You learn something new... - Cars you didn't know existed, until now!

• Thread starter Rue
  • 6,192 comments
1993 Intercoast GTP

This mid-engined, low-and-wide four-door supercar is surprisingly based off the Ford Taurus SHO out of all cars. In the interior, the driver seat was in the center with two seats behind it, therefore it sat three. Power figures and performance stats are unknown.
It looks like a sedan and a supercar had a baby...

1993 Intercoast GTP

Looks like a cyclops.

I still want it though.

----------------

Thanks @dragster666! :cheers:

Peugeot Proxima Concept 1986

4517364_2a46a4c00aa91bf98b894732512e68f8_wm.jpg

The body of this coupe is 1374 kg, created by the Peugeot Style Center and inspired by the work of the designer Luigi Colani. It is composed of composite materials, including resins and carbon fiber, and a large glazed polycarbonate cockpit.

The vehicle is powered by a twin-turbo V6 engine, 24 valves, 2849 cc, 680 hp, for a top speed of 348 km / h. A traction control solution provides automatic adaptation of the transmission between propulsion and four-wheel drive when a risk of rear wheel slip is detected.

Two on-board computers and five high definition color displays assist the driver with one of the first prototypes of satellite navigation system (GPS), five cameras, a collision-avoidance radar and an electronic key-card. The heat produced by the sun on the large glass dome of the cockpit is cooled at rest by a temperature regulation powered by solar panel on the rear cover.

633.jpg

2677697781_e9c43bc2dc_b.jpg

peugeot-proxima.jpg

449851468-peugeot-proxima.jpg

It's so crazy that I love it! :drool::drool::drool:

This mid-engined, low-and-wide four-door supercar is surprisingly based off the Ford Taurus SHO out of all cars. In the interior, the driver seat was in the center with two seats behind it, therefore it sat three. Power figures and performance stats are unknown.
They almost certainly just put the Taurus front subframe in the back and locked the tie rods like on the Fiero and called it. It's not like it had to do much but putt around from a trailer to a convention booth and back.

Looks like a cyclops.

I still want it though.

----------------

Thanks @dragster666! :cheers:

Peugeot Proxima Concept 1986

4517364_2a46a4c00aa91bf98b894732512e68f8_wm.jpg

The body of this coupe is 1374 kg, created by the Peugeot Style Center and inspired by the work of the designer Luigi Colani. It is composed of composite materials, including resins and carbon fiber, and a large glazed polycarbonate cockpit.

The vehicle is powered by a twin-turbo V6 engine, 24 valves, 2849 cc, 680 hp, for a top speed of 348 km / h. A traction control solution provides automatic adaptation of the transmission between propulsion and four-wheel drive when a risk of rear wheel slip is detected.

Two on-board computers and five high definition color displays assist the driver with one of the first prototypes of satellite navigation system (GPS), five cameras, a collision-avoidance radar and an electronic key-card. The heat produced by the sun on the large glass dome of the cockpit is cooled at rest by a temperature regulation powered by solar panel on the rear cover.

633.jpg

2677697781_e9c43bc2dc_b.jpg

peugeot-proxima.jpg

449851468-peugeot-proxima.jpg

It's so crazy that I love it! :drool::drool::drool:

This car went full Hot-Wheels and I love it.

When it comes to partnerships between automakers and fashion designers, the venture between AMC and Levi's that resulted in denim covered seats is arguably the most famous example. However, the company didn't stop at jeans, and set their sights on forming relationships with a number of top European designers of the day, which resulted in the following three models. First, we have the Gucci Hornet Sportabout.
1972-Hornet-Gucci-Sportabout-AAA.jpg

This special trim package was available exclusively on the Sportabout wagon variant of the recently introduced Hornet. The main exterior differences were minor, limited to a small badge depicting the Gucci family crest, and a limited color selection of dark green which played off of the unique interior well. Speaking of which, the inside came upholstered in the bold green and red striping of the Italian fashion house, and was offset with white accents. Other than appearances however, it was the same equipment wise as any other Hornet. Unless you were Aldo Gucci, then president of Gucci, who had a few extra luxuries added to a one-off example.
300991.jpg
8a43a8b54cc5c5e721b8e053ec929cbc.jpg

