Witcher 3

It's found on a body on a riverbank close by, this key opens another box close to the body and has another key inside this (I think) this then opens the chest close to the windmill underground.

The windmill can't be opened.

Nooo I need help yet again, pleaseee someone listen to my new problem I have.

Thanks although shortly after posting I figured this out and found the key in the riverbank. But after I progressed so far and realized I had the diagrams for the serpentine steel and silver sword and interrogation report I realized i couldn't make them because I had no emerald dust. I'd killed all the wraiths and none of them dropped any emerald dust, just my luck.

So now I've had to delete some saves and start from before the devil by the well all over again. I have so far completed devil by the well and collected emerald dust which she didn't drop last time round. I've completed Twisted firestarter, A frying pan, spick and span, Precious cargo, Missing in action, termian valuables which is level 4 even though I'm at level 2 I have the dorian sword diagram, serpentine steel sword diagram and the interrogation report.

Now Ive activated the Scavenger Hunt for the Viper School Gear but thats a level 6 and I'm only at level 2. My problem is I need one more emerald dust but every time I try to fight the two wraiths at the cemetery, one by the place of power and the one inside they just will not drop emerald dust for me. I keep reloading and my silver sword is 100% repaired and it has sceptre oil on it. I''m using Yrden, but I keep reloading the game save and still can not get the wraiths to drop emerald dust. Why won't they drop me some emerald dust?? is it because they are a level 7 ? and I'm not at high enough level to defeat them properly to get emerald dust?? All i want is them to drop emerald dust so I can go on complete other quests and create the serpentine swords when I find the silver sword diagram.

The wraiths won't drop me my emerald dust I need. Should I just complete everything else and come back to the cemetery later to fight them??????

The wraiths won't drop me my emerald dust I need. Should I just complete everything else and come back to the cemetery later to fight them??????

That's what I would do. You might get it somewhere along the way, or pick up some better equipment.

There's a blacksmith in the Nilfgardian garrison that sells Emerald Dust. It's expensive, but it's easier to get some gold than to do the same fight over and over.

That said, just move on. You'll be able to get the Griffin swords soon enough. And those aren't as demanding, material wise but will last you considerably longer (in terms of play time) than the Viper swords. They're really not worth the hassle.

Another thing: If you've got to pick, always prioritize upgrading your silver sword. Made the mistake of favouring steel once - monsters are considerably more frequent and dangerous foes, at least in Velen :indiff:

For what it's worth, if you do the Cat School Gear Quest, you end up with a sword that is much better than the Griffin sword. I would still do it for the experience and "other" reasons, but by the time I did the Griffin quest, the gear was worthless to me.

Just a thought.

Hm, I found d the first piece of griffin gear at around level 6 or something. I'm 14 now and the griffin gear has been serving me for quite a few levels already.

Got lucky, I suppose. Then again, I do explore the map a lot 👍

Ok guys. Thanks for the advice. I still have a few questions. Heres where I am so far. Still in White Orchard! I completed all the quests and ? marks in White Orchard, the places of power, the bandit camps, and I thought I'd completed all the hidden treasures. Theres one abandoned site I still need to complete. Theres the cemetery and another ? above the cemetery one still not done, spoils of war has been discovered, smugglers cache has been done. Dirty Funds was the last one I just completed.

The weird things is why can't I find the Desserted treasure one. It doesn't show up in my Quests Treasure sub menu, neither does smugglers cache. After exploring the Royal griffin remains and burning the monster nest. Exploring the Royal Griffin has boosted me to level 3. All that is showing in the treasure menu is Scavenger Hunt Viper School Gear, but is this worth doing if its level 6 and I'm at level 3 now??? And how do I enable the Desserted treasure??

The two treasure icons just above and to the right of the mill on the map are greyed out but still have as whiter exclamation mark even though I've been to them and done them. Does this mean anything?

As for crafting I have the ingredients and diagrams for Cidarian gambeson, Skellige gambeson, the diagram for Warriors leather jacket but i just miss the wire ingredient for it. I also have the diagram for the Gven'nel Silver Sword. Are any of these worth crafting over my standard clothes or swords???? Also are the dorian sword 28-34, velen longsword 31-39 and the maribor steel swords worth using over my standard witcher steel sword???? and does it matter if they don't have armor piercing over my witcher steel sword???

