X-Men 3

  • Thread starter Thread starter Anderton Prime
  • 157 comments
  • 6,092 views
I like the pot behind this one a lot... Though I can't see them turning the Phoenix Saga in a single, mixed story movie that's been said to be less then two hours long... It'll be a very boiled down version no doubt, in one of the greatest X Men stories/periods ever... But who knows, maybe they'll get it all in there... I'm still psyched none the less...
 
supposedly they're making a "Wolverine" movie set to come out later this year and ive heard rumors of a "Magneto" movie and "Phoenix" movie. Look i want to see another x-men movie but i know what will happen, it'll get watered down and wont be any good anymore. Actors will start dropping out, probably Halle Barry or Hugh Jackman first, they'll try to replace them with other actors. Eventually it'll come down to "DVD release only." Well maybe it wont go as far as that but it'll get bad. Im glad this is the last one and they dont try to pull another one out. I just hope this one is as good as it looks.
 
I agree, when you get a series of movies being made folowing the same characters, unless it's animated it's very hard to get all the same actors for every film, most actors won't sign for a 5 film deal, most will only agree to 2 or 3 films at one time. Then add in the fact that X-Men has a few big names in, Patric Stewart, Ian McKellen, Hugh Jackman, Halle Berry, Famke Janssen who have appeared in all three of the films.
 
When they were making X2 I remember Brian SInger saying that it had been planned as a trilogy if the first movei did well. So they might not make anymore X-Men movies but I have definitely heard about the Wolverine and Magneto movies. Jackman has agreed to do the Wolverine movie, but Magneto is supposed to be when he is younger and tell his story from WWII on and his friendship with Charles Xavier and the beginnings of the X-Men. I doubt it will have Ian McKellan. From the way he talks and acts I think Jackman really loves the Wolverine character. He gets so into the part that for X2 and The Last Stand he has grown his own hair and styled it just like Wolverine's so it doesn't look as bad as the wig in X-Men. I hope this means he'll stay on as long as the movies retain their quality.

If done right those two movies would make great prequels that combine to tell the backstory of X-Men.
 
The Woverine movie could easily be made into a trilogy... First with simply Logan, then being used for Weapon X and finally Alpha Flight...

However, I've read at IMDB and at other sources that this X Men movie may not be the last, perhaps the end of an era of X Men, but not as a whole... I'll see if I can find the links to back this up...

We haven't even seen the Sentinals, Appocalypse, and various other characters and villans... However, I'd rather see it end here then go the way of "Straight to DVD" as was mentioned earlier...
 
Canadian Speed
The Woverine movie could easily be made into a trilogy... First with simply Logan, then being used for Weapon X and finally Alpha Flight...
Last rumor I heard was this would be either Weapon X or between 1 and 2 where he remembers some of Weapon X while searching for the base and dealing with some other sort of antagonist. It would be cool if it was a final battle with Sabertooth so that it explains where Sabertooth disappeared to after the first movie.

Because of how he was setup in X-Men an Alpha Flight type movie wouldn't make much sense. If you remember he started out thinking the whole superhero team was a stupid idea.

However, I've read at IMDB and at other sources that this X Men movie may not be the last, perhaps the end of an era of X Men, but not as a whole... I'll see if I can find the links to back this up...
Well, of course not. The original plan was a trilogy, but now that it is big it will be played out until it sucks. I would rather see it end here. At this point the studio will ruin it.

We haven't even seen the Sentinals, Appocalypse, and various other characters and villans... However, I'd rather see it end here then go the way of "Straight to DVD" as was mentioned earlier...
I think they are avoiding the more campy aspects of X-Men, such as aliens, two-story tall robots, ancient Egyptian mutants infused with alien technology, and psychic realms. However there are many aspects of X-Men to still touch on. Heck, we still don't have Gambit.
 
FoolKiller
I think they are avoiding the more campy aspects of X-Men, such as aliens, two-story tall robots,...

No such luck, we get two-story tall robots in X3.
 
Really!!! That's pretty cool if they're bad ass... As for campy, you really can't get more campy then super heros in the first place... Really... Maybe a teenage wizard... Kidding... Potter-Heads don't flame me... It was a joke... Really...
 
danoff
No such luck, we get two-story tall robots in X3.
Don't toy with my emotions like that.



Here's some scenes from the movie they released to wet anyone's appetite. It will be a spoiler though for anyone who doesn't want to see more than a trailer. However, the Wolverine Forest Rage scene has me excited.