301001.jpg
amc_hornet_gucci_sportabout.jpg

The main attractions were the revised interior pattern, consisting of a more subtle black and checkerboard pattern, a small pull-out desk in the dash, fold-down drink trays in the seatbacks, and a custom made grille to top it all off. But AMC was only getting started, next releasing a designer special edition for the Javelin ala Pierre Cardin.
23084f51890fa65931d3f6f540c0a1fd.jpg

I would say this one is my personal favorite, since the elegant colors and clean design of the stripes just come together so beautifully. As with the Gucci Hornet, the main feature of the Cardin Javelin was it's interior upholstery, and what an interior. The stripes wound their way over each seat, and even made it to the headliner and door panels for that extra bit of flair. Finally, the last in our trio of fashion statements is the Oleg Cassini Matador Coupe.
1975-amc-oleg-casinie-matador-coup-4.jpg

This was arguably the most boring of the three collaborations, as the interior gained a nice pillow top finish and embroidered logos and...that's pretty much it. Unlike the other two, most of the differences were actually on the exterior. In the case of the Matador, there were a number of bronze highlights added, from the grille and headlight bezels, to the wheel covers and vinyl clad roof.
a2ccf8ce06200a65937d7706ef95e9d1.jpg

These designer editions paved the way for the endless Eddie-Bauer Explorers and L.L. Bean Outbacks, as well as all the odd ball pairings in between like the Nautica Villager or the Fila Thunderbird. They're an interesting piece of marketing history, being bold enough to try mixing two very different industries and demographics into one cohesive product.

1993 Intercoast GTP

Right, I'm a bit late on this, and also sorry, but I couldn't resist

1935 Delage D8 105 Sport coupé by Autobineau

I consider myself fairly well schooled on European coachbuilders from the Interwar years, but this is the first I've ever heard of Autobineau. In 1934 Delage launched a couple variants of the D8 including the flagship D8-105. It used a 3,570cc inline-8 engine designed by Arthur-Léon Michelat. The D8-105 was offered in Sport and Légère (Light) versions. Both came with the twin-plug, high-compression engine and were offered at 68,000 Francs and 75,000 Francs respectively. For the D8-105, Delage commissioned Letourneur et Marchand to design a new coupe body which was illustrated in the 1934/1935 Delage catalogue. Four cars were made up to this design and one achieved 152 kph at Montlhéry. In April of 1935, Delage was bought outright by Delahaye and the model range was updated to reflect Delahaye designs with Delage engines and hydraulics. Autobineau bodied the other four: two on the ‘S’ chassis (one left-hand drive, one right-hand drive) and two on the ‘L’ chassis (one left-hand drive, one right-hand drive). This car – right-hand drive chassis number ‘40123’ – is the only known survivor of these four. It's a truly elegant design with a light, airy greenhouse and smooth lines. I need to find more of their designs, find out who their designer was. This is stunning.

Last edited:

1935 Delage D8-105 Sport Coupé with coachwork by Autobineau

I consider myself fairly well schooled on European coachbuilders from the Interwar years, but this is the first I've ever heard of Autobineau. In 1934 Delage launched a couple variants of the D8 including the flagship D8-105. It used a 3,570cc inline-8 engine designed by Arthur-Léon Michelat. The D8-105 was offered in Sport and Légère (Light) versions. Both came with the twin-plug, high-compression engine and were offered at 68,000 Francs and 75,000 Francs respectively. For the D8-105, Delage commissioned Letourneur et Marchand to design a new coupe body which was illustrated in the 1934/1935 Delage catalogue. Four cars were made up to this design and one achieved 152 kph at Montlhéry. In April of 1935, Delage was bought outright by Delahaye and the model range was updated to reflect Delahaye designs with Delage engines and hydraulics. Autobineau bodied the other four: two on the ‘S’ chassis (one left-hand drive, one right-hand drive) and two on the ‘L’ chassis (one left-hand drive, one right-hand drive). This car – right-hand drive chassis number ‘40123’ – is the only known survivor of these four. It's a truly elegant design with a light, airy greenhouse and smooth lines. I need to find more of their designs, find out who their designer was. This is stunning.
This is a new one for me also. Delages are gorgeous machines.