Well after looking and looking and thinking about the swords for a while I decided to use the Vicavaro steel sword as its higher damage rate 29-35 and has higher armor piercing of +36 but it also has +4 chance to poison where as my standard witcher steel sword and the other steel swords don't have the same attributes.

Last edited:
That ? above the church threw me. Took me a while to figure out how to get to it! You'll need you Witcher sense and that Telekinetic Sign.

I seem to be playing the game in phases with a fairly long break each time I die (this on Easy!). I'm currently underground, following Keira Metz. At least next time I load I can make sure I collect all the loot!

Another thing: If you've got to pick, always prioritize upgrading your silver sword. Made the mistake of favouring steel once - monsters are considerably more frequent and dangerous foes, at least in Velen :indiff:

The other thing is the trophy. I though it was nice to have the +5% XP trophy for humans and nonhumans. I only realized it wasn't as good as I thought when I got the +5% for monsters trophy.

Hm, I found d the first piece of griffin gear at around level 6 or something. I'm 14 now and the griffin gear has been serving me for quite a few levels already.

Got lucky, I suppose. Then again, I do explore the map a lot 👍

I gathered all the diagrams for the Griffin gear around level 11-12. But at this/that point, I already have equipment that's better than anything the Griffin gear has. Plus since my build and playstyle is more geared towards light gear, the cat gear would have been worth the wait anyway.

I'm not too fussed about gear as such. I have the diagrams for the Cat school gear but like @ROAD_DOGG33J I'm already sitting on some stuff which is better.

My only tip would be don't worry about crafting gear until you a. Have enough coin and b. Have the diagrams. If you're a trophy hunter then it's worth getting a matching set just for the "Armed & Dangerous" trophy.

Witcher gear is all well and good but some other stuff is better.

I have to say increasing the Aard sign intensity with the viper silver sword and using my level 2 gambeson this sword kills griffins easy peasy I can't believe how easy it was.

Should I get rid the standard witcher swords you start the game with? Because I now own the magic items Viper swords. But I also have now come into possession of the Moonblade sword and the Disglair silver swords. The moonblade sword is -12 over my viper sword but it has lot of add ons. The Disglair deals 123-151 +12 over my viper sword but it only has +36 armor piercing and no add ons. Is it worth using these over my viper silver sword?

I'm trying to get rid of equipment i don't need and keep to a minimum otherwise Geralt is overburdened and I can't run anywhere. Will these places of shops or merchants you sell to keep your items in case you wan to go back and re purchase them later?

Last edited:
At least when you are over-burdened, you can use your horse to get to the nearest signpost and then use Fast Travel (an improvement over Skyrim).

@wraith of horus from what I know (haven't tried it myself) if you want to keep the swords and other items but don't want to carry them with you. You can drop the items at a place of your choosing and they will stay there throughout the game.

I personally sold mine along with a ton of other loot.

For those that are further up the game than me, what would your advice be, sell the sellable stuff or break them down to get more materials ? or is there some that I need to break because they give stuff that it will be hard to find otherwise ?

For those that are further up the game than me, what would your advice be, sell the sellable stuff or break them down to get more materials ? or is there some that I need to break because they give stuff that it will be hard to find otherwise ?

I personally haven't had the need to break things down much. What I've found is if you want to craft something then you can just head out into the wild and find it.

I tend to sell weapons. If I want to craft a new piece of armour, and don't have the resources, I can usually find enough to dismantle to get it crafted.

Okay, so CDPR is taking their sweet time fixing the XP bug. Which sucks, because it's gamebreaking. I'm among the unfortunate ones to have been afflicted with it (well, duh, no surprises there :lol:), but there's an easily installed mod that fixes it. Just in case someone else needs a solution quickly. You only get around 80% of the amount of the XP you should be getting with the mods standard setting, but this mod also grants XP for grey quests (which should not give any XP), so it evens out. Kinda. You can also change the level values added for the quests in the mod's file manually to be around your level to get full XP. Not that hard, either 👍
I rarely worry about materials. I'm snatching everything that's not bolted down and have a huge load of everything in my inventory. But since I sell weapons and armour to smiths, I tend to just look at what I'd get from dismantling them. Id there's something to be gained that strikes me as super rare or important, I'll dismantle. Most of the time, you can just sell additional gear. Even Relicts.

