Words I Hate

• Thread starter Liquid
  • 1,242 comments
That strikes me as rather an odd word to hate. May I ask why you don't like it?
I don't like how it rolls off the tongue... like, it seems like a snoody word for some reason :lol:

OK. What is wrong with the word moist?!

:confused:

By snoody do you mean snooty?
*looks up*
oh. I've never actually heard it pronounced with a T. Must be a southern thing.
But urban dictionary has snoody listed and they basically mean the same thing :lol:

*looks up*
oh. I've never actually heard it pronounced with a T. Must be a southern thing.
But urban dictionary has snoody listed and they basically mean the same thing :lol:
It's like how almost everyone says "twenny" instead of "twenty". It's still spelled twenty, though. ;)

It's like how almost everyone says "twenny" instead of "twenty". It's still spelled twenty, though. ;)
I'll axe around, but you're probably right. :P

Nother. As in "a whole nother."
atomic.gif

As is also the case with the phrase "I could care less".

i_could_care_less.png

Yes, xkcd, it's all arbitrary. But words have common meaning because we assign them arbitrary rules, and that's how we communicate. By breaking the rules, in a common way, you're contributing to a lack of understanding of the language. Using a phrase that has the exact opposite meaning of the one you want to convey erodes our ability to communicate. Few people care about your specific ability to communicate as much as they care about everyone's ability to effectively communicate.

In otherwords, get with the program.

I think I may have mentioned it in the infield, but any controversy that automatically gets a -gate suffix - spygate, deflategate (twice), crashgate....

I think I may have mentioned it in the infield, but any controversy that automatically gets a -gate suffix - spygate, deflategate (twice), crashgate....

Obvious historical reasons for it, but I get your point :)

Of course you missed out Gategate (aka Plodgate or Plebgate).

I know where the term comes from, which makes it all the more annoying. Watergate was the place of the controversy, not the action. What would the terminology be if it happened at the Hilton, Novotel or Motel 6?

Well, Not really a word, But any phrase where someone implies that they're "____ lover" (car lover, food lover, cat lover etc.), The first come to my mind is that person is have a "relationship" with it, Which is disgusting, Why don't they say "Petrolhead", "Foodie", "Crazy Cat Lady" (says the guy with 6 cats)

Words my dad hates:
Technology
Gourmet
Lifestyle
Solutions

Some words I hate
Fleek
Ain't
Racism
Rights

I know the ballet term, "en pointe" (on the tips of the toes) but had never heard it in any other context.

I've recently seen "on point" written on GTPlanet quite a few times, going back at least several months. I don't know what that means.
I don't know if it's a coincidental homophone or a turn of phrase derived from "en pointe".

I expect it's just through the my own lack of understanding but at the moment I don't like "on point".

I'm doing some translation work and unfortunately English is, ironically, the lingua franca when it comes to modern computing terms.

Peer-To-Peer-Netzwerk
Simplizität
Flexibilität
Installieren
Uploaden
Downloaden
Webbrowser

To me, even as a foreigner, these just aren't German words or phrases. It annoys me slightly that there isn't a proper term for it or the proper term is falling out of use as is the case for hochladen (upload) and herunterladen (download). Even the word for a computer is more frequently der Computer instead of the more literal and correct der Rechner.

I do like the verb retweeten though. It's fun to say if you pronounce the W as a V like a German speaker.

No, no, this isn't the opening of the floodgates to non-English words we don't like. It's just patently obvious that these are Engleutsch calques of English words instead of translations.

Fleek (Dumb modern slang word)

the term "lawd" (ANOTHER dumb modern slang word)

I actually hate the word moist as well. It just.... disturbs me :ill:

I also hate the the phrase, "Get out ya feelings"
It's usually said when someone is upset about something. A person will say "Get out your feelings" in response to their anger which is basically them telling you to stop being butt-hurt and get over it.

"Fleek" sounds like the name of a failed tech start-up.

Grew up there myself so it doesn't bother me, but many people from Toronto pronounce it Toronna. Drives some people
emoticon-acadie-bat.gif

Ever since I first played Pokemon I hate the word "Weak" that Pokemon players love to use to describe the Butterfrees and Raticates.

Back