Words I Hate

• Thread starter Liquid
  • 1,242 comments
DK
I've noticed a disturbing increase in the use of "hollibobs" here in Ireland over the past couple of years, particularly among 30-something women. It's just cringeworthy. I can understand saying it to a baby/toddler, but not in a conversation with anyone older...and especially not in ads, but of course advertising teams here are just filled with failspawn who've been relegated from the UK market.
Still better than "vacation"

DK
I've noticed a disturbing increase in the use of "hollibobs" here in Ireland over the past couple of years, particularly among 30-something women. It's just cringeworthy. I can understand saying it to a baby/toddler, but not in a conversation with anyone older...and especially not in ads, but of course advertising teams here are just filled with failspawn who've been relegated from the UK market.
I thought 1916 was supposed to be the end of all this. Sure you know yourself, tell your one about the fillums, stick it in the hot press and don't succumb to the foreign slang.

Last edited:
I think we can all agree English is a wonderfully stupid and complex language that really shouldn’t be as popular as it is.

Poop: Adults using this as their only reference to faecal matter. Why? There's faeces, product, logs, 🤬, and so many more to choose from. No need to speak like a child all the time.

Put: Referring to adding something or placing something somewhere, without resolving it with 'in', 'down' or any other words. Don't leave me waiting for missing bits of sentence, just because a tenth of a second stands to be saved.

Takeout: British people saying this when they could just as easily admit they're after a kebab or a curry. Plus the word over here is 'takeaway'.

Wack: AAVE - don't have a problem with it. On the other hand, the original British use of the word is from the North and is a means of personal address. Hearing a white British teenager using that word is like watching a large man trying to sprint in a particularly dangerous pair of Stilletos.

Shock: In articles of any form - "'Shock' decision to put one less slice of pepperoni on a pizza" etc. It isn't sodding shocking at all! If it weren't for the couple of seconds I've just spent opening this useless article, I wouldn't even notice what's happened.

Mansplain: So you don't have the nerve or whatever to tell someone to stop explaining something you already know to you? There are already thousands of words that aptly summarise the sentiment without the need to invent a new one. Smacks of laziness and the same type of sexism that users of this word claim to fight.

Last edited:
"Unironically"

I guess it's so common now to do things ironically that it becomes necessary to provide a disclaimer when you really do actually like something unironically. This word is so bothersome to me for reasons I can't really discern. I think what irritates me is that besides it being really overused now (not so much on this website though), it just seems like yet another way of people trying to phrase things on the internet in such a way to avoid any possibility of ridicule whatsoever. I could understand it if people used it when describing things they like that are weird or quirky, but it's been so watered down that now it seems more like a replacement for the word "literally".

I think what irritates me is that besides it being really overused now (not so much on this website though), it just seems like yet another way of people trying to phrase things on the internet in such a way to avoid any possibility of ridicule whatsoever.
Though this may not be the case if someone states that they unironically like "Baby Shark."

I don't think preempting ridicule has anything to do with it, and it may actually be another intensifier, as in "No, really, I like 'Baby Shark.'"

Yeah, it probably is overused.

Nontrivial, usually followed by the word "amount".

Sigh.

Just be a gambling man and say "not much", "about the same as", "a lot", "very much so", "big", "craploads", "great deal of" and history will prove you right, wrong, or in most cases...won't notice anyway.

Techno

I listen to a lot of melodic trance and house music and whenever I get to these two on my (huge) list when someone asks what music I like, they always end up nodding and replying, "oh, techno!" I really hate the sound of that word. I feel it in my spine.

Techno

I listen to a lot of melodic trance and house music and whenever I get to these two on my (huge) list when someone asks what music I like, they always end up nodding and replying, "oh, techno!" I really hate the sound of that word. I feel it in my spine.
I like the way it sounds and looks but can relate to how misunderstood it is. Most people really have no idea yet insist on using it for some reason.

Ado

It went through a phase where it wrapped up every introduction, but I feel it’s starting to calm down.
As in "without further ado"? I'm fine with it unless it's pronounced - and this is a strangely common American thing - as the French word "adieu". That makes me want to punch kittens.

"Babe"

I... well... It's a horrific word and its use should be punishable by the revocation of the users monthly anal bleaching sessions.

As in "without further ado"? I'm fine with it unless it's pronounced - and this is a strangely common American thing - as the French word "adieu". That makes me want to punch kittens.
Yes. Problem being there is more than one way to proceed from an introduction, but almost everyone is doing it without further ado.

Refusenik - Imagine appropriating a word for the sake of turning one half of the general public against the other. Weer all in dis togetha guise!

Refusenik - Imagine appropriating a word for the sake of turning one half of the general public against the other. Weer all in dis togetha guise!

That's one of those words you only see in print and never have heard anyone actually utter it with their mouth.

Reading your post over at Free Speech made me reexamine my feelings to realise that my jokey "I hate hate" post above is kinda contradictory in the way that "let's cancel cancel culture" is as highlighted in that thread, so I think I've changed my opinion regarding Words I Hate. Not sure whether it's the marketplace of enmity but it's a valuable release valve for some people.

Last edited:
"We the People"

Yes, I'm familiar with and appreciative of the historical significance, but that significance has been all but completely washed away by overuse in the vitriolic screeds of worthless mother****ers who at best harbor contempt and at worst seethe with hatred for the country's institutions because their bronzer daddy lost an election. But the proverbial straw was the guy who won said election repeating it unnecessarily in a response to a physical attack on those institutions. "We endured." Maybe. "We prevailed." Maybe. How accurately the statements reflect reality notwithstanding, at least they're not ****ing pandering.

Last edited:
Techno

Y'like Juno Reactor?
Though this may not be the case if someone states that they unironically like "Baby Shark."

I don't think preempting ridicule has anything to do with it, and it may actually be another intensifier, as in "No, really, I like 'Baby Shark.'"

Yeah, it probably is overused.
I always thought that "unironically" was a way of saying "sincerely" or "genuinely," with the internet's use of "ironic" being similar to being facetious.

Techno

It's not techno, it's heck no.

Back