WRC 8: General Discussion (Release: september 2019)

Holy **** I've just met my match, Rally Turkey. Is it just me or is this impossible ! I'm not sure at all if I can win this. WRC2 Skoda Fabia on hard & realistic damage and it's, really, really, really hard !!

Anyone else struggle with this round ?

Last edited:
So I started my career and am doing the introduction and all. But somehow I can’t select the 3rd event? Anyone else has this problem? I can select it, but pressing x doesn’t do anything....

So I started my career and am doing the introduction and all. But somehow I can’t select the 3rd event? Anyone else has this problem? I can select it, but pressing x doesn’t do anything....

Have you pressed the top button in the vertical menu at your headquarters to proceed to the next event?

Which is the benefit for activating all the combos of the perk cards ? (You know when you are able to turn green all the icons on the cards by selecting the right crew members.

Holy **** I've just met my match, Rally Turkey. Is it just me or is this impossible ! I'm not sure at all if I can win this. WRC2 Skoda Fabia on hard & realistic damage and it's, really, really, really hard !!

Anyone else struggle with this round ?

Turkey is insane, really difficult. At the end It will be a matter of memorizing the stages and the bumps and maximize the reliability R&D tree.

I was really unlucky in my WRC 2 career cause i got the Epic stage at night with rain. Something like 18sec off at medium difficulty.

I am personally finding really hard Germany with rain, damn puddles. In general with flooded stages i find myself in trouble due to the strong acqua planning effect. It reminds me of the one from project Cars 2 where It was absolutely insane (with no effect on AI..game breaking issue).

Turkey is insane, really difficult. At the end It will be a matter of memorizing the stages and the bumps and maximize the reliability R&D tree.

I was really unlucky in my WRC 2 career cause i got the Epic stage at night with rain. Something like 18sec off at medium difficulty.

I am personally finding really hard Germany with rain, damn puddles. In general with flooded stages i find myself in trouble due to the strong acqua planning effect. It reminds me of the one from project Cars 2 where It was absolutely insane (with no effect on AI..game breaking issue).

I'm about 5 seconds off on the first stage atm. I fear my championship is gonna take a turn for the worst, I'm currently 4th with 2 rounds to go. As for the puddles, I've found that the only safe route through them is to back off, no throttle, brakes or steering but even then that doesn't always work. Best thing to do is try and avoid them but then sometimes it's impossible.

I am thinking about getting this game, but i'm a bit worried for my logitech wheel. The g29 feels and sounds like it clips a bit when it get some more intense force feedback.

How is the force feedback in wrc 8 and should I worry for my wheel breaking after playing this game?

I am thinking about getting this game, but i'm a bit worried for my logitech wheel. The g29 feels and sounds like it clips a bit when it get some more intense force feedback.

How is the force feedback in wrc 8 and should I worry for my wheel breaking after playing this game?

The FFB is good on G29. There is some clipping but it's nothing that turning tyre slip down can't fix.

I'm still not quite sure what I think of this game. The handling is alright, but the car list remains uninspiring. The stages are nice, but IMO some of the rallies are a bit too Codemasters-ish with their division of stages -- however, the quantity and variety of rallies makes up for this! The career mode seems weak; more fluff than substance.

WRC 8 exceeds my expectations based on what I had read about WRC 7 and V-Rally 4, but is not quite as deep as I hoped it could be.

What more would you like to see in the career mode ?
Anything that helps me feel like I'm building towards something, or makes the experience more dynamic, I guess. Something more like Dirt 4 or SLRE, with more meaningful unlocks, purchases, or customization. A greater impact on rally performance for the presence, absence, or rating/fatigue of team members.

The stats, finances, and occupations don't seem to amount to much (hence "fluff"), and the gist of the career mode seems to be, "Welcome to the WRC!" and that's about it. Playing at Medium pace with Permacrash enabled, I appear to be about as well off with or without any team members at all. Seasons appear to be a revolving door of randomized rallies and arbitrary offers -- the randomization is great, but I have not yet grasped any sense of progress in terms of how offers relate to my performance.

