Words I Hate

• Thread starter Liquid
  • 1,242 comments
Extraordinary.

Mainly because when you take apart the word into extra and ordinary. Sounds like more ordinary but apparently it means the opposite.

I've heard it coupled to the word meeting, mostly in F1 concerning regulation changes.

What's so "extraordinary" about the meeting? Is it being held on the moon?

Extraordinary.

Mainly because when you take apart the word into extra and ordinary. Sounds like more ordinary but apparently it means the opposite.

Someone feel free to correct, but I'm fairly certain that its just a different use of extra in this case. Its not more or very, rather beyond. Like extraterrestrial. Its "beyond this world", rather than "very from this world"

Someone feel free to correct, but I'm fairly certain that its just a different use of extra in this case. Its not more or very, rather beyond. Like extraterrestrial. Its "beyond this world", rather than "very from this world"
I personally don't know, looked at the definition of extra and doesn't seem into imply it as it just seems to imply more of. There might be something I'm missing, but for all I know it doesn't make any sense.

I've heard it coupled to the word meeting, mostly in F1 concerning regulation changes.

What's so "extraordinary" about the meeting? Is it being held on the moon?

It's not a regular, scheduled meeting therefore it is out of the ordinary routine, thus making it extraordinary.

IMO

Especially in discussions in motorsport threads or comment sections. This acronym supposedly means "In my opinion", but usually ends up meaning "I'm talking crap and what I've just written is clearly wrong and written without paying any attention to facts"

Mac, particularly when used as being short for Macintosh or macaroni.
Mack, which in US slang I believe means either snogging someone or leering at someone.

It just isn't a phonaesthetic word. Even the Slovak word mak, which means 'poppy', irritates me just a little.

Mac, particularly when used as being short for Macintosh or macaroni.
Mack, which in US slang I believe means either snogging someone or leering at someone.

It just isn't a phonaesthetic word. Even the Slovak word mak, which means 'poppy', irritates me just a little.
This.

It's Macaroni Cheese, not Mac 'n' Cheese.

You can always call it hook-and-loop - that's the generic term for the technology. Velcro is a brand.

Just like thermos, tannoy, scotch tape, hoover, astroturf, band-aid, dumpster, filofax, JCB, mace spray, scalextric, tylenol, xerox, taser and, formerly, aspirin, kerosene, heroin and teleprompter,

Last edited:
Destroy and Wreck.

How overused and exaggerated it is. Especially on social media when you see videos with descriptions like "This guy totally destroys this hipster's argument!" or "Watch this skateboarder wreck a Lamborghini by riding on top of it!"

Justice

People (not all though) who claim to fight for any form of justice end up being just as bad as the people they're fighting nowadays. I don't want either to win in the end :boggled:

Not so much "hate" as "think it sounds weird", but "Happy Christmas" when it's in place of "Merry Christmas". I feel like I'm experiencing the Mandela Effect whenever I hear "Happy" instead of "Merry", it just doesn't roll off the tongue as well.

I think I can pinpoint it to Guinness's Christmas ad, where a woman whispers "Happy Christmas" at the end, and I just feel something creeping in my ear as she does it.

DK
Not so much "hate" as "think it sounds weird", but "Happy Christmas" when it's in place of "Merry Christmas". I feel like I'm experiencing the Mandela Effect whenever I hear "Happy" instead of "Merry", it just doesn't roll off the tongue as well.

I think I can pinpoint it to Guinness's Christmas ad, where a woman whispers "Happy Christmas" at the end, and I just feel something creeping in my ear as she does it.

The most famous Happy Christmas in Britain:

Back