Words I Hate

• Thread starter Liquid
  • 1,242 comments
Disinterested - when used in place of uninterested. They mean different 🤬 things. :banghead::banghead::banghead:

When I see "disinterested" in print now I can't always be sure which meaning is being attempted to be conveyed.

Disinterested = impartial, no conflict of interests.

Uninterested = not interested.

Mayhaps

A horrible mash-up of maybe and perhaps. It sounds incredibly stupid when you say it and even looks weird to see the word itself.

Discover. I hear it so often these days it's not even funny. It can be in relation to travel, universities, theme parks and movies. Like, discover your true self and discover a world of wonder, which also leads to me to another word that I hate: wonder. If you say, I wonder where my cat has gone, I do not care but if you use it in another context, it kinda sounds stupid.

Calamity.
I just don't like the way this word sounds and it's also kind of hard to say sometimes without mispronouncing it. When I was in elementary school, I knew an educational PS1 game once (Yes they do exist) that went by this name and long story short, it was very boring, I hated playing it and I was forced to play it pretty often. I never really heard the term much unless it was referring to that game (Which I dreaded playing) and nowadays I think that may have been where I originally came to dislike this term in the first place.

Last edited:
Prodigy - love the band, always have a hard time getting that word out though.

Tragedy - for the same reason as above.

I seem to have slight oral dislexia if that’s a thing; I mix up the ‘g’ and the ‘d’ in those words meaning I have to say them really slowly so as to think carefully about the prounounciation which completely ruins the flow of my conversation.

"Tekkers", brought to you by the same sort of gits who need to use "cheeky" to describe fast food, choose their gambling shop/site purely based on marketing and keep WKD above water.

It's an English slang term, I came across it watching YouTube football/soccer channels like ArsenalFanTV and Copa 90 and it just grated from the start. I had a quick google and it seems that it gained traction on Sky Sports' "Soccer AM". :rolleyes:

DK
It's an English slang term, I came across it watching YouTube football/soccer channels like ArsenalFanTV and Copa 90 and it just grated from the start. I had a quick google and it seems that it gained traction on Sky Sports' "Soccer AM". :rolleyes:

I was under the impression that it's how Scouse people say technique (in that way of talking there are weird shortened slang words like leggers and penno round my way) but its spread through Soccer AM and cringe football comedy just makes it awful and unbearable.

I don't know why I hate it, but the word "Bittersweet" is horrible for me. I dislike it intensely for reasons I don't know.

Smart.

If only for its over usage in preceding objects. Phone, TV, toothbrush, bed, watch, keys etc.

I agree with this one. Things are becoming “smart” that have no place being even digital - it’s like even the most mundane objects are now ‘i-‘ something.

Hack just feels overused with social media....and all those buzzfeed articles. Life "hacks" and people getting "hacked" by leaving their Facebook account logged in on a computer, so another person posts on their account as "hacked."

*clears throat*

"Hack" is much overused as of late. There are perfectly acceptable uses, of course, but I'm getting tired of hearing it preceded by "life." Even without that word used first, the implication is apparent.
Oops.

:P

"Hurtful" is my most recent pet peeve. It's just such a weak word, like the weakest thing you could possibly say if something offends you. And it indescribably pisses me off.

"wonderful" as pronounced by one of my coworker... she over use it for EVERYTHING and she says it with a weird intonation/accent...
My ears bleed everytime i hear it from her...

Bullets.
As a Nerfer, I have begun to dislike this word mainly because people often refer to Nerf darts as "bullets", when they're not. Even worse, I have seen some people refer to other types of Nerf ammunition, namely Vortex discs, as bullets when they're no where close to them. It don't help that my family deliberately calls them bullets just to annoy me, I mean I know they're joking, but it gets old after a while.

Now to be fair, I can easily see why people would call them bullets, especially when they're new to Nerf. If it's just once that's not bad, but when it's constantly misused, it gets kind of annoying. They're called darts, not bullets!

Back