Would Time Trials be better with friends/global times?

• Thread starter JaZZyGee
  • 80 comments

Should friends/global times be added to Time Trials and Drift Trials?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
I think it works well without it the way it is. This is my guess why it doesnt exist in arcade time trials...

1. It helps to encourage more to play in Sport mode for that kind of information...

2. Daily and FIA Sport mode qualifying provides friends and global time trial leaderboards.

3. Arcade is for your private testing and time trials.

Last edited:
I think it works well without it the way it is. It helps to encourage more to play in Sport mode for that kind of information...

Daily and FIA Sport mode qualifying for time trials serves the needs for friends and global time trial leaderboards.

Arcade is for your private testing and time trials. No need to be connected to the servers.

It would be nice if these times weren’t deleted at the end of every day though.

Also you should be able to access the Arcade times without loading up each track first .
And what’s with not showing your own best lap time at the end of the races, I don’t want to save the replay, load it, fast forward to the end just to see some information that should be easily accessable. ( Should add, I do love this game though :) )

I think it works well without it the way it is. This is my guess why it doesnt exist in arcade time trials...

1. It helps to encourage more to play in Sport mode for that kind of information...

2. Daily and FIA Sport mode qualifying provides friends and global time trial leaderboards.

3. Arcade is for your private testing and time

Good points. What about drift trials though as drifting is not in sports mode?

Last edited:
It would be nice if these times weren’t deleted at the end of every day though.

Also you should be able to access the Arcade times without loading up each track first .
And what’s with not showing your own best lap time at the end of the races, I don’t want to save the replay, load it, fast forward to the end just to see some information that should be easily accessable. ( Should add, I do love this game though :) )

I agree on the arcade times loading.

I think the times are deleted because those times are important for gridding in Sport Mode events. What if some user rested on his qualifying times from months ago, doesn't prepare for the races and grids in the front row because they have history of a great lap but is not driving his best pace anymore because they are rusty with thay car / track.

Good points. What about drift trials though as they're not in sports mode?

Sport mode online racing has been what the game was marketed to be, Racing Online...
So..I'm guessing they're focused on Sport Mode and collecting data on the races to iron out the Sportsmanship scoring and what the best way to setup the grid for good races are.

I love racing and drifting too, and in my opinion the drifting physics (1.05 update) are not that good in GTS. The front tire grip is lacking in GTS when initiating oversteer with weight transfers and drift techniques. The LSD doesnt accellerate the rear around through a corner as it should. Part of the reason is the LSD is not setup to encourage it in GTS. My theory is this would discourage drifting online so more focus on Sport Mode racing and less wreckless drifters jumping into the servers. A good thing for racing, but a tradeoff on accurately portraying the cars smh. And in my opinion GT5 and GT6 felt more acurrate for drifting. I digress though.

Last edited:
Sport mode online racing has been what the game was marketed to be, Racing Online...
So..I'm guessing they're focused on Sport Mode and collecting data on the races to iron out the Sportsmanship scoring and what the best way to setup the grid for good races are.

I love racing and drifting too, and in my opinion the drifting physics are not that good in GTS. The front tire grip is lacking in GTS when initiating oversteer with weight transfers and drift techniques. The LSD doesnt accellerate the rear around through a corner as it should. Part of the reason is the LSD is not setup to encourage it in GTS. My theory is this would discourage drifting online so more focus on Sport Mode racing and less wreckless drifters jumping into the servers. A good thing for racing, but a tradeoff on accurately portraying the cars smh. And in my opinion GT5 and GT6 felt more acurrate for drifting. I digress though.

I agree about the drifting physics in GTS. But as there are no times or goals to compete against in drift trials in general there's less appeal to do them.

Like you said setting qualifying times on the day of the race in sports mode reflects your current form which is how it should be.
Using time trials as test tracks for comparing your own times and various set ups is good. Think it would be good to at least see your friends times on these though, as an all time best to beat. It could help to improve your qualifying times in sports mode too.

I’d be very happy if they introduced a time trial kind of event daily... It’s a different challenge to the sport races and I’d imagine a similar thing would appeal for drifters too (though I’m terrible at drifting so probably wouldn’t do much myself).

I’d be very happy if they introduced a time trial kind of event daily... It’s a different challenge to the sport races and I’d imagine a similar thing would appeal for drifters too (though I’m terrible at drifting so probably wouldn’t do much myself).

You can treat the Daily race events as time trails by just entering their practice mode. You're not obligated to race and can just practice and it essentially is a daily time trial.

Its how you see it, it's optional if you want to race, but if you don't race its just like a daily time trial. Your practice time shows up on a leaderboard recorded against your friends that practiced the event that day.

Do what Forza did in the past and give a leaderboard to hot lap on for each group and track.

The leaderboards for each group and track are on time trials already. You can only see local times on it though, not friends or global times

You can treat the Daily race events as time trails by just entering their practice mode. You're not obligated to race and can just practice and it essentially is a daily time trial.

Its how you see it, it's optional if you want to race, but if you don't race its just like a daily time trial. Your practice time shows up on a leaderboard recorded against your friends that practiced the event that day.

True, I’d never really thought about it like that actually but I do check the quali leaderboards often...

Yes, absolutely it should. I'm actually quite staggered the game does not have this considering the amount of unofficial leagues that pop up for every racing game that comes out. I've run a few Hotlaps over the years and it can often mean players keep playing the game for much longer.

I don't know...
Like in GT5 I like to do time trials with stock factory cars (no upgrading/tuning), equipped with stock, factory equipped tyres so I'll probably end up somewhere on the bottom anyway :sly:

Only "tune" I did in GT5 was an oil change ;)

I would like to see where I am on the global leaderboard when Qualifying in Sport Mode races.
This would be nice!

I don't know...
Like in GT5 I like to do time trials with stock factory cars (no upgrading/tuning), equipped with stock, factory equipped tyres so I'll probably end up somewhere on the bottom anyway :sly:

They should add a symbol next to your time on the ranking board for custom set up. There's one for BoP.

It would be so much better. I don't really care about racing online that much.. I like to drive against myself in the rally tracks. Would be nice to see where I stand.

TBH, with tracks' bounds being both erratic, and liberal at the same time, I'm having a hard time being too serious about hot lapping in GTS.
If I used the same line in PC2 or AC as in GTS, none of my laps would count. Especially Nürburgring GP (turns 2,4), Brands Hatch (turn 3), and Interlagos (turn 3) come to mind, where the fastest laps are achieved by going way too wide, thus increasing your exit speed considerably.
Then again, I do play to win, and if the game doesn't punish a line, I will take it if it is the fastest. It does become hard to compare FLs across different racing games then though, and might hurt consistency for people invested in different simulations.

Last edited:
M'eh, I wouldn't mind it, but it would be pointless for me. I'm not time trialing to find out if I'm faster or slower than someone, I'm simply doing it to race against myself - other peoples times don't really matter, they have no bearing on what I can achieve. I use my Optimal lap as a target if I need one

They'd also have to be specific to car/tune/tyres/aids, and they'd have to put more effort into having the correct penalties...

... infact, the more I think about it, the more I think it's valueless. If the best time I can manage at Brands GP, in my BMW, on RH tyres, with TCS off and ABS on weak, following lines I believe to be acceptable is 1:24.555, and the optimal I've set to date is 1:23.123, why does it matter if some alien clown has shortcut the circuit, on SS's with ABS on strong, and TCS turned right up, who's got some glitch suspension set-up, does it in 1:12.000?

Like I say, I wouldn't mind it, provided there was personal leaderboards as well, but to be honest there's other features that I'd rather see implemented for TT's first.

Back