WRC Generations

• Thread starter Famine
  • 487 comments
While I could have only quickly checked out the handling before starting work..

Untitled-2.png

Last edited:
Only had a very brief go during installation but I have some early thoughts anyway.

Firstly, the visuals have had a nice bit of polish, the game appears much cleaner, less jagged and rough. It isn't pushing the PS5 by any means but it is a definite improvement over WRC10. It has only 2 modes this time, 2k60 and 4k30, doing away with the 120hz mode for some reason.

Secondly, the WRC cars feel very different to drive, just like in real life, they're heavier and more lethargic. Attacking the stages like in WRC10 will result in a crash almost immediately, braking distances are longer and the cars default settings have a lot more understeer. It will take a little bit of getting used to.

Finally, audio. Always a mixed bag for KT, same again here. Co-Driver is an improvement for sure, whereas the cars really are mixed. Only used the WRC cars so far but the Toyota sounds a bit off, quite weedy, whereas the Puma has a bit more going on and sounds a bit more dynamic. All of them sound a bit stale in cockpit view but I use chase cam personally and it's generally an improvement.

I have come across a few bugs already, firstly at the start when you select your preferred graphics mode, it doesn't do anything, the game will launch in 4k30 regardless of what you choose. If you want 2k60 you'll need to exit the game after choosing and reboot. Also, the controller vibration is set to 0 by default so the pad feels lifeless, however when I have tried to set the vibration strength to anything other than 0, the game just crashes. A bit annoying considering it was delayed for extra polish.

Once it has installed and I can have a proper go I''ll further some points but so far it feels and looks like a good improvement over WRC10.

Last edited:
So are Microsoft or KT to blame for the delay? I always get a sucker-punch when I pre-order something but I am impatient :ouch:

Some more time logged this evening now it's fully installed.

The handling is definitely different to 10, across all surfaces and car classes. Everything has longer brake distances and feels more weighty. I found with WRC10 it could feel a bit point and squirt sometimes but with Generations I feel momentum is going to be key, using the cars weight to transition corners is going to be much more important in this. Its definitely taking a bit of getting used to.

Further to my graphics comments, I'll add that night stages are slightly more pleasant, bit more light from the headlights and a little easier to see whats going on. The new HUD and UI is much nicer to look at and use as well, a much cleaner and easier to digest look. Shame the sounds haven't followed suit.

League mode is going to be the main online focus I think. Currently it's in qualification phase but I feel the structure and how it works is going to be really inviting, not just to online regulars but to all players of the game.

It's a worthy finale for them, improvements in some key areas, plenty of content (shame there's only really 1 Corsica stage though), some annoying bugs to iron out (hoping there's a day 1 patch for standard release) and an online mode that will outlive this games life cycle.

Also, the new Sweden stages are savage.

Have you tried the 2021 Yaris and compared it to the last game? I watched a review where they did a back-to-back of the 2021 and 2022 Toyotas and the Rally1 was naturally more lazy in the turns because of the regulation changes.

Last edited:
Some more time logged this evening now it's fully installed.

The handling is definitely different to 10, across all surfaces and car classes. Everything has longer brake distances and feels more weighty. I found with WRC10 it could feel a bit point and squirt sometimes but with Generations I feel momentum is going to be key, using the cars weight to transition corners is going to be much more important in this. Its definitely taking a bit of getting used to.

Further to my graphics comments, I'll add that night stages are slightly more pleasant, bit more light from the headlights and a little easier to see whats going on. The new HUD and UI is much nicer to look at and use as well, a much cleaner and easier to digest look. Shame the sounds haven't followed suit.

League mode is going to be the main online focus I think. Currently it's in qualification phase but I feel the structure and how it works is going to be really inviting, not just to online regulars but to all players of the game.

It's a worthy finale for them, improvements in some key areas, plenty of content (shame there's only really 1 Corsica stage though), some annoying bugs to iron out (hoping there's a day 1 patch for standard release) and an online mode that will outlive this games life cycle.

Also, the new Sweden stages are savage.
1 corsica stage..., and it seemed like it be a full rally, shame. What about all other extra rally locations?
Yeah, must be the previous gen wrc cars in this, curious how they feel different from 9 and 10 same cars.
Edit: also the wrc2 cars are same i think as year before? I wonder if feel different still from physics changes.

