Will we be able to upgrade parts and tune cars in GT Sport?

• Thread starter Longhorn05
  • 44 comments
Probably. It would suck to drive a stock Miata for a year or two. And it doesn't make sense to have a credit system when all you can do is buy cars and not buy parts

Haven't we already seen the Miata with upgrades? Pretty sure it had a few aero bits added.

The tinkered ND? I noticed it had a different name during the pre-race grid walk. It had "N200" stuck on the end, so I believe PD has created a Cup Car stand-in.

I'm inclined to say no, simply because Kaz pretty much outlined all the modes including the livery editor and made no mention of any other customization. It would be a bit of a let down for me. At the very least, I hope they include a small selection of aftermarket rims.

I'd understand it if the game didn't feature tuning parts, but in my opinion adjustable car settings is a must in a game like GTS is supposed to be.

Well you earn money so what are you going to spend it on besides cars?
Plane tickets to the photo mode locations. Simulation boys.

Well if there's any hint of tuning parts, the Mazda at the end of the video looked like a racing modified version. Who knows though at this point.

I'd expect the level of customization we got in GT5P, just an educated guess.

If they were going to include any sort of mildly deep customization, they would've said so already to pump the lackluster list of features in GTS. Considering what they've shown in their "big reveal" you should expect a livery editor, adjustable car settings...and that's about it.

Someone sent GT a question about this over Facebook, but I forget what the answer was. I don't want to answer this without seeing what they replied, and I don't know if I'll find it, lost in the black hole which the General Discussion thread has become. :lol:

Actually, what I'd really like to see...is the ability to tune them as you'd like (an extended version of what we've seen in past games) but also have the ability to tune them for a specific class so that they could be used in race car specific events.

The tinkered ND? I noticed it had a different name during the pre-race grid walk. It had "N200" stuck on the end, so I believe PD has created a Cup Car stand-in.
I'm guessing N200 might be a sub-category of the N Series racing tier. As in N200, N300 etc. A way of grouping the street cars around a common HP figure for example. There's no way you can race an N Tier Corvette vs. a Focus in some kind of sanctioned race or series without massively altering the performance beyond believibility for one or both. Grouping the street cars in logical sub-categories seems like a good idea.

The big question is can you adjust tire size ( wheel size and width/tire tread ), tire pressure and caster this time around ? Those are some the basics when owning/setting up car IRL ( for street and track driving )

I see some race cars have more camber on the front wheels ( opposite of stock alignment in GT6 for most GT3 cars with big rear camber compared to front ), maybe PD have improved it ?

I think they will have it otherwise they may as well have gotten rid of the PP scale. Especially if cars are already grouped by class.
The fact that Performance Points make a return is enough to convince me that modification will also still be present.

I need this answered officially. I read the article with the E3 interview, stating everything would be "improved" and there would be more of it, but the turbos, Super chargers, exhausts, cpu, etc. could possibly have been "simplified" by class upgrades & such or something.

I mean, it would be cool if you could downgrade or upgrade a vehicles class via tuning (it would explain the Gr. 4 Bugatti Veyron), but nothing on it has been confirmed.

I'm asking because I have a sceptical friend that just messaged me, leaning away from GT and towards FM7 at this very moment, because...

"Its basically mission not a traditional single player anymore..."

and he also...

"heard theres no performance upgrading either...".

Would really like to clarify and debunk this ASAP.

Last edited:
Performance upgrades should be there for sure. They have always been in GT. Its a thing that is there for granted.

Last edited:
Kaz made some reference to this last year and seemed to indicate that the level of tuning available won't be quite up to the level of prior games.

Kaz made some reference to this last year and seemed to indicate that the level of tuning available won't be quite up to the level of prior games.

It would be greatly appreciated if someone could provide a source. I've looked and found nothing.

I also noticed in button assignments in the beta, that you can assign a button to nitrous. So, I'm leaning more towards available currently. Open to proof/info of it actually being unavailable though.

Unfortunately the only "source" you will find is more than likely over 12 months old,

Personally I anticipate/know (from the beta) that parts will be available.
But I highly doubt those parts will include HP increase or weight reduction options.

With updates to the Beta perhaps things will become clearer.
But that's perhaps unlikely as well.

We'll just have to wait and see.

*Edit
I haven't noticed anything regarding Nitro myself, so that's interesting.

It would be greatly appreciated if someone could provide a source. I've looked and found nothing.

I also noticed in button assignments in the beta, that you can assign a button to nitrous. So, I'm leaning more towards available currently. Open to proof/info of it actually being unavailable though.
Via Translator-San. If you want the full Kaz Japanese version go back a minute or so. He seems to be hinting there won't be any upgrading at all but that you can tune certain parameters on racecars. As noted above, this was a long time ago, release has been delayed a year and all this might be out the window:

I seriously doubt that there will be anything other than the non-specific power and weight adjustments we can see in the beta.

GTS's central function is class racing and for that you need to build a BoP around a standard configuration of each car. Tuning parts don't serve any purpose there. So, if they were to include tuning, it would be for non-class racing only, which seems like a lot of work for something that is not in their focus.

But that's just my guess.

You can add race transmissions, and adjustable LSD, just to name a couple, to street cars(N300) in the beta. So there is some sort of part upgrade present at the moment.

Will they include bumpers, aero, and wheels like in previous GTs? I hope so.

MMX
You can add race transmissions, and adjustable LSD, just to name a couple, to street cars(N300) in the beta. So there is some sort of part upgrade present at the moment.

Will they include bumpers, aero, and wheels like in previous GTs? I hope so.
Those simple upgrades are to be expected. I think people are more concerned about engine upgrades, turbos, ECU, exhaust etc.

Those simple upgrades are to be expected. I think people are more concerned about engine upgrades, turbos, ECU, exhaust etc.
No doubt, but none of us know that, I was just giving an example of what we do.

Numerous people wanted that to be asked during GTP's time with Kaz, but it didn't make the cut.

Via Translator-San. If you want the full Kaz Japanese version go back a minute or so. He seems to be hinting there won't be any upgrading at all but that you can tune certain parameters on racecars. As noted above, this was a long time ago, release has been delayed a year and all this might be out the window:

Wow... Very disappointing... I hope this info didn't go under the radar with the GTP community as it did with me. Really hoping Kaz got a whif on player feedback regarding the subject.

High horse-power drag racing has an entire community/fanbase in Gran Turismo. And some weaker vehicles, really hit their stride with the added horses performanc upgrades provide. I often find myself sticking with upgraded street vehicles as well, honestly. Really disappointing if they haven't changed this... It's been a Gran Turismo staple since the very first GT...

Gran Turismo where you can't hop up a car to make the races easier to win instead of practicing and struggling to improve to win? This will not fly... :P

Back