Well, it got me very curious as I really love the old Delages, and it seems there's a bit more information on Autobineau in French as you would imagine. Turns out it was a subsidiary of Letourneur et Marchand, that was mostly used as a way to build bodies in greater volumes.

There's even a very expensive, French only book written about them.
https://www.librairie-passionautomo...ers-francais-9791028301415-9791028301415.html

While I was searching random photos on Flickr I cam across this:

Fiat 8V

fiat_8v_coupe_4.jpeg

The Fiat 8V (or "Otto Vu") is a V8-engined sports car produced by the Italian car manufacturer Fiat from 1952 to 1954. The car was introduced at the 1952 Geneva Motor Show. The Fiat 8V got its name because at the time of its making, Fiat believed Ford had a copyright on "V8". With 114 made, the 8V wasn't a commercial success, but did well in racing. Apart from the differential the car did not share any parts with the other Fiats (but many parts were made by Siata and they used them for their cars). The 8V was developed by Dante Giacosa and the stylist Luigi Rapi. The engine was a V8 originally designed for a luxury sedan, but that project was stopped.

The Fiat V8 had a 70 degree V configuration, displaced 1,996 cc and was fitted with two twin-choke Weber 36 DCF 3 carburettors. In its first iteration (type 104.000) the engine had a compression ratio of 8.5:1 and produced 105 PS (77 kW; 104 hp) at 5,600 rpm, giving the car a top speed of 190 km/h (118 mph). Improved type 104.003 had different camshaft timing for 115 PS (85 kW; 113 hp) at 6,000 rpm; finally type 104.006 with an 8.75:1 compression ratio, revised camshaft timing and fuel system put out 127 PS (93 kW; 125 hp) at 6,600 rpm. The engine was connected to a four speed gearbox. The car had independent suspension all round and drum brakes on all four wheels.

34 of the cars had a factory produced bodywork by Fiat's Reparto Carrozzerie Speciali ("Special Bodies Department"). Some cars had the bodywork done by other Italian coachbuilders. Carozzeria Zagato made 30 that they labelled "Elaborata Zagato". Ghia and Vignale also made bodyworks. Most were coupés, but some cabriolets were made as well.

Fiat_8V_Zagato_%2826304820441%29.jpg

Please don't come at me if you knew this car already. :(

1991 Lotus Emotion Concept

tumblr_p8hc6zpSWV1ti77kbo4_1280.jpg

tumblr_p8hc6zpSWV1ti77kbo2_1280.jpg

tumblr_p8hc6zpSWV1ti77kbo3_1280.jpg

tumblr_p8hc6zpSWV1ti77kbo1_1280.jpg

During the early 1990s, GM had an interest in Lotus, therefore Bertone produced this concept as a proposal for an Esprit replacement. There were rumors that this concept had actually been Bertone’s submission for the styling of the Bugatti EB110 but Marcello Gandini’s design was chosen instead. Either way, it never made it into production. This mid-engined, rear wheel drive car was powered by a 2.2L turbocharged four-cylinder engineered by GM which made 265hp and 261 lb-ft of torque, mated to a 5-speed manual. It was supposed to reach 0-60 in under 5 seconds and have a top speed of 170mph.

I have never seen or heard of this particular Ferrari till the Ferrari Days at the Nürburgring 2 weeks ago. it looks really sleek in reallife. Also it was completely different looking compared to all the other Ferraris which were there. (like it isn't even a Ferrari)
A front engined 2+2 Seater.

Ferrari 365 GTC/4

Ferrari-365-GTC4.jpg
This is a new one on me, too. Definitely very attractive. Surprised they only made it for two years.

Back