Words I Hate

• Thread starter Liquid
  • 1,242 comments
How about white hat and black hat?
Screenshot_20220712-162734_Firefox.jpg

Sure thing, cowpoke.

Last edited:
"Hype"

Everytime I hear anyone praise something for being "Hype" it's nothing more than speculation of the "clues" the trailers/first instalment bring out without actually delivering on them to tell a good story and make a good game. Either that or an overglorified fight scene that does nothing in terms of the actual writing.

Did we not learn from The Force Awakens? The Mystery Box was always empty, the Hype mongering was a trap to get us to pay for the other instalments to avoid actually telling us a proper story.

When someone recommends me a Show or Game on the basis that it's "hype", I stay clear away from it because they likely only taking one element (either a fight scene or the Hype mongering) and making it seem like it's worth the entire experience, but I don't think it's good enough. I'd be more inclined to try something if you tell me actual qualities (like gameplay mechanics, if there is a good character I'll like etc.)

Last edited:
Why is "Mid" the new insult for something?

It's such a poor way to insult something - saying they're average isn't exactly the worst thing something can be.
Of all the dismissally words we have, Mid as an insult is just...Mid.

"Hellaflush".
This is a word I saw tossed around a lot back in the early days of hybridding for GT5 and for a long time, it's been one of many words where all I have to say about why I dislike it is simply because it just sounds stupid. Though looking its definition up right now makes me dislike it even more because I am not a fan of what it is usually referring to and never have been.

Gubernatorial. I hear it a lot relating to US politics and it just sounds wrong. 😲 :ill: It relates to the Governor, so why not Governatorial?

There's an article about that here, and it seems the New York Times do not like the term too. ;)

Last edited:
A classic example of a modern English term retaining its Latin origin for derivative adjectives. Should be governatorial if you were to keep parity. I know the word but I keep thinking it's gubernational instead.

Interestingly, I think a female governor could correctly be referred to as a governatrix.

Last edited:
Gubernatorial. I hear it a lot relating to US politics and it just sounds wrong. 😲 :ill: It relates to the Governor, so why not Governatorial?

There's an article about that here, and it seems the New York Times do not like the term too. ;)
i call governor's "goobers" constantly... have you heard any of them lately??? bunch of goobers

A classic example of a modern English term retaining its Latin origin for derivative adjectives. Should be governatorial if you were to keep parity. I know the word but I keep thinking it's gubernational instead.

Interestingly, I think a female governor could correctly be referred to as a governatrix.

I think they should call those election days Gubernationals, since they're also races with just two competitors.

Last edited:
  • Babe
  • Not a word per se but any cusswords with a few letters replaced with asterixes. Or deliberately incorrect spelling.Surely it is not the spelling that is offensive but the meaning. So if you are going to use them use the correct spelling damn it.

Last edited:
m76
  • Not a word per se but any cusswords with a few letters replaced with asterixes. Or deliberately incorrect spelling.Surely it is not the spelling that is offensive but the meaning. So if you are going to use them use the correct spelling damn it.
In Ireland they would tell you to feck off.

m76
Not a word per se but any cusswords with a few letters replaced with asterixes.
Cuss words can't ****ing hurt you unless you let them ****ing hurt you.

Also, they're asterisks.

Just a heads up - I’ve received infractions before for posting semi censored naughty words.

Just a heads up - I’ve received infractions before for posting semi censored naughty words.
I just type the word out. That way the forum censors what it deems appropriate to censor.

I've also typed out a word that I assumed would be censored and wasn't. I then reported my own post and a moderator changed my post to omit the offending word, without giving me an infraction, and I continue to assume it won't be censored if I type it out again so I simply choose to not use it.

I also assume staff can see my profane posts uncensored.

Last edited:
I just type the word out. That way the forum censors what it deems appropriate to censor.

I've also typed out a word that I assumed would be censored and wasn't. I then reported my own post and a moderator changed my post to omit the offending word, without giving me an infraction, and I continue to assume it won't be censored if I type it out again so I simply choose to not use it.

I also assume staff can see my profane posts uncensored.
I had typed the first and last letters which kind of gave the word away.

