Windows... 10?!?

• Thread starter Xilor
  • 1,473 comments
Windows 7 and 8.1 licences are still valid though right? So if MS were to do something unforgivable with 10 people who upgraded could move back to the previous OS and still have it activated?

Windows 7 and 8.1 licences are still valid though right? So if MS were to do something unforgivable with 10 people who upgraded could move back to the previous OS and still have it activated?
No, atleast internally. Since Windows 10.1 arrived, the feature to rollback into previous windows installation has been removed.

Best thing you can do is to have the Previous windows installer disk and install as you want to have a new OS. Not sure if you can delete W10 though but should be can.

No, atleast internally. Since Windows 10.1 arrived, the feature to rollback into previous windows installation has been removed.

Best thing you can do is to have the Previous windows installer disk and install as you want to have a new OS. Not sure if you can delete W10 though but should be can.

No I meant if you fresh installed Windows 7/8.1 again with a disk Microsoft still have the activated licence for your machine on their database. So in theory you could go back any time in the future (but you would have to fresh install).

Key word in my post highlighted below:
Follow your skepticism and you'll always come with worst possible scenario.

Enterprise users were never objected for free upgrade in the first place. Its even on the upgrade terms below the Upgrade page:
Some editions are excluded: Windows 7 Enterprise, Windows 8/8.1 Enterprise, and Windows RT/RT 8.1. Active Software Assurance customers in volume licensing have the benefit to upgrade to Windows 10 enterprise offerings outside of this offer. To check for compatibility and other important installation information, visit your device manufacturer’s website and the Windows 10 Specifications page.

You can try for free Windows 10 Enterprise free for first 90 days right here. In order to even get the Enterprise versions in the first place, you need a Microsoft Volume Licensing programs. Its hard to sign up for one as you need to contact the Microsoft directly first. The name itself should give you clue of what kind of customers will be using this version. Noteworthy that one key means for whole office/enterprises.

You just felt into headline trap. The Enterprise version is always be subscription based in the first place, be it annually or monthly. Microsoft just recently announce the price for the 10 version.

Wait until that automatic update turns all the spying stuff back on or breaks something. Happened to me. I was able to get it working again, but never had that issue in Linux. Linux doesn't spy on you either.

Since ive upgraded it. Never been turned back on lol.

@Saidur_Ali Have you got all of them in a circle round you on a desk and clicking to the next step on each one? :lol:
Haven't started yet. Need to backup some of the computers, install original OS on quite a number of them and also find a few of them which I haven't used in years. Should be fun. :dopey: Currently looking at quickest way of updating. Made a list of numbers of computers (Only 2 are Desktop) that need updating by Intel Codenames (Procrastination ;)):

1xSkylake
5xHaswell (Would have been 7 but updated two of them already)
3xIvy Bridge
2xSandy Bridge
2xArrandale
1xWolfdale

Yes in 7, not sure it's as bad as 10 though. XP don't know.

http://thehackernews.com/2015/08/windows-spying-on-you.html
Stupid question, but do they track my notepad, snipping tool, paint activities? Also besides being tracked by Google, my Chrome activity is also tracked too by Microsoft?

Also I wonder how much Android and modern phone companies spy on people, for example apps like notes and take screenshot button. Especially 5.0.1.

Is it really that extreme?

Do Windows 7 and XP spy on you?

Windows 7 did some tracking but no where near the extent 10 does because there was nothing on the OS to really spy on. 7 was designed as a very much an offline OS because at the time it was a world where many people still didn't have reliable high speed broadband. Having said on this there were articles rumouring that MS was bringing more spying to Windows 7 for the people who choose not to upgrade through Windows Update :ill:

Windows 10 is built for a permanently connected world, with so much of the OS talking to the web they have much more scope to monitor what you do. I like to compare Windows 10 to a website more than an OS. That's why MS wants to dub it as 'Windows as a Service'.

That's why MS wants to dub it as 'Windows as a Service'.
Indeed, and you can charge for 'services' rather than just sell a product once and not make any more money.

Tinfoil hat speaking here, but I have never trusted their 'free' upgrade. They are holding some nasty stuff behind for sure IMO, and they will wait until everyone has upgraded and depends on W10 before they reveal what they had up their sleeves.

Windows 7 did some tracking but no where near the extent 10 does because there was nothing on the OS to really spy on. 7 was designed as a very much an offline OS because at the time it was a world where many people still didn't have reliable high speed broadband. Having said on this there were articles rumouring that MS was bringing more spying to Windows 7 for the people who choose not to upgrade through Windows Update :ill:

Windows 10 is built for a permanently connected world, with so much of the OS talking to the web they have much more scope to monitor what you do. I like to compare Windows 10 to a website more than an OS. That's why MS wants to dub it as 'Windows as a Service'.
Poor windows 7. Leave it alone you Microsoft bastards. By far the best OS for masses. Luckily it can be turned off.

Indeed, and you can charge for 'services' rather than just sell a product once and not make any more money.

Tinfoil hat speaking here, but I have never trusted their 'free' upgrade. They are holding some nasty stuff behind for sure IMO, and they will wait until everyone has upgraded and depends on W10 before they reveal what they had up their sleeves.
Agreed on the "tinfoil hat" part, but that's exactly what I see happening as well. Note that it's entirely consistent with their track record.

Poor windows 7. Leave it alone you Microsoft bastards. By far the best OS for masses. Luckily it can be turned off.

The good thing with Windows 7 is that you can select what KB updates you want or switch off Windows Update completely. Here is the article about the KB updates which brought 10's spyware to 7 & 8....

http://arstechnica.com/information-...ccused-of-adding-spy-features-to-windows-7-8/

With 10 you have no control over automatic updates unless you use the group policy editor in Pro to trick the system into thinking you are on a network administrated computer but even then you still can't choose what to not install.

I understand that this is all a bit tin foil hat but privacy and the right to choose should not be something you should be willing to frivolously give away.

I have been making a custom win7 image and I integrated over 190 update packages into the image.
Had to go through a fresh windows updates list, hide the spy/win10 updates and download all of them.

Being an Insider is fun :P Got an email for the One Year Anniversary of Windows 10. Got this gem and some wallpapers.
Windows10-Anniversary-Ninjacat-compressor.gif

I made the jump to Win10 tonight from 7, can't say I'm overly thrilled with it but it's not awful. I think when I build my new rig I might step back down to 7 since I know the ins and outs of it pretty well.

W10 sucks sooo bad. There is nothing wrong with W7 other than the 4GB memory limit on the Home Premium version.

Use x64.
Your key will work on the x64 version

I ran a laptop with 8GB fine, the limit for HP x64 is 16GiB.
If 16GiB is not enough go for Win7 Pro or Win7 Ultimate so you can go for 192GiB

So a windows update has come and gone and now it's loading up a recovery disc option instead of windows.
Any idea on what should be done?

Back