Words I Hate

• Thread starter Liquid
  • 1,242 comments
Take this GT40 for instance, if you were to show it to a "common" person and ask them who sponsored the car they would probably give you a blank stare, but I'd imagine most race fans wouldn't even let you finish the question.

UeBn76CdQOtmjfLU0ONQJ1tjNDxW_UxBz0EB8zXmPuGVUUCRm54uW1JlrIKa8La4kikgdysJCFnHm0mlsBRYjiBJ1JTk_7oZS9mMoohEYw

Now that's iconic!

Last edited:
That's the thing with subjective titles, they don't have a set list of requirements (nor should they). Some people may consider the Eclipse to be one of the most iconic cars ever while the GT40 is just some old race car.

Your avatar is perhaps a better example, would you say there are animes that are iconic despite not being as widely known as Dragonball Z?
You're right now the subjectivity of the word, but that kinda goes back to my problem with the word. I just think it takes away the weight of a word if people just latch it on to everything and now I'm not even talking about the Eclipse.

I mean, someone can call a piece of paper iconic and then I'll just find it annoying. Anyway, I don't think I'm going to change my mind on this. I'll just agree to disagree about the word in general.

EDIT: To note, I just want to end the topic so we don't go off topic with the thread. If you want to discuss this further with me, I guess you could pm me.

Last edited:
A small image, or an icon, on a computer screen can represent something more, such as the piece of software that it opens. Does it work like that?
A fan of batman might see an image of the batmobile and be transported to a fictional world. In their mind. Does that make the batmobile iconic to that person?

Surely on an individual basis the word iconic isn't appropriate, in your scenario you'd probably call it 'significant' or even 'nostalgic.' Iconic is more of a word for popular culture, something that is noteworthy or significant to a large amount of people. So all the Mitsubishi Eclipse would have going for it would be Fast and Furious, but then it's generally overshadowed by the Supra and Skyline.

As far as smaller groups of people go, say car people who may use Eclipses for whatever (can't say I've heard of many people having a particular connection with the Eclipse), sure you could call it iconic if the majority of people involved are of the same view. So I guess it's a word that can easily lose meaning depending on who you talk to. It's just a subjective term, so pick your crowd.

I really hate "off of" for sounding stupid and redundant. Why couldn't just "off" suffice?

It's used almost exclusively in North America and is indeed an incorrect redundancy. Most commonly, "off of" means off in the sense of from; he got it off of some guy/he got it from some guy.

Roval.

I heard it about two minutes ago on a YobTub video. Is it a common word? Do Indy/Nascar fans call the road courses Rovals? Hate it.

Roval is used almost exclusively by North American fans of NASCAR to refer to road course configurations for oval tracks. Pretty much everyone else just calls it a road course.

Roval.

I heard it about two minutes ago on a YobTub video. Is it a common word? Do Indy/Nascar fans call the road courses Rovals? Hate it.
👍👍👍👍👍

This has been bothering the absolute heck out of me for so long. Finally, somebody said something.

Last edited:
Roval.

So to the people who use the term... Daytona and Indianapolis are rovals but Watkins Glen and Sears Point are road courses?

So to the people who use the term... Daytona and Indianapolis are rovals but Watkins Glen and Sears Point are road courses?
Correct but only the actual road course variations, and also it's mainly Nascar people but since NBC broadcasts both it has been infiltrating IndyCar.

I really hate how a proper race track gets called a "Road course".

Road course implies that a circuit has been laid out on public roads not within a city. Isle of Man and Dundrod are Road Courses, while something like Long Beach, Toronto and Monaco are Street Circuits.

Watkins Glen, Silverstone and Suzuka are Race Circuits/Courses (I prefer to think of Courses as for Horses and Circuits for things with more than 1 Horse Power). They aren't laid out on public roads, and are designed for racing, so of course it should be a Race Circuit

These "Rovals" are just Infield circuits on an Oval, where Roval is at least a catchy term for it.

All these tracks are "Racing circuits/Courses", which they come under the banner of, just with different types. But calling a permanent circuit a "Road course" is definitely a misnomer.

Watkins Glen, Silverstone and Suzuka are Race Circuits/Courses (I prefer to think of Courses as for Horses and Circuits for things with more than 1 Horse Power)

I’ve always seen it as a circuits are something to be looped repeatedly, whereas a course might be just a single run of a particular stretch of raceway. I noticed this a lot watching road cycling where the race is set on a course and the term circuit is only used when the racers are lapping a certain part of the course multiple times.

I’ve always seen it as a circuits are something to be looped repeatedly, whereas a course might be just a single run of a particular stretch of raceway. I noticed this a lot watching road cycling where the race is set on a course and the term circuit is only used when the racers are lapping a certain part of the course multiple times.
Hence both words of naming Sonoma or Mid-Ohio a "Road Course" are wrong.

I guess I've been out of the loop with NASCAR and IRL, but I remember "roval" just being a nickname they made for Pocono since it was in no way symmetric having three different lengths of straights and three very different corners. Or six if you want to jump through those hoops.

I guess I've been out of the loop with NASCAR and IRL, but I remember "roval" just being a nickname they made for Pocono since it was in no way symmetric having three different lengths of straights and three very different corners. Or six if you want to jump through those hoops.
This is true. I don't recall if they used the term there before 2001, but I definitely remember DW constantly using that term when FOX started broadcasting. Those quirks mentioned along with the fact they actually shifted down the front straight (and sometimes Long Pond Straight) for several years made it more like a road course as well. Then of course they began to use the word again when the Charlotte road course came to be.

Not quite a word, but when statement sentences is phrased as a question? It’s more of a punctuation niggle than anything. I can’t be the only one annoyed by this?!?!

Phrase a question as a question, morons. (YouTube, I’m looking at you).

Last edited:
Not quite a word, but when statement sentences is phrased as a question? It’s more of a punctuation niggle than anything. I can’t be the only one annoyed by this?!?!

It can be a type of shorthand? To save having to say, possibly multiple times, that you're saying things which you're not completely sure about but which seem reasonable and that you're inviting correction from anyone more informed?

It can be a type of shorthand? To save having to say, possibly multiple times, that you're saying things which you're not completely sure about but which seem reasonable and that you're inviting correction from anyone more informed?
I do this frequently in friendly conversations typically with sarcasm. It's certainly not something I'd do if I were being professional, though.

But then it's different when it comes to question tags, isn't it?

We know that these are perfectly valid grammar constuctions, don't we?

But then it's different when it comes to question tags, isn't it?

We know that these are perfectly valid grammar constuctions, don't we?
This is like a spot-on impression of the Ma-non from Xenoblade X (or similar characters in other Japanese media), you know? I can hear your post in my head in a chipmunk-like voice, if you get what I mean?

It doesn't bother me terribly, but it's one speech tic the Japanese sometimes like to use where it wouldn't break my heart if it didn't appear anymore, right? It can get pretty old after a while, I think? It is more grating in English than its equivalent probably is in the original Japanese script, isn't it? Or maybe not?

Tremendous...

trump spoiled it for me.

"...the likes which..."

Anything this fool touches or says or does... I just despise it...

"Overture" the way the Americans pronounce it...

Last edited:
Back