Xbox Series S Officially Unveiled at $299

Yeah the Series S and X won’t be too easy to mix up, but the One S is very similar in name, shape, and color. Most parents won’t know the difference. Heck my parents called any console we had growing up a “Nintendo”
So they called it something that wasn't even remotely close to it's name and they still managed to buy the right one? I think we'll be ok with the current naming conventions then. :lol:

So they called it something that wasn't even remotely close to it's name and they still managed to buy the right one? I think we'll be ok with the current naming conventions then. :lol:

LOL no my brother would buy them. But if they ever had to buy one they would definitely have come home with whichever Nintendo console was the newest haha

So a 300 bucks 1440p machine, slap on an Xbox Game Pass sub, no fiddling with discs. Sounds great to me. 👍

I am still happy with the xbox one x, it pretty much does the same thing as the series x. maybe time will tell and 8k forget about it, i dont see the x series putting out anything 8k whatsoever!! even when the xbox one x came out the developers couldnt even hit true 4k at 30fps let alone 60fps.

Funny to see smallness as an advertising point for consoles. ...As if the target audience here is Hong Kong cage people.

Not really. For example, my TV bench has two “rooms”. One side is occupied by a stereo amplifier and the other side is occupied by a PS4. Room for nothing else in there, so my Xbox One has to sit at the floor, which isn’t ideal. However this new Xbox Series S might actually fit in right next to another device and still have enough breathing space for both.

Not really. For example, my TV bench has two “rooms”. One side is occupied by a stereo amplifier and the other side is occupied by a PS4. Room for nothing else in there, so my Xbox One has to sit at the floor, which isn’t ideal. However this new Xbox Series S might actually fit in right next to another device and still have enough breathing space for both.
Same. Size matters. As do aesthetics (not that both of these are great lookers :lol:) Also, my kid often takes his console with him when he goes to play at someone elses house. Small/light is definitely an advantage for him.

So although all other technical wizardry can put it in line with the 1X, the 1X can still run Forza @60fps but this cant/won't.
Series S is much stronger than Xbox One X in anything, except GPU. Even the less amount of RAM shouldn't be a issue, considering Microsoft and Sony explained in length how these consoles thanks to SSD can use the RAM pool more efficiently.

GPU should be slightly better than One X GPU in real time performance. More modern architecture, VRS, ... .

Its on par with xox, so it could all that xox can plus next gen at 1080p. This is the reason behind xox delisting
Nope.
But it doesn't do 4K, 1440p is the maximum (I believe). So in terms of Forza 7 the 1X is still the best option
The 1440p figure is for next gen games. The console supports the same HDMI standard like PS5 and XsX. Therefore 4K and 8K for that matter is possible to output.

If the leaks are right native 4K on current gen games should be possible, cause Series S wipes the floor with the One X in everything, except the GPU and amount of RAM. But the GPU, while having less TF, is still better in real performance than One X. And the new consoles don't need to preload as much data into RAM thanks to SSD.

I am still happy with the xbox one x, it pretty much does the same thing as the series x
i dont see the x series putting out anything 8k whatsoever!! even when the xbox one x came out the developers couldnt even hit true 4k at 30fps let alone 60fps
images (143).jpeg

Learn how computer hardware in general works, then come back again.

I am still happy with the xbox one x, it pretty much does the same thing as the series x. maybe time will tell and 8k forget about it, i dont see the x series putting out anything 8k whatsoever!! even when the xbox one x came out the developers couldnt even hit true 4k at 30fps let alone 60fps.

There are loads of games that achieved 4k60. I'm a critic of the Series X but its clearly a vastly superior console to the One X. To say otherwise shows a real lack of knowledge and understanding of hardware.

Are these monthly $25/$35 figures basically a finance-type deal for either console for 2 years with a Game Pass plan thrown in? I'm fearing it's too early in the morning & I'm lost on what exactly these monthly fees entail.

Are these monthly $25/$35 figures basically a finance-type deal for either console for 2 years with a Game Pass plan thrown in? I'm fearing it's too early in the morning & I'm lost on what exactly these monthly fees entail.
Correct. You get the console and 24 months of Xbox Game Pass Ultimate. Which also includes EA Play.