It is much easier, I now know, to type the whole word and let the filter deal with it. Though I rarely find cause to swear these days.

This is probably one of the more popular ones, and has been documented in the archives of internet webpages (I remember reading about it a long time ago). Did a quick GTP search on this thread, no relevant results returned, but I’ve always found the use of ‘all but’ and ‘anything but’ a bit perplexing. Consider the following:
  • All but one of the cabin crew died in the accident.
  • The conclusion of the study was anything but lost on the masses.
Whereas the former confirmed that almost all of the crew died, the latter denied that the action of ‘lost’ did take place among the masses.

I can understand the first sentence with ease, but the second one just seems like a weird play on words, because to me, it can just as easily be interpreted as ‘almost lost’ instead of ‘not at all lost’. I mean, when I was younger as a non-native speaker, I’d always struggled to understand it in one go, and I’d have to do a double-take (or maybe triple- or even quadruple-!), and it sometimes still happens to me. Add to that the possibility of some people who are unsure of the actual meaning of the phrase and substitute it with ‘all but’, and all sorts of chaos ensue.

I’ll come back when I think of more.

The second sentence states that the masses mostly understood the conclusion, as it was not “lost” [read: misunderstood].

It’s a bit of a wordy way to say something but it seems to check out grammatically.

It’s a bit of a wordy way to say something but it seems to check out grammatically.
Yeah, I know that it fits when you look at it from a ‘logic-of-language’ or affirmative/‘negative’ (not sure what the word is?) perspective, but to me using ‘anything but’ just somehow implies that the word succeeding the phrase could also be true. If the subject is ‘anything’, then why can’t (or won’t) it be also the word that goes after it? The possibility of ‘lost’ becoming applicable because all else already are in a first-time reader’s mind is what I’m thinking about.

I hope I’m making sense here. Or it could be just me with my comprehension. :lol:

A few words that really annoy me/get mad:

"Bro". (So sick of this word all the time. Shut up with that damn crap.)
"Like". (Whenever you try to make a sentence, you always say this and everytime someone says it, I'm here thinking "Ok, I get it, I get it now. Shut up.)
"Sexy". (I find it a bit eugh.)

I'm sorry (not sorry) to bring up another one from the world of sports. They just happen to have awful terminology more often than not.

unplayable
Meaning: this player is exceptionally talented, above all of his peers

It just... doesn't make sense. If anything, it means the opposite. If he is unplayable, that means he is not of the ability to contribute to your team - he can't play because of his incompetence and lack of skill.

A football player who is terrible at tackling, can't shoot and doesn't know how to pass is unplayable.
A football player who has fantastic speed, amazing footwork and the intelligence to make world-class passes is more playable than other players. He's the most playable player, the first name on the teamsheet.

And I'm not saying that you should use the word unplayable to mean the most talented player. It's a horrible, stilted word that doesn't fit snugly into sentences. But how it is used is just plain wrong.

Last edited:
I'm sorry (not sorry) to bring up another one from the world of sports. They just happen to have awful terminology more often than not.

unplayable
Meaning: this player is exceptionally talented, above all of his peers

It just... doesn't make sense. If anything, it means the opposite. If he is unplayable, that means he is not of the ability to contribute to your team - he can't play because of his incompetence and lack of skill.

A football player who is terrible at tackling, can't shoot and doesn't know how to pass is unplayable.
A football player who has fantastic speed, amazing footwork and the intelligence to make world-class passes is more playable than other players. He's the most playable player, the first name on the teamsheet.

And I'm not saying that you should use the word unplayable to mean the most talented player. It's a horrible, stilted word that doesn't fit snugly into sentences. But how it is used is just plain wrong.
I kind of get it, but yeah it seems not very logical unless it's placed in context using the right perspective. It's similar to unbeatable, but that doesn't have the same issue.

basis

Mate, just say regularly instead of trying to sound like you have one iQ extra and saying ‘on a regular basis’

basis

Mate, just say regularly instead of trying to sound like you have one iQ extra and saying ‘on a regular basis’
Dunno what your problem is with that mate. I use that word on the regularly basis to sound smarter than what I actually is, and it's not harming no-one so far...

Back