Worlds ugliest racecars?

• Thread starter Mt. Lynx
  • 379 comments
Ferrari F310

tumblr_n7bcbx8yVf1t8eod7o1_1280.jpg

scuderia_ferrari_1996_by_f1_history-d5oe376.jpg

A really odd looking machine. They did improve the nose over the course of the season but the whole thing is just odd. Especially those sidepods and air intakes.

Ferrari_F310_1996_Schumacher.jpg

Ah, Charcoal. Based on an F1600 with a full carbon fibre body. Often called a cockroach. :lol:

You can see about 1/5 of it. And it just looks like a bog standard Raid car.

Posting one thread-worthy picture is much better than spamming the thread with random pictures and half-hearted attempts at Top Gear style anecdotes.

1987 March 871

Not a fan of the semi-exposed engine bay. Weird ridges along the sidepod. The overhead airbox was a mid-season addition and makes the car look so bad.

ivan_capelli__belgium_1987__by_f1_history-d5d19ef.jpg

1987 March 871

Not a fan of the semi-exposed engine bay. Weird ridges along the sidepod. The overhead airbox was a mid-season addition and makes the car look so bad.

ivan_capelli__belgium_1987__by_f1_history-d5d19ef.jpg

I think it was an F3000 car dressed up to F1 specs; it was funny-looking, though. The 3.0L teams tried various innovations like that (airboxes weren't common then), including semi-uncovered engine bays. Ah, when cars really looked quite different than each other.

I think the following years' 881 and CG891 was one of the more lovely designs on the grid.

... Someone tried to build a miniature Mclaren M8D?
...No, Don Nichols formed Shadow (then AVS) in 1968, and entered the Mk1 in Can Am in 1970 - the same year the M8D was first introduced. The first design went public a whole year beforehand. The reason it's tiny is because they experimented with reduced frontal areas, which worked in a straight line (190mph at Mosport), but made cooling a nightmare. Fast enough cars, but they baked themselves.

hsv
...No, Don Nichols formed Shadow (then AVS) in 1968, and entered the Mk1 in Can Am in 1970 - the same year the M8D was first introduced. The first design went public a whole year beforehand. The reason it's tiny is because they experimented with reduced frontal areas, which worked in a straight line (190mph at Mosport), but made cooling a nightmare. Fast enough cars, but they baked themselves.

The Mk1 Shadows also suffered from a severe weight distribution-related problems due to having to switch to a conventional, heavy big-block Chevy V8 when both cars were supposedly built around Toyota's Twin-Turbo 5 liter V8. Plus, they were built around pop-up air brakes that were banned shortly before the season started... They were quite wild little cars, but I always liked them.

Ferrari F310

tumblr_n7bcbx8yVf1t8eod7o1_1280.jpg

scuderia_ferrari_1996_by_f1_history-d5oe376.jpg

A really odd looking machine. They did improve the nose over the course of the season but the whole thing is just odd. Especially those sidepods and air intakes.

Ferrari_F310_1996_Schumacher.jpg

I'm more taken aback by what looks to be the world's largest Headrest. Its damn near half the cockpit.

Back