Will the relatively poor sales of GT6 affect the development of GTSport?

Will the abysmal sales of GT6 have an effect on how GT7 is designed and developed?

• Definitely. I think they will take this as a sign that they need a major overhaul of the franchise.

Votes: 34 16.4%
  • Somewhat. Much of the game will remain "GT", but some parts will be overhauled completely.

Votes: 111 53.6%
  • Not at all. Business as usual. A familiar game targeted towards a more casual audience ala GT6.

Votes: 62 30.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
@sk8er913 I doubt that slapping an online mode "fixes" any issues with the single plater game. A lot of people don't like to race online for a lot of other reasons than bad internet or bad servers (like difficulties of hosting a race or horrible people you might see online etc.) and that combined with a very lack luster outdated A.I, and no qualifying or roper starts in the single player ruins a lot of things for Car Racing fans.

If you look at other games like Grid: Autosport, Project CARS (though PCARS is still buggy at the moment) and others they are able to out in experiences that feels like proper racing for both Online and Single Player with better A.I, Servers, Qualifying and actual moments that give an amazing car racing feel no matter where you are at.

18j3z1b9en48ajpg.jpg

Since PD is first party Platform Royalty can be ignored.
The validility of this chart is automatically discarded since its a Pie-Chart. Never, ever use pie-charts.

Well 14x2.37 is 30 million. Thats a lot for a 50 man team. I still think they made money from this game.

The trouble with that is that annual cost of development is 12 million (GT5 budget 60 million over 5 years), PD have 150+ staff and GT6 was reduced in price very quickly indeed. So Full price for maybe 1 million sales and budget price for the rest.

I blame the low sales of GT6 on the closing on GT5 servers. People were angry and thought, why buy one of there games, if there going to close the the servers.

Real life wins everytime, but everything can be improved and the AI in GT6 is abysmal. Please try to understand, that for someone like Tired Tyres or myself a good AI is more important, because some don't have the time or skill to race in a very competitive and good racing league like the gt endurance series. I like watching it, thought. Beyond that driving in random lobbys can result in bad races with a lot crashes.

While I understand the frustration of finding a lobby with like-minded and like-skilled drivers in the game's current state, I don't understand the need for people like you who say "I don't have the time or skill" (you'd be fine if you actually regularily joined and raced people), to then see the need for a more competitive AI. If the current AI is 'that easy', you'll do well enough online with people making real racing decisions and mistakes in my opinion. Unless someone doesn't have a half decent connection (which I'm sure is still a good bunch around the world), or unless you're actually learning car behaviour for the first time, I don't see why it's not how one would mostly play.. it's just so much better than any calculation an AI system could be.

What we need though, as highly "liked" as a suggestion, is a driver rating system so similar skilled people are matched, then hopefully this complaint can take an end... along with less connection drops of course. Plus better physics and sounds and we'll be golden. :cool:

I blame the low sales of GT6 on the closing on GT5 servers. People were angry and thought, why buy one of there games, if there going to close the the servers.
I have to disagree here, doubt that the closing of gt5 servers would make people so angry that they would no longer buy an games in the GT series.

I believe GT6 sold less than its predecessors due to being released after next gen consoles.
If Gt6 was released on the PS4 then I think the sales would be much higher. Cause when the Ps4 came out, a lot of people got rid of their Ps3s. GT5 came out when there were no new consoles out, so they sales figures would be higher

Just a reminder (if this thread is allowed to continue by the mods), from the OP:

NOTE: This is not a discussion of GT6 sales, you can find that discussion HERE. It's also not a bash GT6 thread, you can find that HERE.

I guess the question is whatever the sales numbers, will Polyphony make different decisions if they're lower than if they're higher?

I sort of doubt it.

Looking at it one way, you could make the argument that they're making the best game that they can anyway, so there's no point changing their mind. They can't make it any better.

Looking at it the other way, they're hardly the sort of company that goes out of their way to make sure they satisfy they customer. They make the game the way they want to make it, and you like it or you don't. If they were building games to suit their customer base we'd have a livery editor and full damage by now. And a course maker. :P

For whatever reason they choose, I suspect Polyphony will go on doing Polyphony things.

