

It's quite a bit more likely that a person will have thoughts toward others about cheating, disappointment, inadequate moral standards, etc., when they are not in a situation where it is neccesary to stretch the rules in order to achieve a goal.

However, if you are one of those in a position to win a prize, or if you are hovering near the cutoff point for advancing to the next round, then perspectives may very well change for most people.

For me, I held out as long as I could with staying off the grass at Cape, but once I no longer had any doubt that I could not possibly claim the top prize without equipping myself with the same tools others were using, I finally decided to use the grass and put my name at the top for the week 2 Playseat.

I completely stopped running the Academy after that, and look forward to a round 2 with tracks that have less opportunity for exploitation. However, if at any time in rounds 2 and 3 I find that I am in danger of not advancing, I will make use of any methods that my competitors are also employing, to be sure that I am given the same tools as they are to reach the next stage.

Best of luck to you and others in the upcoming rounds. 👍

Completely understandable. Unfortunately for me, I waited until the last 2 hours to put in work, didn't make the cut. So good luck to you. I wait to see the battle between you and the others (TPRA guys).

Completely understandable. Unfortunately for me, I waited until the last 2 hours to put in work, didn't make the cut. So good luck to you. I wait to see the battle between you and the others (TPRA guys).

Oh darn, I thought I had understood you to have made it to round 2- sorry man, I know you probably could have if you had more time to work on it. At least you only missed out on GT for PSP (I think that's the prize to everyone for clearing round 1). :)

This would make you feel all warm and fuzzy inside wouldn't it?

Who doesn't like watching cheaters get hosed? Cheaters, that's who.

where it is neccesary to stretch the rules in order to achieve a goal.

Ahhh the wonderful society we live in. Whatever happened to cheating just being, you know, wrong? I guess alot of people subscribe to the Barry Bonds school of ethics and morality.

Last edited:
Who doesn't like watching cheaters get hosed? Cheaters, that's who.

Ahhh the wonderful society we live in. Whatever happened to cheating just being, you know, wrong? I guess alot of people subscribe to the Barry Bonds school of ethics and morality.

you want a cookie?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back