EDIT: Oh Sweet Jesus, you aren't toying with my emotions!
Definete spoiler clip, but we see Wolverine do what he does to Sentinels in only a way Wolverine can.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i7aHf5rDwas
 
FoolKiller
EDIT: Oh Sweet Jesus, you aren't toying with my emotions!
Definete spoiler clip, but we see Wolverine do what he does to Sentinels in only a way Wolverine can.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i7aHf5rDwas

Yup, I caught that clip on Leno. The Sentinels are in the movie, and it scares me. :scared: I really don't want this movie to suck.
 
danoff
Yup, I caught that clip on Leno. The Sentinels are in the movie, and it scares me. :scared: I really don't want this movie to suck.
Some rumors say that is a Danger Room sequence. That might be a way to explain off the campiness of a two-story robot. Of course, if they found a way to put them in the story (Bryain Singer wanted them in X2 but it was over budget) and make it not come off as cheesy it will be awesome.
 
Right... the danger room. I forgot about that. That would really help out to explain the overall feel of the scene. But then one has to fear the campiness associated with the danger room in the first place.
 
danoff
Right... the danger room. I forgot about that. That would really help out to explain the overall feel of the scene. But then one has to fear the campiness associated with the danger room in the first place.

As far as situations go, that's the most unrealistic part of the Xmen universe. But hey, let's not forget we're talking about a comic book here:)
 
Swift
As far as situations go, that's the most unrealistic part of the Xmen universe. But hey, let's not forget we're talking about a comic book here:)
Yeah, but it still sounds cooler than just shooting clay pigeons with optic beams, as seen in the first movie.
 
FoolKiller
Yeah, but it still sounds cooler than just shooting clay pigeons with optic beams, as seen in the first movie.

True enough. But that scene was so quick it was almost useless. It was just part of Xavier explaining the school.

Anyway, I guess as long as they explain the holograms. They are holograms, right?:dopey:
 
Swift
True enough. But that scene was so quick it was almost useless. It was just part of Xavier explaining the school.

Anyway, I guess as long as they explain the holograms. They are holograms, right?:dopey:
Kind of.

Here is the Wiki entry.
Wiki
After befriending the Shi'ar the X-Men rebuilt the Danger Room with Shi'ar hard-light holographic technology. These upgrades were largely added by Henry McCoy (Beast).
I have no clue how they explain that in the movie.

"You know, the alien race we met between films."
"Oh yeah. Those guys. How could I forget?"
 
FoolKiller
I have no clue how they explain that in the movie.

"You know, the alien race we met between films."
"Oh yeah. Those guys. How could I forget?"

ROFL:lol:
 
Well, I had the pleasure of seeing an advanced screening of X3 last night. I don’t want to ruin it for all but I was quite surprised with the movie. Not what I expect yet still awesome. Wolverine’s character was far better than in the previous two movies and my favorite character from the old comics, the beast, was fantastic. Juggernaut was awesome as well. If anyone want’s to know more just PM me, I don’t want to spoil it for all so I won’t post anymore up here.

Oh and the danger room is in the movie....
 
Gosh, I have no idea what you guys are talking about, since I've never read the comic. First two were awesome though, even if you've never read the comic. I hope the third will be the same way.
 
hey, what happend to jubilee(sp?)? why isnt she in the movie?
 
SS69
hey, what happend to jubilee(sp?)? why isnt she in the movie?
She only gets a cameo role as a student... tell you the truth, I completely missed it. But she is listed as being in the movie....
 
a6m5
Gosh, I have no idea what you guys are talking about, since I've never read the comic. First two were awesome though, even if you've never read the comic. I hope the third will be the same way.

Augh! Heresy! You've never read the comic?!?

Truth to tell, the comic isn't what it used to be... but back in the 80's and early 90's, they were some truly awesome comics. X-Men was (for want of a better metaphor) the "General Hospital" of the comics world. Huge, rotating, cast, lots and lots and lots of tiny subplots, soap opera style storylines, betrayals, reversals, etcetera, etcetera, etceterae...

It was about the only "mainstream" comic to really touch on social issues at all, discrimination, hate, politics... and it had a lot of that "angst" stuff. :lol:
 
niky
X-Men was (for want of a better metaphor) the "General Hospital" of the comics world.

lol, that's got to be the funniest metaphor I've read in a a fair while. Not wrong though. Jeez it was captivating to read and it did touch on some really serious issues.
 
a6m5
Gosh, I have no idea what you guys are talking about, since I've never read the comic. First two were awesome though, even if you've never read the comic. I hope the third will be the same way.
To save money you can actually find entire story lines bound into books so you only pay one price and don't have to hunt flea markets and comic shops for the missing comic in the middle of the story. Just visit a hobby or comioc shop, maybe even a bookstore and you can find them. Heck, Amazon probably even has them. And of course of you find you love the X-Men comics as much as teh movies you may want to definitely check out some of the solo titles, such as Wolverine (I highly recommend reading the Weapon X storyline), so that you have an even more in-depth understanding of the characters and where they come from.

For instance: the movies never touch on the fact that Storm is from Africa and was worshipped as a weather goddess or that Nightcrawler is supposedly Mystique's son. They also have not introduced every comic fans' favorite cajun, and Rogue's on and off boyfriend, Gambit. He's the only guy brave, or dumb, enough to try and have a physical relationship with Rogue. And of course up to now we have never seen more than a cameo of Beast, Colossus, or Jubilee. Angel has yet to be seen, but he is in the preview so I am happy about that. And of course, it might help to know what the Danger Room and a Sentinel is.

