Would you use Gran Turismo 5 to decide what kind of car to buy?

• Thread starter Leadfoot53
  • 61 comments

Would you use Gran Turismo 5 to make a decision on purchasing a car?

• Yes

Votes: 37 19.8%
  • Maybe

Votes: 71 38.0%
  • Likely not

Votes: 29 15.5%
  • No

Votes: 30 16.0%
  • Heck no!

Votes: 20 10.7%

• Total voters
Absolutely...where else can you take a virutal test drive and have a 3D render of so many cars are ur fingertips? All in gorgeous HD.

If it wasn't for Gran Turismo, the Evo and WRX wouldnt have had such success in the US markets.

No. It's a computer game. I'd read motoring journalism, test drive it and get a real-life opinion before spending tens of thousand of dollars/pounds. Can't imagine anyone buying a car based purely on the fact they drove in on a playstation with a controller.

Edit: However, I'd use GT5 as a vitual brochure to perv on my potential purchase.

Last edited:
Yes, ever sine GT5Prologue, I want to by the new Subar STI, I just love that car. As well the TVR speed Six, but of course..

It's funny, but I won't buy a car based on GT5... ALONE. But when I was looking for a used car as a daily driver for going to work, I was faced with a choice... A mazda astina, or a Honda Civic EG. All things were even until I realized that the EG was in GT4.:ouch:

It was out of nostalgia for the game. After all, I've been playing it since the first one came out. But if the essence of the post is whether or not I will buy a car based on how it drives in the game, my answer is heck no.

No, other than the looks of the car GT won't give you an idea of much else. You are better off just going to the dealer and test driving it(which is free). Plus, in GT you race, presumably if you are buying a car you aren't going to be racing with it.

Absolutely...where else can you take a virutal test drive and have a 3D render of so many cars are ur fingertips? All in gorgeous HD.

If it wasn't for Gran Turismo, the Evo and WRX wouldnt have had such success in the US markets.

I don't know about that...

1. Annoying thread title. Makes you click to enter, then go 'pah' and leave. Sorry.

2. But while I'm here. No. It's a computer game. I'd read motoring journalism, test drive it and get a real-life opinion before spending tens of thousand of dollars/pounds. Can't imagine anyone buying a car based purely on the fact they drove in on a playstation with a controller.

Edit: However, I'd use GT5 as a vitual brochure to perv on my potential purchase.

+1 I almost bought a evo 6 tme a few years ago and i was going evo crazy waiting for it for several months. So i bought gt4 and bought as many evo's as i could and did similar mods as i was planning to do :sly:

Yes, ever sine GT5Prologue, I want to by the new Subar STI, I just love that car. As well the TVR speed Six, but of course..

New subaru wrx sti is crap, don't waste your money.

I don't know about that...

+1 I almost bought a evo 6 tme a few years ago and i was going evo crazy waiting for it for several months. So i bought gt4 and bought as many evo's as i could and did similar mods as i was planning to do :sly:

New subaru wrx sti is crap, don't waste your money.

Ok..💡 So the next GEN STi , then by the time I will be sure I have the money for it haha.

Another one. 350z (or 370z) after seeing the Mustang GT is crap, only good for burnouts.

Not until the physics are improved. But even then, research and tests would probably be more helpful or at least worth looking into.

NO. I'd rather decide off of a television show like Top Gear or magazines like the late Sport Compact Car or Car & Driver's if I'm not going off of my own expertise :).

Im quite fussy when it comes to cars, so in GT you can study the shapes, lines and details of certain cars in 3D and HD! So it may assist in deciding which car I like the best. One of my favourites in GT5P is the Lexus IS-F, a car I really never looked at before or knew anything about!

Im quite fussy when it comes to cars, so in GT you can study the shapes, lines and details of certain cars in 3D and HD! So it may assist in deciding which car I like the best. One of my favourites in GT5P is the Lexus IS-F, a car I really never looked at before or knew anything about!

Staring at a video game's model and admiring the lines and details means nothing when it comes to actual driving and real life behavior of the car. GT simulates it but if your wanting to see, lets take the IS-F for example, you'd be better of with Car & Driver, Motor Trend or heck even the Lexus web page. YouTube test drive footage is another option. These are all lines I;d take before referring to the beloved Gran Turismo.

Last edited:
Not a chance, Its a computer game, while the physics etc is good for a game (or at least you expect it to be) driving on GT is nothing like driving for real.

Well that depends, do I want to buy a Holden or a Holden? Oh wait.........never mind.

I voted "likely Not" mainly because I can't afford the cars that I would want from GT!!!

Also - test driving isn't just about how the car drives - it's about how it fits to you...

For instance - my missus used to have a 206 - which I borrowed a few times - the car isn't designed for anyone over 5 foot 9 - because to see out the back window with the rear view mirror placement - you have to duck down - not just move your eyes... Can't get that from GT.

C.

54% vote yes or maybe... are any of those people actually old enough to drive? :lol:

It's a game FFS, perhaps you could use it for choosing a colour, but it's not real driving.

Staring at a video game's model and admiring the lines and details means nothing when it comes to actual driving and real life behavior of the car. GT simulates it but if your wanting to see, lets take the IS-F for example, you'd be better of with Car & Driver, Motor Trend or heck even the Lexus web page. YouTube test drive footage is another option. These are all lines I;d take before referring to the beloved Gran Turismo.
As I say, it may assist in deciding a car, but I certainly wouldn't rely on a GT game!! If I was to become serious, I would go straight to the car dealer, check it out in the showroom and test drive it.

No.

You will miss the effect of air, braking power, acceleration and real sound.
Also the seat and dashboard and electronic features will be missing comparing to a real live testdrive.

No. As good as GT5 is, its nothing compared to driving the real thing, thus I would probably base my decision more on something like evo magazine.

Maybe. If I had a choice to drive on regular roads and highways of such, then that would further more increase my confidence on buying that car.

I voted yes, my last 2 cars I bought after playing with them in GT4. Ahh, just made myself sad. I've owned 2 cars since played GT4. Anyway, no other driving game had that effect on me. Oh, and both cars are in GT5. :)

missed one answer!!!!! - i had already buyed a car cuz i played gt2...
evo9...

But that decision would have been made based on its reputation as a great car - which would have been obtained from elsewhere, and not GT. I doubt you saw it on GT, had never heard of the car before, and just went out and bought one.

Heck no! Regardless how good of a simulator GT5 is, I would never buy a car because of GT5. There's no replacement for the real thing.

I chose "Likely not". I guess I should've voted for "No", because I'd never spent a fortune on a car that I'd only tried in a videogame. Not dissing GT's physics, but it doesn't matter just how realistic the game is, it can never replicate driving the car in real life (e.g. because of absence of g-force).

Sure I'd use it to browse cars, and even drive them to get maybe a basic feel for them, but that'd just be step one. Then I'd read about it, and finally test drive it.

:)

Back