While I understand the frustration of finding a lobby with like-minded and like-skilled drivers in the game's current state, I don't understand the need for people like you who say "I don't have the time or skill" (you'd be fine if you actually regularily joined and raced people), to then see the need for a more competitive AI. If the current AI is 'that easy', you'll do well enough online with people making real racing decisions and mistakes in my opinion. Unless someone doesn't have a half decent connection (which I'm sure is still a good bunch around the world), or unless you're actually learning car behaviour for the first time, I don't see why it's not how one would mostly play.. it's just so much better than any calculation an AI system could be.

What we need though, as highly "liked" as a suggestion, is a driver rating system so similar skilled people are matched, then hopefully this complaint can take an end... along with less connection drops of course. Plus better physics and sounds and we'll be golden. :cool:
That's where GTPlanet comes in. :) both snail and GTPES have rating systems. :)

I said no and business as usual.
GT6 came across as a last minute money grab for a system on it's way out. IMHO GT6 should have been targeted as a PS4 title and delayed accordingly. With that said, I doubt GT7 will be any different from the last few games... Carry over a ton of stuff, formats, novelties, etc etc. Maybe they will add a few cars or tracks but otherwise I wouldn't expect to spend time in GT7 any differently than in previous games.

I expect GT will always have an oil change option (like I really need to worry about the oil on my imaginary race car). :rolleyes:

GT6 came across as a last minute money grab for a system on it's way out. IMHO GT6 should have been targeted as a PS4 title and delayed accordingly. With that said, I doubt GT7 will be any different from the last few games... Carry over a ton of stuff, formats, novelties, etc etc. Maybe they will add a few cars or tracks but otherwise I wouldn't expect to spend time in GT7 any differently than in previous games.

I expect GT will always have an oil change option (like I really need to worry about the oil on my imaginary race car). :rolleyes:
I quite like the maintenance features. Including the car wash... I heard it reduces the drag coefficient. :lol:

Another reason for low sales could be down to the release of the PS4 around the same time as GT6 came out......if anybody else made that point then I am sorry

Another reason for low sales could be down to the release of the PS4 around the same time as GT6 came out......if anybody else made that point then I am sorry
I highly recommend reading both of these quotes from page 2. :) Has a similar theme, as well as additional information.

The reason why GT1s and GT3s (and probably GT5s too) sales were higher than GT2 GT4 GT6 sales was, because often Gran Turismo was sold with the console as a bundle. That's part of the problem, another problem was that it was released at the same the next gen console.

bad sales =/ bad game

probably more like:
Late release + No console sales = bad sales

This might change development of GT8, depending on how it lines up with the PS5 release. But not for 7.
Well done, I see it on the news page now.

"Although VIRAG does not specify the source of their data, their numbers closely match those displayed by “VGChartz” in 2014 – an unofficial and notoriously unreliable website which provides rough estimates of video game sales. Therefore, the numbers reported in the court documents are unverified, outdated, and almost certainly incorrect."

I've seen a lot of people directly comparing GT4,5 and 6 to make a case for GT6 not being a bad game compared to it's predecessors. I believe that's the wrong way to look at it. Look at GT4 in the context of the time it was released. It took GT3 and built on it, not took away from it. The 'career' mode was enormous, and the cars were ALL hugely detailed for their time. The AI wasn't bad for it's time either, and you could choose to do quali sessions if you wanted to start near the front.

Forget online mode, the PS2 didn't have the ability for PD to make GT4 online (technically it had the hardware, but Sony never supported it, much like how it had the hardware to put a hdd into it, but Sony didn't support it).

Now look at GT5 in the context of it's release date. It had been a massive wait for GT fans, who had been carefully fed on a diet of mega hype for the game. It sold like crazy, but in the end it wasn't really a great game compared to other racing games of 2010, unlike GT4, which was genuinely offering something you couldn't get elsewhere.

GT6 came along in 2013, and it felt like an expansion of GT5, and was still offering sub par quality car models, damage, sound, and AI.

