Worlds ugliest racecars?

• Thread starter Mt. Lynx
  • 379 comments
Back in the day, I was appalled by the Rattenbury Special. It compared poorly to a Lotus 19 or Huffaker Genie.

image3401.jpg

Jim Rattenbury in his Mk 2 special (SCCBC Archives)

hsv
I'm horrified that someone considers this ugly. I think this is the most beautiful open wheel racing car of all time.

I disagree entirely.

A lot of ugly cars came about when wings were introduced. I tend to give them a concession but here are some other shockers, thanks to the pursuit of aero:

March 751, Forklift Wing

march751_zps98532ee4.jpg

Arrows A21, Monaco Nose Wing

tmg-slideshow_xl

March 711, Tea Tray Wing

8224.jpg

Ensign N179, Step Ladder Radiator

8230.jpg

Williams FW26, Walrus Nose

big_thumb_6ab8142657d033975ddf09dea3ced2c3.jpg

While I don't mind the Lotus 56, all of the ones just mentioned are awful. Maybe excluding the 711.

Arrows A21, Monaco Nose Wing

tmg-slideshow_xl
That is absolutely ridiculous. Did any other team use something like that?

While I don't mind the Lotus 56, all of the ones just mentioned are awful. Maybe excluding the 711.

Jordan had a T piece slap bang in front of the driver IIRC, and there was the BMW Sauber Twin Towers.

All valid in concept,sometimes ugly in practice, and typically outlawed for safety!

A little before the Arrows, but here's a McLaren M26 with it on:

spanish-gp.jpg

I don't think these are necessarily ugly, but definitely ungainly. Tyrrell 025 wore it the worst, I think. The pronged nose and odd sculpted wing support didn't do it any favours.

tyrrell-025-08.jpg

Ah, the Tower Wing. First used by the Tyrrell team in 1997. I actually really like the 1997 spec Tyrrell ones; I just really like the 025 car.

Tyrrell 025

8231.jpg

Then Tyrrell used them again at the start of 1998.

Tyrrell 026

tyrell-1998.jpg

As did Ferrari.

Ferrari F300

20130217182224-195512-v.jpg

And Jordan.

Jordan 198

tumblr_muxvr8j9P01si2o8yo1_500.jpg

And Prost.

Prost AP01

tc4841d_Olivier-Panis-Prost-AP01-19-fotoshowImag.jpg

As well as Sauber.

Sauber C17

B0IbzSeIgAAUWYr.jpg:large

They were banned on safety precautions after the incident at the 1998 San Marino Grand Prix where Johnny Herbert's tower wing got caught in an air line hose during a pit stop and was torn off. That, and drivers said it impaired their rear and peripheral vision.

There was that period, 2006-2008, where cars had ridgers all over and those ridges had fins and those fins had wings and those wings had protrusions.

It's things like that which led to the 2009 snowplough reboot and indirectly to the penis noses and skeleton rears we see today.

Pre-ERC Rallycross was a glorious era, before the single seaters, sports prototypes and nutjob specials were banned, but Peter Brock's Torana GTR ("The Beast") has always been a bit too Mad Max. It's very awesome, but it's not very pretty.

image1.jpg

Talking about wings... Williams tested this for Monza in 1997. Unfortunately there aren't better pictures, these are frames from a video taken before a mechanic realizes there's someone filming and puts his hands on the camera.
imgres.jpg

Wouldn't the front wing need to be much different in design too, or just trimmed out completely with removed elements, in order to stop it from being horribly imbalanced? I kind of like it though, stretch it out a bit more and make it larger and you'd have a nice looking profile.

EDIT - Bigger pics:

FW19.jpg
FW192.jpg

Last edited:
\It's things like that which led to the 2009 snowplough reboot and indirectly to the penis noses and skeleton rears we see today.
I busted ribs reading this. :lol: xD

Speaking of which...

2014 Caterham
1390919016.jpg

2014 Toro Rosso
IMG_3780-886x590.jpg

2014 Lotus
45daf__73261125_73260379.jpg

Last edited:
Funny thing about the Caterham nose is that it looks more like a Broom stuck into a wooden block.

Regulations wouldn't allow it, which is what makes the prong-nose so clever.
True true, from an engineering standpoint it is an interesting take on aero. Aesthetically...not brilliant. But I agree that it is a neat solution that Chapman might have tried himself.

McLaren MP4/10

From the front, you might think it looks rather nice with that needle nose.

big_thumb_b32816b5da47bcedcd57e91f0fa3995c.jpg

But no. It's horrible; the proportions are all wrong, especially the way the nose has a lot of depth combined with that pinch at the front. The high airbox, the low sidepods, the midwing... the proportions are so wrong, it failed the crash test twice before being allowed to race and infamously had to be made wider to accommodate Nigel Mansell, making it even more gawkish.

mansell_mclaren.jpg

2Fqq7Xc.jpg

The MP4/10B which first appeared after Imola wasn't quite as bad with its conventional airbox but it's still far from the greatest F1 machine.

Back