Then again, money ain't rare, either :lol: I'm level 15, already bought one potion of clearance and am still sitting on almost 8,000 crowns. Don't know what to spend it on, either, as the good gear is either found or crafted :indiff:

I'm at level 6 and I had nearly 800 coins. Through crafting materials, buying new armor and weapons from armorers and blacksmiths and buying emerald dust etc.. My money went down. Its now 270 coins.

Last edited:
I'm at level 6 and I had nearly 800 coins. Through crafting materials, buying new armor and weapons from armorers and blacksmiths and buying emerald dust etc.. My money went down. Its now 270 coins.
Well... The Emerald Dust is like 550 crowns, so that's to be expected :D

Okay, so CDPR is taking their sweet time fixing the XP bug. Which sucks, because it's gamebreaking. I'm among the unfortunate ones to have been afflicted with it (well, duh, no surprises there :lol:), but there's an easily installed mod that fixes it. Just in case someone else needs a solution quickly. You only get around 80% of the amount of the XP you should be getting with the mods standard setting, but this mod also grants XP for grey quests (which should not give any XP), so it evens out. Kinda. You can also change the level values added for the quests in the mod's file manually to be around your level to get full XP. Not that hard, either 👍

I rarely worry about materials. I'm snatching everything that's not bolted down and have a huge load of everything in my inventory. But since I sell weapons and armour to smiths, I tend to just look at what I'd get from dismantling them. Id there's something to be gained that strikes me as super rare or important, I'll dismantle. Most of the time, you can just sell additional gear. Even Relicts.

Then again, money ain't rare, either :lol: I'm level 15, already bought one potion of clearance and am still sitting on almost 8,000 crowns. Don't know what to spend it on, either, as the good gear is either found or crafted :indiff:

Yeah, their priority should have been to release a hotfix to fix the XP bug and the Pyres of Novigrad bug. The Novigrad bug seems to be a bigger issue to me, as it actually prevents people from finishing the main portion of the game. I was doing other stuff, but I might venture on to see if I get stuck on that quest.

The money issue seems to be the same as Elder Scrolls. You start out the game with nothing, and loot everything. But after a while, you don't really have to worry about it. It doesn't help that the crafted gear seems to be pretty cheap to make. They should have allowed you to buy some safe-houses and to pimp them out.

Found a diagram for this beast.

image.jpg

I found that a while ago in white orchard I think. Bit of a troll item considering you get it at the start of the game and its a crazy high level. I have currently got 30 hours on my save and I'm level 14 lol.

It turned up in a hidden treasure ? For me in vellan. I agree about the game trolling with items and enemies way above your Lvl. I met a water hag which had the red scull and ?? Above it. I couldn't make a scratch and it one hit kills me. :D

Got that sword as well... And holy crap, just realised I've got about 75 hours in it by now. And I'm just lvl15 :lol: spend too much time playing Gwent...

It turned up in a hidden treasure ? For me in vellan. I agree about the game trolling with items and enemies way above your Lvl. I met a water hag which had the red scull and ?? Above it. I couldn't make a scratch and it one hit kills me. :D
Yes hidden treasure not sure could have been vellan but I got it after only a few hours play time. I had a similar run in with a dragon like think at a ? Managed to get away with my life lol.

It's a Gryffin or its nest. I ran into one earlier. It's possible there was one flying around close by or eating something in the forest.

There was a griffin nearby, so I guess you're right. Can you do anything to the nests?

It's a Gryffin or its nest. I ran into one earlier. It's possible there was one flying around close by or eating something in the forest.
Didn't know those were Griffins :embarrassed:

So they got a special marker, huh? Good to know! I've been going around the area time and time again in an attempt to find something...

There was a griffin nearby, so I guess you're right. Can you do anything to the nests?

That I'm not sure of. It's possible it could be like a monster nest. There could be dead bodies there with loot etc. I'm yet to venture close to one.

Back