Online capability isn't a selling point these days, it's a necessity, as all games have it. I raced competitively online in gt6, and it wasn't really great imo. If you went into public rooms you'd more often than not find yourself racing a room with hugely varying skill levels, and you'd find people rage quitting or deciding to just drive the track in reverse trying to crash into you when they knew they couldn't beat you. Then you could spend the ridiculous amount of time needed to compete in an online league, to guarantee everyone is taking it seriously, but you need to actually dedicate specific times to racing to do that, you can't just pick it up and play. Then you'll have to practice to be competitive, and you'll find more often than not you get to a race weekend, and there might be one or two people you're actually racing against, and everyone else is nowhere near your pace. The race ends with 6 people on track, two of which are on the lead lap, and the rest are lapping whole seconds off your average pace. Then you'll get rage quitters, who thought they'd be competitive, but in the end can't handle losing, so they quit half way through a race. Then you'll get people with poor connections lagging out and causing accidents with their car glitching all over the track.

The above (admittedly huge wall of text) explains why I really have almost no interest in online racing.
1) I am too busy to commit to a schedule, I play racing games for fun, not for a job.
2) I dislike racing against a tiny field of people of all different skill levels, which is 99% of what you'll find online.
3) I'd prefer not to race knowing my race may be ended by someone crashing into me on purpose.
4) I really hate being in a race online and seeing the other cars twitching and glitching around everywhere due to lag.

Decent AI is far more important to me than a well set up online mode.

Also I very much agree with:

I guess the question is whatever the sales numbers, will Polyphony make different decisions if they're lower than if they're higher?

I sort of doubt it.

Looking at it one way, you could make the argument that they're making the best game that they can anyway, so there's no point changing their mind. They can't make it any better.

Looking at it the other way, they're hardly the sort of company that goes out of their way to make sure they satisfy they customer. They make the game the way they want to make it, and you like it or you don't. If they were building games to suit their customer base we'd have a livery editor and full damage by now. And a course maker. :P

For whatever reason they choose, I suspect Polyphony will go on doing Polyphony things.

this ^

and this ^

@Mike_grpA Star Wars Battlefront II had online play. 24 player matches, if I remember correctly.

The AI are perfect for most "pick up and play" users... from experience most of them can't even keep it on the track anyways. :lol:

I stand corrected, it technically had the functionality, it just obviously wasn't good enough for many devs to bother with.
Online gaming wasn't a big thing until 2005/2006, when the XB360 and the PS3 were released. There was XBox live for the original Xbox, but I don't think anybody used it.

Yeah one of my good friends had an Xbox, but we never once even considered online gaming on consoles, they were just too weak for it to be any good. Online gaming was big in 2005 though, but only on PC.

The PS2 not only had (eventually built in) online ability that dozens of games took advantage of (as early as Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 3, in fact; and Sony even published a lot of them), but the reason for GT4's final delay before the game was finaly released was a desperation shot by PD to try and get the online mode that GT4 had working properly.

Online gaming wasn't a big thing until 2005/2006, when the XB360 and the PS3 were released. There was XBox live for the original Xbox, but I don't think anybody used it.
Yeah one of my good friends had an Xbox, but we never once even considered online gaming on consoles, they were just too weak for it to be any good. Online gaming was big in 2005 though, but only on PC.
SegaNet was ultimately only a blip on the horizon, but the original Xbox Live had several games that were hugely popular online when they launched (including a really good port of Counter-Strike) and even had some games that offered DLC; and the PS2 had several MMORPGs released on it.

Last edited:
The PS2 not only had (eventually built in) online ability that dozens of games took advantage of (as early as Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 3, in fact; and Sony even published a lot of them), but the reason for GT4's final delay before the game was finaly released was a desperation shot by PD to try and get the online mode that GT4 had working properly.

SegaNet was ultimately only a blip on the horizon, but the original Xbox Live had several games that were hugely popular online when they launched (including a really good port of Counter-Strike) and even had some games that offered DLC; and the PS2 had several MMORPGs released on it.
Wasn't GTHD the first GT with online?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back