Have they announced how XBox Live will work with the next gen. yet since Gold is being done away with?
Article says that's part of the Xbox Game Pass Ultimate Sub. :)

Oh, and xCloud also included (the cloud gaming thing)! :cheers:

EDIT: Pretty good deal IMO. Already have Game Pass, will probably upgrade it and get a Series S.

Article says that's part of the Xbox Game Pass Ultimate Sub. :)

Oh, and xCloud also included (the cloud gaming thing)! :cheers:

EDIT: Pretty good deal IMO. Already have Game Pass, will probably upgrade it and get a Series S.
Interesting. I have a Game Pass Ultimate Sub. now til' December, but I'm not really using it that much b/c I usually jump on to play the same 2-4 games I've actually bought previously, so I'd be disappointed if I have to buy a Game Pass subscription if I want to play multiplayer. I'm hoping I'm way off base on that, though.

Interesting. I have a Game Pass Ultimate Sub. now til' December, but I'm not really using it that much b/c I usually jump on to play the same 2-4 games I've actually bought previously, so I'd be disappointed if I have to buy a Game Pass subscription if I want to play multiplayer. I'm hoping I'm way off base on that, though.
Article says nothing on being able to separately get Live or not. I assume that's still possible for those that just buy the console and a few physical games.

We need healthy competition in the console market, Im not seeing it from Microsoft. They're all over the place with their hardware and crucially lacking in compelling software too...
And that's exactly the way i see it as well,what good is a cheap console if you ain't got the compelling exclusive software and knowing sony been spending big on getting exclusive content and /or games,you make a guess where the best place is to play right?

I don't have a lot of faith in the PS5 rumor, as Sony explicitly said not to expect PS5 news this week (as they are doing a PSVR week).
I hope so - I'm exhausted from writing all these Xbox articles...
I think next week is likely
I'm away for a lot of next week, so if that happens I think @Jordan will be exhausted from writing all the PS5 articles! :lol:

Rjo
And that's exactly the way i see it as well,what good is a cheap console if you ain't got the compelling exclusive software and knowing sony been spending big on getting exclusive content and /or games,you make a guess where the best place is to play right?
Well you can't play Forza games on PS. So for people like me Xbox is the way to go. I have to argue that best place to play comment.

a single Series S Teraflop could offer far better performacne then a single Teraflop of One X performance
It could, but things don't always progress in that direction. With the 3070 and 3080, Nvidia has gone in the opposite direction, and a theoretical FLO can be worth as little as half what it was in a 2000 series card, because the FLOs compete with the IOs. If you're using IOs at the full rate, you can only use FLOs at half rate. So 30 TFLOPS for the 3080 becomes 15, which is why it doesn't provide anything like the performance improvement we'd expect from the massive headline TFLOPS. We'll just have to wait and see what the Series S is capable of in practice.

Rjo
you make a guess where the best place is to play right?
With MS releasing first party games for both Xbox and Windows and Sony also considering to release their first party titles on Windows that would be the PC. :)

With MS releasing first party games for both Xbox and Windows and Sony also considering to release their first party titles on Windows that would be the PC. :)
And with it stated that FH4 will run at 4k/60 on Series X, whereas Nvidia are saying it will run at 4k/144 on a 3080, it's clear you can get a much better experience on PC, albeit at a high price when you include the cost of a 4k/144 screen.

And with it stated that FH4 will run at 4k/60 on Series X, whereas Nvidia are saying it will run at 4k/144 on a 3080, it's clear you can get a much better experience on PC, albeit at a high price when you include the cost of a 4k/144 screen.
Yup. But being able to play all the latest and greatest at 4k/60 for 500 bucks or1440p/60 for 300 bucks is pretty great value if you don't want to/can't spend a whole lot of cash. Ok, no PS exclusives but I haven't played those anyway, at least not until they came to PC. ;) I'd say MS strategy is pretty solid, there's something for every wallet.

"Backwards compatibility = ALL XBOX TITLES" Im sure hoping they really mean ALL xbox titles, I want to be able to put my Rallisport challenge 2 disc or GTA 3 disc into the console and it just plays it. Even if its a bit buggy like how the xbox360 done it. Not that Rallisport challenge 2 was even supported with the xbox360 backwards compatibility, but hey the hardware is now there to make this possible.

Back