Words I Hate

• Thread starter Liquid
  • 1,238 comments
Incorrect spelling of "height".

Blackadder-Confused-Look.gif

In a sporting context, I can't stand the word redemption. What is that even meant to mean? OK, you lost before, you won now? Congrats, you improved/played better.
Sports commentary readily lends itself to repetition, and so they need to come up with more creative ways of responding to things that happen. This is why "throw the ball" becomes "hurl the rock".

Heh.

To be clear, I don't hate the word "heh". Actually, I use it a lot in the context that I have here, which is to express amusement at the above.

:crazy:

None come to mind at the moment, but I've been struck by examples of people having been compelled to verbify words that are already sufficiently verbed.

I'm a minute late to the party here, but I had a high school English teacher say "The beauty of the English language is you can verb nouns and noun verbs and it all still makes sense!"

As is stated above: Hubby is a word that never ever should have been uttered under any circumstances from the beginning to the end of time.

Yes.
All the major media outlets down to local car dealers on the radio are wearing it out.
Stop saying Unprecedented please world.
Such a sweeping effort to remove a word from common use would be...um...you know...the word that...erm...

Jelly

Firsty, you're not jealous, you're envious.

Secondly, just no.

It's so common for people to use jealous in place of envious, I do wonder how that came about.

It's fairly easy, as I've explained to my students before; envy is to want something, jealousy is to have something and fear losing it.

Through the evolution of language.

Meanings change through euphamisms, sarcasm, literalness and a variety of other reasons but often the original meaning usually remains; a cock originally referred to the tap you would insert in a barrel to draw the liquid from within. The penis took on that meaning due to the superficial similarity to a man's genitals hanging below his gut looking like a small tap at the bottom of a barrel (whichever way the barrel is stored).

One of those meanings is far more well known but both are still literally true and correct.

Jealous/envious has no bearing on this. It is simply wrong. They are two linked words that have transitive directions such as borrow/lend and teach/learn. One is outwards from the subject to the object, the other is inwards from the object to the subject.

"I learn the kids PE at the local high school." Do you? Do you really? No, you teach the kids.

Naturally. But there must have been a point where the word was used incorrectly in pop culture or something for it to have come into such common misuse.

Simply, it is education. Native English speakers are taught so little about their own language and how it works. Next to nothing.

So not only do I hate the word jelly but I also really hate its misuse anyway.

658023.jpg

Incorrect spelling of "height".
I always thought heighth was legitimate as in height is how high something is and heighth is how tall something is. Then again I've never written or typed it and seeing it spelled is quite foreign. I will stop using this word.

Why turn my head like a goon when Tyranno-Vision decides what I look at?

I always thought heighth was legitimate as in height is how high something is and heighth is how tall something is. Then again I've never written or typed it and seeing it spelled is quite foreign. I will stop using this word.
"Tallth."

:P

Height refers to both how high and how tall something is.

Jealous/envious has no bearing on this. It is simply wrong. They are two linked words that have transitive directions such as borrow/lend and teach/learn. One is outwards from the subject to the object, the other is inwards from the object to the subject.

"I learn the kids PE at the local high school." Do you? Do you really? No, you teach the kids.
There are examples of changes in use that irk me because I believe them to be wrong. Literally being one in particular, and for some reason disinterested.
I've had to accept them, as the English language is the collection of words & their combinations that are used by its speakers to communicate. Not a set of rules to which we must adhere. If that's how the word is being used, that's what the word means.

I do get what you're saying & understand the annoyance.

Bone stock

When referring to standard or otherwise unmodified production cars or car parts.

Back