Windows... 10?!?

• Thread starter Xilor
  • 1,473 comments
Microsoft has released it's plan for Windows 7 and 8.1 updates... make them like Windows 10...

They will no longer let you choose specific KB updates, it will be a bundled pack each month and they won't tell you what inside. So its an all or nothing approach only one step better than the forced auto updates on 10.

Yet again, "simpler" really means less choice!

http://www.forbes.com/sites/gordonk...ws-7-and-windows-8-given-windows-10-upgrades/
Can i file a restraining order already? :dopey:
Bastards. No more window updates for me then come October, i don't want them to decide 'what's good for me'.

Microsoft has released it's plan for Windows 7 and 8.1 updates... make them like Windows 10...

They will no longer let you choose specific KB updates, it will be a bundled pack each month and they won't tell you what inside. So its an all or nothing approach only one step better than the forced auto updates on 10.

Yet again, "simpler" really means less choice!

http://www.forbes.com/sites/gordonk...ws-7-and-windows-8-given-windows-10-upgrades/

Gah,

I had one of their KB updates take down my machine and had to uninstall updates and delete it from the list to get the machine working again. Guess that flexibility is out the window.

Soooo a funny thing happened....My copy of Windows 10 Pro said it wasn't genuine anymore, so I looked at my Windows 7 Pro Product Key and put that in. Now once that happened it happily activated itself again. Now it shows its own message saying it's activated with a Digital Licence connected to my account. Not sure if I should be happy or something else :lol:

Soooo a funny thing happened....My copy of Windows 10 Pro said it wasn't genuine anymore, so I looked at my Windows 7 Pro Product Key and put that in. Now once that happened it happily activated itself again. Now it shows its own message saying it's activated with a Digital Licence connected to my account. Not sure if I should be happy or something else :lol:
Is that PC upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 10? If so it basically can.

Also can I bet that the W10 you owned isnt.... genuine?

Is that PC upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 10? If so it basically can.

Also can I bet that the W10 you owned isnt.... genuine?
It was before, then I switched laptops in May, but I didn't do a fresh install. I just took the old hard drive out and put in my new one. So I'm guessing this is what happened: Windows senses that this isn't the Dell Vostro 1014, but it has that hard drive with it's details in another machine. Deactivates itself and tells me to activate. So I grab the new laptops code (Thinkpad X220) and it magically activates knowing its on the right hardware again. Wonderful isn't it? :dopey:

It was before, then I switched laptops in May, but I didn't do a fresh install. I just took the old hard drive out and put in my new one. So I'm guessing this is what happened: Windows senses that this isn't the Dell Vostro 1014, but it has that hard drive with it's details in another machine. Deactivates itself and tells me to activate. So I grab the new laptops code (Thinkpad X220) and it magically activates knowing its on the right hardware again. Wonderful isn't it? :dopey:
Yeee :)

But if my mind isn't mistaken there's a previous windows update (not sure which exactly) that makes the Windows Activation Code no longer tied into the system hardware and now on your Microsoft Account. I think that's why.

Yeee :)

But if my mind isn't mistaken there's a previous windows update (not sure which exactly) that makes the Windows Activation Code no longer tied into the system hardware and now on your Microsoft Account. I think that's why.

Only if your using a Microsoft Account and not a local one.

Pretty basic Bash for Windows question. I know that command line linux apps work fine in Bash for Windows, but my question is, where in Windows does everything install/download to? For example, I used youtube-dl to download a 25 minute video because my usual program had a stick up its butt and had to update, but I can't locate anywhere where the resulting file went after I downloaded it.

Pretty basic Bash for Windows question. I know that command line linux apps work fine in Bash for Windows, but my question is, where in Windows does everything install/download to? For example, I used youtube-dl to download a 25 minute video because my usual program had a stick up its butt and had to update, but I can't locate anywhere where the resulting file went after I downloaded it.

Dont run 10 but iIWould assume
C:\users\%UserProfile%\Downloads\
C:\
C:\users\Public\Videos
C:\Users\Public\Downloads

Search for the file name.

Use an asterisk as the extension as it could be .webm, .mp4. m4v, gp3, flv

Dont run 10 but iIWould assume
C:\users\%UserProfile%\Downloads\
C:\
C:\users\Public\Videos
C:\Users\Public\Downloads

Search for the file name.

Use an asterisk as the extension as it could be .webm, .mp4. m4v, gp3, flv
I figured it out. It turns out that the folder that you needed to access is a "protected system folder" and I had to do something in the control panel to change it.

I figured it out. It turns out that the folder that you needed to access is a "protected system folder" and I had to do something in the control panel to change it.
I see. You choose to open it straight instead of save.

Its under C:/Windows but the path is quite complicated.

I see. You choose to open it straight instead of save.

Its under C:/Windows but the path is quite complicated.
No. Windows classified the folder (c:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Local\lxss) in question as a system folder for some unknown reason. So not only did I have to check the option to show hidden files and folders (which I needed to get the AppData folder to show), but I had to uncheck the hide protected system files and folders option to get the rest of it to appear.

I decided to download Forza for the PC. Now I have to sign in to my Microsoft account to log in to Windows. :grumpy:

Had the same thing recently, it automatically changes to your Microsoft account once you've logged in to the Store.
Quite annoying, but you can easily change it back like shown here.

Well at least now MS is going to pay you for the spying they do and for the misery of having to use the Edge browser :lol:

chrome_2016-09-12_17-49-37-1024x383.jpg

I was gonna set up a dual boot Win7/Win10 if that was possible but with the news of MS forcing updates in Win7/8.1 and Win10 deleting other operating systems installed on the computer it looks like I don't much of a choice..

Only reason I was thinking of installing Win10 to begin with is for Forza Horizon 3.

I'm so done with Microsoft. My next computer will run Linux with a VM. I'm one of those people who have been saying it for years and never followed through, but the BS they're up to now is untenable.

"Bing must be set as your default search engine on Microsoft Edge... "

How desperate are you, Microsoft?!

Hey, as long as Edge doesn't need to be your default browser...

Microsoft: "Hey, that's a good idea! Let's require that too!"

I did the math, and if you're consistent with it... you can rack up enough points to get $60 worth of gift cards in about 6 months.

Not a terrible deal, since it only requires 5 minutes of "work" (i.e. spamming bing with searches) each day and some light 3Edgy5Me browsing over the course of each month.

Two full-price retail games a year, effectively for free? Sure why not. And if you can catch them on sale, even better.

Last edited:
@Lain How did you calculate it? I read somewhere it works out at 15 Cents for 30 hours a month! So over a year you might get a free Starbucks coffee!

If you're just doing browsing, yeah... 150 points per month is a joke. It's 10000 points to get a $10 gift card, so 150 points does work out to 15 cents.

The Bing searches are much more lucrative though, since you can get up to 250 points per day.

The daily offers, which are stupid easy, can add even more points. Today I was able to get 320 points from them, though that might just because I was just starting... so they may not always be that "lucrative".

But if the daily offers do consistenly pay that many points, combined with the Bing searches and the browsing... you'd be looking at getting a $10 gift card every two and a half weeks.

Second day of doing it and I'm up to 1115 points, 11.15% of the way to a 10 dollar gift card.

I finally bit the bullet and upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 10. What I thought would be easy-peasy turned out to be a giant pain in my rear end to the point where I wiped my SSD and fresh-installed.

EDIT: Nevermind, I'm *still* having issues.

Last edited:
Back