Windows... 10?!?

• Thread starter Xilor
  • 1,473 comments
By the way, I only know of a Vivaldi as Vivaldi Entertainment, which I think was the publisher for NASCAR Racing 2003 Season when I checked on Amazon once. Now I know Vivaldi for this new-age Opera browser.

Think you're thinking of Vivendi :lol:

i've been using Vivaldi since they first commented on the Opera forums about they've got a new browser out [amazingly cheap and effective marketing] its a great browser to use.

people here might also like the new Brave browser [ https://brave.com/ ] which also is trying some cool new stuff

I really don't mind Windows 10 with a few changes to the privacy settings. I find it hard to believe it's so buggy on a lot of machines still.

Last edited:
Wow, now Microsoft is starting to advertise in Explorer.... :lol:

upload_2017-3-10_0-28-5.png

Is nothing sacred anymore! :lol: There's a reason 10 was free...

Just use CCleaner and remove One Drive if you don't want or need it. I used it to remove that and a few other programs I didn't need (Skype Preview). I do like Windows 10 more than 7 or 8.1. I like Linux even more, but sadly Linux doesn't do everything Windows 10 can.

My Windows 10 keeps producing pop-up ads abour Edge every time I launch Chrome. Like, seriously...It's reading what programs I have open.

Sounds like a virus.
It isn't. It's like a small window that comes out of the Edge icon on my taskbar that says stuff like "Did you know? Edge beat Chrome on its own (something rules)."

It's definitely Edge producing them. I'll throw up a screengrab if I can catch it.

It isn't. It's like a small window that comes out of the Edge icon on my taskbar that says stuff like "Did you know? Edge beat Chrome on its own (something rules)."

It's definitely Edge producing them. I'll throw up a screengrab if I can catch it.
I've never seen this myself. A screenshot would be helpful. (If it is something that MS is doing then that's a pretty interesting way they're doing it.)

While I was able to uninstall the pre-installed apps on my PC fairly easily, I found my laptop sneakily trying to redownload the apps on its own. Maybe the advertising/bloatware varies between self-built and prebuilt PC's?

ive been thinking about ditching Windows on my gaming PC. i might loose half my games, but, i prefer Linux, and if i did i might start using it more than i do at the moment

Still another reason why I want nothing to do with Windows 10. Not that I needed another one.
Glad I'm still on Windows 7: Ultimate Edition as of now. I may not have newer games, but still. At least I don't get those adverts.

Glad I'm still on Windows 7: Ultimate Edition as of now. I may not have newer games, but still. At least I don't get those adverts.
Yet, lol. It wouldn't surprise me if M$oft backported the ads, much like they did with a lot of the spyware, to 7/8/8.1. Which is a big reason why I have updates disabled on my Win7 box. I feel the biggest security threat to my winbox is from Microsoft.

Same, I have yet to see any ads on either of my Win 10 machines. But then Win 10 has mostly been trouble free, though I did have to do some tricks to control Windows Update. I don't need that mess restarting my computers when it wants to and not when I want to.

Last edited:

Same here, I got my copy of ultimate for free and it is not a torret free, but from microsoft.
And I am sure some newer games can run in DX11 mode, not really smart to ignore 40% of a user base or people with older hardware that could still run it.

If I were you, I would just keep a VM of Windows 7 or Windows 8.1 around for specific Windows-only tasks you need to complete. Linux Mint can do most of what Windows can either with Linux-only apps or with Crossover/WINE. If it wasn't for all of the privacy issues, Windows 10 is actually not a bad operating system.

Last edited:
Microsoft has released it's plan for Windows 7 and 8.1 updates... make them like Windows 10...

They will no longer let you choose specific KB updates, it will be a bundled pack each month and they won't tell you what inside. So its an all or nothing approach only one step better than the forced auto updates on 10.

Yet again, "simpler" really means less choice!

http://www.forbes.com/sites/gordonk...ws-7-and-windows-8-given-windows-10-upgrades/

I have all the Windows updates turned off on my Windows 7. I did once turn the updates on but it got stuck in loading so I turned it back off hopefully updates are broken.

I have all the Windows updates turned off on my Windows 7. I did once turn the updates on but it got stuck in loading so I turned it back off hopefully updates are broken.

A few months ago Microsoft did something funny with Windows 7's update system. It's now totally broken and freezes with high CPU for hours trying to find and download updates. It's a well documented issue with lots of people having the same problem. I think they messed up the server end when providing updates for Windows 10 and it broke 7.

A few months ago Microsoft did something funny with Windows 7's update system. It's now totally broken and freezes with high CPU for hours trying to find and download updates. It's a well documented issue with lots of people having the same problem. I think they messed up the server end when providing updates for Windows 10 and it broke 7.

Well my laptop is 6 years old now and the battery doesn't work its bit slow to start and I can't really buy another one without wasting money and I don't use it much for gaming. So if it fails I think I will just use my mobile phone for everything almost a app for everything. I don't like where Microsoft is going and they look like they want a subscription service and I think they want to replace steam and I do not like the idea of auto update. I think my only choice is to ditch windows.

Back