Xbox Series S Officially Unveiled at $299

The only thing I don't get with this machine is afaik it's not 4k but 1440p yes?

So although all other technical wizardry can put it in line with the 1X, the 1X can still run Forza @60fps but this cant/won't.

Combine that with the fact that most TVs (not including newer ones) either run 1080p or 4K but nothing in between means for most people they'll be stuck with 1080p resolution.

By all means make it cheaper/less powerful/no disc drive & all that but it still should of been optional 4k even if it means 30fps.
Its on par with xox, so it could all that xox can plus next gen at 1080p. This is the reason behind xox delisting

Its on par with xox, so it could all that xox can plus next gen at 1080p. This is the reason behind xox delisting
But it doesn't do 4K, 1440p is the maximum (I believe). So in terms of Forza 7 the 1X is still the best option.

Just want to state I've no interest in forza or this machine, I'm either getting the SX or a PC.

I just don't see the point of this over the 1X in terms of games that run native 4k (forza/gow/halo whatever) at the moment but then can't on SS

But it doesn't do 4K, 1440p is the maximum (I believe). So in terms of Forza 7 the 1X is still the best option.

Just want to state I've no interest in forza or this machine, I'm either getting the SX or a PC.

I just don't see the point of this over the 1X in terms of games that run native 4k (forza/gow/halo whatever) at the moment but then can't on SS

The Series S has a much better CPU and SSD which should result in performance on par with other next-gen systems.

One of the main limiting factors of current-gen consoles, including the Xbox One X is the Jaguar CPU. Despite the fact it can play games at 4K resolutions thanks to the 6TF GPU, You often found the same amount of on-screen details as regular consoles because pushing it further will cause frame rates to dip. This won't be a problem with the Series S; you will be able to experience more visual effects than a One X with far less frame rate dips, as well as faster loading times.

The Series S is mainly positioned towards those who plan on upgrading from a One S and want a next-gen experience optimized for 1080p/1440p displays; One X owners are better off upgrading to a Series X.

There is a trailer and the spec of the console here:

Series S Spec:
- All-digital
- 1440p up to 120 FPS
- DirectX raytracing
- Variable rate shading
- Variable refresh rate
- Ultra low latency
- Custom 512GB SSD
- 4k streaming and media playback
- 4k upscaling for games

it looks pretty good in terms of its specs, I don't need 4k and if the frame rates will be the same on both version I don't mind picking up the Series S. The lack of disc drive might be a problem, I have some Xbox 360 BC games on disc.

The only thing I don't get with this machine is afaik it's not 4k but 1440p yes?

So although all other technical wizardry can put it in line with the 1X, the 1X can still run Forza @60fps but this cant/won't.

Combine that with the fact that most TVs (not including newer ones) either run 1080p or 4K but nothing in between means for most people they'll be stuck with 1080p resolution.

By all means make it cheaper/less powerful/no disc drive & all that but it still should of been optional 4k even if it means 30fps.

TV resolutions tend to be dynamic to the content. You’d have to buy a really bad TV to not benefit from 1440p resolution on a 4K unit.

There is a trailer and the spec of the console here:

Series S Spec:
- All-digital
- 1440p up to 120 FPS
- DirectX raytracing
- Variable rate shading
- Variable refresh rate
- Ultra low latency
- Custom 512GB SSD
- 4k streaming and media playback
- 4k upscaling for games

it looks pretty good in terms of its specs, I don't need 4k and if the frame rates will be the same on both version I don't mind picking up the Series S. The lack of disc drive might be a problem, I have some Xbox 360 BC games on disc.

Decent capabilities for the price. Slightly small on the SSD size considering it’s a digital console though. The lack of a disc drive is kind of the point of this console.

A lot of kids are going to get the "wrong" Xbox from their grandparents this Christmas.

I like the idea of a 1080P console that can still play all next-gen games but Microsoft's naming standard and release cycle is going to cause massive confusion.

I've been actively working with next-gen consoles for the last few months and I'm still confused as to where in the lineup the Series X is supposed to fit. Their marketing is going to have to be very very clever to avoid confusion over this among shoppers.

I guess the range now sits like this, One S, Series S, Series X. Bit bizarre the lowest tier model having a disk drive and the one above it not having one.

Knew those 'half height' Series S renders were nonsense. Looks nothing like the Series X, its a One S with a black air intake. Not a looker but the price is competitive.

I guess the range now sits like this, One S, Series S, Series X. Bit bizarre the lowest tier model having a disk drive and the one above it not having one.

Knew those 'half height' Series S renders were nonsense. Looks nothing like the Series X, its a One S with a black air intake. Not a looker but the price is competitive.

I wonder if they will re-body the One S and sell it under a new name once next gen releases to make it less confusing. They did the same with the 360

I wonder if they will re-body the One S and sell it under a new name once next gen releases to make it less confusing. They did the same with the 360

I've been thinking they really should do that just for the sake of clarity, call it the Series T or something and give it a slightly new design.

I get the feeling Microsoft are going full Tesla and are gonna introduce a Series 3 later down the line. :lol:

I wouldn't rule out a handheld form factor primarily for xCloud services.

I get the feeling Microsoft are going full Tesla and are gonna introduce a Series 3 later down the line. :lol:

I wouldn't rule out a handheld form factor primarily for xCloud services.

I guess with the Surface Duo mobile now in the hands of influences it won't be long before we start seeing exactly that. Surface Xbox dual screen flagship gaming phone?

