Xbox Series S Officially Unveiled at $299

Microsoft: Look at our brand new console!
The internet:

upload_2020-9-8_13-53-21.png

I know this is touted as a 1080P 1440k machine for the next gen titles but are we sure that it won't be able to run the Xbox One games that are 4k at... 4k ? via Backwards Compitibility ?

I know this is touted as a 1080P 1440k machine for the next gen titles but are we sure that it won't be able to run the Xbox One games that are 4k at... 4k ? via Backwards Compitibility ?

Yep. Because according to whats been released it won't. 1440p max. 4k for media playback and 4k upscaling. So pretty much identical to the Xbox One S. But with updated bits. This was all confirmed in the trailer.

Yep. Because according to whats been released it won't. 1440p max. 4k for media playback and 4k upscaling. So pretty much identical to the Xbox One S. But with updated bits. This was all confirmed in the trailer.

I'm sure your right but my thinking is that if it's more powerful than the XB1X then it could, in theory, run it's 4k games... but I guess if the graphics card can't do 4k then it can't do 4k.

I'm sure your right but my thinking is that if it's more powerful than the XB1X then it could, in theory, run it's 4k games... but I guess if the graphics card can't do 4k then it can't do 4k.

Honestly I think its by design rather than a lack of capability. If it could do 4k then there would be genuinely very little reason to buy the X.

There's still so many unknowns though.

I didn't expect this version to be that cheap. :eek:

That said there are many compromises in a lot of areas compared to the disc version.

It will put pressure on Sony because their two versions of the console are exactly the same, afaik, bar the disc, so the savings M$ can make with this version may not be able to be replicated by Sony's digital only PS5. The disc-less version of the PS5 may look expensive in comparison to the Series S to those who may not know that there has been more taken away from the XBox Series S than just the disc. It will be up to Sony's marketing to make it clear why their disc-less PS5 is more expensive than the Series S, should it turn out to be.

So how much will M$ add for the disc and extra power! :confused: £200+! There was talk of a £50- £100 difference in the cost of the PS5 versions. Basically the cost of a disc, with a bit more on top.

I still think there will be confusion with the naming of the M$ machines.

Honestly I think its by design rather than a lack of capability. If it could do 4k then there would be genuinely very little reason to buy the X.

There's still so many unknowns though.

I'm sure you know this but I'm just thinking about XB One 4k games, it obviously wouldn't be able to run next gen 4k games.

Interesting times..

Cheap it may be, but im calling DOA... Its cheaper overall to buy second hand games / full power console in the long run, you cant do that without a disc drive...

I was thinking this exact thing. I feel for the people who buy this and realize this when it’s already too late.

To those speaking on potential problems due to the naming conventions, I imagine people will just say, "the white one that looks like a speaker", or "the black rectangular one". Heck, just "the black/white one" will suffice. Along with the correlating letters, there's a black X, a white S, & a black S". Should make things easier for shopping gift buyers.

To those speaking on potential problems due to the naming conventions, I imagine people will just say, "the white one that looks like a speaker", or "the black rectangular one". Heck, just "the black/white one" will suffice. Along with the correlating letters, there's a black X, a white S, & a black S". Should make things easier for shopping gift buyers.

Yeah the Series S and X won’t be too easy to mix up, but the One S is very similar in name, shape, and color. Most parents won’t know the difference. Heck my parents called any console we had growing up a “Nintendo”

Lets hope they keep to the same colours eh! ;)

As well as looking like a speaker, a camping cooking hob came to my mind too. :eek: :lol:

XSS for 1080p, XSX for 4k.

I thought so, too. But i think it will be more complicated. XSS should be capable of 4K, i dont think that they will release a new console un 2020 that doesent have 4K capabilitys. The question here is - true 4K or not? My guess is the XSX will run most current gen games at 4K (upscaled from 1440p in some cases) but will struggle to do so in true next gen games. Microsoft will propably have some upscaling at work here, too. What the XSX wont be able to do is Raytracing or 120 fps. My guess at least.

EDIT: Nevermind me. Just read it will be a 1440p machine with Raytracing and 120 fps support. Quite impressive.

If it does 1440p@60 fps or more all day I’m in as I’m not interested in 4k TVs or HDR o ray tracing nonsense. I haven’t bought anything physical for years, so the lack of physical media doesn’t bother me. I wonder if the financing scheme will be available where I live. Also,
Buying or building a PC with similar performance would cost twice as much.

But we still don't have a price or date for the Series X.

One can assume it will launch the same day as the Series S but the price (heavily rumoured to be $499) is still elusive.

Which shouldn't be a problem to play the same new gen games at 1080p with high fidelity graphics, which is the purpose of this console. It's very obvious.

This console is very very interesting indeed, so long you forget that the games for it will also be on PC, and if you have one then...
point is buying xss and expansion disk for it is not best idea

Funny to see smallness as an advertising point for consoles. ...As if the target audience here is Hong Kong cage people.

Funny to see smallness as an advertising point for consoles. ...As if the target audience here is Hong Kong cage people.

When the original Xbox launched in Japan the size of the console and the size of the Duke controller were criticised and that did affect sales (as well as the lack of games).

So I guess yeah it does kinda matter in some markets. :D

snc
point is buying xss and expansion disk for it is not best idea

Depends on the cost of the expansion disc.

Proof will be in the pudding, once we get some idea of how next gen games will run and look on this console. Until then its too early to say whether its good value or not. It certainly looks it in paper but without the context of actual gameplay or comparison to the XSX and no pricepoint for the latter its all just still up in the air.

Back