Would you like the next GT to be a hardcore sim?

Would you like the next GT to be a hardcore sim?

• Yes

Votes: 76 37.6%
  • no

Votes: 126 62.4%

• Total voters
I would love it if GT was a hardcore sim, but the reason for me playing it would change. I usually play GT Sport as an antidote to the sometimes frustrating Project Cars 2, which doesn't always feel than fun. F1 2019 is kinda the same in that regard. Making GT Sport a hardcore sim would make the game less enjoyable, and that's not what it's about. I play Project Cars to get my hardcore sim racing fix, which is fine with me. GT Sport is much more fun to play and highly enjoyable compared to the sim racers, and that's why I can't live without it. I like a challenge but sometimes I want to drive around and have fun without any pressure or burden.
Project cars 2 isn't by any means a hardcore sim... How can a game where the wet tarmac make you go faster and braking distaces are totally messes up lol.Not the best game to take in example when we are talking about physics in my opinion

Last edited:
Project cars 2 isn't by any means a hardcore sim... How can a game where the wet tarmac make you go faster and braking distaces are totally messes up lol.Not the best game to take in example when we are talking about physics in my opinion
:banghead:
Have you even played the game? None of these things are remotely true because I've driven in the wet and it's not easy. Braking distances seem realistic enough. At least I can actually play the game on a controller, as opposed to Assetto Corsa which is just rubbish.

What do you mean? The hand clutch on LMP1 cars is only for standing starts as far as i know.

This writer got to drive an Audi R18 before it was retired. I reread what he wrote. It's very possible I misread. He never mentions shifting, but does mention the hand clutch at the start.

https://www.topgear.com/car-news/big-reads/driving-audis-lmp1-le-mans-car

However, according to this news release from Porsche and the design of the 919 steering wheel, they say they pull the shifters to shift and push buttons for the clutch. And btw, this is a fascinating read for those interested in what exactly is on that steering wheel.

https://newsroom.porsche.com/en/mot...orts-919-hybrid-steering-wheel-wec-12515.html

If PD don't care about big Sales Numbers, yeah why not.

Otherwise, to make it accessible as much as possible to the huge Playstation Userbase without requiring expensive Wheel Setups, PD should stick to stay the way they are currently in.

Games like Assetto Corsa Competizione, Project CARS 2 and iRacing show what hardcore sims can do and GT needs to catch up with that competition.

The physics, aero and tire models need a massive overhaul in order for GT to become more hardcore.

Incessant hand holding for casuals is one of many areas still dragging GT down. Even though GTS has a narrower focus, it risks slipping back into its old muddled CaRPG ways.

GT can no longer hold the weight of the CaRPG genre like it did and needs to rapidly evolve to catch its more focused competitors.

Games like Assetto Corsa Competizione, Project CARS 2 and iRacing show what hardcore sims can do and GT needs to catch up with that competition.

The physics, aero and tire models need a massive overhaul in order for GT to become more hardcore.

Incessant hand holding for casuals is one of many areas still dragging GT down. Even though GTS has a narrower focus, it risks slipping back into its old muddled CaRPG ways.

GT can no longer hold the weight of the CaRPG genre like it did and needs to rapidly evolve to catch its more focused competitors.
I'd argue that Forza Motorsport is far more of a comparable game to GT, physics wise. All of those other game you listed are leagues ahead when it comes to simulation because those game strive to do so. GT, I feel, doesn't compete with these games and likely never will because it doesn't aim to be as realistic as possible physics wise.

Silly girls, there's not enough processing power in a console to do a hardcore driving sim.:boggled:

^That's my take.

I think if you ask Polyphony, they'll say it is a hardcore sim for the masses. But the question I'd ask to all those that have answered... What do you think makes a "hardcore" sim?

Does that mean remove the unreal aids? Does that mean add more realism to the driving dynamics? Does that mean make it more racing-centric? Does it refer to more detailed setup adjustments? Regardless, in all honesty, I think GT Sport is about as realistic as a the PS4 can handle smoothly, but I don't feel as though GT Sport is a long way behind in terms of good sims.

