Worth playing w/ only one monitor?

• Thread starter JR2788
  • 22 comments
United States
United States
I don't have a triple screen set up, or Oculus Rift, will this still be enjoyable on one screen? I guess I could always save up for Oculus over time as well. Thoughts?

Of course. I play with only one monitor atm and still enjoy it. You just rely on your spotter that little bit more than if you had 3 screens.

Okay cool. I figured so but just wanted to make sure. Is there any post on here that shows what tracks or cars are the most popular? I don't want to buy a car that is rarely raced. Thanks!

The GT3 cars are very popular. BMW Z4, McLaren, Ruf, Merc AMG (coming soon) etc

My first 3 purchases were the Ruf, technically you get 3 or 4 (i think) cars for price of one. Watkins Glen and Donnington tracks.

Yeah, it's definitely worth playing with 1 screen if you don't know any different. I did my first 12 months on a single and was fine. Got a bit fed up towards the end because i felt it was starting to hold me back a little but triples have now fixed that.

Once you get a subscription you get a bunch of cars for free. I'd just use them to begin with until you get a feel for it and what you might like to progress to. Plus once you're in you'll be able to see for yourself which races/cars are the most popular. At the moment it's GT3 by a mile. Some open wheel stuff has a good following too like the Skip Barber.

Last edited:
I started on just a single 23'' monitor, then swapped to a 32'' lcd tv, and then finally upgraded to 3x 23'' monitors...Even when I started on my single monitor it was a highly enjoyable experience.

As @ROB 256R stated just use base content for as long as you can, it helps get a feel for the sim, and gives you a chance to plan out your 'career' before needing to buy extra content. Once you know what you want to race then you can buy content accordingly.
For me I just raced the MX5's all the way up until I thought I was ready for the Skip Barber, spent a few seasons in that, then stepped up to the Star Mazda. My advice is always, just take your time and enjoy every step of your journey, it's not a race to get to the higher levels.

Thanks guys for the replies, starting tonight so wish me luck, I'm sure I'll need it haha. Heard the learning curve is quite steep!

I'd recommend joining a practice session with other players first instead of going straight into a race of you Arnt already going to do that ha. This will let you get used to other cars around you and driving in traffic etc.

Well after some early failures with road racing, I went to Oval and did okay, Its so so much fun. Really like everything about it so far, except getting run a few times, but I gotta just get out of rookie class and it should get better.

The biggest thing I learnt was dont run before you can walk, I spent over a year with just the basic content before buying anyrhing else.

Im still only a class D but I love racing the Mazda and I will be working toward being eligible for the GT3 events. I bought the Z4 and ot is a great car to drive.

I have triples but sometimes when I do video editing I swittch back to single, its still really enjoyable.

Yeah I only played for 4-5 hours but I practiced for a good 2 hours before trying my first oval, glad I did. Need some more before racing road courses, but definitely can see the fun in them after going back to the Mazda after doing ovals and getting (kind of) used to the overall driving feel of the game

Of course. I play with only one monitor atm and still enjoy it. You just rely on your spotter that little bit more than if you had 3 screens.
Not necessarily?! I started with a single 46" and relied on my spotter. Using triple 32"s for a while now and you still need a spotter.

I've been running a single 46" since I started in 2012 and it's served me well. I keep virtual mirror on with a 70-80° fov (mirror fov, not screen fov). As long as you have decent situational awareness you will be fine. It's definitely much easier if you join a league where you race the same people every week and get familiar with their driving styles. Try your club forum to see if there is a club or local league.

I drive on single screen. I had the DK2, it is really an awesome feeling. But it was unplayable for me with that low resolution.
Yes, i was hoping this would be the answer to a 3 screen setup, but looking into the distance is impossible.

You can get 3 screens on a budget.
I picked up 3 20" screens and a stand from a fellow iracer for 150 bucks and a GTX 680 4GB GPU for $180

to top it off i paid 30 bucks for the seat too off ebay

screens are cheap. and if your handy with tools you can build the frame and rig on a lazy saturday. Then mod it and adjust from there. Ive been building mine for 12 months and im still adjusting bits.
i picked up the 32" screens (1080P) for $100 each 2nd hand.
Im also yet to build the PC but it all comes in good time.
20150726_160451.jpg

Im also yet to build the PC but it all comes in good time.
View attachment 424219
That's where most of the expense is for triple screens. You will have a lot more money invested in just the gpu than you have in your monitors, if you want anything more than minimum settings. Doing it over time does make it a bit easier though and once you get their you will be happy you did.

Back