Words I Hate

• Thread starter Liquid
  • 1,242 comments
Soon.

Every single time developers of hardware and software get my hopes up and crush it again by saying it will be released soon.

Clickbait.
Simply put, it just seems like everyone has their own definition of the word and no one can really settle on just one. It makes me hesitate to even use it outside of posts like this.

Oftentimes

The addiction of “times” seems completely redundant when often is an indicator of frequency related to time.
I don’t know where it came from or when I first heard it. I may have even used it myself a few times. But I hate it.

Take the thing that is widely accepted as bad and attribute it to that which you don't like in an attempt to coerce people who are either incapable of or unwilling to think critically into accepting that which you don't like as bad.

Take the thing that is widely accepted as bad and attribute it to that which you don't like in an attempt to coerce people who are either incapable of or unwilling to think critically into accepting that which you don't like as bad.
Don't be such a Godfather Part III.

Thunderbolt

Now don't get me wrong. I actually love the word thunderbolt; it would be such a good name for a car and I'm surprised that a 100 unit, extremely limited-production of the 1964 Ford Fairlane is the only car I can find to carry that name. The word has such a magnificent presence and an audio satisfaction unlike almost no other. It's one of the very best words in phonaesthetics, euphonics or however you want to describe "words that just sound good".

But... it's lightningbolt. Thunderbolt isn't real. A thunderclap is. It's a bolt of lightning or a clap of thunder. But thunderclap doesn't come anywhere near thunderbolt for aural satisfaction and actually sounds like an extreme form of a sexually transmitted infection.

As a pedant it is extremely frustrating that the coolest word ever is a semantic inexactitude.

Last edited:
As a pedant it is extremely frustrating that the coolest word ever is a sematic inexactitude.
As a pedant, you might like this.

Sematic: Serving as a warning of danger - used of conspicuous colors of a poisonous or noxious animal.

"As I've said before", "As I've been saying for months" and "I've said it before and I'll say it again".

All phrases which appear on live tickers of random people giving their opinions on sporting events as it happens. This phrase is usually said at the start of a big diatribe moaning about someone with an opinion they've just made up, especially as we've never heard them say that before. Stop trying to claim this new kneejerk reaction is something you've known for ages, because there's no evidence of it and it just means we can ignore your opinion.

Super.

When what they really mean is really, especially or particularly. "That was super hard." No, it wasn't.

I need to say a gentle and 100% humourous 🤬 you to @TexRex.

Prior to your post a few months back, I'd honestly never heard somebody mispronounce height as heighth. Now I absolutely cannot unhear it; going back and relistening to a podcast series I like, the main presenter says it over and over and over again. I can't believe I never picked up on it during the preceding 7 years.

Ear cancer.

I need to say a gentle and 100% humourous 🤬 you to @TexRex.

Prior to your post a few months back, I'd honestly never heard somebody mispronounce height as heighth. Now I absolutely cannot unhear it; going back and relistening to a podcast series I like, the main presenter says it over and over and over again. I can't believe I never picked up on it during the preceding 7 years.

Ear cancer.
You're welcome.

That it actually makes sense, what with all the other similar descriptors ending in th (depth, length, width, breadth), seems to only increase the frequency of its use.

That it actually makes sense, what with all the other similar descriptors ending in th (depth, length, width, breadth), seems to only increase the frequency of its use.

True but apart from weight.

And seeing as it's a wrestling podcast, the terms height and weight crops up a lot. Heighth and weight? Oh god, it makes me clutch my fingers so much.

I just hear it everywhere now.

Last edited:
True but apart from weight.

And seeing as it's a wrestling podcast, the terms height and weight crops up a lot. Heighth and weight? Oh god, it makes me clutch my fingers so much.

I just hear it everywhere now.
In the most literal sense, weight is a measure of something very different from the others.

Thunderbolt

Now don't get me wrong. I actually love the word thunderbolt; it would be such a good name for a car and I'm surprised that a 100 unit, extremely limited-production of the 1964 Ford Fairlane is the only car I can find to carry that name. The word has such a magnificent presence and an audio satisfaction unlike almost no other. It's one of the very best words in phonaesthetics, euphonics or however you want to describe "words that just sound good".

But... it's lightningbolt. Thunderbolt isn't real. A thunderclap is. It's a bolt of lightning or a clap of thunder. But thunderclap doesn't come anywhere near thunderbolt for aural satisfaction and actually sounds like an extreme form of a sexually transmitted infection.

As a pedant it is extremely frustrating that the coolest word ever is a semantic inexactitude.

It suits the P-47 Thunderbolt quite well. Bad-ass boom and zoom fighter plane.

It's pretty surprising more cars haven't had that name, come to think of it. Strange...

Last edited:
Thunderbolt

Thunderbolt isn't real.

I took to looking into this a bit more and found esoterica. Apparently it refers to that terrible thing in the hand of Zeus!
Is it symbolism or is it real? Or is it both?

from wikipedia:

Zeus
King of the Gods
God of the sky, lightning, thunder, law, order, justice

Zeus de Smyrne, discovered in Smyrna in 1680[1]

A Tibetan vajra

A thunderbolt or lightning bolt is a symbolic representation of lightning when accompanied by a loud thunderclap. In Indo-European mythology, the thunderbolt was identified with the 'Sky Father'; this association is also found in later Hellenic representations of Zeus and Vedic descriptions of the vajra wielded by the god Indra. It may have been a symbol of cosmic order, as expressed in the fragment from Heraclitus describing "the Thunderbolt that steers the course of all things".[1]

In its original usage the word may also have been a description of the consequences of a close approach between two planetary cosmic bodies, as Plato suggested in Timaeus,[2] or, according to Victor Clube, meteors,[3] though this is not currently the case. As a divine manifestation the thunderbolt has been a powerful symbol throughout history, and has appeared in many mythologies. Drawing from this powerful association, the thunderbolt is often found in military symbolism and semiotic representations of electricity.
Even more fun is had when adding an "s" onto the end. Here we find comic books, music bands, sports teams and more.

IMHO, there is a lot to love about the word Thunderbolt.

Last edited:
"Have sex with" is a terrible, clunky expression and I resent its mainstream status while perfectly functional one-word phrases for the same thing are shunned as bad language.

It really irritates me when the word 'ask', is pronounced as 'aks'! :banghead: It can't really be that hard to say can it! :rolleyes:
As a linguistic tic, it actually can be. It's also not explicitly incorrect and has been used for some 1200 years, or, for a fun comparison, about twice the length of time "hard" has been used in the same context as "difficult."

As a linguistic tic, it actually can be. It's also not explicitly incorrect and has been used for some 1200 years, or, for a fun comparison, about twice the length of time "hard" has been used in the same context as "difficult."
Having just looked into it a bit, and I mean a five minute look into it, ;) it seems it has been a thing for the time you specified as different ways to pronounce the word 'ask', though it seems for the most part the 'ask' pronunciation has become more widespread, though I have only heard 'aks' being used over the last 10 years or so. Apparently there is an ethnic aspect to who mostly uses the 'aks', or 'ax', which I was unaware of, because I think I have seen many different people in the UK using it, mainly younger people it has to be said.

This article from the LA Times briefly cover it for anyone interested.

Doesn't stop it being jarring to my ears though. ;)

Back