Words I Hate

• Thread starter Liquid
  • 1,242 comments
This tweet randomly appeared in my feed and absolutely infuriated me because that blatant misuse of the word "Carmel" to mean "Caramel" is one of the most offensive things I have seen in a long time.

I was introduced to this abysmal misuse by Shaggy in an old Scooby Doo cartoon many years ago, and have never forgiven the character since.
Screenshot_20220928-081010.png

When I hear “carmel” it spoken it’s something I ignore because dialect/accent.

To see it written is unpleasant.

It makes me think of Italian-American mafia wives.

When I hear “carmel” it spoken it’s something I ignore because dialect/accent.

To see it written is unpleasant.

It makes me think of Italian-American mafia wives.
Makes me think of where Clint Eastwood was Mayor of in California when I see it written. ;) And that seems to be pronounced Car-mel, which is even further away from Caramel. 😄

This tweet randomly appeared in my feed and absolutely infuriated me because that blatant misuse of the word "Carmel" to mean "Caramel" is one of the most offensive things I have seen in a long time.

I was introduced to this abysmal misuse by Shaggy in an old Scooby Doo cartoon many years ago, and have never forgiven the character since.
View attachment 1195889
Carmel is a village in Flintshire.

Caramel is a flavouring made by heating sugar.

Carmel is also a very well-to-do suburb of Indianapolis. I live the next town over about 5 minutes from outer edge. We pronounce it kar-muhl.

Spooktacular

Halloween is **** anyway, but this is the most overused phrase for a Halloween special of anything. Just stop.

"bussin", because it sounds dumb.
"cap" when said as "no cap". That's also dumb.

EDIT: I just remembered, dab.

Last edited:
Not a word per se, but in this day and age of Internet and text-based interactions, Emojis and Reaction Images are perhaps just as important as Words nowadays.

Now I've justified why posting a photo counts as a word... :lol:

I absolutely despite how much this often-posted Reaction image absolutely burns my guts and infuriates me.
20221110_090102.jpg

Like, it's often used when laughing  at someone menacingly, effectively as an aide to bullying. Even when the subject of the Tweet is...deserving of the hate (maybe, I dunno, this was taken from a reaction to Matt Hancock on I'm a Celeb)... it still feels awkward and grating.

I think it's that stupidly enlarged mouth that just infuriates me most. Laughing at someone is common, this image just elicits that part at the back of your mind that shows severe pleasure in the hatred of others misfortune that just doesn't sit right with me. It's the laugh of someone who knows nothing can come back and hurt them because they have the legal team or general backup making it consequenceless. Think Malfoy and his cronies with the whole "My Father will hear about this" mantra.

Somehow this hateful image of Nicki Minaj(? At last I think it's her) with a distorted mouth brings up so much anger in me as it is always followed with the most brain-dead comments, usually as a reaction to some trash telly.

I've never seen that image, I'm guessing this was on Twitter? If you want my advice on browsing Twitter, it's this: don't. It's just a bunch of people who are stuck terminally online posting crappy takes and reaction images/GIFs to gain (fake) validation from others to make up for their lack of any in the real world. /rant

I've never seen that image, I'm guessing this was on Twitter? If you want my advice on browsing Twitter, it's this: don't. It's just a bunch of people who are stuck terminally online posting crappy takes and reaction images/GIFs to gain (fake) validation from others to make up for their lack of any in the real world. /rant
It's actually not just that. That exists on it, to be sure, but there's also a great deal of informative, interesting, entertaining and just plain nice content. Maybe my experience is unique because I don't have an account and therefore don't have a feed, rather I have to seek out content very deliberately.

How can you not love this?

I'll admit I was in a slightly flustered mood when I wrote that. Of course there is a raft of good stuff on there if you know where to look, and I do miss some of the more comedic comment chains you'd sometimes get. As you said though, not having an account and searching specific things and nothing else makes a massive difference.

I can tell you from experience that they love to just shove the most negative and/or controversial stuff down your throat, mainly as that is the content that gets the most clicks, which in turn leads people to just prying for attention. That's nothing new of course; pretty much every social network works on a similar algorithm, but something about Twitter just turns people into babbling chimps throwing faeces at each other.

The word itself doesn't bother me, but how people use it in mostly a workplace setting irritates me.

"Buddy"

It's always when asked for a "favor" as if it'll ease the blow of asking for something. At my work lately, the service department (I work in the sales department) often comes over to my desk and says "Heeey buddy, are you busy? Mind if you do something for us?" It always turns out to be them asking me to do crap for their department because they either overload their small number of part time drivers (for delivering/pickup up service customer cars) or just don't have anyone available to do these drives/jobs. For me at least, just get straight to the point of saying something like "If you're available, do you think you could help us with delivering/picking up a customer's car?" instead of "Hey buddy, could you do me a favor?" with no context until I have to ask what they want.... They love to drop surprise drives on me like "Hey buddy, could you do a four hour drive for us?" I'd be less irritated if they just got to the point and asked, instead of calling me "buddy."

Crashstappen or any other crappy F1 related nicknames from F1 Twitter (particularly Hamilton Or Verstappen)

As a McLaren fan, I am neutral to this, but the reasoning for this is fairly self explanatory

Sophomore

What's wrong with saying "second"? It makes a LOT more sense and isn't a confusing mess of hoping the reader understands the ridiculous American school year naming systems.

Shopping.

Go and do some shopping or go and get some shopping.
Yeah that's common here too, just seems a bit generic for me.

I'm going shopping could be for jeans if you get my drift.

Last edited:
The pronunciation of schedule as shedule.

The main West Germanic languages of English, Dutch and German all share the sch trigraph but each of them has it differently - in English, it is a hard Sk- sound*.

school
scheme
schism
scholar
schizophrenia
Schofield (a surname)

All with a Sk- sound. Schedule is the same.

Loanwords that have not been transliterated nor adopted over time such as schnauzer, schnoz, schnitzel and schmalz are just that - loanwords.

*Yeah, Sk- and Sc- actually sound like Sg- but that's not the point.

I've always wondered why people say it like that as well. That said though, 'shool' and 'shizophrenia' are amusing to say out loud.

I’m guilty of using the soft form of schedule because I was once informed by an English professor that it was the correct pronunciation, and it just stuck.

Loanwords that have not been transliterated nor adopted over time such as schnauzer, schnoz, schnitzel and schmalz are just that - loanwords.

Yiddish preserved them in case of a Schtick Emergency.

Back