I'd also appreciate the choice of another co-driver or two for hire, a la Dirt 4. The dude's accent and speech mannerism is thick enough that occasionally when he bursts into a series of instructions my brain reflexively brushes it off as unintelligible foreign language. :boggled:

@Wolfe I think the English co driver could be improved for sure. I'm from England yet this guy sounds like someone from the 1950's with a stiff upper lip !!

Although greatly improved from the development builds I think that it would have been much better to have an actual co driver from the WRC or if not at least someone that sounds a bit normal, (if there is such a thing). A different choice would have great, personally I prefer the WRC7 guy. I liked both co drivers in Dirt 4.

Not a bad idea. But now that I think about it I think I will try to do this mod from Amstudio:
...since I have all the necessary tools lying around, including a spare brake pedal and an Arduino Pro Micro chip.
Ok, so I finally did the Arduino handbrake mod. Works like a charm!
Check it out here.

Someday I’ll reach the WRC in career mode. Just started my third season with WRC2 Pro. Getting kind of tired running the same 6 events. Third times a charm? Hope so. I can only imagine how difficult winning the WRC Championship is going to be...:eek:

Someday I’ll reach the WRC in career mode. Just started my third season with WRC2 Pro. Getting kind of tired running the same 6 events. Third times a charm? Hope so. I can only imagine how difficult winning the WRC Championship is going to be...:eek:

Im curious what sort of results are you getting at the end of your seasons ? Are you scoring high on the manufacturer try outs ? I'm still on my first WRC2 season, taking it slow got a lot on irl atm.

Last edited:
Im curious what sort of results are you getting at the end of your seasons ? Are you scoring high on the manufacturer try outs ? I'm still on my first WRC2 season, taking it slow got a lot on irl atm.

The tryouts go well, it’s just taking longer than anticipated to gain affinity with them. Citroen WRC was the highest at about 60% until I tried out with Toyota, so now my affinity with Citroen dropped to 50% while Toyota increased from around 40% to 50. I don’t care about the team, I just want a WRC ride! ;)

Meanwhile my overall results in WRC2 Pro are mixed; best championship finish was 7th or so. I usually podium all of the events except Monte Carlo and my finishes at Wales are inconsistent. Maybe a podium at Monte is a ticket to WRC.

Started third season of WRC2 Pro today, and lo and behold, not only a podium, but 1st place at Monte Carlo.

Well, it was Corsica where the wheels fell off, not quite literally but close. So far Corsica has been relatively kind to me with a couple podiums in the last two seasons. But not the third time around, and just when I thought my ducks were all in a row.

Hired one of the best meteorologists (one with the little gold notch), I had all three forecast windows unlocked, the ‘Frog’ perk activated (meaning a 100% accurate forecast), a fully rested crew, and the meteorologist still got the forecast wrong. Not only wrong, but nowhere close.

Forecast for SS1 showed dry all throughout, and SS2 showed 100% of showers throughout. Well, I took SS1 easy to preserve the wets, but the rain never came on SS2 and there I was on worn out wets looking for some grip and speed. Finished 2nd. But that’s only the beginning...

SS3 & SS4 showed slight chance for showers, so I chose dry tires. And wouldn’t you know SS4 was basically a drench fest. Finished SS4 in last, 9th overall. Ouch. Hopefully this is a one-off because I can understand the forecast being off a little, but this was just bad. Dear meteorologist, you are fired!

While I’m on the subject of wet conditions, the difference between WRC8 and DR2.0 is a tale of two puddles. The puddles in WRC8 are like hitting land mines with violent repercussions, while DR2.0 seems to glide and gloss over the glassy wet tracks like they’re not even there. Surely the puddles in DR2.0 appear to have depth, but no. Maybe there’s a happy medium somewhere?