In reality if you read the comics you will understand that as long as the quality stays good they can make X-Men movies for decades.

Another option is to play the X-Men Legends games. There are some changes that I consider nearly blasphemos, but the games are fun and give you a general background on everyone. You get a decent history on what is going on.

SS69
hey, what happend to jubilee(sp?)? why isnt she in the movie?
Syntax error
She only gets a cameo role as a student... tell you the truth, I completely missed it. But she is listed as being in the movie....
(Spoiler if you haven't seen the first two movies.)
I clearly saw her in the first movie when Logan wanders into the classroom and Professor X excuses them. There is an Asian-American girl with spikey black hair and the yellow trench coat sitting next to Kitty Pride. They all leave and at the door Kitty stops and comes back for something she forgot and then runs through the closed door. Professor X sees Logan looking confused and he just says, "Physics," and holds up the textbook.

In the second movie she was one of the students captured and when Storm looks into the cage she even yells "Jubilee, hang on. We'll get you out of there," or something along those lines.

niky
Truth to tell, the comic isn't what it used to be... but back in the 80's and early 90's, they were some truly awesome comics. X-Men was (for want of a better metaphor) the "General Hospital" of the comics world. Huge, rotating, cast, lots and lots and lots of tiny subplots, soap opera style storylines, betrayals, reversals, etcetera, etcetera, etceterae...
All the old writers and artists have eventually gone on to start their own studios and/or create their own characters. Now it is all being done by fans who grew up dreaming of making comics, but lack the vision.

I haven't bought the comics regularly since the X-cutioner's Song storyline. It had too many crossovers and was nearly impossible to keep up with. By the time I finally got the entire collection it had been completed for a few months. I think it burned me out.
 
FoolKiller
All the old writers and artists have eventually gone on to start their own studios and/or create their own characters. Now it is all being done by fans who grew up dreaming of making comics, but lack the vision.

Too true... it's like modern studios trying to redo the Looney Tunes or the old Disney shorts. They may look the same on the surface, but the depth and character just aren't there.

But things change, *sigh*... and there's nothing much worse than a cranky purist who insists a Porsche ain't a Porsche unless the engine is in the rear, or a Mustang without a live-axle is unthinkable... :lol: ...with the X-Men, I'm the crazy old crankpot. :lol:

By the bye... if you like old X-books, old Doom Patrol comics were something like them (same mixture of comic book silliness, seriousness and drama), and the old Aces series of paperbacks is a great read. :) Actually, Aces was conceived of as a superhero series for adults, and though the offerings are a mixed bag (most collaborations are), there are some gems in there.

Hell, I would love a Doom Patrol movie or toon... but only Tim Burton would be wacky enough to even consider one.
 
Good reviews coming out... hopes going up.
 
danoff
Good reviews coming out... hopes going up.

I never trust reviews of movies. Reviews said Willow was weak, Star Wars was junk, Raiders of the Lost Ark was nothing, etc. They are very fickle, I cna't believe people are paid to critque movies. Anyway, I have good hopes for this one just because it's a very typical Xmen like storyline.

Also, I read on IGN that there is an extra scene after the credits. So hang out for a while and see what's going on with that. I have no clue what it is, but they say it's worth waiting around for.
 
Swift
I never trust reviews of movies. Reviews said Willow was weak, Star Wars was junk, Raiders of the Lost Ark was nothing, etc. They are very fickle, I cna't believe people are paid to critque movies. Anyway, I have good hopes for this one just because it's a very typical Xmen like storyline.

Also, I read on IGN that there is an extra scene after the credits. So hang out for a while and see what's going on with that. I have no clue what it is, but they say it's worth waiting around for.
But how often are good reviews wrong? Not nearly as often. Granted I have found myself wanting to commit suicide in Ya Ya Sisterhood and other things along those lines, but that is because it isn't for me. If I witnessed that in real life I would feel the same way.

But when tbney give a good review for a movie that is the kind of thing I want to see I am usually very happy.

I do have to admit, they were spot on with DaVinci Code.

Plus, I am seeing good reviews from all of the fanboy target sites as well.
 
FoolKiller
But how often are good reviews wrong? Not nearly as often. Granted I have found myself wanting to commit suicide in Ya Ya Sisterhood and other things along those lines, but that is because it isn't for me. If I witnessed that in real life I would feel the same way.

But when tbney give a good review for a movie that is the kind of thing I want to see I am usually very happy.

I do have to admit, they were spot on with DaVinci Code.

Plus, I am seeing good reviews from all of the fanboy target sites as well.

Yeah, I can't argue with your general point. But I find reviews of movies kinda like weather reporting. It's good for a general guide, but you're not going to know till you get through it. :sly:
 
Back