Last edited:
Have you tried the 2021 Yaris and compared it to the last game? I watched a review where they did a back-to-back of the 2021 and 2022 Toyotas and the Rally1 was naturally more lazy in the turns because of the regulation changes.
The 2021 is sharper in the turns but definitely has longer braking than WRC10s version of it. And still feels less floaty than last year.
1 corsica stage..., and it seemed like it be a full rally, shame. What about all other extra rally locations?
Yeah, must be the previous gen wrc cars in this, curious how they feel different from 9 and 10 same cars.
Edit: also the wrc2 cars are same i think as year before? I wonder if feel different still from physics changes.
The WRC2 cars are the same but they do feel different, again the whole physics system seems to have shifted towards more weight feel and needing longer braking distances, thats affected everything. Also stage wise, every additional country except Corsica and San Remo is a full rally. San Remo and Corsica are just 1 stage with reverse version and shakedown.

Last edited:
Sounds like the Xbox early access still hasn't been sorted. Xbox have had some issues over the past 24-48 hours. Nacon copping the blame over on Reddit but I'm not sure it is solely their fault.

Last edited:
^ It's working now.
Very brief, early impressions. It's not just WRC 10 with some extras, it looks a lot better and handles differently. I'm not thrilled with the changes to the handling so far, reminds me of the Dirt Rally games. Hopefully, I just have to get use to it.

^ It's working now.
Very brief, early impressions. It's not just WRC 10 with some extras, it looks a lot better and handles differently. I'm not thrilled with the changes to the handling so far, reminds me of the Dirt Rally games. Hopefully, I just have to get use to it.
It reminds me of DIRT Rally as well actually, but I loved those games a lot so for me that's a massive positive.

The new Rally1 cars are heavier, have less downforce and don't have a center diff anymore (even though the game still has the center diff in setup LOL). So compared to the previous cars they are more cumbersome to drive and suffer from understeer, oversteer and wheelspin, depending on the car's rotation, speed and whether the hybrid boost is laying down extra power or not.

So it doesn't surprise me that they feel quite different than the previous cars, new game or not. From what I have seen in vids it seems KT has done a pretty good job modeling their behavior.

The new Rally1 cars are heavier, have less downforce and don't have a center diff anymore (even though the game still has the center diff in setup LOL). So compared to the previous cars they are more cumbersome to drive and suffer from understeer, oversteer and wheelspin, depending on the car's rotation, speed and whether the hybrid boost is laying down extra power or not.

So it doesn't surprise me that they feel quite different than the previous cars, new game or not. From what I have seen in vids it seems KT has done a pretty good job modeling their behavior.
They feel real good to hustle down a stage as well. A lot of those traits have transferred to other cars too though, they've clearly made a lot of adjustments to the global physics of the game, it's quite apparent with the WRC2 and legends cars. Some for the better, some worse.

It's not just the new cars though, it's more realistic across the game, you can't just hold down acc like you could before with certain cars. I actually got on OK with the new Puma, but the Stratos is more in line with other games now. Slower cars are more exciting to drive as a result though.

Last edited:
I've made a team for us at GTP to join for the teams league and such. GTPlanet WRC is the name. Tag me and your PSN ID so I can approve requests to join.

Edit: should be able to add people from Xbox and PC as well, I believe teams and leagues are crossplay enabled.

Last edited:
How do you make a game which starts out with tutorials but then don't add any explanations for the car set up options :lol:
Bored Come On GIF

Last edited:
Was looking at a 1st impressions video, guy saying there's no sound on gravel so you can know how much you are sliding etc.
Weird since that's been pretty good in previous games, maybe a bug..
Not sure on which platform he was playing.

Last edited:
Some pad settings for pad players, tool a few hours of tweaking but these settings feel excellent. The rescale setting seemed to help get some consistent feel as well, particularly for throttle and brake.

Steering (left and right):
Sensitivity- -4.0
Deadzone- 10
Saturation- 100
Rescale- On

Throttle and brake:
Sensitivity- -4.0
Deadzone- 1
Saturation- 100
Rescale- On

I use these on PS5 but they should translate well to any platform and controller.

Last edited:
I've spent a couple of hours on Generations so far on the PS5. I'm impressed with some of the improvements made, KT have really put everything they can into this final title and it does show. I like that there's more perceivable weight to the cars and I have been caught out a few times by the longer braking distances too.

FFB feels fairly good to be honest through my DD Pro, need to dial in the right vibration settings as it's overly strong on default though.

Audio still seems a weak point of these games but it's not unusable at all, it just could be better however this seems to have been the series' weak spot overall.

Love the new Swedish stages, great fun with the flat out sections too.

Back