Attachments

• 55F47841-0EFD-4826-8521-2640DFF4F8E5.png
    55F47841-0EFD-4826-8521-2640DFF4F8E5.png
    19.3 KB · Views: 16
Hello guys, @crynox.. Just getting back after a bit of a break into racing. Are the replays better than in wrc7 with a more tv style from the side of the track/road camera for most of the runs?
Do you still have to keep your ds4 plugged even when using a wheel?
Is it true that the career seems scripted and has lots of fluff as someone said here?

@Jtheripper

Replays: 100% trackside except a drone shot.

DS4: dunno, I'm on PC so the wheel works by itself.

Career: it's nice and involving. Not fluff, but nothing really special, either. The best element it adds is the financial part. Not breaking the car becomes paramount for success, at least with high damage levels which I play at.

Hello guys, @crynox.. Just getting back after a bit of a break into racing. Are the replays better than in wrc7 with a more tv style from the side of the track/road camera for most of the runs?
Do you still have to keep your ds4 plugged even when using a wheel?
Is it true that the career seems scripted and has lots of fluff as someone said here?

The replays are greatly improved over 7, showing only external roadside shots throughout with the occasional Helicopter view, much much better.

As for the career, it's not too deep but imo quite good, you have to build up your team hiring and firing members as you progress & earn more money from finishing each round, this enables enhanced reliability, repair times, earnings etc. You also earn skill points along the way which you can spend on the skill tree items, these provide all sorts of improvements such as a metrologist for improved weather forecasts, higher robust parts, a better agent for improved earnings and much more. In-between rounds you have the chance to participate in special non championship stages, (different historical car, random stage), training events, extreme events & rival manufacturer try outs. All of these earn you money & sometimes skill points to spend on the aforementioned skill tree. Personally I quite like the new career mode.

If your sitting on the fence perhaps watch @Pfei 's video review, it might help you make up your mind. IMO an excellent follow up to 7 with loads of content. I couldn't be happier.

Don't know about the DS4 as this time round playing on controller on XB1X.

Tks alot @Pfei and @MrCrynox , excellent news then.
Yes i will for sure watch the review. Is there a team member voice that goes thru with you on the testing and challenges and commenting a little like f1 2018?
I like wrc7 but mostly with the ds4 even if i have to set the sensitivity way down. The handling seems different with the wheel with more understeer and hard to oversteer compared to with the controller. Even if i usually prefer a wheel for less twitchyness and more feel of course.

Tks alot @Pfei and @MrCrynox , excellent news then.
Yes i will for sure watch the review. Is there a team member voice that goes thru with you on the testing and challenges and commenting a little like f1 2018?
I like wrc7 but mostly with the ds4 even if i have to set the sensitivity way down. The handling seems different with the wheel with more understeer and hard to oversteer compared to with the controller. Even if i usually prefer a wheel for less twitchyness and more feel of course.

No voice throughout just at the beginning explaining everything when you first start the game. And depending how much of a WRC fan you are you might recognise the voice, it's Becs from the official coverage !

The handling with a wheel is much improved this time round, apparently.

No voice throughout just at the beginning explaining everything when you first start the game. And depending how much of a WRC fan you are you might recognise the voice, it's Becs from the official coverage !

The handling with a wheel is much improved this time round, apparently.
I see tks, hopefully the codriver sounds more natural,that would be a welcome improvement at least. I like the spotter voice in nascar heat 3, he sounds so natural.
The replays were nice in helicopter view at least in wrc7.

Won the WRC title at medium difficulty with the Fiesta. Pretty satisfied. However few things need to be adjusted:

- trophies on PS4 are broken;
- objectives don't work and they are no sense;
- meteorologist is totally useless as they are wet tyres;
- i just can't handle how puddles literally throw you into the wall.
- AI do not retire even if you see them broken track side
-restarting stages sometimes makes weather change

Last edited:
Back