Ironically it would probably cost more than the Series X.

uffff, quite an unexpected boner. I don't use 4k and never will until devs and TV manufacturers enforcement on me, and with a price of just three hundred bucks the only thing this new gen console needs is, as opposed to MS last gen disaster, games. Lots of games and exclusives.

Problem is that also having quite a powerful pc, and with Microsoft releasing every xbox tittle on it as well, perhaps not even this surprisingly reduced price tag is in order yet. That is nowadays problem in buying a xbox console if you have a PC, hence I don't understand MS policy on unifying everything. It doesn't make much sense if you wanna sell consoles, let alone when you could sell a lot of them costing €300 only.

I've been thinking they really should do that just for the sake of clarity, call it the Series T or something and give it a slightly new design.

Or Series O, then you could say Series Old One.. ha!

Xbox Series X - Max spec and will play all current games, some at high fidelity, plus next gen games at high fidelity.
Xbox Series S - Medium spec and will play all current games, some at high fidelity, plus next gen games at low fidelity.
Xbox One X - High spec and will play all current games, some at high fidelity, and next gen games at lower fidelity, for a limited time.
Xbox One S - Low spec and will play all current games and next gen games at very low fidelity for a limited time.
Xbox One - Low spec and will play all current games and next gen games at very low fidelity for a limited time.
Xbox One SAD - Low spec and will play all current games and next gen games at very low fidelity for a limited time as long as you don't need a disc drive.

Is that right?

Being serious for a minute, the only thing wrong with this is the size of the SSD, (as others have said). Being so small will mean swapping games in and out from an external drive which will be a pain.

Knowing this price now it makes me think that we can quite easily guess the price of the SX at £450-£499... :)

Being serious for a minute, the only thing wrong with this is the size of the SSD, (as others have said). Being so small will mean swapping games in and out from an external drive which will be a pain.

Knowing this price now it makes me think that we can quite easily guess the price of the SX at £450-£499... :)

The recent leak nailed the price of the S so I think the $499/£449/€499 price seems pretty fair to assume. But hopefully they'll just cut the chords and start flowing info now that we have the first concrete bits.

uffff, quite an unexpected boner. I don't use 4k and never will until devs and TV manufacturers enforcement on me
Why "never"?

I had a 1080P TV. It developed a fault after about 6 years so I bought a new UHD TV to replace it. I'd never buy a 1080P TV again - what would be the point?

Last edited:
I'm not quite sure what I've seen here, but now you're going to have to see it as well:

EhYLm9JWkAAZb4f.jpg

TV resolutions tend to be dynamic to the content. You’d have to buy a really bad TV to not benefit from 1440p resolution on a 4K unit.

Not necessarily, I have a 2017 Samsung hdr1000 10bit 120hz panel which can do 5:5 pull down on film mode, low latency under 18ms in game mode & also does the 4:4:4 thingy (whatever that is) now for a mid range 2017 tv I personally wouldn't call it bad. But if I try to manually put my 1X into 1440p it's not having it. (unless it only allows it in PC mode which tbh I've not tried)

Also not everyone is going to have a decent tv as such, a big 65" hdr TV yes but you can get them for £500 or less nowadays.

Well One X is discontinued and all the current gen consoles only have a limited time promise that next gen first party titles will work on the current consoles.

I bet it will be compatible with the SSD expansion cards that MS has announced

Not necessarily, I have a 2017 Samsung hdr1000 10bit 120hz panel which can do 5:5 pull down on film mode, low latency under 18ms in game mode & also does the 4:4:4 thingy (whatever that is) now for a mid range 2017 tv I personally wouldn't call it bad. But if I try to manually put my 1X into 1440p it's not having it. (unless it only allows it in PC mode which tbh I've not tried)

Also not everyone is going to have a decent tv as such, a big 65" hdr TV yes but you can get them for £500 or less nowadays.

Bad was probably the wrong term. Lesser spec, bearing in mind 3 years is a long time in technology. 3 years ago dynamic resplutiom may have simply been expected of higher spec models but nowadays I would expect that to jurt be standard on modern 4k TVs.

No doubt but these will probably be quite pricy which defeats the object of saving money and buying an S over an X which has a bigger drive.
yeah buy expansion ssd to xss and price will be much closer to xsx but still you have console with 3x slower gpu and with lower ram amount

Why "never"?

I had a 1080P TV. It developed a fault after about 6 years so I bought a new UHD TV to replace it. I'd never buy a 1080P TV again - what would be the point?
Because I'm very happy with 1080p, hence I don't need the unnecessary investment on a 4k monitor, which btw would force me to upgrade my PC as well.

I don't use TV's for gaming, neither for consoles because of the lag. I use monitors, so this console for me has been quite a nice surprise (so long I forget they're going to charge you €70 for next gens, there's them trick you know, don't forget that).

Also, I don't have 4k for watching TV and don't need it, cause I'm perfectly happy with my 1080p TV as well, which would serve me to play on this new console as well, and with new gen games. I'm a simple man for these things, and don't need 4k to be happy. 1080p looks just that good to me, and don't need more.

And your experience with that 1080p TV was just bad luck and you know that well, unless you haven't told me everything about that 1080p tv purchase.

snc
still you have console with 3x slower gpu and with lower ram amount
Which shouldn't be a problem to play the same new gen games at 1080p with high fidelity graphics, which is the purpose of this console. It's very obvious.

This console is very very interesting indeed, so long you forget that the games for it will also be on PC, and if you have one then...

Back