That said, I think they can improve the force feedback and the tire model's bump handling. Also, I personally don't like that they took a step back from tuning setups, but I can understand why.

I'm in the no category. Hardcore Sim, reads like, "Per$$$$onal Computer". I've always been a console player since Atari 2600.

On the flip, it'd be awesome to see what PDI could do with such computing power. A win for those that have gaming pcs.

Simply no because GT was never meant to be that however i would like if it properly simulated the cars within these simcade limits (Electric cars running out of energy instead of being useless additions , being able to adjust turbo boost) etc .
And after seeing this thread i have to ask ... why does everything has to be "Super Realistic " these days ? Idk may be because i 🤬 at driving but whats wrong with something simcade or arcade (NFS etc ) or even something fully silly like mario kart or CTR ? at the end of the day go to your local race track and drive for real if you want it that badly.

With my very limited amount of real life racing and GT sport racing... I like the handling at moment, my only thing I'd like is more realistic kerbs and grass, I think it's too easy to run kerbs and run wide in GT sport at the moment

With my very limited amount of real life racing and GT sport racing... I like the handling at moment, my only thing I'd like is more realistic kerbs and grass, I think it's too easy to run kerbs and run wide in GT sport at the moment

I kinda agree with you. But I'd say the curbs are not consistent for how they are visually portrayed. On one track, a curb looks the same as another and are taken at similar speeds, but do different things to the car. I think it has to do with processing power and the tire modeling on the contact patch. Some wide flat curbs completely upset the car in areas that seem like they should be ride-able. Other times where you have very pronounced curbs that should upset the car... turn out to be very compliant. I'd just like the "realism" to bleed in a little here and get some consistency.

How can one expect GT to be a hardcore sim when it still can't even properly implement a simple mechanic element of cars in the game like turbo lag (for cars with turbochargers)?
Are you sure you know what turbo lag is?
Thats exactly the reason why i prefer driving NA gt3 cars to turbo gt3 cars.
You never got turbo lag in the middle of the corner and when it kicks in, you start to slide and spin?

Are you sure you know what turbo lag is?
Thats exactly the reason why i prefer driving NA gt3 cars to turbo gt3 cars.
You never got turbo lag in the middle of the corner and when it kicks in, you start to slide and spin?
Actually, there's still no turbo lag in this game. Just boost threshold.

GT7 can be hardcore sim and a arcade game at the same time, like most sims with aids and options to enable for make it easier.

Already GTS can be driven in both ways : in an more sim way (no aids, even abs OFF) or in a more arcade way with some or a lot of aids ON.

One way doesn't block the other.
Things in software can be not only black or white, you can play with it in multiple ways and that is FREEDOM and BETTER.

For the physics, yes, I wish GT7 be a improved and better hardcore sim that GTS (that is quite good yet in my opinion).

GTS Sport Mode has some forbidden aids, some rules and restrictions. GT7 could add many events with even more restrictions in order to make it more hardcore and let players participate in their wanted discipline, like arcade, mixed or hardcore events separetely.

There's definitely something going on in at least some turbo cars that isn't explained purely by boost threshold. My most noticable experiences have been in the M6 GT3, it's right in the middle of its best torque band but still when flooring it very little happens at first and then the power comes on as expected. It's not a long moment but it's there and I can't imagine it to be anything else than turbo lag.

I definately noticed turbo lag in the Lexus GR2 car.

All of those cars have ABSOLUTELY TERRIBLE power-bands. But from my limited engine building experience, 2.0 liters at 600+ horsepower with a single turbo might exhibit a similar power-band. Personally I think its exaggerated because the money these companies spend to perfect the drivability of an engine, but I've never seen their dyno sheets to confirm. The tech is definitely out there to have a MUCH smoother power-band, but its unlikely they gave Polyphony a good dyno sheet to model the power-band after.

I think you can see it on the boost gauge too.
I don't pay attention to it much though. I'd rather look at the graph of the powerband for the engine's HP & torque in the menu to know more about the engine's behavior and performance at certain ranges.

Back